Dak turns down $30 mil per year, wants $40

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum On The Los Angeles Rams
Post Reply
harley01
Starter
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:12 pm

Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:49 pm

Geez, hope this guy doesn't reset the market. Wentz just signed for just over $25 per year. $30 is too much....maybe 26 at most...and even then I wouldn't pay it. He's too inconsistent.



User avatar
zackn
Veteran
Posts: 772
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:40 pm

Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:53 pm

Dak turns down $30 mil per year, wants $40
==

Image



User avatar
69RamFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7339
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:19 pm
Location: LA-CA By way of NY/NJ

Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:31 pm

well I don't see him getting 40mil/yr.....

The Cowboys will do a FT before paying him that kind of money...

The can actually Tag him twice, the first at 25mil in 2020 and 30mil the second year in 2021.

Right now for 2019, the FT for QBs is set at 24.8... so most likely it will be 25mil+ for 2020....

I would laugh my ass off, if Dallas was to draft with their first pick next year for another QB...



Rammer
Veteran
Posts: 2121
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:17 pm

Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:16 am

Some people are unsure of where to rank Goff but no matter where he is, Dak is well behind him. 30 mill? if I was Dak, I would take the money and run.



User avatar
UK Rams Fan
Starter
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:51 am
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom

Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:24 am

I haven't seen anything out of Prescott in the last 2 years that warrants him being paid $10m a year, let alone $30 or $40m.
That's just absurd Dak... Deffo got his eye on that team cap space for 2020. Sounds like he'd like a rather large chunk of that.



rammingspeed
Starter
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:04 pm

Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:57 am

There's a good article on SI about this: https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/13/dak-p ... k-contract

Statistically Dak is in the same conversation as other quarterbacks (Luck, Stafford, Carr) who have "reset" the markets with their new contracts. You are right that the Cowboys can just tag him for a couple years, and they probably will...but ultimately Dak is not asking for "too much", he's asking to be treated just like other quarterbacks with his same production (or less).

I'm not defending how much money these players make, it's a ridiculous amount, but he's not out in outer space with his numbers. He's right in the same conversation with other guys who got paid.



User avatar
Reddog99
Bench Warmer
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:30 am

Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:16 am

Not a cowboys fan so I don't really care what they do but I'd let him go in FA and draft a QB next year or grab a back up from somewhere around the league. It's getting tight for the boys with Cooper Dak and Zeke all due around the same time. I think they keep Cooper. Dak too if they can agree on a price but if they cant I see them letting him walk and paying Zeke. Of the three i believe Dak is the most expendable.



Claremontram
Veteran
Posts: 1669
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:57 am

Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:42 am

I think he should hold out for $50 million.



STL Woody
Starter
Posts: 320
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:22 am

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:24 pm

The Cowboys may be in trouble. Unfortunately you have to pay 💰 a quarterback. They are hard to come by. Dak is not elite but he is good. There’s no getting around paying him. He won’t get 40 mil. But he can get 33-36



Clovis
Veteran
Posts: 2441
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:59 am

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:26 pm

Maybe Dak needs a drug test?



sdram
Pro-bowler
Posts: 2864
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:42 am

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:55 pm

Clovis wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:26 pm
Maybe Dak needs a drug test?
He should be ecstatic to get Derek “Carter” money. Dak’s an albatross around the Cowboys’ neck who will just suck money from the trough without enough productivity to get them to the super bowl. Yes I feel bad for the ‘Boys too. 😆



ramsrule21
Rookie
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:04 pm

Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:01 pm

harley01 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:49 pm
Geez, hope this guy doesn't reset the market. Wentz just signed for just over $25 per year. $30 is too much....maybe 26 at most...and even then I wouldn't pay it. He's too inconsistent.
Wentz is around 32 million per. I think his guranteed money is 107.9 million over the five years. Dak Isn't worth more than Wentz.



ramsrule21
Rookie
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:04 pm

Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:08 pm

69RamFan wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:31 pm
well I don't see him getting 40mil/yr.....

The Cowboys will do a FT before paying him that kind of money...

The can actually Tag him twice, the first at 25mil in 2020 and 30mil the second year in 2021.

Right now for 2019, the FT for QBs is set at 24.8... so most likely it will be 25mil+ for 2020....

I would laugh my ass off, if Dallas was to draft with their first pick next year for another QB...

Agreed, 2 million this year, franchise him 2020/2021 total is around 60 million for three years. Or sign him to 34/35 million with over 107 millioon guranteed for 5 . Save yourself 14 /15 million per year for the next 3 and draft a new QB or if he works out sign him to an new deal in 2022.



unclesams
Veteran
Posts: 584
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:34 am

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:34 am

UK Rams Fan wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:24 am
I haven't seen anything out of Prescott in the last 2 years that warrants him being paid $10m a year, let alone $30 or $40m.
That's just absurd Dak... Deffo got his eye on that team cap space for 2020. Sounds like he'd like a rather large chunk of that.
Excellent post!!



unclesams
Veteran
Posts: 584
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:34 am

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:36 am

Clovis wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:26 pm
Maybe Dak needs a drug test?
I was thinking the same thing...He was a 3rd round pick for a reason. $10mil is even too much for Dak let alone $40 mil. I would trade him before I forked over $30 mill a year



User avatar
RamPower
Veteran
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:52 pm

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:50 am

I personally think Dak is a legit starter in the NFL. Franchise guy? I'd say yes (build a franchise around). Worth more than any other QB? Hell no, certainly not at this point. One of these teams is finally going to say a hard no to these increasing salaries, but as long as some other team will gladly step in and pay a requested amount... it's a hard situation for a team to be in.



User avatar
RamPower
Veteran
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:52 pm

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:53 am

unclesams wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:36 am
Clovis wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:26 pm
Maybe Dak needs a drug test?
I was thinking the same thing...He was a 3rd round pick for a reason. $10mil is even too much for Dak let alone $40 mil. I would trade him before I forked over $30 mill a year
Wilson was a 3rd round pick for a reason too. I'm not saying Dak is R. Wilson (he's not), but franchise QB's can be elusive.



Ants
Pro-bowler
Posts: 3411
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:57 am

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:48 am

ramsrule21 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:01 pm
harley01 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:49 pm
Geez, hope this guy doesn't reset the market. Wentz just signed for just over $25 per year. $30 is too much....maybe 26 at most...and even then I wouldn't pay it. He's too inconsistent.
Wentz is around 32 million per. I think his guranteed money is 107.9 million over the five years. Dak Isn't worth more than Wentz.
Wentz is certainly more talented.
But Dak is steady, is actually able to play, and has gotten Dallas to the playoffs. He's not spectacular, but he does what he's asked to and has a good head on his shoulders.
I'm not saying he should get $40 million...or 30 for that matter. But if he got 30, it doesn't seem too out of line.


The LA Rams - Making the NFL Great Again! 8-)

User avatar
zackn
Veteran
Posts: 772
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:40 pm

Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:05 am

This is an unusual one. What has happened so far with 2nd contracts for qbs is that they follow a general upward trend year to year. The amount is more or less set...there is some variation from player to player in a given year, but not much. Also, so far 2nd contracts are relative only to each other--advanced veteran contracts don't factor in. No one says, Rodgers and Wilson get this amount, and this 2nd contract should compare with that. They also tend not to be ranked by the player. No one goes, x is better than y so he should get a lot more. It's just a steady annual increase.

Even Wentz's deal fits that. 32 M is high end for 2019, but then his 2nd contract looks like it starts in 2021, not 2019. Until then he is still on his rookie contract.

Dak is the first to turn down the normal expected amount for a qb's 2nd contract and demand he get paid an amount to exceeds all qbs, whether they're on a 2nd contract or a more advanced veteran contract (eg. Wilson).

I have no idea what it means. He's the first to so that. If he starts a new trend, signing qbs for a 2nd contract will get very unpredictable.



User avatar
RamPower
Veteran
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:52 pm

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:23 am

zackn wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:05 am
This is an unusual one. What has happened so far with 2nd contracts for qbs is that they follow a general upward trend year to year. The amount is more or less set...there is some variation from player to player in a given year, but not much. Also, so far 2nd contracts are relative only to each other--advanced veteran contracts don't factor in. No one says, Rodgers and Wilson get this amount, and this 2nd contract should compare with that. They also tend not to be ranked by the player. No one goes, x is better than y so he should get a lot more. It's just a steady annual increase.

Even Wentz's deal fits that. 32 M is high end for 2019, but then his 2nd contract looks like it starts in 2021, not 2019. Until then he is still on his rookie contract.

Dak is the first to turn down the normal expected amount for a qb's 2nd contract and demand he get paid an amount to exceeds all qbs, whether they're on a 2nd contract or a more advanced veteran contract (eg. Wilson).

I have no idea what it means. He's the first to so that. If he starts a new trend, signing qbs for a 2nd contract will get very unpredictable.
All true...



Post Reply
Rate this topic