CBS Article On Goff

General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Uplandram2

CierraRam
Starter

Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:47 am

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/todd- ... no-reason/

First of all, as a writer you can't say Fisher is gone and then later say that coaching wasn't the problem; but a lack of talent was on offense. Even with what the Rams had last season, a better, modern scheme probably get's them a few more wins at least. Especially after watching All or Nothing, and then seeing the results as we all did last season; coaching across the board WAS in fact the number 1 problem with that team. Both sides of the ball IMO.

That said, in my mind; the biggest offensive key for this upcoming season is Cooper Kupp. If he can be anywhere near what Danny Amendola was in his, Kupp's Rookie year, then it changes everything toward the good for everyone else. That's a lot to ask...but I have this gut feeling that Kupp can actually pull it off. Obviously, the right side of the OL is a big key as well...but it's easier to scheme for that potential weakness if you have one or two of the wideouts getting separation on a given play.

I think scheme alone gives a Goff a big step forward. To the point of where he should have been at the end of last season I would venture as the progress he makes this season. Year 3 being the year of total realization of Goff's immense talent.

Ram Stien
Starter

Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:37 am

This sounds about right to me, looking for a big step forward from this offense.

Claremontram
Veteran

Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:32 pm

The right side of the Oline better hold up. Let's keep a TE on the right to help out. Maybe that's why we drafted a Fullback?

Goff needs about 3 seconds of uninterrupted focus down field.

Commish
Veteran

Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:32 pm

CierraRam wrote:

First of all, as a writer you can't say Fisher is gone and then later say that coaching wasn't the problem; but a lack of talent was on offense. Even with what the Rams had last season, a better, modern scheme probably get's them a few more wins at least.

I think scheme alone gives a Goff a big step forward. To the point of where he should have been at the end of last season I would venture as the progress he makes this season. Year 3 being the year of total realization of Goff's immense talent.
Agreed--AFAIC anyone who doesn't believe that coaching on "O" was our team's #1 deficiency last season, that person either has an agenda or wasn't watching the Rams all that closely.

I'm guessing that Todd Gurley, Jared Goff and even Tavon Austin have much more inherent ability than they demonstrated on the NFL gridiron last year, playing within the Fisher/Boras 1980s offensive style... :( :| 8-)

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish

McCOY: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

poplarbluffman
Veteran

Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:24 am

Commish wrote:
CierraRam wrote:

First of all, as a writer you can't say Fisher is gone and then later say that coaching wasn't the problem; but a lack of talent was on offense. Even with what the Rams had last season, a better, modern scheme probably get's them a few more wins at least.

Agreed--AFAIC anyone who doesn't believe that coaching on "O" was our team's #1 deficiency last season, that person either has an agenda or wasn't watching the Rams all that closely.

I'm guessing that Todd Gurley, Jared Goff and even Tavon Austin have much more inherent ability than they demonstrated on the NFL gridiron last year, playing within the Fisher/Boras 1980s offensive style... :( :| 8-)

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish
you lack the intelligence to judge anyone's motives..scary stupid post

analysts smarter then me say the problem on the Rams O went MUCH deeper then the coaching last year...fanatics routinely use scapegoats in their need to protect the team/players...very scary stuff

crazy-legs
Veteran

Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:14 am

It was a combination of both. Terrible coaching and a serious lack of talent...

Coaching changed - will it amount to anything? We have no clue but it can't get much worse than Fisher...

Talent - the biggest turd on O is gone (Robinson). But with that said I still think our OL is weak, we lack talent at WR and have Q marks at TE (just because they drafted him doesn't mean he'll shine his rookie year). We need 2 more drafts to shore up the talent on O...

Fisher squandered the RG3 trade and left us off no better than when he got here...
Last edited by crazy-legs on Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...

Commish
Veteran

Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:21 pm

poplarbluffman wrote:
you lack the intelligence to judge anyone's motives..
Really?

All it takes is the basic geographic knowledge that Poplar Bluff is in southeast Missouri to know what your motives are, after all... :) 8-) :idea:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish

McCOY: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

azramsfan93
Starter

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:34 pm

poplarbluffman wrote:

analysts smarter then me say the problem on the Rams O went MUCH deeper then the coaching last year...fanatics routinely use scapegoats in their need to protect the team/players...very scary stuff
Man, I get very busy for a few months - and then I come back to this stuff. This dolt can't learn.

Watch out for the black helicopters dude. The fanatics have enlisted the assistance of the Illuminati, or may the Tr-lateral commision, or maybe Opus Dei.....

Wow. Do you live in a cabin in the Ozarks?

CierraRam
Starter

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:47 pm

poplarbluffman wrote:
Commish wrote:
CierraRam wrote:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish

Hammer you are soooooo Bipolar that even meds can't help you...WOW...now that's truly scary. So, back to the matter at hand.. I never said the team didn't lack offensive talent. I merely said the scheme deployed by Fisher and the coaching staff probably cost them another 3-4 wins for the season. How many times did you, yourself say over the years that the coaching stinks on Fisher's staff? The inability of that coaching staff to build these players up that they drafted was alarmingly bad. So therefore the number one problem was the coaching staff and subsequently that fell onto the players. The Rookies especially have to be placed into a position to succeed, and that coaching staff didnt do that on the offensive side of the ball.

pmill66
Starter

Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:28 pm

poplarbluffman wrote:
Commish wrote:
CierraRam wrote:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish

FYI. An Analyst is a person who conducts analysis. You do not analyze anything.

Ants
Veteran

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:17 am

pmill66 wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:28 pm

FYI. An Analyst is a person who conducts analysis. You do not analyze anything.
Sure he does. I'm pretty sure he analyzes PFF stats - it's his hobby. :lol:

:idea: Let's win some games.

CierraRam
Starter

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:35 pm

Claremontram wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:32 pm
The right side of the Oline better hold up. Let's keep a TE on the right to help out. Maybe that's why we drafted a Fullback?

Goff needs about 3 seconds of uninterrupted focus down field.
I would think that they would deploy a TE over there to assist on the blocking. Im sure McVay probably has quite a few of what I call "Sucker Plays" where they pass the ball to that TE as well. I call it Sucker because after that TE actually blocks for a few or more plays, the LB or Nickel gets lazy in their coverage and overlook such a play, leaving that TE open to wide open. The fullback they drafted is quite a good receiver, very versatile so I think he gets used quite often in a variety of roles. From max protect to dump off's, to route running.

toast49
Veteran

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:52 pm

My personal opinion on Goff is that I believe he "will be" quite good. Having said that I think the Rams should redshirt him for a couple seasons ala Danny White. I thought the team should have signed Tony Romo to be the QB for one or two seasons while Goff just learned.

Dick84
Pro-bowler

Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:12 am

Whew... I was worried I was going to have to kick pop's ass.
You guys got it covered.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

69RamFan
Pro-bowler

Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:18 am

Dick84 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:12 am
Whew... I was worried I was going to have to kick pop's ass.
You guys got it covered.

Come on Dick, go a head and get you licks in,,,

I want to see if Poo poo, has a come back,,, :lol: :lol: :lol: