Zach Miller almost losses a leg and nothing from the peanut gallery?

General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Uplandram2

Robocop
Veteran

Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:19 pm

- I waited a few days to post this cus I didn't see it anywhere else. Apologies if I missed it but a man almost loses his leg and life in a football game and not a single fan in horns has a comment. For shame. Prayers with Zach

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2122 ... njured-leg
http://es.pn/2yVZA7h.

Zach Miller to remain in hospital after emergency vascular surgery

2:51 AM ET
ESPN.com
Chicago Bears tight end Zach Miller will remain in a New Orleans hospital after undergoing emergency surgery Sunday to repair a damaged artery in his left leg.

The Bears announced Monday that vascular surgeons at University Medical Center New Orleans stabilized Miller's injury, which was diagnosed as a torn popliteal artery.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Bears' Freeman 'sorry' after 10-game PED ban
The NFL has suspended injured Chicago Bears linebacker Jerrell Freeman 10 games for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing drugs.

Bears need TE Adam Shaheen to step up in Zach Miller's absence
Second-round draft picks are expected to contribute immediately. Adam Shaheen has just one catch in eight games. That has to change in a hurry.
A source told ESPN's Chris Mortensen later Monday that the artery was found "shredded from above the knee joint to below the knee" by the vascular surgeons, who diagnosed Miller's injury as lateral subluxation. There is also orthopedic damage to the knee, the source said.

The surgeons praised Bears team doctor Mark Bowen for quickly identifying the vascular problem by checking Miller's dropping pulse.

According to the source, surgeons used a saphenous vein graft procedure of surgery to revascularize Miller's leg.

League and team sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen earlier Monday that surgeons had been working to save Miller's leg, although it was not clear whether amputation was ever considered.

"I think that's always a concern," coach John Fox said when asked about amputation. "Our medical people did a great job as far as getting him there; they realized the problem immediately.

"Obviously, with any kind of vascular issue, you don't want altitude, you don't want people flying around. He'll have to remain still there for some time. He won't be coming back to Chicago any time real soon."

"I didn't really want to believe it. I couldn't believe it," Bears receiver Tre McBride said about a potential amputation. "I didn't realize that that was even a possible consequence of having a dislocated knee.

"Obviously you wouldn't want that to happen to anybody, especially somebody who I personally have kind of leaned on since I've been here as an older vet and a role model. But I'm glad that he's doing well and I'm sending him all the positive energy that I can, and I hope that he's back 100 percent soon."

Miller underwent an MRI on Monday as doctors evaluated the blood flow and overall anatomy of his leg, sources told Mortensen. The Bears announced that team medical personnel also will remain with Miller at UMC.

Miller dislocated his knee in the third quarter of Sunday's loss to the New Orleans Saints. Surgeons were called in to repair Miller's leg, which included grafting tissue from the other leg to repair the damaged artery, sources told Mortensen.

Miller had made an over-the-shoulder catch on a throw from rookie quarterback Mitchell Trubisky in the end zone, but when he landed his left leg bent awkwardly.

Sensing the serious nature of the injury, Bears medical personnel rushed onto the field to assist Miller, who stayed down for several minutes before being taken off the field on a cart.

Officials later ruled that Miller did not maintain possession of the ball, negating a potential touchdown catch.

Fox said Miller was in good spirits, and "pretty much wanted his touchdown back."

Miller was not "out of the woods by any stretch," Fox said, "but it's as good as could be expected at this point."

ESPN's Jeff Dickerson contributed to this report.

99rams
Veteran

Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:36 pm

I thought it had to be another Zach Miller. Did he convert to TE? Horrible injury. One of the worst and I can’t believe he MADE the catch and they did not give it to him. Over officious jerks. First they can’t get the calls right. Then they get really good and NY can’t get it right. In the hospital he still wanted his TD back. All the best Zach!

bigklein
Starter

Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:18 pm

Zach Miller shredded the Rams two seasons ago, and there were rumors last year that the Rams were interested in him as a Jared Cook replacement. That was a horrible injury, maybe as horrifying as Gordon Hayward’s recent ankle blowout. I blew out my ACL almost thirty years ago and still hear the pop. It’s so hard to look at and write about these brutal dislocations...

NorCal RF
Veteran

Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:28 pm

What is there to say other then the obvious. Can't imagine anyone would say anything other than a horrible injury and everyone offers prayers for a full recovery.

Robocop
Veteran

Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:38 pm

NorCal RF wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:28 pm
What is there to say other then the obvious. Can't imagine anyone would say anything other than a horrible injury and everyone offers prayers for a full recovery.
When a football player almost losses a leg and nobody mentions it on a football forum then I figured I would after a few days to at least inform others that might not follow everything NFL. All I was doing

RadRacerRams
Starter

Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:08 pm

Sorry for Zach But I didn't even know he got hurt......., I've been a Rams fan my whole Life......., but I don't go to ever other teams sites all the time to see what's going on .... Plus you've got all the Dodgers fans including myself watching the World Series..... Go Dodgers and Rams.....

Rampager66
Pro-bowler

Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:19 pm

Hope he's Ok but hey, they know the risks going in. Tough luck for Bears fans. I root for the Rams and am just glad it ain't one of our guys.
He gets paid extraordinarily well and if this ends his career he will be generously compensated.

Ramsfan08ny
Veteran

Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:01 am

Same kind of injury that the rookie rb for NE had years back playing in the rookie flag football game on the beach at the probowl. His career was basically over after that. Edwards I believe was his name.

Ants
Veteran

Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:30 am

I didn't know he was in such trouble. I figured he just had a "typical" football injury like a bruise or ACL tear.

:idea: Let's win some games.

Rammer
Veteran

Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:52 am

I feel bad for the guy. It seems like a horrible injury, possibly career ending.. It's certainly something that could be discussed but why the big shock that it hasn't been posted on a Rams Board.?

First, It's Da Bears, a team that is flying under the radar right now. Second, someone saying that you almost lost your leg is no where near the same as actually losing your leg. Third, as bad as this injury is - in the end, it is a leg - not a spine, a neck or his brain.

Robocop
Veteran

Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:59 am

Rammer wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:52 am
I feel bad for the guy. It seems like a horrible injury, possibly career ending.. It's certainly something that could be discussed but why the big shock that it hasn't been posted on a Rams Board.?

First, It's Da Bears, a team that is flying under the radar right now. Second, someone saying that you almost lost your leg is no where near the same as actually losing your leg. Third, as bad as this injury is - in the end, it is a leg - not a spine, a neck or his brain.
Simply surprised when something as serious as this happens in the league and we don't post about it but if someone does something stupid in the media or on the field it immediately gets posted. Guess we all see things differently

NorCal RF
Veteran

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:48 am

I actually went on the Chicago Tribune twice on Monday to get an update on him. My bet is I wasn't the only one. But why it needed to be discussed on this board when we all would again basically said the same thing well IMO it didn't. Not discussing such doesn't mean we don't care and certainly doesn't mean we should be called out, mind you just a little bit, as we should be a "shame".

Clovis
Veteran

Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:47 am

I barely make time to keep up with RAMS news. Pardon me if I don't follow other teams much or even NFL news. I will admit I have yet to see Carson Wentz play.

If a person doesn't support a cause, it doesn't mean he's against it. Maybe he's busy with something else.