Trade Grade from Walter Football

General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Uplandram2

Ram Man
Starter

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:27 am

Rams acquire WR Sammy Watkins, 6th-round pick from Bills for CB E.J. Gaines, 2nd-round pick

Wow, where did this come from!? Jordan Matthews was rumored to be available via trade, but not Sammy Watkins. Buffalo's star receiver was outstanding in last night's preseason game versus the Vikings, appearing healthy for the first time in a while. The Bills apparently didn't care, dealing him to the Rams for an exchange of draft picks and cornerback E.J. Gaines.

I suppose this is a sign that the Bills are tanking. Aside from LeSean McCoy, Watkins was the only proven play-maker they had on offense. Zay Jones is a mere rookie, while Anquan Boldin is on his last legs. They acquired Jordan Matthews, but he's a mediocre talent. Watkins, when healthy, gave the Bills a legitimate downfield threat, but they don't have that anymore unless Jones proves himself as a rookie.

I can't give the Bills a good grade for this trade. Gaines has some promise, but he struggled immensely last year because he was injured. He could rebound - he was halfway decent as a rookie in 2014, but then missed all of 2015 - but that's not something the Bills can count on. Getting a second-round pick for their sixth isn't enough. This is a solid move if the Bills plan to tank, but if that's the case, why did they re-sign Tyrod Taylor?

As for the Rams, this was an outstanding move for them. They lacked a No. 1 wideout - Robert Woods and Tavon Austin were battling for that distinction - but now Jared Goof has a lethal target at his disposal. Sure, Watkins has injury concerns, but he's absolutely worth it based on what the Rams gave up for him. Going from a second to a sixth and trading Gaines is not a big deal if it means adding a Pro Bowl talent. The Rams won this trade by a long shot.

Grade for Rams - A+
Grade for Bills - D

http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php

Ants
Veteran

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:16 pm

That's a nice read. 8-)

:idea: Let's win some games.

RamBill
Hall of Famer

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:42 pm

Winners and losers from Bills, Rams, Eagles mega trades

Bill Barnwell

Just when you thought the biggest story of the weekend might be the Ezekiel Elliott suspension, the Bills decided to flip their roster overnight with a pair of out-of-nowhere trades.

Buffalo's new regime of Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane inherited a roster that appeared to top out short of the playoffs, so it's no surprise they've spent most of the offseason trying to undo deposed general manager Doug Whaley's mistakes. The Bills repeatedly traded down during the 2017 draft, grabbing an extra 2018 first-round pick from the Chiefs from their troubles, before firing Whaley the day after the draft.

On Friday, they added to their haul by acquiring a pair of 2018 picks as part of deals with the Eagles and Rams. Those trades amount to the following:

Buffalo Bills get: WR Jordan Matthews, CB E.J. Gaines, Rams' 2018 second-round pick, Eagles' 2018 third-round pick

Philadelphia Eagles get: CB Ronald Darby

Los Angeles Rams get: WR Sammy Watkins, Bills' 2018 sixth-round pick

The dust is still settling, but at first glance, let's run through the winners and losers from these three deals:

Winner

Jared Goff

As the Rams try to build some sort of offensive infrastructure for the 2016 first overall pick, it's hard to imagine them acquiring a better receiver to work with than Watkins, who averaged 80.5 receiving yards per game while healthy in 2015, good for what would be nearly 1,300 receiving yards over a 16-game campaign. While Watkins hasn't lived up to the draft-day trade that saw the Bills trade two first-round picks to move up and acquire him ahead of Mike Evans and Odell Beckham Jr. during the 2014 draft, injuries have been the problem, not talent.

Loser

Sammy Watkins

This was always going to be a huge season for Watkins, who was set to hit unrestricted free agency after the Bills declined to pick up the fifth-year option on his rookie deal for 2018. Last year was a lost season for the Clemson product, given that the Bills repeatedly pushed Watkins onto the field with a clear foot injury before Watkins finally underwent what ended up as two surgeries on his left foot. It seemed likely that the Bills would part company with Watkins after the year regardless of what happened.

It's hard to see how Watkins will be in a better situation for either his short- or long-term future. After being traded to the Rams, who gave up a starting cornerback and a high pick to acquire Watkins, Watkins is likely looking at the franchise tag if he breaks out in 2017. It's not clear that would have been the case in Buffalo, and the tag will cost him millions of dollars versus what he could get on the free market.

He's also now set to play out his contract year with Goff, who was one of the worst quarterbacks in recent memory during his debut season, as opposed to the criminally underrated Tyrod Taylor. Goff should be better during his second season, especially with the arrival of Sean McVay from Washington as coach, but there's a chance Watkins is relying on a replacement-level quarterback to make him millions of dollars.

Read Complete Article
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2031 ... nald-darby

Rams News Now!
All the Rams News of the Day
http://www.rams-news.com

RamBill
Hall of Famer

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:45 pm

So who got the best of the Bills, Rams and Eagles trades?

Posted by Michael David Smith

The two biggest trades so far this preseason happened simultaneously today, as the Bills announced a trade with the Rams and a related trade with the Eagles. So who got the best end of the deal?

To recap, here’s what each team ends up with after the two trades:

Bills get: The Rams’ second-round draft pick, the Eagles’ third-round draft pick, cornerback E.J. Gaines and receiver Jordan Matthews.

Rams get: The Bills’ sixth-round draft pick and receiver Sammy Watkins.

Eagles get: cornerback Ronald Darby.

For the Bills, this move was about acquiring draft picks for the future: The new regime has already decided to move on from Watkins, the prize pick of the old regime. So they decided to move on from Watkins a year early and get a second-round draft pick. They also picked up a third-round draft pick for Darby.

For the Rams, this was all about Watkins: They want to give young quarterback Jared Goff another weapon, and now they’ve done so.

Read Complete Article
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... es-trades/

RamBill
Hall of Famer

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:54 pm

How will Sammy Watkins impact the Rams’ offense? –Video

How will Sammy Watkins impact the Rams’ offense? Rams reporter Alden Gonzalez breaks down how the team’s offense will look after acquiring WR Sammy Wakins. (1:10)

Watch Gonzalez Talk Watkins/Rams

RamBill
Hall of Famer

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:28 pm

Three Things to Know about Sammy Watkins

By Myles Simmons

Wide receiver Sammy Watkins is the centerpiece of a deal that brings experience and explosive-play ability to the Rams’ offense. Here are three things to know about the newest target for quarterback Jared Goff.

1) No. 1 ability

There’s a reason why Watkins was selected with the No. 4 overall pick in the 2014 draft, and that’s his potential to be a true top-flight wide receiver.

At 6-foot-1 and 211 pounds, he has the size. Running a 4.43 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine showed he has the speed. And his performance with the Bills has provided examples of production.

Watkins played 29 games over his first two seasons, and in that time averaged 62 receptions for 1,014 yards with eight touchdowns in each year. While he missed three games due to injury in 2015, Watkins still had an outstanding year, making 60 receptions for 1,047 yards with nine touchdowns.

Displaying his big-play capability, Watkins finished No. 3 with seven receptions of at least 40 yards, and he had 18 receptions of at least 20 yards. He also ended the year No. 6 in yards per reception at 17.5.

Those are explosive numbers — the kind that would bring some much-needed juice to the Rams’ offense.

2) How’s his health?

Watkins missed eight games in 2016 due to a foot injury. While he initially had surgery on the foot in the spring of that year, he hadn’t quite fully recovered and went on injured reserve early in the season. The Bills designated him to return, and he came off the list for their last six games. But Watkins’ production was not at the level it had been for his first two seasons.

The wide receiver then elected to have another surgery during the offseason in order to correct the problem. And through a couple weeks of training camp and his first preseason game, Watkins is beginning to look like himself again.

In Thursday’s preseason matchup against the Vikings, Watkins caught four passes for 39 yards on five targets. The Bills targeted Watkins on their first three offensive plays, and the wide receiver caught all three passes.

“This was the best I've ever felt," Watkins said following Thursday’s game, via NYup.com. "Practice was grinding. Today, I was free. I was just out there running my routes, having fun, just looking to get the ball. I wasn't pressing or anything. I was just trying to score honestly."

Read Complete Article
http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/ ... d38b77564c

RamBill
Hall of Famer

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:36 pm

Sammy Watkins Gets a Fresh Start in L.A., as the Bills Tear It All Down

The star receiver will have a chance to flourish with the young Rams, while the new regime in Buffalo continues to show they’re fully invested in building for the future

JENNY VRENTAS

Three years ago, the Buffalo Bills gave up a king’s ransom in order to draft Sammy Watkins. Then-general manager Doug Whaley traded an additional first-round pick and a fourth-rounder to move up five slots to secure the receiver.

Now, after just 37 games in a Bills uniform, Watkins’ run in Buffalo is over. In a pair of surprising trades on Friday, the Bills sent Watkins and a 2018 sixth-rounder to the Rams in exchange for cornerback E.J. Gaines and a 2018 second-rounder; they also traded cornerback Ronald Darby to the Eagles in exchange for receiver Jordan Matthews and a 2018 third-rounder.

In a nutshell: The trades are just two more examples of first-year head coach Sean McDermott moving to clear players from previous regime and shape the roster in his vision.

Since he was hired, McDermott has carried more power than is often standard for a first-time head coach, a sign that the organization is throwing its faith behind him to turn things around and break a 17-year playoff drought.

Watkins was the most dangerous offensive weapon for quarterback Tyrod Taylor. He’s a unique talent, but injuries have limited his productivity through his first three seasons. He’s played a full 16-game season just once, as a rookie, and has just one 1,000-yard season, in 2015. Those injuries were, McDermott said earlier this camp, the only reason the organization decided this offseason not to pick up the fifth-year option on Watkins’ rookie contract.

The trade comes as a shock—Watkins was the most purely talented player on Buffalo’s roster, and obviously more valuable than Gaines, a starter for the Rams who struggled in his return from the Lisfranc injury that cost him all of 2015, and most likely whomever they choose with that second-round pick. But it reflects McDermott taking the long view more than past regimes did. If he thinks that they won’t end up signing Watkins to a long-term contract after this season, then by trading him now, he recoups some value for the player.

Earlier this month, Bills GM Brandon Beane hedged when asked what his timeline might be for addressing Watkins’ expiring rookie deal.

Read Complete Article
https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/08/11/samm ... ium=social

Rams News Now!

RamBill
Hall of Famer

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:45 pm

Rams News Now!

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:56 pm

Add to the grade... the Rams opened up about a million in cap space.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

RamBill
Hall of Famer

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:34 pm

Rams acquire receiver Sammy Watkins in a trade for cornerback E.J. Gaines

By Gary Klein and Lindsey Thiry

The Rams also gave up a second-round pick in the 2018 draft and acquired a sixth-round pick in the 2018 draft in the deal.

Watkins, 24, was the fourth overall pick in the 2014 draft after playing in college at Clemson.

He caught 65 passes and scored six touchdowns as a rookie, and had 60 catches and nine touchdowns in 2015.

"He is going to help add some depth to that receiver room," coach Sean McVay said during a charity luncheon Friday, adding, "We want to make sure we are using the width and depth of the field in the pass game and a player like Sammy Watkins definitely gives you the ability to do that."

“Sammy has proven he can be a productive player and an explosive receiver in this league, we look forward to having him in a Rams uniform,” Rams general manager Les Snead said in a statement. “We want to thank E.J. for all he has contributed to our organization since we drafted him in 2014.”

Last season, because of a foot injury, Watkins was limited to eight games. He caught 28 passes, two for touchdowns.

Watkins is coming off January foot surgery. He will earn $3.1 million this season in the final year of his rookie contract.

Read Complete Article
http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-s ... story.html

Ramsfan08ny
Starter

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:42 pm

I love the trade and addition of Watkins. What I don't understand is the reason of getting Walter Football involved? I give no credibility of respect to any publication that continues to intentionally insult a player by means of his name (Jared Goff). 100% unprofessional, and uncalled for. For some reason, especially around draft time, some fans think that Walter Football is the gift of all football knowledge. Total clowns if you ask me.

SoCalRam78
Veteran

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:58 pm

Ramsfan08ny wrote:
I love the trade and addition of Watkins. What I don't understand is the reason of getting Walter Football involved? I give no credibility of respect to any publication that continues to intentionally insult a player by means of his name (Jared Goff). 100% unprofessional, and uncalled for. For some reason, especially around draft time, some fans think that Walter Football is the gift of all football knowledge. Total clowns if you ask me.
Walter football idiot is a clown. And this Bill Barnwell guy loves to bash the Rams any chance he gets. I'm sorry, Barnwell places way too much value on a second round pick. He also calls Gaines a starter, but he was our fourth corner and a free agent to be. Also, he says the WR depth is crazy in free agency next year, when most of those guys he mentions like Hopkins will not even hit the open market, like Hopkins.

Fan since 80s

ram_attack
Starter

Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:13 pm

SoCalRam78 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:58 pm
Ramsfan08ny wrote:
Walter football idiot is a clown. And this Bill Barnwell guy loves to bash the Rams any chance he gets. I'm sorry, Barnwell places way too much value on a second round pick. He also calls Gaines a starter, but he was our fourth corner and a free agent to be. Also, he says the WR depth is crazy in free agency next year, when most of those guys he mentions like Hopkins will not even hit the open market, like Hopkins.
Absolutely in total agreement with you. I read that line about him and at 1st wondered if it was a typo. Once I realized it was intentional...... like you stated, lost ALL credibility!

la ramsfan jsj
Starter

Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:42 am

Oh look, Mike Lombardi is trashing a Rams move. Never seen that before. :roll:

crazy-legs
Veteran

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:26 am

Talent wise etc. no question the Rams won the trade by a mile but...

If we miss the playoffs and Watkins walks after this season it was all for naught and we're out of a 2nd round pick...

I would of liked to seen Watkins re-up for a couple years as part of the trade...

Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...