Genius McVay proven right again...

General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
Mike Schad 1st Rd
Starter

Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:51 pm

The Rams could've played EVERYONE today. Goff, Gurley, Whitworth, Sully, A.D. etc. Fought hard, bloodied, battered, got worn down, and still would've merely earned the 3-seed. OR, Sit and Rest EVERYONE and have them fresh and JUICED for next weekend, and STILL get the 3-seed. In McVay We Trust!!!!

Commish
Veteran

Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:10 pm

Mike Schad 1st Rd wrote:
The Rams could've played EVERYONE today. Goff, Gurley, Whitworth, Sully, A.D. etc. Fought hard, bloodied, battered, got worn down, and still would've merely earned the 3-seed. OR, Sit and Rest EVERYONE and have them fresh and JUICED for next weekend, and STILL get the 3-seed. In McVay We Trust!!!!
Yes--it seemed to end up being "the best of both worlds" for our team, getting to rest key starters while still ending up with the #3 seed in the NFC playoffs.

Of course, I intensely dislike the Rams *ever* losing to the 49ers, but the Good Guys being well-rested for the postseason hopefully will prove worth that 'sacrifice'... :) ;) :idea:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish
Last edited by Commish on Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McCOY: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

toast49
Veteran

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:00 pm

Very lucky. Our offense looked like it did under Fisher today. Terrible. The 3 seed is good, but it was complete luck.

Pj50
Starter

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:02 pm

I’ll take it

Only good thing about this shit sandwich of a day

Clovis
Veteran

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:13 pm

Some of the concern was staying hot and not letting time off affect the momentum. I like the way we kept the 3 seed but we still have to see how the team plays Saturday.

toast49
Veteran

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:17 pm

We got lucky. We looked really bad against a bad 9er team. I hope the 9ers emply the bank for their QB. He's average.

Commish
Veteran

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:27 pm

toast49 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:17 pm
We looked really bad against a bad 9er team.
You have figured out that our team will be playing its starters in the NFC playoffs next week, haven't you...?? :shock: :geek: :?:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish

UtahRam
Starter

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:29 pm

I think the whole "genius" thing is a bit over-the-top. Martz was labeled that and look what happened. You're just setting people up to fail when you start worshipping them like that.

SoCalRam78
Veteran

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:40 pm

toast49 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:00 pm
Very lucky. Our offense looked like it did under Fisher today. Terrible. The 3 seed is good, but it was complete luck.
so mannion playing with his all pro back, top 3 WRS, starting TE and behind a backup o line was supposed to thrive?

Fan since 80s

99rams
Veteran

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:48 pm

These are the Players the Rams did not play. Most teams would lose if 1, 2 or 3 missed a meaningless game with the Division wrapped up and we still had 3 turnovers including 2 Jimmy GQ INTs via special delivery (no deep ball).

Todd Gurley, Aaron Donald, Andrew Whitworth, Mark Barron, Alec Ogletree, John Sullivan, Lamarcus Joyner. Cooper Kupp, Jared Goff, Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods

Jack85Youngblood
Veteran

Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:19 pm

I think New Orleans gave up when they saw that Carolina was going to lose for sure. Foles is horrible.. It will be a much easier route through Philly. I did not want the Rams to play Carolina; but after watching them today, I would rather them then Atlanta. No running game or receivers. Freeman and Jones may not match up well with Rams D. Only saving grace is that Matt Ryan is not having a good year. If Rams can somehow get past Minnesota, it may pay off to get New Orleans back in LA. One can only hope.

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:12 pm

Jack85Youngblood wrote:
I think New Orleans gave up when they saw that Carolina was going to lose for sure. Foles is horrible.. It will be a much easier route through Philly. I did not want the Rams to play Carolina; but after watching them today, I would rather them then Atlanta. No running game or receivers. Freeman and Jones may not match up well with Rams D. Only saving grace is that Matt Ryan is not having a good year. If Rams can somehow get past Minnesota, it may pay off to get New Orleans back in LA. One can only hope.
There is a good thing about were we are seeded...

If we beat ATL,,, then we will play indoors in Minny.... instead of the cold weather in Philly and I think Goff and the offense plays well under the noise...... we just have to get an early and big lead to cut the loud noise down from the fans... then if we get by Minny,,, I feel most likely,,, we will play the Saints or Panthers at home... Philly is not going anywhere with Foles...
Last edited by 69RamFan on Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pj50
Starter

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:28 pm

We couldn’t beat Minny in Minny a month ago

Couldn’t do squat

The Rams will be lucky to beat Atlanta

Cornell29
Starter

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:37 pm

Pj50 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:28 pm
We couldn’t beat Minny in Minny a month ago

Couldn’t do squat

The Rams will be lucky to beat Atlanta
Couldn't beat seattle at home either.

EkernMLB
Veteran

Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:27 am

This move made tons of sense. Especially considering the six 1st-3rd rounders who aren't on the roster due to the Goff trade. Depth is at a premium, and you get a real look at who can and can't play for next year. The trade is off the books next year and the Rams can start restocking depth and should be in good shape as a free agent destination.

Jack85Youngblood
Veteran

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:37 am

69RamFan wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:12 pm
Jack85Youngblood wrote:
There is a good thing about were we are seeded...

If we beat ATL,,, then we will play indoors in Minny.... instead of the cold weather in Philly and I think Goff and the offense plays well under the noise...... we just have to get an early and big lead to cut the loud noise down from the fans... then if we get by Minny,,, I feel most likely,,, we will play the Saints or Panthers at home... Philly is not going anywhere with Foles...
Good points 69. Also tough to beat a good team twice in Minny's case. . Gurley needs to be effective at Minny to keep the pass rush honest and open up play action. I'm still not a believer int Keenum; but would rather face Foles obviously.

Rammer
Veteran

Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:00 am

Mike Schad 1st Rd wrote:
Sorry, McVay got lucky.. He was willing to give up 3rd seed. That could have meant one more road game in the playoffs. To me that didn't make sense.

I don't like the resting players for the playoffs... They had a nice momentum going and now it is gone. Rams gt their asses kicked by the niners. That feels real good going into the playoffs. Now they probably get off to a slow start next week.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:02 am

I seriously question fans who think... after 15 games... that taking a game off is going to have anything but a positive effect.

If you fail after that.. you failed somewhere else in your preparation.

Rest is absolutely *gold* for guys who have been beaten up for months straight.

To me... arguing otherwise would be like arguing the Rams would be losing on Sundays because they regularly gave veteran players a day off during the week. Remember that whole.. “they’re not in pads enough” argument? Boy... really hurt Whitworth and Sullivan, & Quinn actually made it through the season and was productive.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

NN1Badboy
Veteran

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:08 am

You’re spot on Dick. This week of rest is exactly what some of the guys needed. Now we go win 3 games and you get to rest again. I think that McVay knows the keys to success. Now we will just have to wait and see.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:12 am

NN1Badboy wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:08 am
You’re spot on Dick. This week of rest is exactly what some of the guys needed. Now we go win 3 games and you get to rest again. I think that McVay knows the keys to success. Now we will just have to wait and see.
I can’t see the future.

What I do see is a Rams program that thinks about *every* detail now. There’s nothing spurious about the decision.. it fits their philosophy.

3-24-16

Clovis
Veteran

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:45 am

Dick84 wrote:
I seriously question fans who think... after 15 games... that taking a game off is going to have anything but a positive effect.
Not saying it WILL happen but it does happen. More often in baseball than football but to speak in absolutes saying "always" or "never" is never ;) accurate.

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:14 am

Clovis wrote:
Dick84 wrote:
Not saying it WILL happen but it does happen. More often in baseball than football but to speak in absolutes saying "always" or "never" is never ;) accurate.
Football is totally a different sport than baseball or basketball....

Football needs a recovery time for the body.....

Look at the teams that get a bye week in the playoffs...

A high percentage of football teams that have a break,,, make it to the Superbowl.....

Why do you think those top team try their hardest to get the best record and stay on top... to get the bye....

Because at that time of the year,,, you will be playing the best teams in the league,,, so teams with fresher legs,,, usually wins it all...

So taking one week time off doesn't effect the momentum of a good football team...

if losing momentum was the case,,, then you would see teams losing on purpose so they wouldn't get a bye week because they don't want to lose momentum..... that would be a joke,,, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Commish
Veteran

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:15 am

Rammer wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:00 am
Rams gt their asses kicked by the niners.
Really?

So Todd Gurley got his "ass kicked" by the 49ers, hmmmm?

Or was that Jared Goff? Or Robert Woods? Aaron Donald? Andrew Whitworth? Cooper Kupp?

So do you actually expect Sean McVay to field yesterday's Rams' team vs, the Falcons in this Saturday's playoff matchup?

That's totally 'unreal' reasoning... :o :shock: :roll:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:22 pm

Clovis wrote:
Dick84 wrote:
Actually.... I'm 100% confident that it's always a plus.

The results of the game? A function of preparation and execution.
The only game I felt the Rams weren't ready to go at kickoff was the Minnesota game.

3-24-16