Raising Expectations 2017
    Safety Blitz
    Rookie

Raising Expectations 2017

by Safety Blitz » 11 Jul 2017, 08:34

I'm weary of the media's matter-of-fact dismissal of the Rams chances in 2017. Most say the Rams are a sub-500 team and the best we can hope for is some minor improvement at the QB position. Generally, they mock the talent level of the Rams and argue McVay's inexperience precludes any sane belief in the Rams ability to have a winning season.

First, our talent level isn't terrible. We have some up and comers and some proven studs.

I'm raising my expectations---Rams will compete for a playoff spot in 2017---10-6.
    "Peace, be still."
  • Hari rama
    Rookie

Re: Raising Expectations 2017

by Hari rama » 11 Jul 2017, 11:25

It's the sport's medias' job to keep stirring the pot, causing controversy, to keep interest high and in the public's consciousness. This is what they are paid to do. A sub .500 team is probably what we have in the Rams and I would have to stretch my neck to predict a 6 - 10 season. What we have to look at, of course, is not just what the Rams have done personnel-wise but what our opponents have done with theirs. Have they improved? Stood still? Declined? In what areas? Quite a few of you, I'm sure, have done the research on all the other teams that we will face this coming season and may have some answers. As I have stated before that on this forum I am the least knowledgeable of any of you when it comes to football, my experience confined to being a spectator.
  • crazy-legs
    Bench Warmer

by crazy-legs » 11 Jul 2017, 11:54

Here's how I'm hoping it plays out...

Gurley gets back on track and rips off at least ten 100 yard games...

Austin is finally used properly and ends up in the top 10 - 15 in TD's scored (returns, runs and catches)...

Goff takes a major leap...

The other receivers make a statement and we finally find our deep guy\speedster, someone who can go up and get it over top, a reliable slot guy etc. I think running a modern day O for the first time in 5 years will allow people to step up and play better than any of us thought...

The O-Line stays healthy and our young guys show they can handle the job...

Higbee stays on the field and reaches his potential. I think he could be an above average TE in this league...

Wade gets the D clicking and we end up in the top 10. If we cut down on how many 1st downs we gave up on 3rd down and reduce the # of big plays we probable shouldn't of given up we could have a really good D...

If we do all that we could be pushing someone for a playoff bid. A lot to ask but I think we have some really solid players we can build around and get this team headed in the right direction...
    Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...
  • Idaho_Ram
    Rookie

by Idaho_Ram » 11 Jul 2017, 12:57

I know this - I am so much more behind this coaching staff than the previous 5 seasons. I feel confident players are going to be coached up and held accountable on both sides of the ball, giving them a chance to see how good they can be. Coaching doesn't solve talent gaps, but it can sure help hide them, especially if your elite players are buying in and hitting their stride.

I'm more excited for the season than I have been for a while - not because I think they're a playoff team (though it's an outside possibility) but simply because I can get behind the direction they're going. LOVE McVay and think Grandpa Phillips will be a proven, knowledgeable breath of fresh air from Mr. F*** You.
  • pmill66
    Rookie

by pmill66 » 11 Jul 2017, 15:32

Fishers first year in 2012 was his best year, winning percentage wise. Sure hope that is not the case with the McVay era, but certainly would like to see 9-7 and in contention for a playoff spot. Talent is there on the D, hope in the new Offensive coaching staff to vastly improve the O from the worst in the NFL last season.
  • poplarbluffman
    Bench Warmer

by poplarbluffman » 12 Jul 2017, 03:06

when I go to ourlads and look all 32 teams depth charts would put the rams in bottom quarter in the league. do the same with pff and it comes up the same.

there is a chance, albeit small, that Sullivan and Whitworth have one good season left which might help the season record in 2017 but even that would be fools gold. Posters want to make McVay the savior but Garcon and DeSean Jackson played 2 years under McVay and had zero interest in signing with the Rams...Garcon signed with arguably the worst team in the NFL to be reunited with his old OC Shanahan not Mcvay..

not sure how many posters know the NFL well enough to take the ourlads challenge and look at all 32 teams and mentally place where the Rams rank but a sobering exercise.
  • Ants
    Bench Warmer

by Ants » 12 Jul 2017, 09:13

It was only a few years ago where some media members thought that the Rams would be a "sleeper" team.
    But I think that after the poor performances since then, they just assume that it's going to take a while for the Rams to get on track with young players and a new coach.
    Seems reasonable to me.
    :idea: Let's win some games.
    Safety Blitz
    Rookie

by Safety Blitz » 12 Jul 2017, 09:49

Never under-estimate the motivation factor. This team is rife with players who are at the put up or your gone stage of their careers. Gurley won't be the prima donna he was last season nor will Goff be the deer in the headlights rookie he was last year. Both took huge ego hits last season and will be going all-out from jump. Tavon is also under more pressure this season to prove that he's more than a gadget guy.

If the Rams start the season strong this season, expect them to be in the hunt. Early success will do much to inspire players to feed off each other's success.

I expect to see many big plays from the O. I think the D will create more turnovers. Wade mic'd up kept screaming at the players, "get the ball out! get the ball out! strip it!"

I'm on the record: Rams are my sleeper pick in the NFC to make the playoffs---oh. my!

Success is contagious. Just ask the Dodgers!
    "Peace, be still."
  • TBUX
    Bench Warmer

by TBUX » 13 Jul 2017, 13:56

All about the Oline IMO- they open lanes for Gurley and protect Goff- look out! that simple really.
    Safety Blitz
    Rookie

by Safety Blitz » 13 Jul 2017, 22:33

Yep, Tbux. Hope we pick someone up, a late cut to add another veteran on the OL.
    "Peace, be still."
  • Commish
    Rookie

by Commish » 13 Jul 2017, 22:38

If the Rams start the season strong this season, expect them to be in the hunt. Early success will do much to inspire players to feed off each other's success.
    Realistically, our team has to start out no worse than 2-1 in order to enjoy a respectable [8-8] season, I'm figuring... :) 8-) :idea:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish
    McCOY: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
    KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."
  • Wildflecken
    Bench Warmer

by Wildflecken » 14 Jul 2017, 06:48

Each season there is a surprise team that sneaks into the playoffs. How many seasons did analysts predict the team that does this would be the Rams during the Fisher regime? It never materialized. This season they are on virtually none of the national analysts radar (I think I have seen two that predict they will) and the number of analysts have grown by leaps and bounds the last five seasons as everyone looks to cash in on this industry.

The Rams are much better positioned to be the team that catches the league by surprise and sneaks into the playoffs than many currently believe (could win division outright). The analysts are shying away from them for one reason, a first time HC. We all know the impact changing regimes have on both sides of the ball when established coaches are hired, it is usually season two when they start playing well in the new system. The Rams have changed not only regimes but have hired a HC with no prior Head Coaching experience. This is why so many analysts are shying away from favorable 2017 predictions for the Rams. The play of Goff in 2016 certainly has played its part as well.

However it is my belief (and I am on an island here, even diehard fans like Dick refuse to make a favorable prediction for the Rams this upcoming season) the Rams will sneak into the playoffs. McVay's offensive design is the missing piece of the puzzle. The Rams 2015 defense was playoff worthy. They played their best football when facing the leagues top offenses on their schedule that season. And they did this with virtually no help from the offensive side of the ball in the majority of the contests. Who were the 2016 Rams? The team that began 3 and 1 or the team that finished 4 and 12? We know what the final record states but how much did the relocation impact the performance? My take, considerably. And the offense took a step back from 2015 even during the games they did win. Once the league had film on Keenum another Austin Davis was born. Arm strength was the issue and opposing defenses shortened the field allowing them to not only defend the air attack, but to also allow them to completely shut down the running game. A complete and utter disaster, maybe the worse offensive showing I have ever seen in many, many seasons of watching the greatest game ever invented.

Yes the Rams have changed the defensive coordinator and are no longer employing the defensive schemes so successful under Greg Williams, but they hired one of the very, very few defensive coordinators who run a scheme superior to GW's. The track record of this coordinator in his first season of taking over a defense is very, very good. Nearly every defense improved in season one under Philips. The missing piece has always been the offense. And this dilemma was addressed by hiring the coordinator with maybe the best offensive scheme in the entire league as the HC. And this HC will be hands on with the offense, a workaholic with the youth and energy to do both for a team with one of the worst travel schedules in the entire league. His youth will serve him well. It will not be the negative factor the analysts currently believe.

The qb is far from proven, the skill positions are very young and the offensive line was redone with a patchwork mentality. The HC does have his challenges working with a front office whose philosophies and decisions have been often debated. But this HC will succeed of that I am certain. He will find a way. He works to tirelessly to fail. The wildcard is Goff. He must develop for success in the 2017 season. He must grow enough to keep opposing defenses honest. Honest enough for Gurley to get to the second level often. Arm strength is not an issue with this qb. No the problem is reads and protections, well at least understanding them. This is Olsen's specialty. Teaching young qb's how to do this at the NFL level. Goff will in no way resemble the qb we saw in 2016. Will he decipher a defense like the greatest ever does in NE? No he will not. But he will decipher a defense to a level acceptable. A level that provides the defense the assistance they have needed since 2014 for this team to make the playoffs. They may experience an early exit and this playoff game may not be played at home, but yes I am predicting the 2017 LA Rams will make the playoffs.

Go Rams!