My boy at #15 is a joke

General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Uplandram2

ADonaldBeast
Starter

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:55 am

Aaron Donald was profootballfocus number one player of the year. Come-on NFL players you gotta give this guy more respect should be in the top 10 this year.

TBUX
Veteran

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:05 pm

NFL Network agrees with you and me actually- most think he is a top 10 player for sure.

69RamFan
Pro-bowler

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:08 pm

I believe if the RAMs had a better record, he would be in the top 10....

As the saying goes, you don't get recognized with a losing record.

sdram
Veteran

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:44 pm

69RamFan wrote:

That's exactly what I was about to post. :lol:

ADonaldBeast
Starter

Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:13 pm

sdram wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:44 pm
69RamFan wrote:

That's exactly what I was about to post. :lol:
I agree 2 plus the fact rams have been a losing franchise for so long they just don't Get respect from anybody

RamBill
Hall of Famer

Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:23 pm

‘Top 100 Players of 2017’ : No. 15 Aaron Donald –Video

Los Angeles Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald is voted the 15th-best player in the NFL by his peers on “Top 100 Players of 2017.”

Watch Donald on Top Players

RamPower
Veteran

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:57 am

Yeah, tough call when comparing (rating) players from different positions. Probably makes more sense looking at players within their same position, but that's the fun of sports talk.

I mean the QB position is just valued more (for good reason). Right or wrong, the QB is the only position routinely viewed in terms of season or career win/loss records. When was the last time somebody referred to a defensive lineman arguing his season or lifetime win/loss stats? ("he sucks, they were 4-12"!)...

Whatever, gotta keep Donald at all costs IMO = he's earned it (certainly on and likely off the field as well)...and Wade's proved that he knows how to put his players in their best position to utilize their particular skill sets. Donald's skill set? Awesome...

29TheBest
Starter

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:54 am

No Doubt he is a top 10, probably a top 5, but he was overshadowed by the move back and a horrible won/lose record. To many distractions pulled some of the focus that should have been on him to the other issues that were going on. I think we get him signed and in a good place mentally and he shoots up there to the top!!

Commish
Veteran

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:50 pm

29TheBest wrote:
No Doubt he is a top 10, probably a top 5, but he was overshadowed by the move back and a horrible won/lose record. To many distractions pulled some of the focus that should have been on him to the other issues that were going on. I think we get him signed and in a good place mentally and he shoots up there to the top!!
Into the Top Ten on next year's listing anyway, I'm hoping--IMHO it's unlikely to see a D-lineman, especially a three-technique performer, make it into the Top Five.

Did J.J. Watt ever make it into the Top Five at DE...?? 8-) :idea: :?:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish

McCOY: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

ADonaldBeast
Starter

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:36 am

Commish wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:50 pm
29TheBest wrote:
Into the Top Ten on next year's listing anyway, I'm hoping--IMHO it's unlikely to see a D-lineman, especially a three-technique performer, make it into the Top Five.

Did J.J. Watt ever make it into the Top Five at DE...?? 8-) :idea: :?:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish
JJ Watt was #1 I believe in 2015 and #5 in 2016

crazy-legs
Veteran

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:48 am

One of the best defensive players in football - no one would dispute that however...

There's no way he's more important than Brady, Big Ben, Rodgers etc...

Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...

Rammer
Veteran

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:51 am

crazy-legs wrote:
One of the best defensive players in football - no one would dispute that however...

Agreed. Also, The Rams are much stronger on that side of the ball but they don't even really have a top defense. Maybe not even as good as its personnel sometimes. So for me, it isn't just how he handles his own individual position. To be the best player in the NFL , he needs to be the unquestioned leader on the defense and one of those elite players that makes everyone around him better. Like a Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, etc . I don't see necessarily see that yet. Maybe it's not fair but if the rams are gonna be 5-11, then the defense he leads has to be elite. Otherwise, there is no way you can call him the best player in the nfl.

69RamFan
Pro-bowler

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:56 am

Rammer wrote:
crazy-legs wrote:

Agreed. Also, The Rams are much stronger on that side of the ball but they don't even really have a top defense. Maybe not even as good as its personnel sometimes. So for me, it isn't just how he handles his own individual position. To be the best player in the NFL , he needs to be the unquestioned leader on the defense and one of those elite players that makes everyone around him better. Like a Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, etc . I don't see necessarily see that yet. Maybe it's not fair but if the rams are gonna be 5-11, then the defense he leads has to be elite. Otherwise, there is no way you can call him the best player in the nfl.
Players aren't great unless they have good to great players around them.

I remember one year, Ray Lewis was saying he wasn't playing up to his potential when he lost DT Siragusa,

Lewis complained to the coaching staff to get him a DT so he could do his job. A few years later they drafted DT Ngata, and he said that revived his career, because he wasn't taking on blockers and getting hurt, plus he could roam free.

So with the new coaching staff and switching to 3-4, it could bring out AD to another level and the players around him.

This is a team sport, great teams have great players and great coaching staff around them.

AD has been named to the Pro Bowl since his rookie year and a All Pro his last 2 years out of 3 years in the league....

Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, Tom Brady, or Aaron Rodgers, haven't had a start in the League like Aaron Donald, and Big Ben can't even sniff his Jock Strap in starting off in the League.

We have a very special kid on our team, and you are comparing him to guys who been in the league for some time, and he just scratching the surface. :roll: :roll: :roll:

So if you are comparing those players that been in the league for some time, with him only being in the league for 3 years, I say that's saying something special about this kid.

crazy-legs
Veteran

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:18 pm

69RamFan wrote:
Rammer wrote:
crazy-legs wrote:

I remember one year, Ray Lewis was saying he wasn't playing up to his potential when he lost DT Siragusa,

Lewis complained to the coaching staff to get him a DT so he could do his job. A few years later they drafted DT Ngata, and he said that revived his career, because he wasn't taking on blockers and getting hurt, plus he could roam free.

So with the new coaching staff and switching to 3-4, it could bring out AD to another level and the players around him.

This is a team sport, great teams have great players and great coaching staff around them.

AD has been named to the Pro Bowl since his rookie year and a All Pro his last 2 years out of 3 years in the league....

Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, Tom Brady, or Aaron Rodgers, haven't had a start in the League like Aaron Donald, and Big Ben can't even sniff his Jock Strap in starting off in the League.

We have a very special kid on our team, and you are comparing him to guys who been in the league for some time, and he just scratching the surface. :roll: :roll: :roll:

So if you are comparing those players that been in the league for some time, with him only being in the league for 3 years, I say that's saying something special about this kid.
I'm saying a franchise QB trumps all others. Those guys are hard to find and there's really only a handful who are SB caliber QB's. I'd take Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben etc. over Donald any day of the week. They have far more importance...

Not trashing on Donald. He's the best player we have and perhaps the best Defensive player in all of football. I just think the QB has far more weight to the position...

Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...

69RamFan
Pro-bowler

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:41 pm

crazy-legs wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:18 pm
69RamFan wrote:
Rammer wrote:

I'm saying a franchise QB trumps all others. Those guys are hard to find and there's really only a handful who are SB caliber QB's. I'd take Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben etc. over Donald any day of the week. They have far more importance...

Not trashing on Donald. He's the best player we have and perhaps the best Defensive player in all of football. I just think the QB has far more weight to the position...
If you took any of those QBs you mention and put them on our team from last year, with the offensive coaching and the O-line they played with, we still wouldn't of made the playoffs, maybe win a few more games, cause as I was saying, its a team sport.

As the saying goes, Defense wins Championships. with great players,

And don't put Big ben as a Great QB, cause he was surrounded around a great team, look at his first Super Bowl, team D and the running game won it.

The last year Denver won it, it wasn't Manning, it was the D...

The Ravens had great Defense, and decent QBs to win those Super Bowls.

I get what you trying to say, if you have a great QB, your chances are higher,
but its still a team sport and everyone has to carry their weight.