Ray Fittipaldo's Steelers chat transcript: 5.15.17
    Uplandram2
    Site Admin
    Role: Resident Cocksman

Ray Fittipaldo's Steelers chat transcript: 5.15.17

by Uplandram2 » Sun May 21, 2017 1:21 am

Ray Fittipaldo: Welcome to my Steelers chat. Let's get it going.

PGH: Hi Ray, Clearly the Steelers liked TE Phazan Odom, as they signed him to the 90 man roster, but did any of the other tryout attendees look promising? In the sense that we might see them added down the line if the team needs more bodies this summer?
    Ray Fittipaldo: They also signed former Pitt LB Matt Galambos. I saw the Odom it as well. The Steelers likely will formally announce these moves this afternoon. And yes, even if a tryout guy is not signed to the 90-man roster now if he made a positive impression he could be added later if there are injuries.

Guest: What do you think of that Keith Kelsey that the Steelers signed as an undrafted free agent? He seems like he has some potential, with some seasoning.
    Ray Fittipaldo: He was one of the guys who reportedly got a $10,000 signing bonus to sign as an undrafted free agent so other teams were after him. The Steelers could use some depth at ILB and maybe he'll be in the competition for a roster spot. But asking me for an impression after rookie minicamp...I don't have one. Have to see these guys in training camp and preseason games, especially ILBs.

FRANK CA: NOW THAT THE FIRST COUPLE OF DAYS OF THE ROOKIE CAMP ARE DONE, ARE THERE ANY NAMES OTHER THAN WATT THAT HAVE JUST STOOD OUT OR MAYBE SURPRISED?
    Ray Fittipaldo: I liked what I saw from Cam Sutton. He made some nice plays. Gerry Dulac wrote about Brian Allen today. He made a spectacular interception, one for the highlight reels. JuJu looked good catching the ball. Again, it's hard to draw conclusions from a few practices in shorts, but those were my first impressions of some of the draft picks.

Guest: What is your take on Francis Kallon?
    Ray Fittipaldo: I'm writing about Kallon now. I'll have a story in the paper and online at post-gazette.com tomorrow. He has an interesting back story.

Guest: How much do the training camp rookie invitees (unsigned tryout dudes) get paid to show up? Like $10/hr I'd guess.
    Ray Fittipaldo: It's not much. I imagine they get their transportation and hotel plus meals paid for. Not sure after that.

Guest: I think one of the most underrated additions to this team this offseason is Tyson Alualu. He's a former Top 10 pick who has started for a few years in JAX and he can come in and immediately bring strong rotational support to the DL. Can you say a few words on what a player like that can mean to this defense? Thanks.
    Ray Fittipaldo: Yeah I definitely think he'll be an upgrade over Ricardo Mathews. Alualu is a big strong guy, is solid against the run. I don't think he's shown much in the way of rushing the passer, but he'll be surrounded by quality players in that front seven and might draw some single blocking. Looking forward to seeing what he can do in training camp.

Calvin Reynolds: Any news on DB Gholston?
    Ray Fittipaldo: You mean Golson, and I understand he'll participate in OTAs next week.

FRANK CA: I HAD READ AN INTERESTING ARTICLE THE OTHER DAY THAT HAD MENTIONED A POSSIBLE TRADE INVOLVING THE STEELERS AND PANTHERS THAT WOULD SEND SAMMIE COATES TO THE PANTHERS WHO REALLY LACK SOME WR'S AND THE STEELERS WOULD IN RETURN GET A LB OR DB IN RETURN? DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THIS?
    Ray Fittipaldo: I did not hear about this. Trades are rare this time of the year.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/stee ... 1705150096

LA RAMS FANS FORUM FACEBOOK PAGE

https://www.facebook.com/LARamsFansForum