Watkins' effort level was zilch

General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
Ram Man
Starter

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:48 pm

Didn't even try to catch the first bomb to him. Alligator-armed others. Extremely disappointing.

And was Tavon hurt? He may have actually made a difference tonight.

But 14 carries for Gurley at home was just horrible playcalling.

Lastly, Ogletree continued to show he's terribly overrated, Barron just needs to go and hopefully the Rams' brass will start preparing next week for their defensive-heavy draft in April.

harkin
Veteran

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:26 pm

Watkins played small when we needed him extra large but this loss is on the entire coaching staff and team.

We were outplayed and outcoached - the Falcons Defense looked possessed on every play and shut us down in our own freaking house. When we’re too scared to utilize Gurley in a playoff game someone’s thinking cap isn’t on straight.

I saw Austin going left to right as a decoy on the first play I think, don’t recall seeing him after that.

LouisvilleRam
Starter

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:43 pm

Gurley had 14 carries and 10 targets in the passing game. When your behind double digits most of a game your RB isn't going to get a lot of carries.

Tenacious T
Starter

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:47 pm

Our play calling on offense was beyond predictable. My wife and I both called almost every play. The Falcons had us down pat.

Pharoh Cooper was the biggest offender in this loss, McVay and his predictable play calling was a close second.

Go Rams!

Pj50
Starter

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:54 pm

They ran into a better team

No one giving Atlanta Credit

They stopped the Rams,it wasn’t the Rams out of synch,the situation and the Falcons were too much for them

It happens,especially to young teams,that’s allright,keep gettin better and next year we’ll have playoff experience

That’s a real good team that beat the Rams tonight

Go Rams

SoCalRam78
Veteran

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:06 am

A disappointment. Some say he's drawing double coverage, etc, but then you have guys like robert woods busting his ass on every play, run blocking well and making tough grabs. Don't see it from Watkins.

Fan since 80s

RGtheFirst
Starter

Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:34 am

Pj50 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:54 pm
They ran into a better team

No one giving Atlanta Credit

They stopped the Rams,it wasn’t the Rams out of synch,the situation and the Falcons were too much for them

It happens,especially to young teams,that’s allright,keep gettin better and next year we’ll have playoff experience

That’s a real good team that beat the Rams tonight

Go Rams
Exactly, the coach??? Their secondary got the job done last week too...

ADonaldBeast
Starter

Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:44 am

LouisvilleRam wrote:
Gurley had 14 carries and 10 targets in the passing game. When your behind double digits most of a game your RB isn't going to get a lot of carries.
That thinking is just so stupid. We wrre down 13 early and the we actually got gurley the ball. Down only 3 at half. We werent down double digits again until 5 min left. Gurley had 7.2 ypc. If he gets the ball more i think we overcome the early hole and win the game. At Lana is a fast defense but you can run straight at them.

The bottom line is that McVay and company shit the bed.

harley01
Starter

Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:54 am

I remember seeing the sky cam shot when Goff slipped early in the game as he scrambled. Our WRs were blanketed and I had a feeling we were in for a tough night.

Ants
Veteran

Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:12 am

Ram Man wrote:
Didn't even try to catch the first bomb to him. Alligator-armed others. Extremely disappointing.

That ball was very under-thrown.
But I think he could have come up with the last play.

:idea: Let's win some games.

sanbagger
Veteran

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:11 am

Ants wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:12 am
Ram Man wrote:

That ball was very under-thrown.
But I think he could have come up with the last play.
Agree...that first one was not catchable but the later on went right through his hands.

Hard to put a lot of blame on a guy when the QB isn't even looking in his direction because he's locked on to 2 guys.

harkin
Veteran

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:57 am

The early sideline pass was up for grabs, which is supposed to be Sammy’s specialty because he’s so big and strong and athletic right?

I only saw the DB make a play on that ball - wtf don’t people understand this is a do-or-die playoff game and every play has consequences? Sammy should have been doing everything he could to get to that ball.

At least most people get it that Gurley was not the problem and if we’d used him more we stood a better chance of coming back.

rong
Veteran

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:59 am

20/20 hind site off course...would we have been better off keeping our second rounder and...EJ Gaines...he might have come in handy late in this season and next year as well

LouisvilleRam
Starter

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:15 am

ADonaldBeast wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:44 am
LouisvilleRam wrote:
That thinking is just so stupid. We wrre down 13 early and the we actually got gurley the ball. Down only 3 at half. We werent down double digits again until 5 min left. Gurley had 7.2 ypc. If he gets the ball more i think we overcome the early hole and win the game. At Lana is a fast defense but you can run straight at them.

The bottom line is that McVay and company shit the bed.
Again common sense will tell you that if you are behind most of the game a teams RB will have fewer carries. You can check stats and you'll see I'm right.Should Gurley have gotten more carries those first couple of drives yes but it was obvious the Falcons main objective was to take away Gurley.

TBUX
Veteran

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:19 am

Goff clearly audibled out of a number of called runs it looks like- and rightfully so based on what D was doing- but we were out of sync and unlike McVay we did not adjust as we usually do. I will bet McVay is beating himself up today. We were pressing all game- just not ourselves.

harkin
Veteran

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:36 am

LouisvilleRam wrote:
Again common sense will tell you that if you are behind most of the game a teams RB will have fewer carries. You can check stats and you'll see I'm right.Should Gurley have gotten more carries those first couple of drives yes but it was obvious the Falcons main objective was to take away Gurley.
Common sense should tell you that when your opponent’s goal is to neutralize your most potent weapon you do not play into their hands.

Instead, you show them you refuse to let them control your offensive game plan. The Rams coaching folded like a cheap suit.

It’s not rocket science but you are glaringly wrong.

sanbagger
Veteran

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:43 am

harkin wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:36 am
LouisvilleRam wrote:
Common sense should tell you that when your opponent’s goal is to neutralize your most potent weapon you do not play into their hands.

Instead, you show them you refuse to let them control your offensive game plan. The Rams coaching folded like a cheap suit.

It’s not rocket science but you are glaringly wrong.
That's just one philosophy...you know, the old Chuck Knox offense "I'm gonna run the ball no matter how many guys you put in the box"...that is a philosophy.

There's also a philosophy that says if you're gonna sell out to stop the run I'm gonna pass it....if you sell out to stop the pass I'm ganna run it.....that's another philosophy.

Last night ATL was selling out to stop the run so he tried to use the pass, but the QB didn't play as well he had all year.

LouisvilleRam
Starter

Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:08 am

Instead, you show them you refuse to let them control your offensive game plan.

You're right all those screen passes to Gurley worked out great.
Last edited by LouisvilleRam on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

EastBayRamsFan
Starter

Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:13 am

Yes-saw this all year too.

Once again Robert Woods gives 100% on the field and Tavon and Watkins pull disappearing acts. Hope I never see Tavon in a Rams uniform again. I predicted that gimmick would be a bust on draft day and he was.

harkin
Veteran

Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:36 am

That's just one philosophy...you know, the old Chuck Knox offense "I'm gonna run the ball no matter how many guys you put in the box"...that is a philosophy.
Sigh - you’re actually comparing the Rams offense this year to Ground Chuck?

The Rams failure to move the ball and stay on the field was because they failed to mix it up, not because they didn’t run every play. Gurley played like an MVP this year and helped get them back in the game. You have to use him more.

The Rams offense did exactly what the Falcons wanted and asked Goff to win it for them.

Falcons Mission Accomplished.

harkin
Veteran

Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:39 am

EastBayRamsFan wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:13 am
Hope I never see Tavon in a Rams uniform again. I predicted that gimmick would be a bust on draft day and he was.
I was never a fan of the Tavon signing nor throwing millions at him based on “potential” but nothing yesterday was his fault. He should be gone for failing to deliver all year, not for McVay not calling his number yesterday.

sanbagger
Veteran

Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:48 am

harkin wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:36 am
Sigh - you’re actually comparing the Rams offense this year to Ground Chuck?

The Rams failure to move the ball and stay on the field was because they failed to mix it up, not because they didn’t run every play. Gurley played like an MVP this year and helped get them back in the game. You have to use him more.

The Rams offense did exactly what the Falcons wanted and asked Goff to win it for them.

Falcons Mission Accomplished.
Don't be so dramatic, I wasn't comparing anything to anything.....all I did was state there are different philosophy's.

I don't think running a guy in to 8-9 man fronts, while the defense is fresh, is a great idea especially when the Rams offense has been very good through the air.

A team forces runs in to a stacked defense when they don't have a passing attack (this is where the ground Chuck reference comes in to play).....I would not say the Rams offense can't throw the ball effectively this year so in that case the odds are to attack them where they aren't.

Gurley did get his touches and if Goff had been more effective I believe TG would have had more carries...but...that's football.

mburns
Bench Warmer

Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:04 pm

This is why Watkins whose supposed to be our No. 1 wide out needed to play better. They put 8 guys in the box going one on one with our receivers and they could still not get open consistently.

harkin
Veteran

Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:09 pm

OK one last time.

Gurley averaged over seven yards a carry last night - even with a stacked box.

The Rams had him carry it 14 times while they threw 45 passes. Plus they panicked and stopped trying the screen instead of adjusting to the Bills spying it.

That was so lopsided and stupid it was, what’s that word....dramatic!

This is not what got us into the playoffs.

Rams got out-coached.

Mike Schad 1st Rd
Starter

Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:37 pm

rong wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:59 am
20/20 hind site off course...would we have been better off keeping our second rounder and...EJ Gaines...he might have come in handy late in this season and next year as well
Can't help but think that trade was a fail for us. We thought we'd be getting back a 3rd in compensation if he walked and got a big contract, but is that even guaranteed now? He's not a TRUE one. If Odell is somehow available, we should probably consider it.