McVay's Approach With Tavon Austin Could Transform His Career
  • Wildflecken
    Bench Warmer

McVay's Approach With Tavon Austin Could Transform His Career

by Wildflecken » 18 May 2017, 02:47

There has probably been no larger critic of Tavon on this forum than myself. But the news regarding McVay's approach with Austin this offseason is brilliant. It may transform his career into the player they envisioned when moving up in the draft to select him. The injury alone is not why they are auditioning new punt returners for the 2017 season. The plan all along was to have Austin focus on the routes he would be running on game day, aka, the Desean Jackson role. The role I have been promoting for him since his inception on the roster. And it finally appears to be happening. While questions remain if this transformation will be a success, if it does fail it will not the due to the approach taken this offseason. For any chance of success Austin's sole concentration this offseason had to be on the routes he would run on game day, and since the injury is upper body, he is running these routes in every authorized session.

Reporting the injury was brilliant as well. It keeps the media at arms length and stops the daily questions on why TA is not working with the special teams or units he worked with in the past due to his multi use as a talent. He is allowed to focus solely on his new role away from the lime light. By keeping his legs fresh and limiting his responsibilities to the deep routes he will run often on game day, we may be hearing Austin's name on Sports Center and Red Zone often. He may yet live up to the lofty contract paid.

No player on the roster will benefit more by Austin's success in this new role than Todd Gurley. If Austin is established as a threat in this role during the first quarter of next season, Gurley will see the second level this season often as defenses will be forced out of the box, something our offensive line did not benefit once from last season. There is a new offensive mind this season Rams fans, and he knows what he is doing. Jump on the bandwagon casual fans, it is going to be a fun ride for the next five seasons and hopefully beyond. Go Rams!
  • TBUX
    Bench Warmer

Re: McVay's Approach With Tavon Austin Could Transform His Career

by TBUX » 18 May 2017, 06:17

Well put and I too have been sayin since he arrived he should go deep much more than he has. Never made sense to me why you wouldn't send a guy who runs 4.3 on 9 routes etc??? baffling really. So many ways to use this guy, and we have really failed IMO to do so properly.
  • crazy-legs
    Bench Warmer

by crazy-legs » 18 May 2017, 07:25

The kid has game he's just never had a chance to display said talent on a consistent basis. If he's used right he'll open up the field for everybody else. He can be that good. Don't get me wrong - he's no Calvin Johnson and never will be but he can be a game changer. They just need to get him in open space. I have full confidence in McVay to find out how to do that...
    Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...
  • MothaFaulker
    Rookie

by MothaFaulker » 18 May 2017, 12:33

I personally don't see Tavon winning many deep go routes. For a speedster he seems to be running 4.6 out there when trying to track the back deep. I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen it too often already.
    Where I do see him winning is that famous DJax option route 15-20 yards deep where he runs a post or an out route depending on coverage. Goff has the arm and Tavon has the speeds and quick cuts to make that work every time provided the Oline affords enough protection. Tavon needs to see the ball in his hands...anything over the shoulder we can just forget about it honestly. But those option deep routes are what's made guys like DJax and especially AB so dominant.
    Reynolds should be more capable on Go routes as he tracks the ball very well (at least in college he did), has very long arms and great body control.
    Either way exciting things are coming on offense.
  • Idaho_Ram
    Rookie

by Idaho_Ram » 18 May 2017, 19:53

I mean it when I say I can live with losing 31-35 on our way to 6-10. I just need to see some freaking offense. Please, just SOMETHING to cheer for on that side of the ball.
  • Commish
    Rookie

by Commish » 18 May 2017, 20:57

Obviously, I'm hoping for the best RE Tavon Austin finally emerging as a consistent receiving threat--IIRC thus far he hasn't demonstrated either the necessary route-running or pass-catching skills.

However, if the McVay/LaFleur 'brain trust' can somehow manage to get significantly greater production from the guy, I certainly won't be complaining about that... :) ;) :idea:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish
    McCOY: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
    KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."
  • Wildflecken
    Bench Warmer

by Wildflecken » 19 May 2017, 02:26

I personally don't see Tavon winning many deep go routes. For a speedster he seems to be running 4.6 out there when trying to track the back deep. I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen it too often already.
    Where I do see him winning is that famous DJax option route 15-20 yards deep where he runs a post or an out route depending on coverage. Goff has the arm and Tavon has the speeds and quick cuts to make that work every time provided the Oline affords enough protection. Tavon needs to see the ball in his hands...anything over the shoulder we can just forget about it honestly. But those option deep routes are what's made guys like DJax and especially AB so dominant.
    Reynolds should be more capable on Go routes as he tracks the ball very well (at least in college he did), has very long arms and great body control.
    Excellent observation about TA's game speed and why the combine is a useful tool to supplement the scouting process and not much value should be placed on the pajama wars. Will be interesting to see Kupp's game speed in slot routes versus TA's (camp should be a blast this offseason, so much to observe) My take, Rams under Fisher put far too much weight on combine and ignored flaws in the prospects game tape making projections on athletic ability alone. Ever see an offensive lineman run a 40 on game day? Combine can confirm what you see on tape or in a case like Toth, make one suspect college was prospects ceiling, not athletic enough for next level. Again a useful tool. I was shocked when Rams moved up for TA and in disbelief when they selected Robinson, especially given Fisher's history with the Mathews family. I suspected Mathews but had Lewan a tad higher. I was ok with either, as long as they selected Martin with second pick in round one that draft. The Donald fell in draft (Best picks during Fisher regime were mere accidents) I regress here, excuse my soapbox.

My point was more a tribute to McVay, He is the real deal, knows offensive football. While TA's route tree is limited in the deep routes (definition of deep route, 20 plus) he does execute some well. We seen this season one I believe when SB was still behind center. McVay's approach with TA is genius, focusing him on what McVay needs him to do first half of 2017 while drafted talent gets up to speed, establish a deep threat defenses have to respect and get them out of box for 60 minutes, ever see a defense be as aggressive as they were against Rams last season? Unsure if McVay himself believes he has the talent to accomplish this early in 2017 with a lot hinging on how quickly the newly added receiving threats get up to speed. But McVay knows all to well it is another season of Gurley running into the backs of his own lineman pushed two yards into our own backfield if he does not establish some type of vertical threat opposing defenses are forced to respect.
  • MothaFaulker
    Rookie

by MothaFaulker » 19 May 2017, 07:24

Excellent observation about TA's game speed and why the combine is a useful tool to supplement the scouting process and not much value should be placed on the pajama wars. Will be interesting to see Kupp's game speed in slot routes versus TA's (camp should be a blast this offseason, so much to observe) My take, Rams under Fisher put far too much weight on combine and ignored flaws in the prospects game tape making projections on athletic ability alone. Ever see an offensive lineman run a 40 on game day? Combine can confirm what you see on tape or in a case like Toth, make one suspect college was prospects ceiling, not athletic enough for next level. Again a useful tool. I was shocked when Rams moved up for TA and in disbelief when they selected Robinson, especially given Fisher's history with the Mathews family. I suspected Mathews but had Lewan a tad higher. I was ok with either, as long as they selected Martin with second pick in round one that draft. The Donald fell in draft (Best picks during Fisher regime were mere accidents) I regress here, excuse my soapbox.

My point was more a tribute to McVay, He is the real deal, knows offensive football. While TA's route tree is limited in the deep routes (definition of deep route, 20 plus) he does execute some well. We seen this season one I believe when SB was still behind center. McVay's approach with TA is genius, focusing him on what McVay needs him to do first half of 2017 while drafted talent gets up to speed, establish a deep threat defenses have to respect and get them out of box for 60 minutes, ever see a defense be as aggressive as they were against Rams last season? Unsure if McVay himself believes he has the talent to accomplish this early in 2017 with a lot hinging on how quickly the newly added receiving threats get up to speed. But McVay knows all to well it is another season of Gurley running into the backs of his own lineman pushed two yards into our own backfield if he does not establish some type of vertical threat opposing defenses are forced to respect.
    I agree with what you're saying. I too am excited to see a well coached team, one that can be flexible and able to adjust at halftime.
    Tavon has great physical ability to dominate in that DJax option route...he really should. If he struggles early it'll be all mental, and at that point the hope is that Reynolds gets up to speed quickly. Even in the case Tavon fails as a deep threat, I can see a 3rd down lineup of Woods-Kupp-Reynolds-Everett and Tavon in the backfield, giving huge flexibility to flex TA out or let him isolate on LBs from the RB spot. Either way it should be exciting and we'll see the team move the ball much better with Kupp and Woods.
    Btw, have you seen Gurley lately? Seems like he's put in some work this offseason to gain that muscle back, seems in much better shape.
  • Wildflecken
    Bench Warmer

by Wildflecken » 20 May 2017, 02:21

I agree with what you're saying. I too am excited to see a well coached team, one that can be flexible and able to adjust at halftime.
    Tavon has great physical ability to dominate in that DJax option route...he really should. If he struggles early it'll be all mental, and at that point the hope is that Reynolds gets up to speed quickly. Even in the case Tavon fails as a deep threat, I can see a 3rd down lineup of Woods-Kupp-Reynolds-Everett and Tavon in the backfield, giving huge flexibility to flex TA out or let him isolate on LBs from the RB spot. Either way it should be exciting and we'll see the team move the ball much better with Kupp and Woods.
    Btw, have you seen Gurley lately? Seems like he's put in some work this offseason to gain that muscle back, seems in much better shape.
    Utilizing TA underneath seems logical since his most success has come when he receives ball at or behind LOS, or close to in positive territory, in a Sproles type role. However have seen TA fail against LB's far too often, although this did occur from slot. Where I question TA getting this role is Gurley or Dunbar being a more effective option and depending on how quickly he develops Rogers
  • TBUX
    Bench Warmer

by TBUX » 20 May 2017, 19:21

I don't get all the venom for Tavon- we have used him so poorly- teams have stacked boxes- taking away the short to intermediate routes- and he has had a bullseye on him from day one. He is so much better than we have seen, and he has shown us all flashes of what he is capable of. What he did in 2015 with that Qb, that oline, that OC- is incredible IMO. I am so curious to see what he does this year. I think we are going to be very impressed. Lets see.
  • sanbagger
    Rookie

by sanbagger » 22 May 2017, 08:48

If McV can get TA to establish the deep route, where the opposition is forced to account for it, this will in turn open up the short underneath stuff that TA is obviously more comfortable with.

I feel as though the former regime failed to establish TA as a deep (20 yds and up) threat so all the defenders just squatted on him.

I think McV and Co. plan on using TA in multiple ways but the only way to break him free is to establish downfield IMO.