20% Discount For Rams Fans

Wildflecken's Random Thoughts On Rams Week One Victory

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
Post Reply
User avatar
Wildflecken
Veteran
Posts: 2129
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:07 am

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:28 pm

1.) Uncharacteristic special teams gaffes made contest too close for comfort. Rams have benefitted from stellar teams play last two seasons. I expect Bones to get his squads up to par quickly.

2.) Make no mistake, McVay has set his sights on winning a title. Love his approach with the running attack and firmly believe come December Rams will have one of the most feared running attacks in entire league.

Todd Gurley remains the best running back in entire league but incorporating Malcolm Brown and Henderson into the running attack weekly presents opposing defenses with an enormous challenge before Jared Goff unleashes one ball through the air. I have been posting and patiently awaiting the Rams to unleash the beast that is Malcolm Brown for the last two seasons. This season Brown becomes a household name nationally. Come December fans of this organization are going to have a lot of fun watching this running attack operating on all cylinders.

3.) The offensive line passed its first test of the season. The real test lies ahead however when teams have film. My take, this line will be the best run blocking offensive line Rams have had during the Sean McVay era.

4.) How can one not be excited about the potential of this defense? They have the talent to exploit teams doubling Donald weekly and can create pressure from any spot of the field.

Thought Fowler would benefit greatly by attending Wade's camp. He is athletically nearly as impressive as Donald, now if he improves his consistency since entering league, Rams have another pro bowler this season.

Wade has a lot of options this season to dial up the pressure weekly and what is shaping up to be a lockdown back end certainly will assist the effort weekly

5.) Was anyone else impressed with Higbee's performance?

6.) Cooper Kupp, enough said.

Tough test ahead next week with the Saints coming to town wanting revenge. Going to be a war and Sunday cannot come early enough

GO RAMS!

Almost forgot to give a shout out to Cory Littleton. What a performance. The epitome of Rams football!!



malibu
Veteran
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:19 pm

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:17 pm

Again lot to love about the team. STs were mainly GZ's fault kick out of bounds, missed 40 yd fg both unexceptionable. The blocking on the blocked punt was the ols fault.



User avatar
69RamFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6875
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:19 pm
Location: LA-CA By way of NY/NJ

Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:17 am

My take after reviewing the tape....

Lets start with ST,,, they really screwed up on Sunday,,,, getting two block punts on Hekker, in which it gave them 7pts

GZ a KO out of bounds, 40 yd line and Panthers score a TD and a chip shot missed FG.... gave up 10pts

Natson not letting the ball go into the EZ inside the 10yd line...

They gave up a 17 point swing.....

The O-line: They played OK....
But they still needs work,,,

They gave up 6 QB hits on pass protection... of those six hits, the D made three of Goff's throws go off target...

The Run blocking was pretty good...…

But lets not forget, they were going up against a very Good D-line.

It wasn't Goff's best game,,, but with the three QB hits that made his pass go off target,,, and with three WRs drops... That didn't help Goff's stats... or keep drives alive...

Goff seemed to be just keying are certain targets, and not going throw his progressions, that's not like him,,,, so he missed more open targets,,,,,,,,

He missed at least five targets,,, definitely three targets the other two, were probable not a good throw for him...

Higbee looked good in blocking and Goff hit him on short outlets... and for that TD... The only mistake I saw Higbee do,,,, on a play where he pulled to his left side to make a block, he went to low and the defender fell into Goff's leg,,, luckily he didn't get hurt...

Earth and Wind,,,,, Brown bruising up the D up,,, and Gurley finished them off and blowing them away.... We really have a nice one two punch...
Just waiting for the third punch "Fire",,,, Hollywood Henderson to get into the mix and burn the Defense...

Our four headed Monsters WRs corp,,,, Cooks Woods and Kupp,,,
Reynold was a disappointment in week one... hopefully he makes up for that poor play...

Now our Defense,,, Fowler lining up next to AD,,,, its gonna be hard,,,,, AD will get doubled and Fowler will be free to run wild..,
Littleton covering the middle.. and our DBs kept the WRs/TE in check...

And one bonehead moved by McVay calling those timeouts at the end of the first half,,, 3pts,,,

Overall,,,, we didn't play our best game,,,, but still scored 30pts,,, and gave them a 20 point Cushion and still won....



User avatar
UK Rams Fan
Starter
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:51 am
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:54 am

What isn't to like about a 'W' against a tough divisional opponent when the team hasn't even got out of 1st gear.

Great post @Wildflecken



User avatar
bigklein
Veteran
Posts: 984
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:06 am

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:09 am

I like the Earth, Wind, and Fire branding, 69:
“Earth and Wind,,,,, Brown bruising up the D up,,, and Gurley finished them off and blowing them away.... We really have a nice one two punch...
Just waiting for the third punch "Fire",,,, Hollywood Henderson to get into the mix and burn the Defense...”




User avatar
Jack85Youngblood
Veteran
Posts: 1341
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:27 pm
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:10 am

Wildflecken wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:28 pm
1.) Uncharacteristic special teams gaffes made contest too close for comfort. Rams have benefitted from stellar teams play last two seasons. I expect Bones to get his squads up to par quickly.

2.) Make no mistake, McVay has set his sights on winning a title. Love his approach with the running attack and firmly believe come December Rams will have one of the most feared running attacks in entire league.

Todd Gurley remains the best running back in entire league but incorporating Malcolm Brown and Henderson into the running attack weekly presents opposing defenses with an enormous challenge before Jared Goff unleashes one ball through the air. I have been posting and patiently awaiting the Rams to unleash the beast that is Malcolm Brown for the last two seasons. This season Brown becomes a household name nationally. Come December fans of this organization are going to have a lot of fun watching this running attack operating on all cylinders.

3.) The offensive line passed its first test of the season. The real test lies ahead however when teams have film. My take, this line will be the best run blocking offensive line Rams have had during the Sean McVay era.

4.) How can one not be excited about the potential of this defense? They have the talent to exploit teams doubling Donald weekly and can create pressure from any spot of the field.

Thought Fowler would benefit greatly by attending Wade's camp. He is athletically nearly as impressive as Donald, now if he improves his consistency since entering league, Rams have another pro bowler this season.

Wade has a lot of options this season to dial up the pressure weekly and what is shaping up to be a lockdown back end certainly will assist the effort weekly

5.) Was anyone else impressed with Higbee's performance?

6.) Cooper Kupp, enough said.

Tough test ahead next week with the Saints coming to town wanting revenge. Going to be a war and Sunday cannot come early enough

GO RAMS!

Almost forgot to give a shout out to Cory Littleton. What a performance. The epitome of Rams football!!
Great analysis Fleck. My comments:
1) STs were not good. Could have cost us the game. Hopefully there will be improvement.
2) One of my big questions answered to the positive. Gurley looked great after a slow start. He showed no ill effects of the knee. Brown inside the red zone is a beast. Run game is key to the success of play action passing. Great start.
3) My second big question answered. The Oline looked great. They still need to shore up the pass blocking; but overall a good start for the new unit. Fingers crossed they stay healthy
4) D looked good in the first half. Got gassed in the second from chasing wonderkind McCaffrey all day. Fowler playing like he wants a big contract from somebody next year. Littleton looked great.
5) Higbee was just OK to me. Did not really focus on him. Our Offense still does not emphasize the tight end.
6) Kupp probably the reason the TEs don't get emphasized. Glad he's back.

I am confident that the Rams will beat the Saints. Rams owned them in LA in 2017. They will be outside the dome without their home crowd. Rams did a good job containing Thomas in the NFC Championship. Now they need an answer for Kamara. Oh, and Gurley is healthy and Kupp is back! Difference makers.


Image

Claremontram
Veteran
Posts: 1560
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:57 am

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:48 am

Agree, Littleton was awesome. Hope to see some passes to Gurley in the flat and get him going early.



User avatar
RAMFAN71
Starter
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:14 am

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:54 am

If Goff can show he's for real (which he is) and read the defense and hit the open guys, there's no reason we can't destroy this Saints team. I think running will be tough for us despite how great our backfield is. Love the Earth, Wind & Fire! :mrgreen: There will be such high emotion on their side, so our guys need to be patient and just go about their biz. Death by 1000 cuts.

And my prediction? Peters gets a personal foul at a very inopportune time because he is just that guy. Go Rams!


"60% OF THE TIME........IT WORKS EVERY TIME"

User avatar
69RamFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6875
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:19 pm
Location: LA-CA By way of NY/NJ

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:24 am

Jack85Youngblood wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:10 am
Now they need an answer for Kamara.


The last time we played,,,

I believe in the 4th qtr, we started to hit him at the LOS before he could get into his route and throw the timing off...

We need to do that the majority of the game....



User avatar
RamPower
Veteran
Posts: 1665
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:52 pm

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:14 am

69RamFan wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:17 am
My take after reviewing the tape....

GZ a KO out of bounds, 40 yd line and Panthers score a TD and a chip shot missed FG.... gave up 10pts
Whoa, you're tough! Conceding GZ giving up 7 points via CAR starting up the field some instead of, well, into the end zone almost. But yeah let's say his usual kick thru the endzone, so compared at the 25. Hmmm, I think there was a little more football played between that and ensuing scoring. Nobody liked the kick out of bounds obviously, but 7 points all on him? Naw. No more than any one play over 10/15 yards was the complete reason for giving up the score.

Plus, sure the missed FG hurt. What about the made 56 yard, that's no gimme. He did score 12 points = I have a hard time saying he gave up 10 points as an exact conclusion.



User avatar
69RamFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6875
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:19 pm
Location: LA-CA By way of NY/NJ

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:28 am

RamPower wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:14 am
69RamFan wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:17 am
My take after reviewing the tape....

GZ a KO out of bounds, 40 yd line and Panthers score a TD and a chip shot missed FG.... gave up 10pts
Whoa, you're tough! Conceding GZ giving up 7 points via CAR starting up the field some instead of, well, inside the one almost. But yeah let's say his usual kick thru the endzone, so compared at the 25. Hmmm, I think there was a little more football played between that and ensuing scoring. Nobody liked the kick out of bounds obviously, but 7 points all on him? Naw. No more than any one play over 10/15 yards was the complete reason for giving up the score.

Plus, sure the missed FG hurt. What about the made 56 yard, that's no gimme. He did score 12 points = I have a hard time saying he gave up 10 points as an exact conclusion.
I'm not just putting all the blame on him,,,

I know the Defense is back out on the field and they have to make the stop..

I'm saying by those mistakes on ST, he gave them a better field position for a chance to score on the out of bounds kick, whether its 7pts or 3pt FG.....

It all starts with Field position,,, if we keep them deep on their end of the field, they have less of a chance in scoring....

Its like the Block punt,,, and the Panthers scored off that on the next series,,, do I blame our Defense, hell no,,, that was on ST....

So to me, its the same thing,,, field position...



toast49
Veteran
Posts: 2403
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:26 am

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:43 am

McVay needs to dial up more play action for Goff. I just think it helps with his mechanics.



User avatar
69RamFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6875
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:19 pm
Location: LA-CA By way of NY/NJ

Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:22 am

toast49 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:43 am
McVay needs to dial up more play action for Goff. I just think it helps with his mechanics.
Not only his mechanics,,,

He wasn't reading the field,,,, going through his progressions like you usually does...

He seemed to key on his WRs.... and that's not like him...

He was not in sync on that game....



User avatar
Jack85Youngblood
Veteran
Posts: 1341
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:27 pm
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA

Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:23 am

69RamFan wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:24 am
Jack85Youngblood wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:10 am
Now they need an answer for Kamara.


The last time we played,,,

I believe in the 4th qtr, we started to hit him at the LOS before he could get into his route and throw the timing off...

We need to do that the majority of the game....
You're right 69. I remember that now. This bodes even better for Sunday.


Image

User avatar
RamPower
Veteran
Posts: 1665
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:52 pm

Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:34 am

69RamFan wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:28 am
RamPower wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:14 am
69RamFan wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:17 am
My take after reviewing the tape....

GZ a KO out of bounds, 40 yd line and Panthers score a TD and a chip shot missed FG.... gave up 10pts
Whoa, you're tough! Conceding GZ giving up 7 points via CAR starting up the field some instead of, well, inside the one almost. But yeah let's say his usual kick thru the endzone, so compared at the 25. Hmmm, I think there was a little more football played between that and ensuing scoring. Nobody liked the kick out of bounds obviously, but 7 points all on him? Naw. No more than any one play over 10/15 yards was the complete reason for giving up the score.

Plus, sure the missed FG hurt. What about the made 56 yard, that's no gimme. He did score 12 points = I have a hard time saying he gave up 10 points as an exact conclusion.
I'm not just putting all the blame on him,,,

I know the Defense is back out on the field and they have to make the stop..

I'm saying by those mistakes on ST, he gave them a better field position for a chance to score on the out of bounds kick, whether its 7pts or 3pt FG.....

It all starts with Field position,,, if we keep them deep on their end of the field, they have less of a chance in scoring....

Its like the Block punt,,, and the Panthers scored off that on the next series,,, do I blame our Defense, hell no,,, that was on ST....

So to me, its the same thing,,, field position...
Sure, I agree with all that. Field position is always huge, like Hekker's two monster punts on special teams.

I'm sure both teams have things to clean up, and CAR must have felt they let that game slip away as well. The TO from the backwards pass was huge giving us the field position to score at a time we weren't doing a whole lot on O. And the fumble caused early by Littleton when CAR was marching down the filed was huge too. There's a definite example of 14 point swing as well.



User avatar
69RamFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6875
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:19 pm
Location: LA-CA By way of NY/NJ

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:16 pm

RamPower wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:34 am
69RamFan wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:28 am
RamPower wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:14 am


Whoa, you're tough! Conceding GZ giving up 7 points via CAR starting up the field some instead of, well, inside the one almost. But yeah let's say his usual kick thru the endzone, so compared at the 25. Hmmm, I think there was a little more football played between that and ensuing scoring. Nobody liked the kick out of bounds obviously, but 7 points all on him? Naw. No more than any one play over 10/15 yards was the complete reason for giving up the score.

Plus, sure the missed FG hurt. What about the made 56 yard, that's no gimme. He did score 12 points = I have a hard time saying he gave up 10 points as an exact conclusion.
I'm not just putting all the blame on him,,,

I know the Defense is back out on the field and they have to make the stop..

I'm saying by those mistakes on ST, he gave them a better field position for a chance to score on the out of bounds kick, whether its 7pts or 3pt FG.....

It all starts with Field position,,, if we keep them deep on their end of the field, they have less of a chance in scoring....

Its like the Block punt,,, and the Panthers scored off that on the next series,,, do I blame our Defense, hell no,,, that was on ST....

So to me, its the same thing,,, field position...
Sure, I agree with all that. Field position is always huge, like Hekker's two monster punts on special teams.

I'm sure both teams have things to clean up, and CAR must have felt they let that game slip away as well. The TO from the backwards pass was huge giving us the field position to score at a time we weren't doing a whole lot on O. And the fumble caused early by Littleton when CAR was marching down the filed was huge too. There's a definite example of 14 point swing as well.
I'm not concern on how bad or how good the Panthers played,,

My concern is what we do and what we gave up...

For me, I'm looking for our team to get turnovers and not make them...

I feel if we give up a TO or bad field positions, then we give the other teams points

Its about us,,,, and not them...

I guarantee you,,, that's exactly what the coaching staff are saying and feel...

Its said all the time,,, when a team loses,,, we gave that game away...

When they go back and look at the tape,,, Bones will tell his team, we gave up 17 points...

McVay will say, I blew that call at the end of the first half to give the other team three points...

That's how I look at it....



User avatar
RamPower
Veteran
Posts: 1665
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:52 pm

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:57 pm

69RamFan wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:16 pm
RamPower wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:34 am
69RamFan wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:28 am


I'm not just putting all the blame on him,,,

I know the Defense is back out on the field and they have to make the stop..

I'm saying by those mistakes on ST, he gave them a better field position for a chance to score on the out of bounds kick, whether its 7pts or 3pt FG.....

It all starts with Field position,,, if we keep them deep on their end of the field, they have less of a chance in scoring....

Its like the Block punt,,, and the Panthers scored off that on the next series,,, do I blame our Defense, hell no,,, that was on ST....

So to me, its the same thing,,, field position...
Sure, I agree with all that. Field position is always huge, like Hekker's two monster punts on special teams.

I'm sure both teams have things to clean up, and CAR must have felt they let that game slip away as well. The TO from the backwards pass was huge giving us the field position to score at a time we weren't doing a whole lot on O. And the fumble caused early by Littleton when CAR was marching down the filed was huge too. There's a definite example of 14 point swing as well.
I'm not concern on how bad or how good the Panthers played,,

My concern is what we do and what we gave up...

For me, I'm looking for our team to get turnovers and not make them...

I feel if we give up a TO or bad field positions, then we give the other teams points

Its about us,,,, and not them...

I guarantee you,,, that's exactly what the coaching staff are saying and feel...

Its said all the time,,, when a team loses,,, we gave that game away...

When they go back and look at the tape,,, Bones will tell his team, we gave up 17 points...

McVay will say, I blew that call at the end of the first half to give the other team three points...

That's how I look at it....
I totally care who my opponents are and what they did on the field regarding my evaluations. It's as relevant as anything else, including rust in this case, injuries, whatever. Beating a tough team in a close game as opposed to beating a cupcake close? I factor that in (CAR was pretty tough I thought).

Coach speak? That has no bearing on my observations and evaluations for a game, from either side. It's all proven on the field, and fans get to critique what they see. Both teams had rust. Other games this weekend as well, some definitely more than others based on what I think teams true "potentials" are at this point. Rams have better players and coaching (my opinion) and it should lead to wins. But the coach speak is basically the fucking same for every team (not that McVay isn't a great motivator - he certainly is). Winning solves most everything.



User avatar
69RamFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6875
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:19 pm
Location: LA-CA By way of NY/NJ

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:08 pm

^^^^^^
I didn't pick on your concerns on what you think or your observation,,,

You picked on what I felt...

You might not agree on what I've wrote, but that's how I see it..

I didn't write on how you feel it should be felt.... :lol: :lol: :lol:



Post Reply
Rate this topic