Floyd Gone, Do we try for Gordon, or do we have enough

General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Uplandram2

29TheBest
Starter

Wed May 10, 2017 1:38 pm

Floyd signs with Vikings......Do we still pursue Gordon? or do we have enough WR's? Not sure there is a clear cut #1 which I believe Gordon is....

Your thoughts

Dick84
Pro-bowler

Wed May 10, 2017 2:02 pm

They weren't going to get Floyd, I think it's clear. He doesn't fit in with the character revamp McVay seems to be going for.
Gordon? Not sure he's worth the headache.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

NN1Badboy
Veteran

Wed May 10, 2017 5:01 pm

Personally, I like the fact that McVay is looking at character as opposed to talent alone. In the long run that’s how you build a solid team. Sure, at first we may pass on some guys who may be a little more talented, but in the end it’s all going to work out.

choop145
Bench Warmer

Wed May 10, 2017 6:27 pm

I'm having "4 Pillars" flashbacks.

Dick84
Pro-bowler

Wed May 10, 2017 6:51 pm

choop145 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 6:27 pm
I'm having "4 Pillars" flashbacks.
I'm not.
I'm seeing "football character."
Guys who love the game and do the work.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

Pj50
Starter

Wed May 10, 2017 7:21 pm

I don't see the Rams wanting Gordon

Jmho

Ramborumble
Veteran

Wed May 10, 2017 8:10 pm

TRADE FOR SAMMY WATKINS. Supposedly Buffalo has him on trade block.

Commish
Veteran

Thu May 11, 2017 10:56 am

NN1Badboy wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 5:01 pm
Personally, I like the fact that McVay is looking at character as opposed to talent alone. In the long run that’s how you build a solid team. Sure, at first we may pass on some guys who may be a little more talented, but in the end it’s all going to work out.
Well, since our team isn't likely to make the playoffs this year anyway, I'd much prefer that the Rams find out how effectively their young receivers from the most recent two drafts can perform with solid offensive coaching and scheming.

Along with Robert Woods, there hopefully should be enough of those young receivers who can play well to build around in creating a capable long-term receiving corps... :) ;) :idea:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish

McCOY: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

crazy-legs
Veteran

Thu May 11, 2017 1:04 pm

I'd give Gordon a shot. He'd come cheap. Kind of like when Britt came to the Rams. Sign him for 2 years and at a discount rate...

As far as him being a headache if he gets out of line, regardless of how well he's doing, McVay can make an example of him. He looks good to others for giving him a chance but on the other hands shows he's not going to take any BS. Win win if you ask me...

Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...

TBUX
Veteran

Thu May 11, 2017 1:08 pm

He was just denied his appeal- I doubt anyone touches him right now.

NN1Badboy
Veteran

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:08 am

Floyd is now serving a suspension. Glad we passed on him. Gordon will be a failure if he returns too. His best years have been wasted thanks to marijuana. Hope he enjoys the “high” life.

Commish
Veteran

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:16 pm

NN1Badboy wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:08 am
Floyd is now serving a suspension. Glad we passed on him. Gordon will be a failure if he returns too. His best years have been wasted thanks to marijuana. Hope he enjoys the “high” life.
Agreed--AFAIC the odds are that they would both be more trouble than they're worth, especially since I'm figuring that our team will notch at best a .500 [8-8] record this year... :) 8-) :idea:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish

McCOY: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

rong
Starter

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Ramborumble wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 8:10 pm
TRADE FOR SAMMY WATKINS. Supposedly Buffalo has him on trade block.
That's not a bad idea at all.

Raminec
Starter

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:57 pm

I'd take Kupp over 10 Floyds or Gordon's. It's not the four pillars thing it's just that those types of players ( selfish, undisciplined) no matter how talented end up destroying your team chemistry. They are not worth the trouble. McVay is trying to build a TEAM! He is trying to find players that fit his system and also are willing to put in the time and effort it takes to create the right environment for success. Floyd and Gordon both have shown that they don't fit that mold.

Idaho_Ram
Starter

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Raminec wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:57 pm
I'd take Kupp over 10 Floyds or Gordon's. It's not the four pillars thing it's just that those types of players ( selfish, undisciplined) no matter how talented end up destroying your team chemistry. They are not worth the trouble. McVay is trying to build a TEAM! He is trying to find players that fit his system and also are willing to put in the time and effort it takes to create the right environment for success. Floyd and Gordon both have shown that they don't fit that mold.
Totally agree with the sentiment, but we still have to have players physically capable of scaring an NFL defense. Hopefully with a new beginning and crop of young hopefuls, we'll have a few emerge.

I do thing that guys like Britt and Hayes were definitely "FIsher guys" and I think that's a big reason they are gone. They work hard...sorta, but on the condition that they get act like idiots and have no consequences. I'm kinda sick of that garbage. Looking forward to a bump in team maturity and professionalism.

poplarbluffman
Veteran

Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:13 am

Rams would be stupid not to sign Gordon...worst team in football over last 10 years with the worst wr's in the NF and people are even asking IF? Major disconnect from reality..I'd sign any and all character issue wr types in a heartbeat...no law that says you can't cut them if they don't work out

Idaho_Ram
Starter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:43 am

poplarbluffman wrote:
Rams would be stupid not to sign Gordon...worst team in football over last 10 years with the worst wr's in the NF and people are even asking IF? Major disconnect from reality..I'd sign any and all character issue wr types in a heartbeat...no law that says you can't cut them if they don't work out
If you ran your own business would you sign "any and all character issues in a heartbeat" knowing you could simply fire them? I don't think it's that simple. Guys with character problems tend to leave you in worse shape than before they arrived. I.e. once you fire them, you're just further down the road with no solution and some burned co-workers.

Raminec
Starter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:17 am

poplarbluffman wrote:
Gordon has tried and failed to stay clean numerous times. There are so many very talented athletes that fit that description and never are able to escape their addiction. I am positive that Gordon would be the best Ram receiver in years and really give them a player to stretch the field. I am also 100 percent sure ( based on his very well documented past failures) that he would not be able to last the season clean. Nobody no matter how talented is worth the risk he brings. Rams are in McVays hands now and he is not going to blow his opportunity gambling on a proven talent who is a proven loser.

EastBayRamsFan
Starter

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:32 am

....he would be the best pick-up for sure! We need a Gordon level player to give Goff a chance.

sanbagger
Veteran

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:42 am

Gordon is going to be a stud...I watched several games where he was a complete mismatch for the DB...problem with him is none of the players on his team like him...he's reported to be a cancer in the clubhouse and that's the types of players McV has definitely shied away from.

Gordon never really had a shot to be a Ram and I think it's because of his inability to get along with teammates.

Ants
Veteran

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:50 am

Idaho_Ram wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:43 am
poplarbluffman wrote:
If you ran your own business would you sign "any and all character issues in a heartbeat" knowing you could simply fire them? I don't think it's that simple. Guys with character problems tend to leave you in worse shape than before they arrived. I.e. once you fire them, you're just further down the road with no solution and some burned co-workers.
Funny you mention owning a business. I would also add that this is the typical short-sighted business model that usually hurts down the road. It might work ok in the short term, but if you want to turn 10 bad years in a row into 15, then yeah. Go ahead and sign him. :?

:idea: Let's win some games.