Gregg Robinson was an utter moron

General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Uplandram2

manipuraram
Starter

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:33 pm

I had great seats last year. Against the Dolphins the Rams had the ball late and a first down would have ended the game. Goff scrambled for 13 yards. He ran by a defender and was five yards past him, when Gregg Robinson pushed the defender in the back and flagged. They lost hte fist down and had to punt. The OLine coach went nuts. He called Robinson as "stupid Mo--fu--er" several time and when Robinson said something back the guy had to be restrained by two other coaches. In ohter fames where the rams were lsoing by four touchdowns to the Falcons, he was laughing it up on the sideline with his buddies. There is no excuse for snead drafting this guy. He was dumb, he was unmotivated and he was undisciplined. They should have known that about him before they threw away the second pick in the draft on him. I hope that McVay gets another GM.

crazy-legs
Veteran

Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:38 am

Some of us saw, pre-draft, he didn't have the lateral movement to handle the speed on the outside, he didn't engage his hands properly nor leverage his body properly. Was clear as day if you just looked past his size and focused on his skill level. Was a 4th\5th round pick...

I said the same thing about Jason Smith - pre-draft...

I also said the same thing about Goff (pre-draft I said he's a late 4th\5th round pick). Let's hope I got it wrong this time...

Really tells you how bad the Rams FO has been over the last 10 years when an arm chair GM can identify talent (or lack thereof) better than they can...

Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...

NN1Badboy
Veteran

Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:10 am

I’ll admit, I thought Robinson was going to be good, but he’s just too stupid to be good.

sanbagger
Veteran

Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:36 am

crazy-legs wrote:
Some of us saw, pre-draft, he didn't have the lateral movement to handle the speed on the outside, he didn't engage his hands properly nor leverage his body properly. Was clear as day if you just looked past his size and focused on his skill level. Was a 4th\5th round pick...

I also said the same thing about Goff (pre-draft I said he's a late 4th\5th round pick). Let's hope I got it wrong this time...

Really tells you how bad the Rams FO has been over the last 10 years when an arm chair GM can identify talent (or lack thereof) better than they can...
They certainly missed on the GRob pick....but then so did all the draft pundits. Every scouting report I read, and can find now, had GRob as one of the top guys in the draft. If, as you say, you had him as a 5th rounder then I would say good job to you as pretty much nobody agreed with that evaluation.

Have you ever missed on a pick? I have seen plenty of guys talk about "their picks" and I guess that's one of the allures of the draft...but it's a lot different when the clock is running and making the selection at that time rather than the next day. I have said to other armchair GM's to post their picks at the time the Rams are on the clock, that way it can't be changed, but none have taken that challenge yet....I realize it takes time but it can't be disputed.

max
Veteran

Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:52 pm

crazy-legs wrote:

The best GMs in the NFL are no better than 70% on first round picks.

So I like our odds of you being wrong on Goff. I don't see you getting all 3 right.

Wildflecken
Veteran

Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:08 am

crazy-legs wrote:

And you have never wavered on your position which is both admirable and should be respected by the other members of the forum. Many including myself hated the Robinson pick. Pajama warrior, game tape told a totally different story. Never draft a talent based solely on athletic performance at the combine.

On Goff I did waver, had him pre draft the one qb Rams should avoid. The abundant favorable opinions of Goff by some National analysts whose opinions I respect as well as a few on this forum to include Pop highlighted the footwork, pocket presence etc and I softened my stance. Pre combine, pre trade, my evaluation led me to the conclusion that playing qb at the NFL level was the moon to Goff, no evidence he could grasp the concepts of the position at the next level. No evidence he could display the footwork, pocket presence outside of an air raid system. While the system at Cal was not as simplified as the one at Baylor, it did have a one read flavor often.

Hoping we both got it wrong. Best case scenario is Olsen is able to bring him up to speed and he masters both pre and post snap reads and progressions. More importantly is able to do it in the allotted time at this level and it becomes second nature so the footwork and pocket presence traits shown in college return at this level. Goff played one good half of football last season in New Orleans. He does that on a weekly basis and this team is in good shape at the position for the foreseeable future.

D-GenerationX
Starter

Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:10 am

I didnt want Greg Robinson. But who I did want in that spot was Sammy Watkins.

It's rather impossible to say I was "right" considering how much of an injury bust Watkins has been.

sdram
Veteran

Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:40 am

The draft is always a crap shoot, and it does seem the Rams roll more than their fair share of snake eyes. Is it because they have bad management? That could be. It's easy to wait for someone to fail and then we brag about how we knew it all along. I think we've all done that at one time or other, but to keep bringing it up doesn't really do any good. By the time a player fails it's time to move on. Some here have planted their flag on Goff being a failure. The clock is ticking on that issue but I'm not ready to move on. I still hope to see Goff exhibit significant progress this year.

crazy-legs
Veteran

Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:02 am

sanbagger wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:36 am
crazy-legs wrote:

They certainly missed on the GRob pick....but then so did all the draft pundits....
Joyner...

I was watching the Combine and Polian was being interviewed when Joyner began working out. He turned his back on his workout and a reporter asked him why. He said he didn't want to fall in love wit the kid. Ask why he said because Joyner is limited in what he can do...

Otherwise the Rams saw him as a 2nd round talent. Polian didn't even want to look at him because he knew he was and is limited in what he can do...

So when I hear "every draft pundit" had him a top pick I don't buy it. Maybe the talking heads but not real football people. No way Ozzie in Baltimore had Goff #1 overall (I said pre-draft he was a late 4th\5th round talent - I bet that's where he was stacked on his board too). No way he had Robinson #2 overall. No way did he have Jason Smith #2 overall. Good GM's don't make those mistakes...

Go back and look at my breakdown between Goff and Wentz. I had Wentz beating him in every measurable. Folks here still say I got it wrong and point to this pundit and that pundit to back themselves up. Well who cares what the pundits say? Either you past the smell test or you don't...

Have I ever got a pick wrong? Very few picks in the first round. The NFL isn't rocket science. Can a DB turn his hips? Can a QB read a D? Does a OL engage his hands properly, leverage his body properly and and have the lateral movement to handle the speed? Those fundamentals never change. If a corner is 5 foot 9 then you know he's limited in what he can do. If an OL can't handle speed then good luck. It really amazes me how bad or how hard it is to find a good GM...

Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...

TBUX
Veteran

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:18 am

Crazy is so much BS- I can write a book now on him. He READ a review of GR 3 + years ago, and has parroted that same exact line ad nauseum for over 3 years now. I found the quote years ago and called him on it as he was trying to pawn it as his eval. He doesn't even know what it all means. Tell me how it was plain as day when NOBODY saw GR getting beat by speed rush in college, as they rarely passed the ball, and I don't recall any tape of him being beaten by speed rush. complete bs.
as far as Goff- he was Crazy's TOP QB at seasons end, then he READ about his hand size, and then and only then dropped him from his TOP GUY to his 5th.
He is clueless- he didn't even know what " stacking the box" meant. He parades on here like he is some great evaluator- when the dude doesn't even watch much college football. Believe him if you like- I have years knowing the guy is a fraud. He READS something he agrees with, and pawns it as his own- been doing it for years now. Tell me who has a guy as their top QB at seasons end with their own eyes, then drops them to a 5th rd talent after? laughable. Not without serious injury or off field issue- none of which Goff had. Believe this poser if you like- those on PD for all those years know the truth about CL.

therealheadslap75
Starter

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:04 am

Robinson pick was widely applauded, he had his weaknesses, in college he did get beat around the edge from time to time and got away with a ton of holding, but lets face it, he was pounding guys on a national championship winning team. He was getting to second level blocks, and just obliterated guys, especially when he had an angle.

He came into the nfl under the worst offensive coaches in nfl history. Yeah I said it, the jeff fisher rams set records for nfl offensive futility and coach boudreau was a big part of it.

He coached no one up ever. Robinson will be a good guard in the nfl and we will regret losing him

crazy-legs
Veteran

Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:45 pm

TBUX wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:18 am
Crazy is so much BS- I can write a book now on him. He READ a review of GR 3 + years ago, and has parroted that same exact line ad nauseum for over 3 years now. I found the quote years ago and called him on it as he was trying to pawn it as his eval. He doesn't even know what it all means. Tell me how it was plain as day when NOBODY saw GR getting beat by speed rush in college, as they rarely passed the ball, and I don't recall any tape of him being beaten by speed rush. complete bs.
as far as Goff- he was Crazy's TOP QB at seasons end, then he READ about his hand size, and then and only then dropped him from his TOP GUY to his 5th.
He is clueless- he didn't even know what " stacking the box" meant. He parades on here like he is some great evaluator- when the dude doesn't even watch much college football. Believe him if you like- I have years knowing the guy is a fraud. He READS something he agrees with, and pawns it as his own- been doing it for years now. Tell me who has a guy as their top QB at seasons end with their own eyes, then drops them to a 5th rd talent after? laughable. Not without serious injury or off field issue- none of which Goff had. Believe this poser if you like- those on PD for all those years know the truth about CL.
Really?

I was one of the few people who said he didn't engage his hands properly, didn't have the lateral movenement to handle the speed nor leverage his body properly. That is a fact. I said it before he was drafted and stood by it every since. You on the other hand told me pre-draft up until this past season how wrong I was yet...

I'm the one full of BS...

You have problems boss...

I said the same thing about Jason Smith, pre-draft, and you told me how wrong I was for 4 years...

Now we're onto Goff aren't we. Everything I said last year he'd struggle with was spot on. You on the other hand told me I was full of it...

FYI - I started my list with Goff 1st and by the time I was done looking at him I dropped him to 5th. Only you would start a draft board (Pre-Draft) and then leave it as is. I on the other hand (and anyone else worth a snot) has a flowing draft board with players moving up and down based on my evaluations. Try using my method for once. Maybe you'll eventually get a pick right...

Here's a suggestion for you. In the future try doing your own evaluations instead of listening to the talking heads. I do and it seems to work for me seeing how I've been spot on year after year. You on the other hand get it wrong year after year, attack those who don't agree with you, then you act like you were right all along and the only reason poster X got it right was because of (insert your BS here)...

Get one evaluation right and then I'll listen. Until then you're no better than the talking heads you obviously put so much stock in...

Commish
Veteran

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:46 pm

sdram wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:40 am
The draft is always a crap shoot, and it does seem the Rams roll more than their fair share of snake eyes. Is it because they have bad management? That could be. It's easy to wait for someone to fail and then we brag about how we knew it all along. I think we've all done that at one time or other, but to keep bringing it up doesn't really do any good. By the time a player fails it's time to move on. Some here have planted their flag on Goff being a failure. The clock is ticking on that issue but I'm not ready to move on. I still hope to see Goff exhibit significant progress this year.
Well, Greg Robinson was widely acclaimed as being a Top Five selection playing at LT back in the 2014 NFL draft, since given his run-oriented college performance his weaknesses at the pro level weren't obvious at the time, I'm figuring.

Generally, I'd venture that under Jeff Fisher's leadership our team drafted rather poorly on "O" but pretty solidly on "D," the pick I believe was the worst would be in taking Brian Quick at #33 overall (thus passing on Cordy Glenn) back in '12--that one never struck me as making any sense. (Had the Rams drafted Glenn back then, they obviously wouldn't have still been searching for a LT two years later, therefore they almost certainly wouldn't have drafted Robinson.)

Concerning Jared Goff, I'm certainly interested in viewing how he performs with sound offensive coaching and improved support on "O" under the McVay/La Fleur brain trust... 8-) :| :idea:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish

McCOY: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."