A Team From LA Will Make The Playoffs In 2017
  • Wildflecken
    Bench Warmer

A Team From LA Will Make The Playoffs In 2017

by Wildflecken » 15 Jul 2017, 03:56

At least one team from the LA Market will make the playoffs in 2017. Will it be the Rams or Chargers? I made a post on another thread that predicts the Rams will surprise the NFL this season and will make the playoffs. But I do love what the Chargers did this off season. Both teams hired new Head Coaches who made a name for themselves on the offensive side of the football. And I love the designs of both offense's. I would of been fine with the Rams hiring both coaches. The following comment is in no way a knock on Sean McVay's offense as I would give a slight edge to McVay's offensive design over Lynn's. However Lynn is inheriting an established, pro bowl level qb who needed more help from his running attack. And Lynn added two dynamic run blockers in this past draft in Lamp and Feeney, two players I though for certain the Rams would target this past draft after seeing the results of day one of the draft when it was complete.

Lynn had one of the best running attack's in the entire league last season. What he doesn't have in LA is Shady McCoy. Both Lamp and Feeney will be in their rookie seasons. They may get schooled by the vets on the opposing side of the ball occasionally in pass pro. They have a lot to learn regarding pass protection at this level. Thats why Lynn will let them take the attack to the defenders season one. I expect a heavy dose of running plays called, even with Rivers behind Center. They will be balanced and both Lamp and Feeney should love this, Offensive lineman love when they can take the attack to the defender and both should show the league why they were drafted so high. Gordon will love running behind this line, the best he will have to date since he entered the league. The defense will also benefit from a more heavy dose of the running attack offensively, a defense that added Bosa last draft.

I an know thinking I hope two teams from LA make the playoffs in 2017.

GO RAMS
    CierraRam
    Rookie

Re: A Team From LA Will Make The Playoffs In 2017

by CierraRam » 15 Jul 2017, 07:08

The Chargers are always kinda perplexing to me. A team that always seems dogged by key offensive injuries and a familiar inability to fix a leaky offensive line. On paper year in and year out they always seemed to have enough talent to be a playoff contender. But they not only failed, but usually failed badly. So beside their OL I would have to say that quality depth was the true demise of those Charger teams over the years.

On that note I have to say that I do not like the salary cap limits of both the NFL and the NHL. I believe they should be much higher. For the NFL, I think Free Agency should be tweaked as well. It starts at the same time. My choice of system would be that the F/A player can negotiate with any team, but the original team has matching rights for that player for two weeks. With a much higher cap the chances of retaining a player for the original team is much higher IMO. That would eliminate a lot of depth problems on these teams, make each team more competitive week in and week out and provide a better experience for the fans. It also gives the players the money that they deserve. Granted, the NBA and MLB play a lot more games. But the player salaries are ridiculous and their sports are far less physical than the NHL and the NFL. And the NHL does play 82 games that are nearly as physical as the NFL!!

As for the Rams. I like McVay. I like him a lot. I like the fact that he seems to be in the middle of teaching what he wants. I like the fact that he also knows defensive assignments per the quote that Aaron Donald made. He seems to provide nothing but positive energy to the players. And you'd be surprised what a change of attitude does toward better anything in life, by itself. I am a bit concerned that McVay seemed to steer away from the running game that Shanahan had as the OC there in Washington. So I am wondering if McVay has a little of Mike Martz's pass happy tendency. It's fun to watch, but certainly isnt always practical. For me something to watch for. On the defensive side of the ball we all know Phillip's track record. SO the key to that in my eye's is Robert Quinn ability to become a force once again. If they can get the pass rush back than the Secondary issue's can be masked. I am not sold that Trujo is a Island kind of CB. I am more certain that Joyner will make a fine Safety. maybe a Pro Bowl caliber one. So Corner is a worry for me on Defense. Cooper Kupp playing up to a Danny Amendola level as a Rookie to me is the key for the Offense along with the Right side OL. If both prove to be true and better...then the offense can be a great at ball control. If not..... So I like the Chargers chances of making the playoffs better than the Rams. Mainly because of the noted Ram problems. I think the Rams have more legitimate if's. But I hope you're right...both LA teams make it.
    69RamFan
    Bench Warmer

by 69RamFan » 15 Jul 2017, 08:03

I say the RAMs have a better outlook for the future because they are in a division that's on the down side, 49ers rebuilding, Cards aging, same for the Hags.

As for the Chargers, they are aging, where the Raiders are on the upside, KC hasn't lost a step and Denver is a QB away.
  • Wildflecken
    Bench Warmer

by Wildflecken » 15 Jul 2017, 09:51

The Chargers are always kinda perplexing to me. A team that always seems dogged by key offensive injuries and a familiar inability to fix a leaky offensive line. On paper year in and year out they always seemed to have enough talent to be a playoff contender. But they not only failed, but usually failed badly. So beside their OL I would have to say that quality depth was the true demise of those Charger teams over the years.

On that note I have to say that I do not like the salary cap limits of both the NFL and the NHL. I believe they should be much higher. For the NFL, I think Free Agency should be tweaked as well. It starts at the same time. My choice of system would be that the F/A player can negotiate with any team, but the original team has matching rights for that player for two weeks. With a much higher cap the chances of retaining a player for the original team is much higher IMO. That would eliminate a lot of depth problems on these teams, make each team more competitive week in and week out and provide a better experience for the fans. It also gives the players the money that they deserve. Granted, the NBA and MLB play a lot more games. But the player salaries are ridiculous and their sports are far less physical than the NHL and the NFL. And the NHL does play 82 games that are nearly as physical as the NFL!!

As for the Rams. I like McVay. I like him a lot. I like the fact that he seems to be in the middle of teaching what he wants. I like the fact that he also knows defensive assignments per the quote that Aaron Donald made. He seems to provide nothing but positive energy to the players. And you'd be surprised what a change of attitude does toward better anything in life, by itself. I am a bit concerned that McVay seemed to steer away from the running game that Shanahan had as the OC there in Washington. So I am wondering if McVay has a little of Mike Martz's pass happy tendency. It's fun to watch, but certainly isnt always practical. For me something to watch for. On the defensive side of the ball we all know Phillip's track record. SO the key to that in my eye's is Robert Quinn ability to become a force once again. If they can get the pass rush back than the Secondary issue's can be masked. I am not sold that Trujo is a Island kind of CB. I am more certain that Joyner will make a fine Safety. maybe a Pro Bowl caliber one. So Corner is a worry for me on Defense. Cooper Kupp playing up to a Danny Amendola level as a Rookie to me is the key for the Offense along with the Right side OL. If both prove to be true and better...then the offense can be a great at ball control. If not..... So I like the Chargers chances of making the playoffs better than the Rams. Mainly because of the noted Ram problems. I think the Rams have more legitimate if's. But I hope you're right...both LA teams make it.
    When McVay was the OC in WA they transitioned to Bill C as the running game coordinator and oline coach and installed power gap, a system better suited to Gurley and Rams than the Shanahan run stretch which they tried last season without success (yes they did not have a coach who knew how to instruct it properly or who had success running it prior but we all know offensive coaching all around was huge issue)

Lynn has a dynamic running design as well and it is a power gap approach as well, although with Shady they did incorporate some zone concepts (McVay will as well)
    UtahRam
    Rookie

by UtahRam » 15 Jul 2017, 22:51

I can't see the RAMS making the playoffs this year. I think they'll improve over their 2-14 record but winning 10 games or so doesn't sound realistic to me at all. I think the O-line will still suck and Goff will get shell shocked. I can't imagine Gurley having a season worse then last year but I see the offense still struggling to score points. I'm anxious to see how Phillips will handle the D.
    sdram
    Bench Warmer

by sdram » 16 Jul 2017, 18:38

I can't see the RAMS making the playoffs this year. I think they'll improve over their 2-14 record but winning 10 games or so doesn't sound realistic to me at all. I think the O-line will still suck and Goff will get shell shocked. I can't imagine Gurley having a season worse then last year but I see the offense still struggling to score points. I'm anxious to see how Phillips will handle the D.
    Hey Utah. I know it seemed like they were 2-14, but our beloved heroes actually won 4 (and blew about 4 other leads in games a well coached team would have won.) I hope I made you feel better. Cheers! :lol:
  • Commish
    Rookie

by Commish » 16 Jul 2017, 20:03

Ahhhh, I could envision the Chargers possibly bypassing the Broncos in the AFC West this year, but not the Raiders or Chiefs.

I'm currently figuring on both Los Angeles teams finishing at 7-9 or 8-8 this season... ;) 8-) :idea:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish
    McCOY: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
    KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."
    NN1Badboy
    Rookie

by NN1Badboy » 17 Jul 2017, 08:48

Wildflecken, I always like your posts. And I really hope you are right and the Rams shock the world. But I think the two teams in the NFL that have made huge strides the past two seasons are the Titans, and the Chargers.

I would love to have the Chargers last two drafts. Someone upstairs is doing an incredible job. They are going to be a force in the next couple of years, if not this year. I think the same can be said about the Titans. Man did they rob us with the Goff trade.

Everyone was laughing about how bad we got on over on the Redskins in the RGIII trade, and then several years later we turn around and make the same mistake. Now, don’t get me wrong. Goff may be the next great QB in the league, but if I had been the GM, I would have used those picks we gave away to beef up the receiving corps and the offensive line and then drafted Deshaun Watson this year.

I’ve posted many times that I thought he was going to be a great one, and I still believe that. If we don’t make the playoffs soon then I think it just goes to show, that by not planning ahead and finding a QB to groom, we have really set ourselves back for years in trading all the way up for the #1 pick last year. I may be wrong, but that’s my thoughts.
  • Commish
    Rookie

by Commish » 17 Jul 2017, 13:18

If we don’t make the playoffs soon then I think it just goes to show, that by not planning ahead and finding a QB to groom, we have really set ourselves back for years in trading all the way up for the #1 pick last year.
    Ummmm, wasn't Jared Goff the young QB that our team decided to acquire and groom for the future?

While I disapproved of the trade to draft him myself, I can understand the principle involved.

Perhaps the guy won't develop into a solid NFL signal-caller, but the general concept strikes me as valid even though I didn't care for its particular execution.

However, that's apparently the current cost to 'trade up' for a projected "franchise QB," while neither H.G. Wells nor Doctor Emmett Brown appear to be available right now... :) 8-) :idea:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish
    Last edited by Commish on 22 Jul 2017, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
    McCOY: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
    KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."
    NN1Badboy
    Rookie

by NN1Badboy » 21 Jul 2017, 07:44

If we don’t make the playoffs soon then I think it just goes to show, that by not planning ahead and finding a QB to groom, we have really set ourselves back for years in trading all the way up for the #1 pick last year.
    Ummmm, wasn't Jared Goff the young QB that our team decided to acquire and groom for the future?

While I disapproved of the trade to draft him itself, I can understand the principle involved.

Perhaps the guy won't develop into a solid NFL signal-caller, but the general concept strikes me as valid even though I didn't care for its particular execution.

However, that's apparently the current cost to 'trade up' for a projected "franchise QB," while neither H.G. Wells nor Doctor Emmett Brown appear to be available right now... :) 8-) :idea:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish
    Yes, I think he was. But I think he was taken out of desperation. What i’m talking about is the way the Packers and Patriots have both done it. If you have a solid QB and you draft one to groom, if he beats out the old guy (Rodgers) then you let the old guy (Favre) go. If the old guy (Brady) is still playing at a high caliber, then you something big to offer (Garappolo) on the trade market.

Since we haven’t had a good QB since Kurt Warner (Bulger was not that good), we have never had options like this. That’s what I meant by planning ahead. We should start looking in the next couple of years to draft someone decent to push Goff. If Goff sputters then we have a plan B. IF Goff takes his game to the next level then we have a really good backup, or we have trade bait.
  • Wildflecken
    Bench Warmer

by Wildflecken » 21 Jul 2017, 16:27

While I disapproved of the trade to draft him itself, I can understand the principle involved.

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish
    Yes, I think he was. But I think he was taken out of desperation. What i’m talking about is the way the Packers and Patriots have both done it. If you have a solid QB and you draft one to groom, if he beats out the old guy (Rodgers) then you let the old guy (Favre) go. If the old guy (Brady) is still playing at a high caliber, then you something big to offer (Garappolo) on the trade market.

Since we haven’t had a good QB since Kurt Warner (Bulger was not that good), we have never had options like this. That’s what I meant by planning ahead. We should start looking in the next couple of years to draft someone decent to push Goff. If Goff sputters then we have a plan B. IF Goff takes his game to the next level then we have a really good backup, or we have trade bait.
    rational, logical thinking. Ever consider applying for the opening in the Front Office Demoff alluded to back in January? The position Snead or Sneads replacement will report to?