Rams FA contracts. What to do?

General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
Dispatched
Veteran

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:53 pm

So here are the Rams FA with rounded salary numbers from last year:

Tru Johnson - $16.75M (What must his agent want for a long term contract?)
Sammy Watkins - $5M (He's going to want to be the highest paid Rams receiver)
Connor Barwin - $3.5M (He's in the Tavon savings range)
Dom Easley - $1.8M (Hurt the whole year, but had been projected to start)
Lance Dunbar - $1.5M (Maybe pass on resigning him, or could he take Tavon's role?)
Joyner- $1.3 (He's due a big jump)
John Sullivan - $1M (Can he continue? If, so it won't be for a $1M)
Derek Carrier - $1M (Apparently McVay liked his value to go get him last year)
Jake McQuade (LS) -$900k (Didn't he make the Pro Bowl?)
Nickel Robie-Coleman - $900k (He's not signing again for that)
Tyronn Walker -$800k (someone is going to want him?)
Cornelius Luca (RT) $700k (?)
Isiah Johnson (FS) - 650k (?)

Also under contract player considerations:

Robert Quinn is due to make at or near $12m. He's only 27. What's his team value?
Aaron Donald is due to make just under $7m. What will the Rams pay to extend him? $25m a year? That would be an $18m chunk of the cap for one player.
To me it is really hard to let Tavon go to save $3m while paying him $5m in dead money. Is Tavon worth $3M to the team? That's what it comes down to. Would you care if he became a 49er?

Rams have somewhere in the $40-45m in cap space available. They will have to pay draft picks from this pool of money too. Cuts or trades could save some more.

And don't forget a year or two from now Gurley and Goff come due.

crazy-legs
Veteran

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:24 am

I would only renew Joyner, Sullivan, McQuade and Coleman...

I don't think Watkins is worth what he'll ask and there's no way in hell Tru is worth anything close to what he's been paid the last 2 years....

I'd cut Quinn as well. we need more pressure from our Ends. He a 1 trick pony IMO....

Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...

toast49
Veteran

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:05 am

I think the Rams need to keep Quinn. It looked like he made the transition to OLB by the second half of the season and looked pretty good. He's in the prime of his career.
I'd try to bring Watkins back. He and Cupp are such good blockers downfield and created some explosive plays on screens to Woods and Gurley. Those 4 are the Rams main weapons on offense. They have good chemistry.
Have to sign Joyner or franchise him.
Sullivan you have to sign. Excellent Center.

malibu
Starter

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:51 am

This is a really tough off-season for the fan in terms of our outside view of the players. My guess for Snead/McVay it is somewhat easier because they know the strengths and weaknesses of each player.

The good thing for the Rams is way more FAs that have options out in the market place will be inclined to come due to the current make up of the team and coaching staff.

There seems to be 2 thoughts consistently I read one is dump Watkins, Tru, Barwin, Quinn and Austin or keep almost all.

Me I am in the middle - I trust the staff. I don't think Tru and Watkins are worth what people are purposing. Tru he can be replaced I believe with better or as good for less. Watkins is injury prone and not sure why he had such a non productive year. Superstars don't have down years I don't think he is one IMO. If he comes back at 6m a year fine I would never offer him 10m as most propose. Woods and Kupp flourished in this system so I would expect Sammy should have as well. The question as oppose to Tru who is out there to replace him, it is a down year for WR FAs. The top one is a slot guy Landry not an outside receiver. If we dump him then we have to waste a pick in FA because I do not believe we have his replacement in house.

Quinn I am on the fence on again FA is thin, but doable.

Austin to dump him is a 50/50 prop because of all the dead money. I always really liked him even though I recognize his lack of production. He is a nice element to have even though rather expensive one. Who do we replace him with maybe a speedster later in the draft maybe again it comes down to weighing the money.

Barwin can be replaced.

I still feel besides all the defense issues to be solved we must upgrade the TE position I don't love our current roster and not convinced they will grow into what I want. A Graham at the right price will make the Offence that much more dominant.

As I keep harping on we need to upgrade the OLine. The perfect answer is Norwell and Brown rotates. Helps Gurley immensely and keeps Goff upright more than likely he will not be cheap but without Goff staying upright and having time to throw it doesn't matter about the Defense upgrades. Themost important element first and foremost is Offense and keeping Jared Goff healthy.

Alot of decisions. Soon we will see what the staff thinks. March 14 can't come soon enough.

Commish
Veteran

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:32 am

toast49 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:05 am
I think the Rams need to keep Quinn. It looked like he made the transition to OLB by the second half of the season and looked pretty good. He's in the prime of his career.
I'd try to bring Watkins back. He and Cupp are such good blockers downfield and created some explosive plays on screens to Woods and Gurley. Those 4 are the Rams main weapons on offense. They have good chemistry.
Have to sign Joyner or franchise him.
Sullivan you have to sign. Excellent Center.
Agreed--as far as this goes.

If they're 100% healthy (recovered from injury), I'd also want our team to re-sign Dominique Easley and Kayvon Webster, both of whom should be relatively inexpensive due to their injury concerns.

Despite his overall modest 'stats' last year, Sammy Watkins was a reliable red-zone scorer, plus he was usually drawing #1 receiver coverage, which resulted in Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp enjoying better-than-expected season performances.

Also, AFAIC the guy figures to be more productive once he has an offseason and a full training camp working with the Rams' offensive schemes.

If Nickell Robey-Coleman and Connor Barwin can be re-signed at a reasonable cost, I'd prefer that they remain with the Good Guys as well... :) ;) :idea:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish

McCOY: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

Claremontram
Veteran

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:21 pm

I would tag Watkins. We need a #1 WR and he scares opposing Defenses. Let him spend the off season bonding with Goff. Got to get him going.

Quinn needs to be restructured; Tavon is a wash, can he be traded?

Not sure what to do with Tru, we need him. We need to draft the best available CB at 23.

29TheBest
Starter

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:29 pm

Tru Johnson - $16.75M (What must his agent want for a long term contract?) - NO]

Sammy Watkins - $5M (He's going to want to be the highest paid Rams receiver) - YES - Too Difficult to find a true #1 guy at this position, but with in reason

Connor Barwin - $3.5M (He's in the Tavon savings range) Not at this salary, a new starter should be developed, if he wants to take a lower salary to backup or fill in until a new started is ready OK

Dom Easley - $1.8M (Hurt the whole year, but had been projected to start) - YES - I think he has the ability to be an asset in the rotation

Lance Dunbar - $1.5M (Maybe pass on resigning him, or could he take Tavon's role?) - NO - Didn't contribute a darn thing!! Enough said

Joyner- $1.3 (He's due a big jump) YES YES YES YES

John Sullivan - $1M (Can he continue? If, so it won't be for a $1M) Another YES YES YES, we need to draft a newbie for the future and JS can mentor, He and Whit are the main reasons for the OL turnaround

Derek Carrier - $1M (Apparently McVay liked his value to go get him last year) BYE

Jake McQuade (LS) -$900k (Didn't he make the Pro Bowl?) YES YES YES Best in the Business

Nickel Robie-Coleman - $900k (He's not signing again for that) YEs - Solid, type of player you have to have on a winning team

Tyronn Walker -$800k (someone is going to want him?) For the right price, not a key guy

Cornelius Luca (RT) $700k (?) WHO?

Isiah Johnson (FS) - 650k (?) Another WHO?

Robert Quinn is due to make at or near $12m. He's only 27. What's his team value? BYE - Pay cut if he wants to stay, he is just not a $12m player

Aaron Donald is due to make just under $7m. What will the Rams pay to extend him? $25m a year? That would be an $18m chunk of the cap for one player. Get him signed Heart and Sole of this Defense!!!1

To me it is really hard to let Tavon go to save $3m while paying him $5m in dead money. Is Tavon worth $3M to the team? That's what it comes down to. Would you care if he became a 49er? BYE - Has done absolutely nothing, Snead probably should have been fired off this signing alone, Shame on Fisher for his judge of talent as well....Hell he can become a Charger if he wants...WHO CARES....LOL

rong
Veteran

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:03 am

I think we let Tavon Austin, Mark Barron, and Kayvon Webster go...Kayvon has had two surgeries this off season, gonna be tough to come back 100%...resign Hill for alot less for equal quality play imo...I'd like to keep Quinn if we could make some cap room with his contract, Sammy Watkins for $10-12 million okay, otherwise he walks...Lamarcus Joyner, Robey-Coleman, Sullivan and McQuade all come back for sure...Easley only if he's healthy....we will have plenty of cap space left over for Tru and Donald if we do all that...or for a free agent LB, CB or WR depending on how it all shakes out