What we learned: Bears rookie Adam Shaheen addresses social media backlash: 'I was a dumb teenager'
    Uplandram2
    Site Admin
    Role: Resident Cocksman

What we learned: Bears rookie Adam Shaheen addresses social media backlash: 'I was a dumb teenager'

by Uplandram2 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:49 am

The Bears continued their rookie minicamp Saturday in Lake Forest with defensive coordinator Vic Fangio following the morning practice by addressing the media for the first time since December. Here's what we learned from all the happenings at Halas Hall.

Rookie tight end Adam Shaheen addressed the recent backlash over some of his old social media posts.

On draft weekend, a handful of old Tweets were dug up, with critics calling the tight end's character into question. One post, from August 2012, stated: "I hate Barack Obama with an unhealthy passion."

"I was a dumb teenager," Shaheen said Saturday. "My opinion, I thought Twitter would make a difference."

Another Shaheen Tweet from January 2013 tagged four friends and read: "Team Romney Ryan @CJN6323 @Mitch_Rad29 @joelkocak @Zac_Is_The_Name #whitegreatness."

That seemingly racially charged hashtag, naturally, created an uproar and left many to wonder about Shaheen's overall beliefs. But Shaheen said Saturday that particular Tweet stemmed from "a pickup basketball game between me and my buddies."

"Just making fun of ourselves more than anything else," he added. "If I had the maturity I do now, I would have recognized that there could be some potential problems and would have understood that element of things."

Shaheen said NFL teams didn't ask about those posts during the pre-draft process and expressed some remorse over those social media missteps Saturday.

"I was a high schooler," he said.

LA RAMS FANS FORUM FACEBOOK PAGE

https://www.facebook.com/LARamsFansForum