Great Interview With Rich Eisen, Steve Smith and McVay

General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Uplandram2

Post Reply

User avatar
sdram
Veteran
Posts: 2006
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:42 am

Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:57 pm

Thanks for posting that. It's always good to see discussions about our team. McVay is a very impressive interview with a lot of energy. I liked to hear how positive he is about Goff, too.



User avatar
UtahRam
Bench Warmer
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:05 pm

Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:23 pm

Tired of all the talk...



choop145
Bench Warmer
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:12 am

Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:34 am

UtahRam wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:23 pm
Tired of all the talk...
...says the man on a message board.



grackler
Starter
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:25 pm

Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:24 pm

The one overarching impression I've gotten from McVay in this interview and others I've heard: he may know football X's and O's, but he's still a virtual kid and really seems to lack the personal gravitas that will be necessary down the road to deal with a range of problems, including disgruntled players/staff with more experience than he has.

McVay seems like a nice enough kid, but I can't shake impression that he's just too young/inexperienced to be a successful NFL coach. The fact that he was hired by two proven, protracted losers (Snead, Demoff) doesn't help either.

I hope like hell that I'm wrong.



User avatar
Dick84
Pro-bowler
Posts: 4852
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:28 pm

grackler wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:24 pm
The one overarching impression I've gotten from McVay in this interview and others I've heard: he may know football X's and O's, but he's still a virtual kid and really seems to lack the personal gravitas that will be necessary down the road to deal with a range of problems, including disgruntled players/staff with more experience than he has.

McVay seems like a nice enough kid, but I can't shake impression that he's just too young/inexperienced to be a successful NFL coach. The fact that he was hired by two proven, protracted losers (Snead, Demoff) doesn't help either.

I hope like hell that I'm wrong.
Have seen/read absolutely nothing that would back this up.

Other than the general... "he's young" reference.

Maybe reading up on him *before* the Rams hired him would change your perspective?

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/02/nfl- ... jay-gruden


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

Ants
Veteran
Posts: 1473
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:57 am

Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:53 am

choop145 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:34 am
UtahRam wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:23 pm
Tired of all the talk...
...says the man on a message board.
:lol:


:idea: Let's win some games.

User avatar
Safety Blitz
Veteran
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:07 pm

Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:37 am

My takeaways:

a. Smith envies quarterbacks

b. McVay's relationship skills are off the charts: his ability to stay positive and poised while being provoked by others is impressive. Players will learn to respect him more and more.

c. McVay seems like he expects Gurley to shine in 2017.

d. While giving Tavon a chance to have a full route tree to try out, he'll also rely on Kupp, Thomas, and others to make the system work. IF Tavon can't succeed up and down the tree, he will lose time to someone who can.

e. McVay is realistic and is anticipating some challenges that are going to test him.
f. McVay's willngness to appreciate and benefit from players and coaches will serve him well. He has a laudable blend of confidence and humility.

g. McVay frequently uses these words to describe a good QB: "A guy who becomes an extension of the coaches..." The reason he digs Cousins: he went out and did what we told him to do." McVay won't keep players who can't carry out specific assignments, especially the QB.

h. I predict McVay will make quick decisions about personnel. If someone shows an inability or unwillingness to serve the system, they'll be gone. He wants loyalists who do what he tells them to do.

i. He again mentioned how it's his job to put in game plans for Goff that utilize his strengths. His strengths according to Sean : )1) his toughness allows him to keep his eyes on his target right before being hammered. (2) He's a natural thrower who can make all throws (3) He's smart and picks things up fast (4) Goff still has swagger even though he was humiliated in year 1 (4) Goff doesn't blame others for his struggles (unlike Gurley).


Go Rams!
Go McVay!

McVay will be a huuuuggggeeee success as a HC!


"Peace, be still."

User avatar
Dick84
Pro-bowler
Posts: 4852
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:09 am

Safety Blitz wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:37 am
My takeaways:

a. Smith envies quarterbacks

b. McVay's relationship skills are off the charts: his ability to stay positive and poised while being provoked by others is impressive. Players will learn to respect him more and more.

c. McVay seems like he expects Gurley to shine in 2017.

d. While giving Tavon a chance to have a full route tree to try out, he'll also rely on Kupp, Thomas, and others to make the system work. IF Tavon can't succeed up and down the tree, he will lose time to someone who can.

e. McVay is realistic and is anticipating some challenges that are going to test him.
f. McVay's willngness to appreciate and benefit from players and coaches will serve him well. He has a laudable blend of confidence and humility.

g. McVay frequently uses these words to describe a good QB: "A guy who becomes an extension of the coaches..." The reason he digs Cousins: he went out and did what we told him to do." McVay won't keep players who can't carry out specific assignments, especially the QB.

h. I predict McVay will make quick decisions about personnel. If someone shows an inability or unwillingness to serve the system, they'll be gone. He wants loyalists who do what he tells them to do.

i. He again mentioned how it's his job to put in game plans for Goff that utilize his strengths. His strengths according to Sean : )1) his toughness allows him to keep his eyes on his target right before being hammered. (2) He's a natural thrower who can make all throws (3) He's smart and picks things up fast (4) Goff still has swagger even though he was humiliated in year 1 (4) Goff doesn't blame others for his struggles (unlike Gurley).


Go Rams!
Go McVay!

McVay will be a huuuuggggeeee success as a HC!
People who are bagging on him are just missing this, imo.

In the interview... he's at ease having fun at his own expense.. *where appropriate*.. also, I just love, LOVE, that he points out the benefits of his family connections. LOVE IT. He shows that he's fully conscious that he's had opportunities that others might not have and he RESPECTS THAT.
Sorry for the goofy caps.. I just think he's an impressive young man. Will he win? Who knows... but he's NOT some fucking Lane Kiffin.. that much is incredibly obvious.


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

User avatar
LARAMSinFebruary
Bench Warmer
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:48 pm

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:38 am

grackler wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:24 pm
The one overarching impression I've gotten from McVay in this interview and others I've heard: he may know football X's and O's, but he's still a virtual kid and really seems to lack the personal gravitas that will be necessary down the road to deal with a range of problems, including disgruntled players/staff with more experience than he has.

McVay seems like a nice enough kid, but I can't shake impression that he's just too young/inexperienced to be a successful NFL coach. <snip>
I don't see any hint of this. McVay grew up and developed in a football success environment, plus has obviously developed a lot of the character/integrity/proactive leadership stuff beyond what I've heard from any NFL people of any age. Combine that with his over-the-top energy level and the fact he seems like a really mentally healthy person, and I think we got the steal of the avail. coaches out there; who else would you've wanted? We all know his X's and O's stuff is 2nd maybe only to Kyle's. Belichick's about the only one out there I'd feel more confident about in turning the Rams around.



Ants
Veteran
Posts: 1473
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:57 am

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:27 am

Safety Blitz wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:37 am
My takeaways:

a. Smith envies quarterbacks

b. McVay's relationship skills are off the charts: his ability to stay positive and poised while being provoked by others is impressive. Players will learn to respect him more and more.

c. McVay seems like he expects Gurley to shine in 2017.

d. While giving Tavon a chance to have a full route tree to try out, he'll also rely on Kupp, Thomas, and others to make the system work. IF Tavon can't succeed up and down the tree, he will lose time to someone who can.

e. McVay is realistic and is anticipating some challenges that are going to test him.
f. McVay's willngness to appreciate and benefit from players and coaches will serve him well. He has a laudable blend of confidence and humility.

g. McVay frequently uses these words to describe a good QB: "A guy who becomes an extension of the coaches..." The reason he digs Cousins: he went out and did what we told him to do." McVay won't keep players who can't carry out specific assignments, especially the QB.

h. I predict McVay will make quick decisions about personnel. If someone shows an inability or unwillingness to serve the system, they'll be gone. He wants loyalists who do what he tells them to do.

i. He again mentioned how it's his job to put in game plans for Goff that utilize his strengths. His strengths according to Sean : )1) his toughness allows him to keep his eyes on his target right before being hammered. (2) He's a natural thrower who can make all throws (3) He's smart and picks things up fast (4) Goff still has swagger even though he was humiliated in year 1 (4) Goff doesn't blame others for his struggles (unlike Gurley).


Go Rams!
Go McVay!

McVay will be a huuuuggggeeee success as a HC!
I didn't watch the interview, but if it was as you describe it (and I believe it was), it all looks good to me. Now it's time to execute.


:idea: Let's win some games.

User avatar
69RamFan
Pro-bowler
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:19 pm
Location: LA-CA By way of NY/NJ

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:31 pm

Dick84 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:09 am
Safety Blitz wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:37 am
My takeaways:

a. Smith envies quarterbacks

b. McVay's relationship skills are off the charts: his ability to stay positive and poised while being provoked by others is impressive. Players will learn to respect him more and more.

c. McVay seems like he expects Gurley to shine in 2017.

d. While giving Tavon a chance to have a full route tree to try out, he'll also rely on Kupp, Thomas, and others to make the system work. IF Tavon can't succeed up and down the tree, he will lose time to someone who can.

e. McVay is realistic and is anticipating some challenges that are going to test him.
f. McVay's willngness to appreciate and benefit from players and coaches will serve him well. He has a laudable blend of confidence and humility.

g. McVay frequently uses these words to describe a good QB: "A guy who becomes an extension of the coaches..." The reason he digs Cousins: he went out and did what we told him to do." McVay won't keep players who can't carry out specific assignments, especially the QB.

h. I predict McVay will make quick decisions about personnel. If someone shows an inability or unwillingness to serve the system, they'll be gone. He wants loyalists who do what he tells them to do.

i. He again mentioned how it's his job to put in game plans for Goff that utilize his strengths. His strengths according to Sean : )1) his toughness allows him to keep his eyes on his target right before being hammered. (2) He's a natural thrower who can make all throws (3) He's smart and picks things up fast (4) Goff still has swagger even though he was humiliated in year 1 (4) Goff doesn't blame others for his struggles (unlike Gurley).


Go Rams!
Go McVay!

McVay will be a huuuuggggeeee success as a HC!
People who are bagging on him are just missing this, imo.

In the interview... he's at ease having fun at his own expense.. *where appropriate*.. also, I just love, LOVE, that he points out the benefits of his family connections. LOVE IT. He shows that he's fully conscious that he's had opportunities that others might not have and he RESPECTS THAT.
Sorry for the goofy caps.. I just think he's an impressive young man. Will he win? Who knows... but he's NOT some fucking Lane Kiffin.. that much is incredibly obvious.

+1



Post Reply