Why is Jimmy G. Playing Sunday?

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
Raminec
Veteran

Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:44 pm

A lot of discussion about the playoff bound Rams resting their starters. I wonder what Jimmy G. has to play for or to gain by playing in Sunday’s game. His contract expires this season and he has already earned a big contract or at minimum a Franchise Tag which would mean around 23 million for next season. But what if he gets hurt in a meaningless game ? ( I’m certainly not hoping for it) but what would say an ACL injury do to his long term earning potential. The Niners are flush in cap space second only to the Browns at just shy of 57 million. Why don’t they sign this guy who is being called their savior? What protection does Jimmy G. have to fall back on if he were to get injured before he gets his new contract or gets Franchised. I hope he has some kind of insurance policy that protects him in the case of something terrible happening. I think the Niners should have done the right thing by him and locked him up long term once he established himself. Maybe they are not sold. Maybe they are outsmarting themselves. Maybe Jimmy G. wants Matt Stafford money 27 million for 6 years.
Niners got their QB of the future but he is going to cost them quite a few $$$$$$$.

Ram Man
Starter

Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:09 pm

Resting your players because they're out of the playoffs is a joke. That basically makes Week 17 a fifth exhibition game for more than half of the teams.

sanbagger
Veteran

Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:17 pm

Jimmy G is still feeling his way through the playbook...I know he has played well since becoming the starter but he is definitely working on a reduced playbook. If he stays in San Fran this will help him become more familiar with the playbook.

Who knows why they haven't signed him yet but I'm sure the niners plan all along was to sign him unless he was a complete flop....they gave up a 2nd rounder for him and they were basically done when they picked him up...so, they, for sure, want him on the roster.

Also....teams eliminated from the playoffs have a responsibility to the league to not "mail it in" at the end of the season....if they rested a bunch of their starters to either save them for next year or try and get a higher draft pick, there would be trouble with the league.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:21 pm

Raminec wrote:
A lot of discussion about the playoff bound Rams resting their starters. I wonder what Jimmy G. has to play for or to gain by playing in Sunday’s game. His contract expires this season and he has already earned a big contract or at minimum a Franchise Tag which would mean around 23 million for next season. But what if he gets hurt in a meaningless game ? ( I’m certainly not hoping for it) but what would say an ACL injury do to his long term earning potential. The Niners are flush in cap space second only to the Browns at just shy of 57 million. Why don’t they sign this guy who is being called their savior? What protection does Jimmy G. have to fall back on if he were to get injured before he gets his new contract or gets Franchised. I hope he has some kind of insurance policy that protects him in the case of something terrible happening. I think the Niners should have done the right thing by him and locked him up long term once he established himself. Maybe they are not sold. Maybe they are outsmarting themselves. Maybe Jimmy G. wants Matt Stafford money 27 million for 6 years.
Niners got their QB of the future but he is going to cost them quite a few $$$$$$$.
I just don't think any of that is a factor. He's playing.

Also.. If I'm Jimmy G.. I'm waiting until FA... force them to franchise you... or break the bank.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

Raminec
Veteran

Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:52 pm

Dick84 wrote:
Raminec wrote:

Also.. If I'm Jimmy G.. I'm waiting until FA... force them to franchise you... or break the bank.
Just looking at it from another perspective. Rams resting players for health and injury concerns because they have bigger things to play for the following week. Jimmy G. (kind of like some of those college stars who sit out Bowl games to avoid injury that could cost them a big payday on draft day ) has no contract beyond Sunday. He has a potential to make serious dollars in the offseason but if by some fluke or freak play, a misstep or The likes he sustains an injury he is pretty much costing himself major dollars. He has won four straight games and likely to win a fifth against the Ram JV but at the end of the day the Niners are going home at best 6-10. If I was Jimmys agent I would be sweating bullets on Sunday. I would never want him to get hurt but I can tell you without a doubt he is the player that has the most to lose on Sunday. Hope he comes out of the game healthy. Like the balls he is showing by playing but the NFL is a business and the Niners are not doing right by Jimmy by not signing him to a contract right now.

sanbagger
Veteran

Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:35 pm

Raminec wrote:
Dick84 wrote:
Raminec wrote:

Just looking at it from another perspective. Rams resting players for health and injury concerns because they have bigger things to play for the following week. Jimmy G. (kind of like some of those college stars who sit out Bowl games to avoid injury that could cost them a big payday on draft day ) has no contract beyond Sunday. He has a potential to make serious dollars in the offseason but if by some fluke or freak play, a misstep or The likes he sustains an injury he is pretty much costing himself major dollars. He has won four straight games and likely to win a fifth against the Ram JV but at the end of the day the Niners are going home at best 6-10. If I was Jimmys agent I would be sweating bullets on Sunday. I would never want him to get hurt but I can tell you without a doubt he is the player that has the most to lose on Sunday. Hope he comes out of the game healthy. Like the balls he is showing by playing but the NFL is a business and the Niners are not doing right by Jimmy by not signing him to a contract right now.
Every year players play meaningless games while having an expiring contract...this really isn't different or unusual.

Healthy players don't take themselves out of NFL games...they go play. I've never been a fan of the college players, like Clowney, that didn't play at the end because it would hurt draft position and I would actually like to see a rule implemented to make it a thing of the past....something like they are eliminated from the first 2 rounds, that would do it.

UtahRam
Starter

Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:11 pm

Why is Jimmy G. Playing Sunday? To kick our ass, put a statement on their season and a statement on the RAMS future and try and avoid their team being swept by division opponents for the first time in their team history.

Raminec
Veteran

Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:17 pm

UtahRam wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:11 pm
Why is Jimmy G. Playing Sunday? To kick our ass, put a statement on their season and a statement on the RAMS future and try and avoid their team being swept by division opponents for the first time in their team history.
Wow they get all that done with a win against the Rams JV. One question though if they lose what does that say about the Niners? What if they win and Jimmy G blows a knee? Back to the draftboard. I get it you want to finish strong but you have got to be smart as well. Id play all my rookies and any marginal starters but if Jimmy G is the Franchise QB they think he is I would be pretty careful. Meanigless games get real meaningful when a key player is injured. Sundays game is preaseason 2.1 Next season everyone starts 0-0

Raminec
Veteran

Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:21 pm

sanbagger wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:35 pm
Raminec wrote:
Dick84 wrote:

Every year players play meaningless games while having an expiring contract...this really isn't different or unusual.

Healthy players don't take themselves out of NFL games...they go play. I've never been a fan of the college players, like Clowney, that didn't play at the end because it would hurt draft position and I would actually like to see a rule implemented to make it a thing of the past....something like they are eliminated from the first 2 rounds, that would do it.
NFL has no control over college players until they sign with an NFL team. Any rule eliminating a player from the first 2 rounds because they didnt play in a bowl game would be struck down in the lowest courts in the land because of lack of merit. Its a business they are not slaves. Thats foolish.

Raminec
Veteran

Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:26 pm

I hope Jimmy G. Plays and makes his contract request so high that the Niners will have to unload a brinks truck to pay him. Rams dont have to deal with him till next year and until then let him earn MEGA MILLIONS. He is the second coming of Brady. Belicheck thought so highly of him he traded him for a number 2 pick. Think about that for a minute. Why did the hoodie dump him like he did?

clevelandrams
Veteran

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:41 am

They have to sell something to the public. You. Need a few stars on the field to boo and cheer..sports is about entertainment and gambling.it has nothing to do with competition

Ants
Veteran

Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:05 am

clevelandrams wrote:
They have to sell something to the public. You. Need a few stars on the field to boo and cheer..sports is about entertainment and gambling.it has nothing to do with competition
In other fake news, the Russians actually won the election! :shock:
:roll:

By the way, WHEN are the Rams and Seahags going to tank, as you predicted? :roll:

:idea: Let's win some games.

Fletch59
Veteran

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:46 am

When we tear their ass up with our back ups I'm gonna laugh my frigging ass off. Effective the 49 whiners!

GO RAMS!

NorCal RF
Veteran

Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:52 am

Raminec wrote:
First of all why the need for this thread. Does anyone really care what the niners do or don't do?

Second you need to understand what has taken place here in the Bay Area the last 5 weeks with fans and media and in doing so there would be no question. He s the next Montana in their eyes, which is laughable, and all want a six game winning streak going into the off season. For some reason such will mean something going into next season even if our key guys don't play. They are ignoring such.

Most importantly it he did get hurt this Sunday it simply doesn't matter. Lynch isn't letting him go anywhere and he is prepared to break the bank to keep him.. Lynch has his guy and nothing that happens this Sunday changes such. There is no risk for Jimmy G to play. He knows he isn't going anywhere as well as there is no need to lock him up now. Again understand what is going on up here right now with the niners and you wouldn't have such questions.

D-GenerationX
Veteran

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:04 am

If I'm the Niners, I want to see as much of him as possible.

clevelandrams
Veteran

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:58 pm

Ants wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:05 am
clevelandrams wrote:
In other fake news, the Russians actually won the election! :shock:
:roll:

By the way, WHEN are the Rams and Seahags going to tank, as you predicted? :roll:
Do you have any insight or reading comprehension? I never said the Rams were tanking. I said they aren't getting a 1 or 2 seed to host a late round playoff game in a no frills old stadium.
Of course the seahawks have tanked.they lost all their players and it's obvious they won't make the SB.
The difference between you and me is I know it's bullshit watching Wilson run in slow ass circles while defenders run up to him and just fall down ..and he then throws a ball ,not even looking where he's throwing and gets a completion.

sanbagger
Veteran

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:11 pm

Raminec wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:21 pm

NFL has no control over college players until they sign with an NFL team. Any rule eliminating a player from the first 2 rounds because they didnt play in a bowl game would be struck down in the lowest courts in the land because of lack of merit. Its a business they are not slaves. Thats foolish.
Nobody said or even inferred they were slaves, what's the matter with you? I'm pretty certain there's only 2 people in the world that want a teams star player sitting out his bowl game...that would be the player and his agent that's giving him advice.

They already made strides in that direction by putting a rookie wage scale in effect.

There is no college union so who exactly is gonna take the NFL to court? I just gave an idea off the top of my head, really my point was my disgust at the actions and I realize there are posters that don't agree with my stance and others that do....shrug.

RamPower
Veteran

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:15 pm

clevelandrams wrote:
Pro-level sports has nothing to do with competition? That's some real conspiracy shit right there. Maybe the NFL outcomes are prearranged by Obama's UFO baby? :ugeek:

Damn, that's sad dude. Why in the world would you have anything to do with something that's such a sham? And at a home fans team forum no less? Hmmm, I think I know where the real sham is originating from…

Rate this topic