Trading Tavon
  • pmill66
    Rookie

Trading Tavon

by pmill66 » 17 Jun 2017, 09:35

Looked at the salary cap for the Rams today for the first time in a while. Tavon Austin once again jumps out with almost 15 million cap hit for this season. Looked at his salary for this season and next and that number is 3.5 mil for this season, 3.0 for next. The rams could trade Tavon, reduce the cap hit for this season by 3 million, and would incur a 5 million cap hit for 2018. The cap hit for 2018 would be the same if he is released in 2018. The salaries for Tavon would be the cap hit for his new team, and those are not bad numbers. Would a draft pick or 2, 3 million in cap savings for this season, 3 million in cap savings next season be worth it? Maybe the rams could get a 4th and a 6th, similar to what they traded for Mark Barron a couple of years ago. Unlikely to happen, but with a new coaching staff you never know.
  • Wildflecken
    Bench Warmer

Re: Trading Tavon

by Wildflecken » 17 Jun 2017, 09:38

Looked at the salary cap for the Rams today for the first time in a while. Tavon Austin once again jumps out with almost 15 million cap hit for this season. Looked at his salary for this season and next and that number is 3.5 mil for this season, 3.0 for next. The rams could trade Tavon, reduce the cap hit for this season by 3 million, and would incur a 5 million cap hit for 2018. The cap hit for 2018 would be the same if he is released in 2018. The salaries for Tavon would be the cap hit for his new team, and those are not bad numbers. Would a draft pick or 2, 3 million in cap savings for this season, 3 million in cap savings next season be worth it? Maybe the rams could get a 4th and a 6th, similar to what they traded for Mark Barron a couple of years ago. Unlikely to happen, but with a new coaching staff you never know.
    You are on to something here. Rams would love to rid themselves of TA's new deal. The problem in moving him, TA's new deal. The question being how much is Kroenke willing to eat on this one
  • pmill66
    Rookie

by pmill66 » 17 Jun 2017, 09:48

You are on to something here. Rams would love to rid themselves of TA's new deal. The problem in moving him, TA's new deal. The question being how much is Kroenke willing to eat on this one
    Not a cap guru, but dont think its would be anything. Rams would save the salary. The cap accounts for money already paid. Could be wrong, perhaps others that know more about it that I can inform us. Just thought it was odd Tavon was not participating in the OTA's with a new coaching staff.
  • TBUX
    Bench Warmer

by TBUX » 17 Jun 2017, 10:33

He is hurt, or haven't you heard.
  • pmill66
    Rookie

by pmill66 » 17 Jun 2017, 11:11

He is hurt, or haven't you heard.
    Yes ive heard, had wrist surgery, did not fully participate in the minicamps. Expected to be a full participant in training camp.
    Dick84
    Bench Warmer

by Dick84 » 17 Jun 2017, 11:50

I don't see a Tavon trade happening this year, due to cap issues.
    I could very easily see it next offseason.. or even an outright release if he doesn't have a substantial season.
    Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
    3-24-16
  • Dispatched
    Rookie

by Dispatched » 17 Jun 2017, 20:58

Personally I like having Tavon on my team. Maybe somebody can look it up or figure it out, but is there another player who statistically speaking had more touchdowns called back than him? I swear when something goes right with him it seems like nearly 50% of the time the play is called back. I have even grown to expect it.
  • Wildflecken
    Bench Warmer

by Wildflecken » 18 Jun 2017, 02:52

Not a cap guru, but dont think its would be anything. Rams would save the salary. The cap accounts for money already paid. Could be wrong, perhaps others that know more about it that I can inform us. Just thought it was odd Tavon was not participating in the OTA's with a new coaching staff.
    http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2017/06 ... 18-season/

This article sums up TA's contract the best. Think Rams would love to move him this season to create cap space for Donald but cannot. Next season only costs 5 mil in dead money
  • poplarbluffman
    Bench Warmer

by poplarbluffman » 18 Jun 2017, 05:19

problem becomes what happens when T Austin is working with 2nd team..McVay needs to clean out the locker room cancers and Austin would become one..sometimes s the worst move financially is the best move for the team.

new offense and Austin's 7 wonderlic score aren't a match made in heaven. Woods and Kupp have brains and are made for MvVays offense. Already saying Mike Thomas is the deep threat. Kupp likely the slot and Woods the possession guy..

also odd man out will likely be Quinn next year to save money ..one year wonder(contract year) never seen that before
  • Wildflecken
    Bench Warmer

by Wildflecken » 18 Jun 2017, 05:59

problem becomes what happens when T Austin is working with 2nd team..McVay needs to clean out the locker room cancers and Austin would become one..sometimes s the worst move financially is the best move for the team.

new offense and Austin's 7 wonderlic score aren't a match made in heaven. Woods and Kupp have brains and are made for MvVays offense. Already saying Mike Thomas is the deep threat. Kupp likely the slot and Woods the possession guy..

also odd man out will likely be Quinn next year to save money ..one year wonder(contract year) never seen that before
    Well there has certainly not been a larger critic on not only the TA selection but the use of TA under Fisher and for two seasons forcing the offensive design to be tailored for him with absolutely no success. If they can find a taker, they will move him. If not well McVay will not be designing his offense to fit TA, of that I am certain. Will they incorporate a few gadget plays to utilize what he does well when receiving ball behind, at or near LOS, probably.

Reports are new offensive staff has been impressed with the development of Thomas. Same role they have announced for TA, the deep vertical threat. If TA flops at this role, assume Thomas's game day snaps increase. Guess is Thomas will be slated for at least 30% of he snaps in that role coming out of camp when that package is utilized. TA will get first crack and will remain a starter in media guide. How much playing time he gets will depend upon performance, as it always should of been.

Quinn is the talent that got the contract. We have seen it when he is on the field last two seasons. Decrease in production is related to injuries and fact GW open up the spacing moving Quinn further outside to allow Donald more room inside to operate. If Quinn is healthy I expect a return to his old self. But certainly no guarantee he stays healthy for the full 16 game slate
  • pmill66
    Rookie

by pmill66 » 18 Jun 2017, 07:06

Jeremy Maclin signed a 2 year 11 million dollar contract with the Ravens to play the slot. That would be roughly the same amount owed to Tavon, including his 2018 roster bonus, for a team trading for him. Maclin had a few teams interested, perhaps one of those teams would have interest in Austin. Tavon is 3 years younger, but Maclin is a much, much better football player. Seems the rams be stuck with Tavon for 2018, and hope the new coaching staff can get production from him. Stuck and hope do not inspire much confidence
  • TBUX
    Bench Warmer

by TBUX » 18 Jun 2017, 08:01

How about we see what he can do with an actual offense first? he has been the least of our problems- yet he is the one taking the most venom around here. Never understood it. I for one cant wait to see what he does when an offense is actually moving the ball and he isn't the only receiver teams are locked on. I think he may do quite well.
    NN1Badboy
    Rookie

by NN1Badboy » 18 Jun 2017, 08:50

The Tavon contract was absolutely ridiculous. Whomever is responsible for overpaying this mini me receiver should be fired. Period! If another team is stupid enough to take him off of our hands for his astronomical price, then we should do it and then go find a real #1 WR with the money we save.
  • TBUX
    Bench Warmer

by TBUX » 18 Jun 2017, 11:19

After his 2015 season- easy to see why we wanted to keep him- and that was what it took. Not sure why he is so hated- never have. Great team player- works hard, well liked, and lets see what he can do with better QB and Oline play with a MUCH better O scheme. Betting he plays well. Never understand why he is everyone's whipping boy.
  • toast49
    Rookie

by toast49 » 18 Jun 2017, 11:25

He's going to be one of the vertical threats for the team this year. Expect McVay to use him in trips formations a lot this year with a combination of WR's and TE's
    majik
    Rookie

by majik » 18 Jun 2017, 13:21

The Tavon contract was absolutely ridiculous. Whomever is responsible for overpaying this mini me receiver should be fired. Period! If another team is stupid enough to take him off of our hands for his astronomical price, then we should do it and then go find a real #1 WR with the money we save.
    To actually have to pay that "contract" you would be correct, but this is the NFL and to use the word "contract" to describe the salary agreements that players sign gives people the wrong impression. It's all about upfront guaranteed money because future years are a one way arrangement heavily favoring the team.

From what I understand of the Tavon extension the Rams can pretty easily cut Tavon after this season with little dead money, money that can be used to extend Donald.
  • sanbagger
    Rookie

by sanbagger » 18 Jun 2017, 14:13

To actually have to pay that "contract" you would be correct, but this is the NFL and to use the word "contract" to describe the salary agreements that players sign gives people the wrong impression. It's all about upfront guaranteed money because future years are a one way arrangement heavily favoring the team.

From what I understand of the Tavon extension the Rams can pretty easily cut Tavon after this season with little dead money, money that can be used to extend Donald.
    If 5 mil is what you deem "little" then OK.

He has 5 mil in dead cap space in 2018 with a salary of 8 mil...so they could free up 3 mil in cap space with an outright release....but that's not gonna happen.

2019 is they year he will either be a key cog or he will be hittin the road IMO.
  • Dispatched
    Rookie

by Dispatched » 18 Jun 2017, 19:47

Tavon's critics don't think his game play equates to his pay status on the team. However I see a lot of Tavon TD's called back, and a team that by design didn't throw downfield. Unless there is a clear scenario of it making the Rams better, the necessity to trade Tavon now is a long way down the list.
    29TheBest
    Rookie

by 29TheBest » 21 Jun 2017, 11:44

I do not like the cap hit for him, but he is going to have to play and prove himself to even have a chance for us to trade him. At this point I really want to see what he can do in this new system. If he lives up to his potential, the contract may not be too bad. Cant wait to see the new system in action
    majik
    Rookie

by majik » 21 Jun 2017, 12:08

Tavon along with Goff and the offensive line should be interesting to watch to see how much of the pathetic performance last year was them or the horrific offensive coaching the previous regime had.

I believe with more time and receivers that run proper routes and actually catch balls thrown to them, we will see a marked improvement with Goff.

Regarding Tavon, it's been like watching some old guy afraid to go above 45 (previous staff) driving a sports car (Tavon). I am thinking McVay will put him to good use. Will he be worth the contract? Not sure.
    Safety Blitz
    Rookie

by Safety Blitz » 22 Jun 2017, 10:17

I detest dinky, tiny, ant-like WRs. Very few shine. I know there are exceptions. He'll fail in the role of deep threat #1 WR. Who the heck paid him like that? That dude should receive our ire, not Tavon.

No doubt he will be released after 2017 unless he makes a ton of big plays as gadget player and PR.

Thomas will shine in 2017...
    "Peace, be still."
    majik
    Rookie

by majik » 22 Jun 2017, 13:35

"Thomas will shine". Will that be the excuse for his multiple drop games this year, the sun was shining too bright?
  • mburns
    Rookie

by mburns » 22 Jun 2017, 15:08

TA another wasted Snead pick. Why does that idiot Snead still have a job? Who would have thought drafting 5'8 smurf with the 8th overall pick in the draft would turn out to be a disaster? Austin has not and will never be a NFL caliber wide receiver and the idea he will develop into a deep threat is laughable. The guy can't get off the line of scrimmage when CB's press him and he can't even out run them when there is no contact.

He sucks as a WR which should come as no surprise to anyone but Snead as the last pro-bowl caliber WR's in the league under 5'10 were the 2 Marks in Miami decades ago and even they were taller at 5'9.
  • TBUX
    Bench Warmer

by TBUX » 22 Jun 2017, 19:03

With some of the dogs we have on this team over the last few years, I will never for the life of me understand the venom for Tavon. So much that is said about his is complete falsehood. He has his limitations, but he also has strengths few possess. so many better targets than him to go after. I simply don't get it.
  • TBUX
    Bench Warmer

by TBUX » 22 Jun 2017, 19:12

One more thing FEW ever mention about the Tavon pick:

SHotty convinced Fisher he could run a spread offense. They wanted Tavon and Bailey so much because of what they did at WV. Obv in hindsight a bad idea- and after 4 games Fisher nixed it. Tavon was the right pick for what they wanted to do- but few ever point that out. In a run first offense, he was a square peg in a round hole.

He is a team favorite, he trains hard, gives his all and lets face it- we have had HORRIBLE Oline and QB play since he arrived- so again, so many others to hate on over him- why people hate him because of his draft position- I will never know - all he can do is give his best- and he has. Nobody can deny that.

I'm betting McVay will enjoy having him- we will see.