Jets Call-Here’s Why It Was Wrong.

General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
99rams
Veteran

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:15 am

Having reviewed the Patriots/Jets touchback call I can say without doubt (short of a rule change I’m unaware of) the NFL blew the call. The rules state a ball carrier must possess the ball while crossing the plane before he goes out of bounds. If the ball crossing the plane by itself and IN itself constituted a touchback this would negate all plays where lose balls went into the endzone and were recovered by the offense (see Rams/Raiders preseason Kupp TD) or defense. You can’t advance a fumble forward but the ball was loose momentarily and the receiver clearly regained full control prior to hitting the pylon OR going out of bounds. His leg and foot were blocked from the sideline by a Patriot DB so you can only look at full possession and crossing the pylon in play. Terrible reversal of a TD. Another Patriot gift. This one may rhyme with the “Tuck” Rule. lol

Rammer
Veteran

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:21 am

I agree the call was bad but I'm thinking the nfl needs to change the rule itself . It makes no sense to me.. Fumble out of the end zone and maybe backup up the fumbling team 20 yards back to the opponents 20 yard line. They shouldn't lose possession.

99rams
Veteran

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:50 am

The bottom line is, the NFL could not claim the loose ball touchback rule because the ball carrier clearly had possession. They overturned it on the ball NOT being in possession when he went OOB. If his foot went out at the one, OK but he went OOB with control at the pylon. They simply blew the call. Otherwise, Kupp or any other player could retreive loose ball once it “crossed” the plane unpossessed. All loose balls would be dead (touchback) at the point the crossed. We’re not talking rolling out the back or side of the end zone.

Rampager66
Pro-bowler

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:34 pm

Saw Fox replay expert Mike Pierara (sp) say today that it was a terrible call. Once again we see the Patriots benefit from a flat out rigged up situation. They are never on the wrong side of these Bogus shenanigans.

Ram Man
Starter

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:19 am

The call was wrong because the referee "assumed" he would have fumbled it anyway.

And the touchback rule is the absolute worst rule in the NFL. I even tweeted Tony Dungy about it (who I believe is still on the competition committee but he didn't respond). AT MOST....if you fumble the ball out of the endzone, your team should get the ball at after a 15-yard penalty and loss of down. You CAN NOT just reward the defense with a fumble recovery PLUS give them an additional 20 yards. I swear guys, if I wasn't such a Ram diehard, I'd also be done with this league for good.

VIRGINIARAM68
Starter

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:14 pm

Worst call ever.

Idaho_Ram
Starter

Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:47 pm

Ram Man wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:19 am

And the touchback rule is the absolute worst rule in the NFL. I even tweeted Tony Dungy about it (who I believe is still on the competition committee but he didn't respond). AT MOST....if you fumble the ball out of the endzone, your team should get the ball at after a 15-yard penalty and loss of down. You CAN NOT just reward the defense with a fumble recovery PLUS give them an additional 20 yards. I swear guys, if I wasn't such a Ram diehard, I'd also be done with this league for good.
100% agree with you and Rammer. I was going off to a friend just last week about this. If you fumble it 1 foot back, it's your ball on the 1 foot line. If you fumble it over the pylon...it's the OPPONENTS ball at the 20??? Makes no plausible sense at all. Why can't it just be the offenses ball back at the spot where the ball carrier lost possession? Isn't that the rule anywhere else along the sideline when it's fumbled forward out of bounds. Amazingly dumb rule.