Random Fodder as We Await Camp
  • Wildflecken
    Bench Warmer

Random Fodder as We Await Camp

by Wildflecken » 25 Jun 2017, 05:52

1.) Awfully quiet on the hire of the front office position Demoff alluded to adding back in January. The position above Snead that would allow Demoff to focus solely on the new venue. Imperative Rams add this position sooner rather than later. The need is evident for a strong football mind well versed in all aspects of the football operations side of house. I understand the Rams do not backload contacts, a philosophy I fully agree with, but for an organization who has not made playoffs in the number of years the Rams have not, the cap is awfully tight and hindering the effort to redo Donald's contract. The handling of the defensive backfield from a cap perspective has been almost laughable. How they diluted the talent with the loss of JJ and RCM but did not see an improvement in the cap allotted to the positional unit is puzzling indeed.

2.) We are not even to the first training camp of the new regime and they have already made a positive impression on the handling of the roster. This group knows the talent they need at each and every position to succeed. Their efforts cannot be hindered by a less than stellar front office. Love the fact they are not wasting valuable practice reps on talents they know do not fit their system. The history of first time HC's is certainly a fair point to ponder, but McVay has already proven he wastes no time on those not committed or able to get him to where desires the organization to go.

3.) Yardbarker ranks Rams having second worst qb situation in entire league, yikes. Hope Jared read this and is driven to prove that rag wrong.

4.) Thought Thomas was an extreme value pick last draft. News McVay is high on him is a very, very good sign. Imperative Rams can put on tape early they can stretch field when they desire. If they don't it will be another very long season for Gurley. The more I see of them, I am liking this young group of wr's.

5.) If Phillips can do what he has done elsewhere in season one with this defense, that being nearly every single one of them improved and are always in top ten in fewest yds allowed. He does that with the defense and Goff does improve enough to keep opponent defense honest, giving Gurley room to be Gurley, well those who bet the Rams to make playoffs this summer in Vegas may have one nice payoff coming.
  • poplarbluffman
    Bench Warmer

Re: Random Fodder as We Await Camp

by poplarbluffman » 25 Jun 2017, 06:44

good points

also add saw Emery college(obviously another rag out to get the Rams), said LA Rams fans 31sts best fans the NFL that deserves a solid atta boy!

keep wondering where all the new players on offense? McVay after 3 years knows most of the players around the league either from working them out before the draft or as street free agents..

good news about Thomas is bad news about Reynolds...a 6th rd pick getting more praise then a 4th? my write up on Thomas pre draft . Mike Thomas 4th/6th WR Southern Mississippi 6'3 212 JC kid..late bloomer but with starter ability NFL body long arms/big hands kills slants and and Rams never threw him even one slant so fast would outrun defenders in college..hopefully McVay uses him correctly and Thomas corrects hands issues. Posted many times about my aversion to JC kids

my issue with the Phillips hire was rams were a 4-3 D that finished 9th in total defense last year without a NFL caliber cb on the right side..draft a cb in a super deep draft and Rams would be a top 5 without Phillips now he has to break apart the d to build a 3-4..also life of a 3-4 dlinemen is very short..Donald?

lot of stories about Goff learning the new offense..actually a negative story that so many scribes feel it deserves a mention..already cut their 3rd qb looking for the vet qb signing pre camp.

best news is Robinson...worst news is Tru Johnson contract status and the lack of an outside cb on the roster to replace him..not drafting a cb high last year draft will, I predict, jump and bite McVay & the Rams in the ass..2nd scariest story is expecting Brown to be a good RT. Bad guards rarely if ever become good tackles. Signing a solid veteran OT will be huge this year.

looking from here wish there were rave stories about Everett...another JC kid..actually only rave stories so far are about Kupp(expected brainty kid who will quickly learn the playbook)..maybe the writers are even worse in LA then in St Louis and are missing what is actually important if McVay & rams want to turn around 14 straight years of not having a winning season
  • Wildflecken
    Bench Warmer

by Wildflecken » 25 Jun 2017, 07:17

good points

also add saw Emery college(obviously another rag out to get the Rams), said LA Rams fans 31sts best fans the NFL that deserves a solid atta boy!

keep wondering where all the new players on offense? McVay after 3 years knows most of the players around the league either from working them out before the draft or as street free agents..

good news about Thomas is bad news about Reynolds...a 6th rd pick getting more praise then a 4th? my write up on Thomas pre draft . Mike Thomas 4th/6th WR Southern Mississippi 6'3 212 JC kid..late bloomer but with starter ability NFL body long arms/big hands kills slants and and Rams never threw him even one slant so fast would outrun defenders in college..hopefully McVay uses him correctly and Thomas corrects hands issues. Posted many times about my aversion to JC kids

my issue with the Phillips hire was rams were a 4-3 D that finished 9th in total defense last year without a NFL caliber cb on the right side..draft a cb in a super deep draft and Rams would be a top 5 without Phillips now he has to break apart the d to build a 3-4..also life of a 3-4 dlinemen is very short..Donald?

lot of stories about Goff learning the new offense..actually a negative story that so many scribes feel it deserves a mention..already cut their 3rd qb looking for the vet qb signing pre camp.

best news is Robinson...worst news is Tru Johnson contract status and the lack of an outside cb on the roster to replace him..not drafting a cb high last year draft will, I predict, jump and bite McVay & the Rams in the ass..2nd scariest story is expecting Brown to be a good RT. Bad guards rarely if ever become good tackles. Signing a solid veteran OT will be huge this year.

looking from here wish there were rave stories about Everett...another JC kid..actually only rave stories so far are about Kupp(expected brainty kid who will quickly learn the playbook)..maybe the writers are even worse in LA then in St Louis and are missing what is actually important if McVay & rams want to turn around 14 straight years of not having a winning season
    Actually considered a separate post on this topic, Rams going with a 3-4 coordinator whose system moves their best talent out of position. Eerily similar to not only drafting spread wr talent but as a high priority for a Jeff Fisher offense versus roadgraders like Lewan/Conklin and power downhill rb's like TN has done with adding Murray in FA and drafting Henry. Why I have the front office hire in my belief, maybe priority number one for the new regime to succeed, assuming they make the right hire and get a solid football mind who will keep the ship righted on the correct path versus the wild swings in what appear differing philosophies each offseason. The 2015 defense was special, good enough for a deep playoff run if they would of taken the correct path offensively. That defense did not need much help but received little to none.
    Dick84
    Bench Warmer

by Dick84 » 25 Jun 2017, 08:58

good points

Hard to take a guy seriously on evaluation when he consistently doesn't know basic stuff about prospects.
    The 6-3 Thomas is the one the Saints got.
    Anyone who did any real reading on the Rams Thomas know that they got an excellent, fluid athlete who really loves to compete.. with very questionable hands. Guess what? That's who he was as a rookie. We saw flashes, but we saw awful mistakes. I'm hopeful the hands thing is a concentration issue. Weird that you bomb juco guys like Everett.. but praise Thomas. Odd.
    Red flag that a guy one year in is looking better than a rookie at his first OTAs and minicamp? Folks... you just can't make this stuff up.
    Wade switching from a 4-3 is something he's done multiple times with success. Maybe reading up on his approach and history would help?
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/02/ne ... h-4-3-3-4/
    The Tru thing is interesting. Big picture? They botched by not tying up either Tru or JJ before last season. Period.
    Moving forward? I found it interesting that everyone doing interviews toward the end of Mini Camp ran away from the whole.. "does Tru fit" meme. Wade also talked about the secondary talent in a positive light, overall..

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-ra ... e-phillips
    The question is the secondary, though Phillips believes that department is "stronger than people think. I think they'll show that."

Based on his track record.. I do think we should maybe... just maybe.. give Phillips a little benefit of doubt.

Goff stories... neutral to me. Not negative, not positive... just writers answering a question this time of year and.. what do we think everyone is going to say? I'm sure Goff looks better in OTAs & mini than he did last year.. but what does that actually mean? Shoot.. no idea. Let's see what happens when pads come on.
    3rd QB being cut (again) means they're scrambling for a veteran backup. Got it.
    Brown at RT. Will wait and see what happens with the right side of the line.
    TEs rarely come out gangbusters as rookies. 2nd highest receptions for a rookie TE last year? 19. Everett was 4th TE drafted... so, perspective. More importantly, Higbee is looking great, by all accounts.. *that* is what's important right now.

Rams have purged multiple people from the roster.. the most "Fisher" of players, for sure, in Britt and Hayes and Robinson.

Brought in true Culture changers in Woods.. Whitworth.. Sullivan.. Kupp.. Barwin.. Webster.

For some people... ones locked into an ideology, viewpoint, seeing change is impossible.

Now.. will the Rams be *good* this year? Shoot... no idea. I expect improvement.. but so much rests on whether Goff gets it. The offense will look better, overall and the defense will be just fine, based on Wade Phillips history and the amount of talent the Rams already have on the roster.
    Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
    3-24-16
  • Wildflecken
    Bench Warmer

by Wildflecken » 25 Jun 2017, 14:43

Dick I know you are a die hard Rams fan and that is to be admired. Sometimes however (and I have been guilty of this in past myself) maybe the fact you bleed Rams colors leads you to take offense to the point sometimes made. I think Wade will get the back 7 up to speed, they have some talent both in what they added in FA, draft and UDFA (like Penton a lot). But the point was the cap allotted to the position. The talent they have now is not proven talent, like JJ and RCM, Normally when you let proven talent walk it is due to cap and the fact you need to use these positions to improve your cap position and hope to replace them with cheaper cap options with hopefully a not too far drop off in talent. I don't see the cap improvement is the point.

Hoping defensive backfield takes steps forward from last season and think they very well should as we are two seasons now removed from losing these players
    Dick84
    Bench Warmer

by Dick84 » 25 Jun 2017, 15:54

Dick I know you are a die hard Rams fan and that is to be admired. Sometimes however (and I have been guilty of this in past myself) maybe the fact you bleed Rams colors leads you to take offense to the point sometimes made. I think Wade will get the back 7 up to speed, they have some talent both in what they added in FA, draft and UDFA (like Penton a lot). But the point was the cap allotted to the position. The talent they have now is not proven talent, like JJ and RCM, Normally when you let proven talent walk it is due to cap and the fact you need to use these positions to improve your cap position and hope to replace them with cheaper cap options with hopefully a not too far drop off in talent. I don't see the cap improvement is the point.

Hoping defensive backfield takes steps forward from last season and think they very well should as we are two seasons now removed from losing these players
    You missed the part where I said they blew it in not signing JJ or Tru before the 16 season?
    Rodney.. loved him, but don't think it would've been wise to sign him to that kind of contract. He's very good.. he's not a star.
    Also.. what I'm saying.. is we haven't seen the product to know whether they're in a good position or not when it comes to corner and safety... at least FS. I'm pretty comfortable with SS and they seem comfortable with FS. They have a solid nickel.. two, even. One solid corner and several candidates on the other side.
    What am I missing?
    3-24-16
  • Wildflecken
    Bench Warmer

by Wildflecken » 25 Jun 2017, 16:16

You missed the part where I said they blew it in not signing JJ or Tru before the 16 season?
    Rodney.. loved him, but don't think it would've been wise to sign him to that kind of contract. He's very good.. he's not a star.
    Also.. what I'm saying.. is we haven't seen the product to know whether they're in a good position or not when it comes to corner and safety... at least FS. I'm pretty comfortable with SS and they seem comfortable with FS. They have a solid nickel.. two, even. One solid corner and several candidates on the other side.
    What am I missing?
    Evidently not a thing. Must of been me misreading or missing something (told you above I do it, ha ha )
    Dick84
    Bench Warmer

by Dick84 » 25 Jun 2017, 17:13

Ah, good.
    Yeah... I'm not predicting top 5 or anything.. but I do believe they'll give up appreciably fewer points & about the same yardage.
    3-24-16
  • Ants
    Bench Warmer

by Ants » 26 Jun 2017, 06:57

Hard to take a guy seriously on evaluation when he consistently doesn't know basic stuff about prospects.
    The 6-3 Thomas is the one the Saints got.
    Anyone who did any real reading on the Rams Thomas know that they got an excellent, fluid athlete who really loves to compete.. with very questionable hands. Guess what? That's who he was as a rookie. We saw flashes, but we saw awful mistakes. I'm hopeful the hands thing is a concentration issue. Weird that you bomb juco guys like Everett.. but praise Thomas. Odd.
    Red flag that a guy one year in is looking better than a rookie at his first OTAs and minicamp? Folks... you just can't make this stuff up.
    Wade switching from a 4-3 is something he's done multiple times with success. Maybe reading up on his approach and history would help?
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/02/ne ... h-4-3-3-4/
    The Tru thing is interesting. Big picture? They botched by not tying up either Tru or JJ before last season. Period.
    Moving forward? I found it interesting that everyone doing interviews toward the end of Mini Camp ran away from the whole.. "does Tru fit" meme. Wade also talked about the secondary talent in a positive light, overall..

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-ra ... e-phillips
    The question is the secondary, though Phillips believes that department is "stronger than people think. I think they'll show that."

Based on his track record.. I do think we should maybe... just maybe.. give Phillips a little benefit of doubt.

Goff stories... neutral to me. Not negative, not positive... just writers answering a question this time of year and.. what do we think everyone is going to say? I'm sure Goff looks better in OTAs & mini than he did last year.. but what does that actually mean? Shoot.. no idea. Let's see what happens when pads come on.
    3rd QB being cut (again) means they're scrambling for a veteran backup. Got it.
    Brown at RT. Will wait and see what happens with the right side of the line.
    TEs rarely come out gangbusters as rookies. 2nd highest receptions for a rookie TE last year? 19. Everett was 4th TE drafted... so, perspective. More importantly, Higbee is looking great, by all accounts.. *that* is what's important right now.

Rams have purged multiple people from the roster.. the most "Fisher" of players, for sure, in Britt and Hayes and Robinson.

Brought in true Culture changers in Woods.. Whitworth.. Sullivan.. Kupp.. Barwin.. Webster.

For some people... ones locked into an ideology, viewpoint, seeing change is impossible.

Now.. will the Rams be *good* this year? Shoot... no idea. I expect improvement.. but so much rests on whether Goff gets it. The offense will look better, overall and the defense will be just fine, based on Wade Phillips history and the amount of talent the Rams already have on the roster.

Funny, as much as I disagree with you politically, I AGREE with you here. 8-)
    You summed it up nicely.
    :idea: Let's win some games.
  • Bumpy95
    Rookie

by Bumpy95 » 26 Jun 2017, 08:52

I just can't get behind the Goff thing. We will see this season. The Rams have already invested tooo much in him to do anything else. My hope is they give him this year and if there are no signs that he is going to make it, dump him quick. Another decade of stumbling around with also Rams as we did after the dreadful Bradford years will be very hard to take. Who is else there for another back-up?
  • sanbagger
    Rookie

by sanbagger » 26 Jun 2017, 09:59

I just can't get behind the Goff thing. We will see this season. The Rams have already invested tooo much in him to do anything else. My hope is they give him this year and if there are no signs that he is going to make it, dump him quick. Another decade of stumbling around with also Rams as we did after the dreadful Bradford years will be very hard to take. Who is else there for another back-up?
    My thought is Goff is gonna get at least 2 years in this system to see if he's the guy.

As far as who's available...I hear Krappernick is available.
  • Bumpy95
    Rookie

by Bumpy95 » 26 Jun 2017, 11:46

Sanbagger,
    Can't see Kaepernick on the Rams, bwahahahahahahaha!
    By the way , I was banned and I do not post on PD. Tell that jerk Kasper Goldberg that I was banned for attacking him. If he doesn't believe that he can e-mail ddierker of whom I have had numerous discussions about being let back in. Yes they DO do an IP ban. I am not computer savvy so I now prefer to be here with other Ram fans who aren't jerking other true blues around.
    Thanks for sending my message to Coach King. I'm hoping he gets back to true health.

Go Rams! Yep that's right!
  • Claremontram
    Rookie

by Claremontram » 26 Jun 2017, 12:49

I would agree with some of you that the key is Wade and instant top 10 defense this season. The unknown is McVay et al and our anemic offense. I was hoping for another vet to help stabilize this offensive crew.

We will see.
    Bruuce80
    Rookie

by Bruuce80 » 26 Jun 2017, 18:23

I would agree with some of you that the key is Wade and instant top 10 defense this season. The unknown is McVay et al and our anemic offense. I was hoping for another vet to help stabilize this offensive crew.

We will see.
    Wade and the D will play a huge roll in this season. I will not be shocked to see the O struggle a little coming out of the gate due to all of the changes this off-season. I just hope that the D can hold us together long enough until things come together.
    LARAMSinFebruary
    Rookie

by LARAMSinFebruary » 26 Jun 2017, 20:36

Agreed; it's not necessarily "bad news" for Josh Reynolds if Thomas or anyone else turns up. As someone who's watched the Redskins closely, I can tell you McVay's offense and system makes plenty of room for everyone who's productive.
  • crazy-legs
    Bench Warmer

by crazy-legs » 27 Jun 2017, 12:47

I agree with Bumpy95 - if Goff is even remotely as bad as he was last year we have to draft another QB. There are 4 QB's who are potential top 10 picks next year. If we're in the top 10 we have to pull the trigger. You take a QB every 2 to 3 years until you find a franchise QB. Anything else is wasting time far more than not IMO...

Thomas has skill. He's been in the league a year and he obviously didn't sit on the sidelines twiddling his thumbs last year. He wants to play and appears willing to do whatever it takes to make sure he gets playing time. He's hungry and that's the type of players we need. There's no reason to trash on Reynolds though. I think Reynolds has NFL skill but he was a 4th round pick and most WR's take some time to get use to the NFL. It's not like he came off the board #3 overall...

I think the D will be better. We gave up a lot of 1st downs on 3rd down and had a few big plays that shouldn't of happened. It may or may not take sometime to gel but I expect to see a really tough D by years end. Hopefully Wade is right regarding how underrated our secondary is...
    Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...
    Dick84
    Bench Warmer

by Dick84 » 27 Jun 2017, 17:29

I agree with Bumpy95 - if Goff is even remotely as bad as he was last year we have to draft another QB. There are 4 QB's who are potential top 10 picks next year. If we're in the top 10 we have to pull the trigger. You take a QB every 2 to 3 years until you find a franchise QB. Anything else is wasting time far more than not IMO...

Thomas has skill. He's been in the league a year and he obviously didn't sit on the sidelines twiddling his thumbs last year. He wants to play and appears willing to do whatever it takes to make sure he gets playing time. He's hungry and that's the type of players we need. There's no reason to trash on Reynolds though. I think Reynolds has NFL skill but he was a 4th round pick and most WR's take some time to get use to the NFL. It's not like he came off the board #3 overall...

I think the D will be better. We gave up a lot of 1st downs on 3rd down and had a few big plays that shouldn't of happened. It may or may not take sometime to gel but I expect to see a really tough D by years end. Hopefully Wade is right regarding how underrated our secondary is...
    If Goff is as bad as last year? Of course you dump him. I don't see any chance of that, but would move on if that's the case.

Reynolds also has a particular skill that no other Rams receiver really has.. he can truly go out and "high point" a ball.. he's taller with a slightly better vert than Thomas. So, there's definitely room for him.
    3-24-16
  • crazy-legs
    Bench Warmer

by crazy-legs » 27 Jun 2017, 19:08

Reynolds also has a particular skill that no other Rams receiver really has.. he can truly go out and "high point" a ball.. he's taller with a slightly better vert than Thomas. So, there's definitely room for him.
    +1

I too think he'll garner playing time. As you stated - he can go up and get it. I expect to see him in a lot of formations from the 10 yard line on in at the very least...
    Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...
    sdram
    Bench Warmer

by sdram » 28 Jun 2017, 12:25

also add saw Emery [sic] college(obviously another rag out to get the Rams), said LA Rams fans 31sts best fans the NFL that deserves a solid atta boy!
    The Rams are not a popular team for sure. I'm not sure why you're celebrating that fact. Some of the numbers used in that analysis don't make sense, but it's hard to argue that the Rams are a bottom feeder when it comes to popularity. I am very surprised to see that the team with the worst fan base is the Chiefs. I guess I should be happy they're the worst, but then again I've never worried about whether the Rams are popular. All I care about is that they start winning consistently. Winning will solve their popularity "problem." 8-)

https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/201 ... ings-2017/
    Dick84
    Bench Warmer

by Dick84 » 28 Jun 2017, 15:46

also add saw Emery [sic] college(obviously another rag out to get the Rams), said LA Rams fans 31sts best fans the NFL that deserves a solid atta boy!
    The Rams are not a popular team for sure. I'm not sure why you're celebrating that fact. Some of the numbers used in that analysis don't make sense, but it's hard to argue that the Rams are a bottom feeder when it comes to popularity. I am very surprised to see that the team with the worst fan base is the Chiefs. I guess I should be happy they're the worst, but then again I've never worried about whether the Rams are popular. All I care about is that they start winning consistently. Winning will solve their popularity "problem." 8-)

https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/201 ... ings-2017/
    When you lose for a decade.. your popularity SHOULD suffer.
    3-24-16