Week 14 - Eagles vs Rams - A preview of the NFC Championship

General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Uplandram2

harley01
Starter

Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:46 pm

Crazy...maybe not!

Packers minus Rodgers - nope (prolly the best NFC team)
Falcons - just lost to the phins
Seahawks - we can beat them
Vikings - Keenum = nope
Cowboys - outta sync...no Zeke for 6

Redskins - certainly a challenge

The AFC teams scare me more. Why not us....kinda like 99.

clevelandrams
Veteran

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:28 am

ummmm nope.not this year anyway

Rammer
Veteran

Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:45 am

Hmm, forgot about Carolina. I'm thinking they are the second best team in the NFL right now.

Anyway, Rams are in a pretty good spot right now. They look legit. There is no reason to think they cannot at least be in the mix but they have to keep getting better. It is going to get more intense as the season progresses and the Rams have to keep improving. As always, a few teams are going to emerge out of the early season fog --- Besides the eagles, we got Atlanta, Carolina, Dallas, Seattle, Minnesota, Redskins , New Orleans, maybe Tampa Bay, Arizona and green bay by the end of the year.. Anyone of those teams could get their act together and become very difficult to deal with come playoff time.

Ramit85
Starter

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:31 am

Rams have to get their offense fixed before they'll be able to contend for anything other than a playoff birth. Yes, they've scored more points than anyone, but the offense sputters in the red zone and struggles against good defenses. Their best receiver has a hard time getting open, and they have a hard time making a yard or two on third and short. There is something wrong with this offense and I don't see improvement week to week.

The defense is improving and I believe will be championship quality by the end of the season.

Ram Man
Starter

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:00 am

Come on, man. It's week 6.

Gurley/Goff are just as susceptible to injury as Rodgers was and you have no clue where the Rams will have to play in the one or two playoff games heading into an NFC Championship. The Rams would likely be a 6th seed if the playoffs started next week....and their first game would be IN Seattle. And IF they won that game, their next game would be in Philadelphia so there's no way they could even meet in the Championship game if that happened.

There's really no way to even come up with conference seeds right now anyway since the Rams have played one more game than a few teams. So if you added a win to the current 3-2 teams (you can't just "assume" a loss) then that would make the current seeds as follows:

1. Eagles (5-1)
2. Vikings (4-2, best conference tiebreaker)
3. Seahawks (3-2, assuming 4-2 and get tiebreaker)
4. NFC South (all would be 4-2, Saints only team with a win vs. division)
5. Redskins (3-2, also have tiebreaker vs Rams)
6. Rams (4-2)

So yeah....if this is the order they'd finish after the season, the Rams aren't winning three straight on the road in the playoffs lol. But since it's only Week 7, let's wait a while before we start crowning them the second-best team in the conference ;)

Ram Man
Starter

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:08 am

Not to mention... the Rams' remaining schedule isn't exactly a cake walk and there are maybe only three "gimme's" on it, if there is even such a thing as a gimme:

Two vs Cardinals (split)
@ NYG (who just beat Denver in Mile High)
Houston (not a gimme)
@ Minnesota
New Orleans (W?)
@ AZ
Philly
@ Seattle
@ Tennessee
SF (W)

D-GenerationX
Starter

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:17 am

If they simply make the playoffs, it's a great year.

Don't get greedy.

TBUX
Veteran

Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:32 am

We are one of the teams in the mix- usually it comes down to who gets hot the last 4 or 5 games going into the playoffs- if that is us, we certainly have a shot. Not one team in the NFC is unbeatable to me. We can compete with any of them. So to me, whoever gets hot out of the teams mentioned will represent the NFC. We have a shot IMO. We have showed glimpses of what we are capable of- we put it all together at right time- we can be the one, no doubt.

sanbagger
Veteran

Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:03 am

D-GenerationX wrote:

Don't get greedy.
exactly...that would exceed my expectations for the year.

UK Rams Fan
Starter

Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:05 am

What a story that would be though... Goff v's Wentz for the NFC Championship. Boy oh boy, who would ever have thought!!

Rampager66
Pro-bowler

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:06 am

D-GenerationX wrote:

Don't get greedy.
Agreed, I never had them making the playoffs before the season started predicting 8-8 at the very best.
Our new Coach will once again be matching wits with a solid NFL coach in Bruce Arians. It didn't go so well vs Pete Carroll and the Hags so we'll see how he does this time..
There's a few other quality coach's still on the sched as well and the fact remains that it's our guy that's the one who needs to prove himself. So far he's done a good job and I hope it continues that way. :|

Kindablue
Veteran

Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:17 am

Ramit85 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:31 am
Rams have to get their offense fixed before they'll be able to contend for anything other than a playoff birth. Yes, they've scored more points than anyone, but the offense sputters in the red zone and struggles against good defenses. Their best receiver has a hard time getting open, and they have a hard time making a yard or two on third and short. There is something wrong with this offense and I don't see improvement week to week.

The defense is improving and I believe will be championship quality by the end of the season.
Agree.
Wentz has made the offense his own.
Goff is just another one of 11 guys on the field at present.
It seems that his role has diminished a bit the last few games.
Pitch and catch no read plays.

The Rams improvement is all due to better coaching.
I know that some on here get very upset when you say something bad about Fisher, at least they did last season, but he was awful IMO.

If Goff becomes the weapon that Wentz has then the sky is the limit.
Right now it's about limiting turn overs. McVay has done that very well.
If most of the scoring keeps coming from sources other than the offense it will be a hard road to go.

sdram
Veteran

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:40 am

I think Goff has played well the past couple of weeks against really good Ds. He plays within himself and executes McVay’s offense. The key to winning games is not turning the ball over and Goff has been excellent there except when he’s hit or has passes deflected. He’s making smart decisions and not forcing the ball into int’s. Wentz has a better o-line and better receivers (imho) who are bigger and fight for the ball. Wentz will try to make plays that aren’t there and some are highlight worthy but some are boneheaded. Wentz also thinks he can take on linebackers which makes him look tough, but he’s going to end up getting hurt like Andrew Luck.

harkin
Veteran

Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:27 am

Ram Man wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:00 am
Come on, man. It's week 6.
Truly.

If the Rams are looking ahead to the Eagles, they'll lose quite a few games in the meantime.

Beat the freaking Cards!!!

NN1Badboy
Veteran

Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:55 am

While i am optimistic, I have to say it’s a little early for this kind of talk right now. Could it happen? Sure. But there are a lot of things that “Could” happen between now and then.