Immediate Post Game Analysis Week 3

General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Uplandram2

Wildflecken
Veteran

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:41 pm

1.) Wow what a ride. Certain McVay is happy with the victory but knows he has some issues to address before the team suits up for the next one. We should be discussing how an ever impressive offensive output led team to cruise to an easy, up by 3 scores victory. Instead another week filled with errors, this time on special teams, that kept not only the opponent in the game, but nearly led to what would of been a most disheartening loss.

2.) First the good. Goff grew up tonight. Made some veteran savvy throws and decisions. I am tough on qb evaluations, I expect perfection, Goff damn near achieved it tonight. He was that good. His best was saved for his throw to Watkins, and I will point to one that was not even a completion, Goff identified Watkins working the back line of the end zone, caught the defender in the act of the crime and made the throw that drew the penalty. That's the type of play the Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady's of the NFL make folks. Goff is in game 3 of season two. So criticize the few plays under duress in which he reverted to the 2016 Goff if you like, but my take those plays merely highlight he has not yet reached his ceiling, his pinnacle so to speak. Scary just how good this kid might become.

3.) The receiving corp. Goff never has the performance he does tonight without the upgrades made here. The offense as a whole grew tonight, expanding to the outside wr's and becoming an offense that will give the opposing defensive coordinator's nightmares when the Rams are on the schedule. Everett was banged up and therefore a non factor by design, Kupp mainly a decoy. No tonight was about showing the league that Woods and Watkins have arrived.

4.) Gurley, Gurley, Gurley. The chants of 2015 are being relived. The 2016 Gurley is a distant memory. His trajectory is back on course. A trajectory that gives the National Analysts something to ponder on who exactly is the best back in this league.

5.) Anyone else happy the Rams went McVay over Shanahan?

6.) Did anyone actually believe a Shanahan coached offense would not have a break out after not putting up a td for two weeks in a row? Ok the defense is not yet where Wade wants it to be and yes they will work on defending the run taking advantage of the extra time allotted now that they have played on the short week,. But the defense stepped up huge when needed tonight. How great was the NE defense in the Super Bowl after getting shredded for 3 quarters?
These type games happen folks, the defense was there when needed. And they were put in some horrific situations by the most alarming aspect tonight, another week of miscues and stupidity.

7.) The miscues, mental errors and ball security has to be addressed and in a hurry. But McVay has this roster playing as a team. That's the single most important factor. The miscues will be addressed, of that I am certain. They fix it as a team.

One game smarter after tonight. Sticking with my playoff July prediction. Go Rams!!

bigklein
Starter

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:11 pm

Great post! Woods really turned things around from last game, and how cool was it to see Goff and the coaching staff have so much faith in him from the start? Also good to see the o-line improve, even after Sullivan got hurt. So glad they will have a few extra days to work on the return game and the defense.

HellRam
Veteran

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:15 pm

Agree with much of what you said. Lots to like on offense.

The defense...yeah I'm worried how much they are going to be able to fix it under this current scheme. There is a big difference between Willams and Wade's D's. The current peronnel just don't match, half the Rams D players are misfits and hybrids, we're defitnely not playing to strengths. I'm sure they will tighten some stuff up, but expecting a top 10 D might be a reach at this point.

Commish
Veteran

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:17 pm

bigklein wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:11 pm
Great post! Woods really turned things around from last game, and how cool was it to see Goff and the coaching staff have so much faith in him from the start? Also good to see the o-line improve, even after Sullivan got hurt. So glad they will have a few extra days to work on the return game and the defense.
Not to mention trying to somehow get reasonably healthy as well.

Will our team be 'semi-crippled' heading toward Dallas in under ten days' time, I'm wondering... :? :shock: :?:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish

McCOY: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

CierraRam
Starter

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:26 pm

HellRam wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:15 pm
Agree with much of what you said. Lots to like on offense.

The defense...yeah I'm worried how much they are going to be able to fix it under this current scheme. There is a big difference between Willams and Wade's D's. The current peronnel just don't match, half the Rams D players are misfits and hybrids, we're defitnely not playing to strengths. I'm sure they will tighten some stuff up, but expecting a top 10 D might be a reach at this point.
While not trying to make excuses for the defense the past two games...they are playing without half of their backfield. The most troublesome aspect for me remains Ogletree and Barron in the middle. And Robert Quinn hasnt really showed up since week one either. SO... at this point to me it's a combination of injury and miscast players for this type of defense. Who this defense is I dont know... Is it a near top ten...or the Saints?

Wildflecken
Veteran

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:08 am

Thanks for the replies. Some great points made. Big miscue on my behalf not including offensive line. The game is still won or lost in the trenches and despite the upgrades in receiving talent, the offense would not be taking the steps they are without the oline's improvement. Hoping Sully's injury is short term. Blythe performed better than I anticipated, but their was a noticeable difference in the push generated in red zone once Sullivan went down. Rams took 3 and then went double slant to Watkins.

Not all of the issues in defending the run are related to Barron and Tree merely being undersized. Teams are taking the attack to them, as they do both struggle some in shedding a block. However did you catch Barron shoot the gap and clobber Hyde in red zone? Takes a man to execute that play. The Dline is adjusting to Wade's one gap and the disruption needed on running plays is not where it needs to be. It is the Dline's job to ensure the offensive lineman are not getting to our second level and taking out the lb's.

Look this defensive line was very successful under Waufle. Despite that success they had issues with defending the run in the first quarter of season. Labor agreement and restrictions in camp play a huge role. 1st quarter of season now yesteryears preseason. Playoff teams win with a different philosophy in 1st quarter of season than they do October and beyond. If they have not improved in shutting down the run come October, then I start to panic. For now, patience is a virtue. The muscle memory adapting to Wade's design is not yet where it needs to be.

Wade has options to address it and address it he will. Cowboys up next and certain slowing Elliot will be priority number one. Watch that one with one eye tuned to dline on run downs. Think you will see a noticeable difference in their approach?

Never have fully understood the abundance of fans not taking a liking to Barron. He is a warrior and is a sideline to sideline talent. There is a reason the opposing offense is keying on getting a olineman to second level on him early. Dline has to disrupt it

Ram Man
Starter

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:19 am

CierraRam wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:26 pm
Who this defense is I dont know... Is it a near top ten...or the Saints?
The Rams have officially become the Redskins--a very good offense without a defense.

Ants
Veteran

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:21 am

Wildflecken wrote:
...His best was saved for his throw to Watkins, and I will point to one that was not even a completion, Goff identified Watkins working the back line of the end zone, caught the defender in the act of the crime and made the throw that drew the penalty.
I would also like to add another play that might have been his "best" that wasn't a completion, either:
Remember the bullet he threw to Higbee in the first half? About 15 yards down the seem going towards the end zone and Higbee just couldn't haul it in. Wow, that was a nice play. He had it, juggled it, and it fell incomplete!
HIGBEE!!!! You HAVE TO catch that ball!!!

:idea: Let's win some games.

bigklein
Starter

Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:00 am

Higbee's reliability as a receiver has been very troubling. As his blocking has improved, his hands have declined a bit, certainly compared to college. Hopefully the complete package will come together, and maybe Carrier's presence will help. Just imagine a healthy Everett and full-on Higbee going tag team in this offense. Wow.

Skyhook
Starter

Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:26 am

After the Watkins move I predicted 12-4 and everybody scoffed. They do have a rough schedule from this point on but I'll make one more quick prediction....if the top offensive studs stay relatively healthy for the entire season....and if the O line is intact,....if they beat Seattle in two weeks, they will win this division....

They may not go 12-4, but 10-6 seems almost a certainty if Goff plays like this the rest of the season.

I don't think there's any question that this team hasn't even shown what it will eventually become.

The D will get better no doudt
The offensive line will probably continue to build chemistry and get better the more snaps they have as a unit.

Watkins hasn't scratched the surface yet, Jared, I'm guessing will continue to get better and better and when you compare where he is currently after 10 career starts, there are maybe 5 qbs in NFL history that had overall nd

EDIT.....fuck Android phones and what crap they for typing anything remotely long. Of course some ghost will always hit send way before you're ready.

Fuck it. I'm not even gonna fix the post above and get it to make some kind of sense.

Whoever designed these pieces of shit should be visited by nurse Ratchet and maybe she can help the moron out.

And I have an elitebook work station that sits uncharged collecting dust.

And whoever it was that thought 4G was fast is comparing it to a 28 k dialup system. 56 K is faster it seemed
Last edited by Skyhook on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

:R

Wildflecken
Veteran

Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:33 am

bigklein wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:00 am
Higbee's reliability as a receiver has been very troubling. As his blocking has improved, his hands have declined a bit, certainly compared to college. Hopefully the complete package will come together, and maybe Carrier's presence will help. Just imagine a healthy Everett and full-on Higbee going tag team in this offense. Wow.
McVay will certainly want to be able to have the confidence of designing a game plan that relies heavily on the dual TE threat. There will be an opponent on the schedule in which heavy utilization of the TE's will be the best way to exploit their weaknesses. However identifying it being the best option and actually going forward with it during your week of preparation will require McVay to have the confidence in his positional unit to be successful executing the scheme on game day.

Ramsfan08ny
Starter

Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Ants wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:21 am
Wildflecken wrote:
...His best was saved for his throw to Watkins, and I will point to one that was not even a completion, Goff identified Watkins working the back line of the end zone, caught the defender in the act of the crime and made the throw that drew the penalty.
I would also like to add another play that might have been his "best" that wasn't a completion, either:
Remember the bullet he threw to Higbee in the first half? About 15 yards down the seem going towards the end zone and Higbee just couldn't haul it in. Wow, that was a nice play. He had it, juggled it, and it fell incomplete!
HIGBEE!!!! You HAVE TO catch that ball!!!
I watched that play 3 or 4 times. The way I saw it was that the DB made a great play on it. Higbee had it and then the DB slashed down on his hands to use it loose. I wouldn't call it a drop.

bigklein
Starter

Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:59 pm

Absolutely. He did not juggle it, but he still should have been able to secure it. Goff hit him in stride, in a very tight window, leading him right into a TD.

Ram Stien
Starter

Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:58 pm

I really believe if they stay healthy this defense will steadily improve and be much better as the season progresses. Currently I am more concerned with Quinn's ability to hold the edge.