by the numbers/random thoughts

General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Uplandram2

poplarbluffman
Veteran

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:43 am

Lance Zierlein Rams draft 26th best, nfl.com McVay 30th best head coach, .cbssports.com Pete Prisco Goff 32nd best starting qb, msm Goff 29th NFL top 100 player only one Aaron Donald 15th..expect the .Rams roster will be ranked around 25-30 by experts around the league doing a quick wiki on rosters I'd rank them 30th

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Rams will not reach a long-term agreement with franchise-tagged CB Trumaine Johnson before the July 17 deadline.
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reported the same a week ago, and it does not look like anything has changed. Unable to sign Johnson to a long-term deal after tagging him last year, it would have been difficult for the Rams to handle this situation any worse, and it now looks like Johnson will head to free agency next spring having earned $31 million over two seasons. Jun 27 - 10:23 AM
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/753 ... ne-johnson

keep reading former 6th rd pick Mike Thomas will be great, Jake Eldrenkamp will ab solid backup,ditto Blythe who was cut by the oline starved Colts, Spruce will be great and on and on truth is hoping a 6th rd pick develops or udfa's ever make the 53 let alone become solid backups are beyond realistic...

teams are made up with 1st & 2nd rd picks with a few 3rd/4th thrown in..after that odds are so long they aren't worth considering...

adding a very old LT and an old center who hasn't played in 2 years was wasted money. Jay Gruden used the #5 overall pick on Brandon Scherff a guard because he wanted to build from the inside out. McVay(all new H'C's) get 2 years to prove themselves.McVay, I'd guess because of his youth, is trying to win now....and leaving himself with major holes to fill next year..2 cb's, LT and C, wr...and possibly at rb and qb and new DC. while tearing apart a very good 4-3 defense..

watching thought McVay should of not bothered with scheme fits and gone purely bpa in the draft and only sign free agents entering their 2nd contract and just entering their prime...losing Ryan Groy ESPN.com reported the Rams made Groy a two-year, $5 million offer, 17 centers make more...was scary stupid...79.5 score last year per pff and entering his prime..Snead made it essy for Bufflao to match..still remember Groy saying how he wanted the Bills to match because he was from the midwest and didn't want to move to a different country with different values/morals

shame McVay wasted the opportunity to gut the team and do a total rebuild and finish 2017 with a 1 or 2 win season and restock the team. still shake my head at passing on Feeney in 3rd

no one even attempted doing my camp reports last year..hope someone tries this year..miss reading mine and my buddy coacho who used my template.we both knew depth charts matter...following who is moving up or down is all that matters..not that reynold beats a udfa cb playing in the 3rd team or Goff beatsTroy Hill with a pass

Fletch59
Veteran

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:45 am

So you're saying we have a chance?
Good enough from your perspective.

GO RAMS!

crazy-legs
Veteran

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:40 am

I agree on the draft grades. I really thought we could of done better...

Could just be me but I would of taken Lamp in round 2 and Elflein in the 3rd. That would of shored up our Guard slot and taken care of the Center position for the next decade (we've only needed to draft a center for the last 10 years)...

IMO we already had enough slot guys and I wouldn't of taken the 4th best TE in the draft that early...

Goff is a mystery to most. I didn't see anything in him last year that makes me think he'll be a franchise QB. With that said I didn't see anyone on O last year who looked like they were keepers. How does Gurley go from NFC ROY to a has been? Change in blocking scheme? Players gave up on Fisher? I think everyone, including Goff, should get a pass for the last 5 years. This is the year to evaluate Tavon, Gurley, Goff etc. seeing how we'll be running a modern day NFL offense for the first time in 5 years...

Even if Wade leaves after a year or two (this could be his last stop) it's an upgrade over what we had and hopefully he has an understudy on his staff that is worthy of a promotion...

I agree that we should target high caliber players entering their second contract (Snead said that was his goal when hired) not old vets but it's hard to only get players going into their prime (money\cap, only so many available etc.). Whitworth wasn't a bad signing IMO he's just not a long term solution...

Plenty of players come after round 4. Teams that consistently hit on those picks (and by that I mean 50% at best) have solid rosters top to bottom...

Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:47 am

OP loves Pff.. right??

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ra ... mpaign=nfl

18. Los Angeles Rams
Going from Greg Robinson to Andrew Whitworth should make Jared Goff’s life considerably easier. Whitworth had the highest pass-blocking efficiency of any tackle in the league last year. Even if he takes a small step back in his advanced age, that will still be one of the biggest offseason upgrades at any position around the NFL.

I'll take PFF's evaluation over his.

People are excited about what Thomas looks like and YOU were touting him last season Pophole... nothing in his physical profile that's not excellent.. he has a hands issue. Is it mental? We'll find out. His competitiveness showed up on STs and he fought like heck. Why you keep bombing him is obvious.. he's a Ram. No one's expecting him to be a "Number 1" WR... they're hoping he can provide a deep threat for a team that needs it and are happy he seems to be growing.

Your nonsense about draft high draft picks??? Sweet Jesus.. how misinformed and stupid can someone be? Everyone knows that you MUST hit on low round picks and UDFAs to be truly successful.. the salary cap structure demands it. Pat Kirwin often discusses that topic and, specifically, how it applies to constructing an offensive line. You need to find a gem or two, period.

Kromer knows Groy pretty good... perhaps they understand his value perfectly well and, smartly, weren't going chasing. Groy isn't even the starting center on his own team.. perhaps you're a little too excited. Did you check out Sullivan's grade for his game as a starter? Question with him is whether he'll hold up.

Blythe? Just a smart thing to take a look at a guy at a position you have question marks. Churning the roster is a good thing.. I do believe that's something you've stated in the past, Pophole.

The Rams front office screwed the pooch with the Trumaine/JJ situation. Period. Hindsight shows JJ was absolutely the right call and franchising Tru has become a boondoggle. Only smart thing they're doing is not extending Tru over his value. Get the 3rd round comp pick.. move on.

If you don't understand what the main goal of acquisitions for offense was this offseason, you may not be ready for football.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:54 am

crazy-legs wrote:

Could just be me but I would of taken Lamp in round 2 and Elflein in the 3rd. That would of shored up our Guard slot and taken care of the Center position for the next decade (we've only needed to draft a center for the last 10 years)...

IMO we already had enough slot guys and I wouldn't of taken the 4th best TE in the draft that early...

Goff is a mystery to most. I didn't see anything in him last year that makes me think he'll be a franchise QB. With that said I didn't see anyone on O last year who looked like they were keepers. How does Gurley go from NFC ROY to a has been? Change in blocking scheme? Players gave up on Fisher? I think everyone, including Goff, should get a pass for the last 5 years. This is the year to evaluate Tavon, Gurley, Goff etc. seeing how we'll be running a modern day NFL offense for the first time in 5 years...

Even if Wade leaves after a year or two (this could be his last stop) it's an upgrade over what we had and hopefully he has an understudy on his staff that is worthy of a promotion...

I agree that we should target high caliber players entering their second contract (Snead said that was his goal when hired) not old vets but it's hard to only get players going into their prime (money\cap, only so many available etc.). Whitworth wasn't a bad signing IMO he's just not a long term solution...

Plenty of players come after round 4. Teams that consistently hit on those picks (and by that I mean 50% at best) have solid rosters top to bottom...
I liked the draft, personally. Kupp dropped because of his 40, period. Exactly the kind of pick that ends up succeeding, imo. Of course.. we'll see.
The Line will be reconstructed over the next few years, clearly. I think the main goal this year is to get it functioning to protect Goff *now* and they didn't want to spend draft capital there. If Eldenkramp or someone else blows up in Camp, great.

I don't have a problem with Everett, in theory. A TE who makes plays with the ball in his hands sounds fun. But.. again.. we'll see, right? TEs are notorious for not having big rookie years.. .#2 rookie TE last year had 19 catches.

Goff is a mystery and you're entitled to your opinion. Just make sure you acknowledge that plenty of football people saw and still see in Goff a player with a ton of potential. You don't have to agree.. but it's not a mystery why he got picked so high or why some are hopeful.
You're 100% right on the offense and evaluating the players.
I love Wade and Pophole's ageist insults of him are pretty scumball.

Great take on the FA situation and Whitworth signing.

Hopefully it turns out to be a good draft and you'll be able to be more optimistic in the future.

3-24-16

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:58 am

Oh... Pophole cites Zeirlein's ranking of McVay (Which.. link? Honest question.. can't find that anywhere), but chooses to ignore things like Zeirlein's evaluations of players the Rams draft picks..

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2557889

3-24-16

sdram
Veteran

Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:33 am

could of? LOL!

As far as quoting negative analysts, we know there are some who have agendas. Some folks just wait for the Rams to fall apart and sit back and say "see I told you so." I'm as tired of watching this team fail year after year as much as anyone, but I'm willing to give this new regime a chance.

Underdog
Bench Warmer

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:27 pm

poplarbluffman wrote:

no one even attempted doing my camp reports last year..hope someone tries this year..miss reading mine and my buddy coacho who used my template.we both knew depth charts matter...following who is moving up or down is all that matters..not that reynold beats a udfa cb playing in the 3rd team or Goff beatsTroy Hill with a pass
Wait - you miss reading your own camp reports? Do you also miss making sweet, sweet love to yourself?

sanbagger
Veteran

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:40 pm

Underdog wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:27 pm
poplarbluffman wrote:

Wait - you miss reading your own camp reports? Do you also miss making sweet, sweet love to yourself?
To be fair....Hammer and Coach O did a great job with their camp reports. It was a generous thing they did for those of us that weren't able to attend camp and greatly appreciated.

Hammer was a tough evaluator but not nearly as negative as he has become.

Wildflecken
Veteran

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:42 pm

poplarbluffman wrote:
Lance Zierlein Rams draft 26th best, nfl.com McVay 30th best head coach, .cbssports.com Pete Prisco Goff 32nd best starting qb, msm Goff 29th NFL top 100 player only one Aaron Donald 15th..expect the .Rams roster will be ranked around 25-30 by experts around the league doing a quick wiki on rosters I'd rank them 30th

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Rams will not reach a long-term agreement with franchise-tagged CB Trumaine Johnson before the July 17 deadline.
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reported the same a week ago, and it does not look like anything has changed. Unable to sign Johnson to a long-term deal after tagging him last year, it would have been difficult for the Rams to handle this situation any worse, and it now looks like Johnson will head to free agency next spring having earned $31 million over two seasons. Jun 27 - 10:23 AM
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/753 ... ne-johnson

keep reading former 6th rd pick Mike Thomas will be great, Jake Eldrenkamp will ab solid backup,ditto Blythe who was cut by the oline starved Colts, Spruce will be great and on and on truth is hoping a 6th rd pick develops or udfa's ever make the 53 let alone become solid backups are beyond realistic...

teams are made up with 1st & 2nd rd picks with a few 3rd/4th thrown in..after that odds are so long they aren't worth considering...

adding a very old LT and an old center who hasn't played in 2 years was wasted money. Jay Gruden used the #5 overall pick on Brandon Scherff a guard because he wanted to build from the inside out. McVay(all new H'C's) get 2 years to prove themselves.McVay, I'd guess because of his youth, is trying to win now....and leaving himself with major holes to fill next year..2 cb's, LT and C, wr...and possibly at rb and qb and new DC. while tearing apart a very good 4-3 defense..

watching thought McVay should of not bothered with scheme fits and gone purely bpa in the draft and only sign free agents entering their 2nd contract and just entering their prime...losing Ryan Groy ESPN.com reported the Rams made Groy a two-year, $5 million offer, 17 centers make more...was scary stupid...79.5 score last year per pff and entering his prime..Snead made it essy for Bufflao to match..still remember Groy saying how he wanted the Bills to match because he was from the midwest and didn't want to move to a different country with different values/morals

shame McVay wasted the opportunity to gut the team and do a total rebuild and finish 2017 with a 1 or 2 win season and restock the team. still shake my head at passing on Feeney in 3rd

Where to begin, some excellent points made. Tru decision looks even worse when considering Rams were a few $$ apart with JJ on a 4 year deal who would of been a great fit in a Philips defense. No question Whitworth was a necessity and had my druthers on if Rams signed wrong Bengals FA lineman. Zeitler is a beast on the inside, but Rams had HUGE need at LOT.

Rams really need Gurley to re enter the top 100 discussion this season, top 50 and below ideal. McVay's hopes ride on the development of Goff. If he is not the qb McVay can not only run his offense through but do so at a Pro Bowl level, then yes a total rebuild was in all likelihood in order. A total rebuild however meant moving on from Snead and have to question if that was road Rams decided was necessary how would that alter he SK/Demoff relationship? Would Demoff enter into shaky ground in the eyes of SK? Maybe football ops are headed down that path eventually anyway, once new position is finally hired, leaving Demoff solely on the new venue and once complete his services no longer needed?

Interesting post Pop, the kool aid certainly now has a bitter aftertaste.

poplarbluffman
Veteran

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:13 am

yeah..Gurley is sort of a wild card...a healthy Whitworth, Sullivan and Gurley might make them a 8-8 team this year...still the problem doesn't go away...Rams needed to add a solid #2 rb and a developmental LT & C this year to be ready for the 2018 season. Just seemed to me a smarter play was to forget about 2017 and aim at that 2018 season

no one talks about adding a fs with that 4th rd pick..that kills me. They paid Penton $25000? as an udfa but he is a nickle..even if they move Joyner back to cb if Johnson hits he also is a nickle so why pay Penton? especially after signed Robey another nickle? 5 cb's were drafted right after we drafted Johnson..all good prospects and 2018 Rams might need 2 starting cb's I'm from Missouri and I'll watch how this plays out just it doesn't seem logical from where I'm sitting

Nico Siragusa made my top 60 list and might be a day one starter for the Ravens at center and he went after Reynolds A . BPA at a critical need position. Really didn't need Reynolds with so many wr's added last year. Give them a a year under McVay and see who develops

stop ragging on the Rams for awhile..do hope someone steps up and does a readable, useful camp report. Just saying when some 5th/udfa gets some 2nd team reps or a starter is moved down to the 2nd/3rd string is a big deal...sorry for my thoughts

Raminec
Veteran

Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:43 am

I disagree on many of your points.

How can you rank a head coach or even consider a ranking of a head coach before he coached a game? Stupid folly unless you're searching for a negative piece of information to post.

You think that 6th round picks or UDFA 's making a team or helping a team is a pipe dream and that there is no reason or history to believe they could contribute but the fact is that many successful teams have been fortunate to find a unexpected gem in the later rounds or UDFA's that become great players. Brady for one Richard Sherman,London Fletcher.

You are down on Goff I get that so you want to scrap the whole team and start all over again in a draft that you don't have a first round pick because of the Goff trade. Well first of all that may be the direction that ultimately becomes a reality but it just might have made more sense to give Goff a good LT and a few weapons and find out what you have got under the tutelage of a real NFL offensive coach with a real NFL offensive system before you completely panic and attempt another 5 year rebuild .

Lamp was a college tackle who is undersized and will be an NFL guard but he is not in the same league as Brandon Scheerf.

Based on your current negative Whining St Louis state of mind which is clearly skewed in hatred for the franchise owner because of the move I won't miss your assessment the least bit. I think you need to get therapy and move on. Your hate has made your assessment unreliable.

I'm not a sunshine pumper. I realize the Rams challenges. I'm just willing to give McVay a chance.

I am a Ram fan. I am not sure what Popular Bluffman is but I wish him well in his journey to find that out.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:22 am

poplarbluffman wrote:
yeah..Gurley is sort of a wild card...a healthy Whitworth, Sullivan and Gurley might make them a 8-8 team this year...still the problem doesn't go away...Rams needed to add a solid #2 rb and a developmental LT & C this year to be ready for the 2018 season. Just seemed to me a smarter play was to forget about 2017 and aim at that 2018 season

no one talks about adding a fs with that 4th rd pick..that kills me. They paid Penton $25000? as an udfa but he is a nickle..even if they move Joyner back to cb if Johnson hits he also is a nickle so why pay Penton? especially after signed Robey another nickle? 5 cb's were drafted right after we drafted Johnson..all good prospects and 2018 Rams might need 2 starting cb's I'm from Missouri and I'll watch how this plays out just it doesn't seem logical from where I'm sitting

Nico Siragusa made my top 60 list and might be a day one starter for the Ravens at center and he went after Reynolds A . BPA at a critical need position. Really didn't need Reynolds with so many wr's added last year. Give them a a year under McVay and see who develops

stop ragging on the Rams for awhile..do hope someone steps up and does a readable, useful camp report. Just saying when some 5th/udfa gets some 2nd team reps or a starter is moved down to the 2nd/3rd string is a big deal...sorry for my thoughts
Wow.. someone looked in the mirror.

I've got no aggressive retort because this is actually a *sane* and fair post with reasonable criticism.

There were too many things to try and fix in one offseason, imo. I think they did try to find a developmental Center in Eldenkramp.. and that's not unusual at all in this league.
There's a significant chance the Rams need 2 starting CBs in 18.. no one can deny that. I'm hopeful because Wade seemed to think they're not in terrible shape there.
As far as *developing* players.. .the single most important player to develop this year is Goff. They needed to get vets in to fix the LT and Center spots to try and evaluate Goff this year. Some line stability will help that. *If* Goff really is a franchise QB, the team will be able to focus on building the rest of the team moving forward. If not? They'll have to figure out what the hell to do at that position and be setback significantly... *again*.

3-24-16

Safety Blitz
Veteran

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:13 am

In McVay we trust. Rams will finish above .500 in 2017.

"In McVay We Trust!"

Wildflecken
Veteran

Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:39 am

poplarbluffman wrote:

One of my major issues with Snead's philosophy and draft history. He tends to overdraft a need and often in one draft class. The all oline draft, the all receiving targets draft just completed etc.. All but the most important position, qb. Why I was certain Rams would double down on qb's last draft. Then it appears he ignores the position once addressed in future classes. Think this results in severely limiting the number of prospects he/Rams evaluate and results in not finding true gems in draft.

I hated the OT class last draft so I wont knock him for not taking a developmental OT. Snead has done a great job in the UDFA market. Personally like Eldrenkamp and Penton a lot. Think Johnson plays safety and Rams maybe moving on from Joyner is the answer on why so many nickle types added. Think Penton can play outside and challenges Gaines for the role outside. Shame Gaines got injured, he was a cb who could take away half the field. Penton may develop into same, went unnoticed due to issues that developed at Mizzou.

Doubt you/we will find an unbiased camp report posted on forum. I bleed Rams colors as much as any poster on forum. But many just seem to take offense and go into attack mode when folks try to discuss the challenges ahead for the coaching staff. If every talent on roster played their position at the pro bowl level together with a team first mentality, the only thing to discuss would be the greatness of the organization and season ahead. Rams just are not there yet and the in season travel the owner demands of the roster by adding these overseas games are not helping the cause.

sanbagger
Veteran

Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:42 pm

Wildflecken wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:39 am
poplarbluffman wrote:

One of my major issues with Snead's philosophy and draft history. He tends to overdraft a need and often in one draft class. The all oline draft, the all receiving targets draft just completed etc.. All but the most important position, qb. Why I was certain Rams would double down on qb's last draft. Then it appears he ignores the position once addressed in future classes. Think this results in severely limiting the number of prospects he/Rams evaluate and results in not finding true gems in draft.

I hated the OT class last draft so I wont knock him for not taking a developmental OT. Snead has done a great job in the UDFA market. Personally like Eldrenkamp and Penton a lot. Think Johnson plays safety and Rams maybe moving on from Joyner is the answer on why so many nickle types added. Think Penton can play outside and challenges Gaines for the role outside. Shame Gaines got injured, he was a cb who could take away half the field. Penton may develop into same, went unnoticed due to issues that developed at Mizzou.

Doubt you/we will find an unbiased camp report posted on forum. I bleed Rams colors as much as any poster on forum. But many just seem to take offense and go into attack mode when folks try to discuss the challenges ahead for the coaching staff. If every talent on roster played their position at the pro bowl level together with a team first mentality, the only thing to discuss would be the greatness of the organization and season ahead. Rams just are not there yet and the in season travel the owner demands of the roster by adding these overseas games are not helping the cause.
He didn't say unbiased...you did. Hammers draft reports were never unbiased but they were effective...did you ever read any of them?

As he stated....a guy catching a TD in camp wasn't that big of a deal...what was something to notice was who was taking the majority of snaps with the 1's and who was dropping and who was rising...that can be unbiased.

poplarbluffman
Veteran

Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:17 am

crickets so far about #2 pick Gerald Everett..unlike Kupp

6'2 6 227 at senior bowl..bulked up to 239 at combine..did a historical search looking for 6'3 te's with similar 40 & short times...closest match was Lance Kendricks
6'2 7 242 ran a 4.57 38 vertical 4.15 20 short shuttle 6.94 3 cone
vs Everett
6'2 6 239 ran a 4.6 37 1/2 vertical, 4.33 short shuttle and 6.99 3 cone

Everett was slightly worse in almost all numbers but close...I had Everett a very late 2nd/3rd rd pick question is why not just resign Kendricks to be the H-back?

Weaknesses Route running doesn't appear to be high on his priority list. Routes are rounded, dull and lack urgency. Leans into most of his breaks. Talented cover safeties can jump his routes. Drifts on square-ins, allowing deep safeties a door into the play. Needs work on double moves. Could have issues playing through route redirection off line of scrimmage. Shows deceleration when locating ball on deep throws. Hands are small. Too many one-handed stab attempts on throws outside his frame limit ability to make the "wow" catches. Touchdown production lower than expected. nfl.com scouting report

when watching I don't see an explosive athlete out of his breaks..similar to the NFL.com statement also avg broad jump short times and under 6'3 must of really hated Jonnu Smith as a prospect 14 months younger, 9 lbs heavier and ran a faster short shuttle....who Rams could of drafted in 3rd

Ants
Veteran

Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:05 pm

See, that's where you fall short. You love to focus on "measurables" and stats.
Kendricks drops too many passes. Everette plays like it matters and fights for yards.
Me? I'd rather see how a guy plays on the field, rather than what he "looks like" in a magazine bio.
In other news...Can we just wait and see how he plays when it matters? :?

:idea: Let's win some games.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:11 pm

poplarbluffman wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:17 am
crickets so far about #2 pick Gerald Everett..unlike Kupp

6'2 6 227 at senior bowl..bulked up to 239 at combine..did a historical search looking for 6'3 te's with similar 40 & short times...closest match was Lance Kendricks
6'2 7 242 ran a 4.57 38 vertical 4.15 20 short shuttle 6.94 3 cone
vs Everett
6'2 6 239 ran a 4.6 37 1/2 vertical, 4.33 short shuttle and 6.99 3 cone

Everett was slightly worse in almost all numbers but close...I had Everett a very late 2nd/3rd rd pick question is why not just resign Kendricks to be the H-back?

Weaknesses Route running doesn't appear to be high on his priority list. Routes are rounded, dull and lack urgency. Leans into most of his breaks. Talented cover safeties can jump his routes. Drifts on square-ins, allowing deep safeties a door into the play. Needs work on double moves. Could have issues playing through route redirection off line of scrimmage. Shows deceleration when locating ball on deep throws. Hands are small. Too many one-handed stab attempts on throws outside his frame limit ability to make the "wow" catches. Touchdown production lower than expected. nfl.com scouting report

when watching I don't see an explosive athlete out of his breaks..similar to the NFL.com statement also avg broad jump short times and under 6'3 must of really hated Jonnu Smith as a prospect 14 months younger, 9 lbs heavier and ran a faster short shuttle....who Rams could of drafted in 3rd
You mean you didn't hear the reports of him tearing it up in practice yesterday?

Settle down princess... we all know TEs are notoriously slow starters in the NFL.
2nd most receptions last year was... 19 by a rookie TE.
Your scouting reports are accurate.. but, of course, don't include important info.
Also from nfl.com..

SOURCES TELL US "He's got all the tools. He could end up being one of the top pass catching tight ends in the league. There is question about whether he can handle a full playbook, but I think that is overblown. Cut him loose and let him make a bunch of plays." -- AFC area scout

3-24-16

poplarbluffman
Veteran

Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:48 am

same things they said about Kendricks...plus team captain/leader if I remember right you are your workout..avg short times for a under 6'3 makes him a Kendricks clone...Jonnu Smith and Kendricks are better athletes. Why not use a 3rd on Smith or simply resign Kendricks? Without a #1 that #2 became much important to the Rams.

See you are picking up the zn mantle..I made it a point to question the Kendrick pick when he was drafted and zn made dozens of posts defending him...or all the rest of the Rams players or coaches...following that same path I see. Is weird Rams used a #2 pick on both..deju vu? Not my problem Snead is a bad GM and picks below avg players like Devaney did before him.

You were the big JuJu fan pre draft...who would you personally want Higbee/Kendricks JuJu Schuster and Kupp, or Everett , Higbee and Kupp?

when Fisher was hired he let his best 3 receivers walk Amendola, Brandon Lloyd and Brandon Gibson.and .McVay let 3 starters Kendricks, Quick and Britt walk..looks familiar doesn't it? How did it work out for Fisher? GB snatched up Kendricks. Want to bet who has a better 2017 seaosn Kendricks or Everett? How about Everett vs Jonnu Smith over their careers?
Delanie Walker: Jonnu Smith will be better than me in time
Posted 15 days ago. via profootballtalk.com

After signing with the Titans in 2013, Delanie Walker has become arguably the best tight end in franchise history. He’s set franchise records and provided a consistent receiving options for the various Titans quarterbacks over that span.

However, Walker thinks Jonnu Smith, drafted in the third-round by Tennessee in May, will eventually be better than him for the franchise.

“One day he will be better than me,” Walker said of Smith, via Jason Wolf of the USA Today. “And that’s his ultimate goal. And if he didn’t feel that way, I wouldn’t want him here.”

If Walker’s proclamation is correct, Smith will have built quite a career for himself with the Titans. Walker holds single-season receiving records for Tennessee in both receptions and yards. In four years with the Titans, Walker has amassed 282 catches for 3,349 yards and 23 touchdowns. His best season came in 2015 with 94 catches for 1,088 yards and six touchdowns in Marcus Mariota’s rookie campaign.

It’s a high bar to clear. However, Walker has been impressed by what he’s seen so far.

“I think he’s a great guy,” Walker said. “I think he sits back, he don’t talk much, he learns. He’s respectful. If I ask him to do something, he does it.

“I think he’s going to go a long way and be a star in this league.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... e-in-time/

I do the draft and you are fanatic defending the Rams..we live in different worlds. In my world looking objectively Smith has more upside then Everett and I'd take Kendricks over Everett. I expect 10 players drafted after right after Everett to have better careers

Wildflecken
Veteran

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:00 pm

crazy-legs wrote:

After Day One of the draft was complete I was certain draft had fell Rams way and they would indeed shore up interior of line with Lamp, Feeney still on the board. Love what the Chargers did in this regard. Lets hope they did not overdraft Everett. While failure of last regime to make playoffs was tied to multiple factors, missing on so many high draft choices were probably the largest determining factor the regime failed.

Everett is an interesting case. It is fact the NY Giants who took Engram in round one, had serious interest in Everett. In fact it was reported they were considering Everett over Engram, but how factual this report was we may never find out. There interest however can be confirmed, but the question arises if Everett was a fall back plan in later round if Engram came off board prior to their selection being made in round 1? We will probably never find out ground truth here, however I am confident in McVay, he knows the type talent he seeks in a TE as much as the last regime knew they type talent they sought defensively to make their schemes a success. My faith lies in McVay's interest in the player

Don't want to intervene in the discussions above between Pop and Dick, however I do believe it is fair to question if Rams should of taken the strategy they did by signing short term solutions when they could of added younger talent in FA like Zeitler even if this move did not solve the LOT position in the short term. It is possible a strategy geared towards 2018 was a superior plan to the patchwork strategy followed this off season in FA. Zeitler is much younger and solves an interior line spot with an all pro OG for the next 8 to 10 seasons

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:26 pm

Hold on folks...

THE GUY WHO SAYS HE DOESN'T WATCH TAPE IS TELLING US HE'S WATCHING TAPE NOW.

Let's move on .

Lol

3-24-16

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:33 pm

<<Cracks knuckles..>>
poplarbluffman wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:48 am
same things they said about Kendricks...plus team captain/leader if I remember right you are your workout..avg short times for a under 6'3 makes him a Kendricks clone...Jonnu Smith and Kendricks are better athletes. Why not use a 3rd on Smith or simply resign Kendricks? Without a #1 that #2 became much important to the Rams.

I love Juju and wish him well. You said he had personal issues off the field. Are you ready to back those up? Or are you just going to throw shit out after shit?

Kendricks?
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Earlier this week, Bill Belichick described Lance Kendricks as a &quot;good clutch tight end.&quot;<br><br>Anyway, that&#39;s Jared Goff&#39;s second career INT. <a href="https://t.co/qu3GCbgNjv">pic.twitter.co ... </p>&mdash; Jack Wang (@thejackwang) <a href=" 4, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

His inconsistency and drops like this one make me completely fine with him moving on. His contract with the Rams absolutely was not worth it, so I'm fine with him being gone. Compare his production with Aaron to a rookie TE? Lol. I previously pointed out relevant stats on rookie TEs, maybe go learn something.
Smith? Hey.. you may have a point. I'm not going to bomb a kid I don't know that much about.. but scouts had issues with him and..
especially.. his drops.

See you are picking up the zn mantle..I made it a point to question the Kendrick pick when he was drafted and zn made dozens of posts defending him...or all the rest of the Rams players or coaches...following that same path I see. Is weird Rams used a #2 pick on both..deju vu? Not my problem Snead is a bad GM and picks below avg players like Devaney did before him.

I guess I'd have to ask if you think McVay has any idea of what he wants in a tight end... considering that was the position he coached before taking over that offense and using the tight ends that he had coached.

You were the big JuJu fan pre draft...who would you personally want Higbee/Kendricks JuJu Schuster and Kupp, or Everett , Higbee and Kupp?
Based on what Kendricks' price tag was, I'll take Everett, Higbee and Kupp.

when Fisher was hired he let his best 3 receivers walk Amendola, Brandon Lloyd and Brandon Gibson.and .McVay let 3 starters Kendricks, Quick and Britt walk..looks familiar doesn't it? How did it work out for Fisher? So.... we're now saying Fisher had any idea what he was doing on offense? Fascinating. GB snatched up Kendricks. Want to bet who has a better 2017 seaosn Kendricks or Everett? How about Everett vs Jonnu Smith over their careers?
Delanie Walker: Jonnu Smith will be better than me in time
Posted 15 days ago. via profootballtalk.com

The Everett vs Smith comp over career would be totally fair. I'll take Everett. It's interesting that Smith's behind Walker.. because Walker is my comp for Everett. Both thicker in the legs than Smith.. guys who look to carry more power. Maybe, maybe not.

After signing with the Titans in 2013, Delanie Walker has become arguably the best tight end in franchise history. He’s set franchise records and provided a consistent receiving options for the various Titans quarterbacks over that span.

However, Walker thinks Jonnu Smith, drafted in the third-round by Tennessee in May, will eventually be better than him for the franchise.

“One day he will be better than me,” Walker said of Smith, via Jason Wolf of the USA Today. “And that’s his ultimate goal. And if he didn’t feel that way, I wouldn’t want him here.”

If Walker’s proclamation is correct, Smith will have built quite a career for himself with the Titans. Walker holds single-season receiving records for Tennessee in both receptions and yards. In four years with the Titans, Walker has amassed 282 catches for 3,349 yards and 23 touchdowns. His best season came in 2015 with 94 catches for 1,088 yards and six touchdowns in Marcus Mariota’s rookie campaign.

It’s a high bar to clear. However, Walker has been impressed by what he’s seen so far.

“I think he’s a great guy,” Walker said. “I think he sits back, he don’t talk much, he learns. He’s respectful. If I ask him to do something, he does it.

“I think he’s going to go a long way and be a star in this league.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... e-in-time/

I do the draft and you are fanatic defending the Rams..we live in different worlds. In my world looking objectively Smith has more upside then Everett and I'd take Kendricks over Everett. I expect 10 players drafted after right after Everett to have better careers

You're a psycho fanatic dickhead in attacking the Rams. You called Kupp a white Jerry Rice before the Rams drafted him.. but have soured on him since. You're the one with a fucking problem, dude.
Ahhh.

3-24-16

LARAMSinFebruary
Starter

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:39 am

poplarbluffman wrote:

keep reading former 6th rd pick Mike Thomas will be great,
Yeah, so much for that.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:04 am

LARAMSinFebruary wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:39 am
poplarbluffman wrote:

keep reading former 6th rd pick Mike Thomas will be great,
Yeah, so much for that.
Really bummed about the PED suspension.
Not sure it means the end of him.
May mean Spruce or Marquez get an extended shot. Although both are more slot than wideout.

3-24-16