Fisher should/may get some Credit

General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Uplandram2

99rams
Veteran

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:26 am

Yes the NEW Rams have scored more points in 8 games than Fisher ball scored in 16, two years running. Yes Fisher dragged this team down and hired his pals on and off the field.

Yes McVay overhauled a LOT of the roster and brought in the right talent to make an immediate impact but because it happened in one year and Fisher had the last say on talent, he may get some credit. He built this Oline, drafted the D stars and was responsible for Gurley, Goff & Donald being Rams. McVay is looking like a genius but he had the building blocks thanks to (yikes) Fisher. Fisher was 50/50 on his drafts but the ones he hit are looking like future HOF right now.

This D will also improve having to go from an attacking front 7 where the DBs played 10 yards off to a 3/4 requiring much more discipline, read and react. Fisher never saw the big picture but he did lay the groundwork for who this team.

Rammer
Veteran

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:57 am

ugh. . The guy knew how to build a defense, so I will give him credit for that. To me, though, the fact that the Rams are doing so well offensively, proves that the talent was here and the coaching wasn't, Remember that constant debate we used to have? is it the players or the coaching? I think now we know. The problem was the coaching more than the talent level.

Claremontram
Veteran

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:10 am

Fisher laid the foundation for the defense. The offensive scheme was hopeless. The offensive coaches were clueless. And Fisher was responsible for that.

If he ever comes back, he needs to hand the offense over to someone else.

Dumping Robinson and getting Whitworth was a major game changer.

Clovis
Veteran

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:04 am

Remember the Spags RAMS?

Fisher brought us out of that. His time has passed. Nothing to gain by assassination

69RamFan
Pro-bowler

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:15 am

I tried to back up Fisher many of times,,..

But what pissed me off about him,,,,

He never tried to hired outside of his coaching tree a good offensive coordinator

And for those that were saying that Stan Kroenke doesn't care about winning....

He hired Fisher experience, for the move to L.A.

Now he hired McVay to build and bring a Championship team for years to come...

And at the same time, will be getting a new state of the art Stadium.

RamPower
Veteran

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:23 am

As mentioned here, the Fisher offense, yikes. Was it a player evaluation issue or scheme/coaching? (he certainly had his share of busts)…but we have some excellent cornerstones on offense from the Fisher era as well. Goff, Gurley, Austin, Higbee… Hav. etc.

...and any Fisher offense would have to look better this year had the Rams been able to still acquire Whitworth and Sullivan, Sammy, Woods, Kupp, Everett etc. BUT would this offense look anything like the one McVay has put together? Oh hell no. Again better hopefully, but McVey is building on the brilliance he showed at WASH. So far, something extra special has been developing in Los Angeles…

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:58 am

Fisher gets blame for plenty of the bad personnel decisions made under his watch.. rightly so...
And deserves credit for the good ones.

Let's just remember that with the same players... his teams sucked.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

Idaho_Ram
Starter

Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:21 am

I would say the immediate turn around is more of an indictment of Fisher than a compliment. He won four games with this "talent." The problem was, it was talent and not necessarily PROFESSIONALISM with that talent (i.e. Kenny Britt.) Fisher was unwilling to hold the line like McVay.

I will give Fisher credit for putting an NFL roster on the field after the Spags era...but he undid his progress by being absolutely blind and bullheaded on his offensive approach and hires.

Fletch59
Veteran

Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:30 am

Close but no cigar fellows. What we got 6 new starters on the offense and a couple or 3 on Defense? Now the same question...all fisher or some nice hair snead. Fisher didn't know a winning culture or attitude if it hit him on his fly rod.

GO RAMS!

99rams
Veteran

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:43 pm

I can’t argue with these comments. I will give Fisher credit for picking a few plums in the draft like Goff, Gurley, Donald, Tree, even Austin but never for Offensive coaching, culture, or strategy. McVay has these guys in their youth and is much better at drafting than Fisher . Snead & McVay won’t have the crazy high draft picks Fisher had (I hope) but they are much better deeper in the draft.

UtahRam
Starter

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:49 pm

The success we see this year is mainly attributed to the O-Line play. Fisher tried addressing it in previous years but everything came to a head this offseason and with the addition of Sullivan and Whitworth and the development of Havenstein and Brown we are where we are. Fisher deserves some credit, no doubt.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:30 pm

UtahRam wrote:
The success we see this year is mainly attributed to the O-Line play. Fisher tried addressing it in previous years but everything came to a head this offseason and with the addition of Sullivan and Whitworth and the development of Havenstein and Brown we are where we are. Fisher deserves some credit, no doubt.
Um... Fisher and his peeps wanted Robinson. The line play problems are *directly* attributed to Fisher.

3-24-16

ram_attack
Starter

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:07 pm

maybe we should put his mustache in the ring of honor.

harkin
Veteran

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:50 pm

What’s with the sudden fascination with this dead weight loser who the game has passed by?

His slurpers will come in to tell us he has his millions and doesn’t care what we think.

So glad his underachieving, undisciplined, inconsistent a$$ is gone.

sdram
Veteran

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:09 pm

The best thing Fisher did was to keep the Rams bad enough to stockpile highly drafted talent that was just waiting for a great coaching staff to come in and use them properly.

UtahRam
Starter

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:06 pm

Dick84 wrote:
UtahRam wrote:
Um... Fisher and his peeps wanted Robinson. The line play problems are *directly* attributed to Fisher.
Most felt Robinson was a good pick at the time. You can't twist that to fit your narrative.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:13 pm

UtahRam wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:06 pm
Dick84 wrote:
UtahRam wrote:
Most felt Robinson was a good pick at the time. You can't twist that to fit your narrative.
It's not a narrative.
I liked the Robinson pick.
If you've read what I've said... I give him credit for players that were brought in at the time as well as blame.

What's so hard about that?
He sucked at coaching them.

3-24-16

HighDesertRam
Starter

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:31 pm

Fisher should get some credit but after watching "Hard Knocks" i got sick to my stomach and realized it wasn't the players it was Fisher and his buddies what a trainreck.
What a nice change now , go Mcvay

harley01
Starter

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:39 pm

We had a great draft this year. Maybe Snead will do a better job joined with McVay. It would be interesting to see how many players Snead had nixed by Fisher in previous drafts. I think the o line coaching has been much better. I was truly worried about the right side of our line. So much in fact I dumped Gurley from my fantasy team after two weeks.....ooops!

NN1Badboy
Veteran

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:50 pm

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. And what’s to say that Snead didn’t have a lot of input on these draft choices. He was getting bashed by everyone prior to now. Maybe the good picks were his doings.

Anyway, I wouldn’t give Fisher credit for anything. All he did was run his guys in the ground. All the good players would have left for greener pastures if that bum was still here.

Safety Blitz
Veteran

Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:32 am

Fisher was a complete disaster..R.I.P.

He'll be an HC soon.

"In McVay We Trust!"

AlamoRamFan
Bench Warmer

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:57 am

When you have all the high draft picks Fisher had from the RGIII deal, plus our own picks you should have come away with a lot more impact players. Only Gurley, Donald and Goff are really pro bowl caliber over those 5 years. And Goff and Gurley were being ruined under Fishers watch. Fisher gets zero credit from me....Any knucklehead could hit on a few.