https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... e-the-gap/

Rams News Now!
Get the Latest Rams News, Updated 24/7 Here:
Twitter : https://twitter.com/#!/RamsNewsNow
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RamsNews/

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:42 am

I've posted this before about how much of a difference between AD may be asking for a new contract vs what the RAMs front office could do if they don't agree to terms.....

The answer surely resides in the fundamental differences between what Donald wants and what the Rams will offer. Donald undoubtedly is looking for market value. The Rams, however, can keep him off the market until 2021 at the earliest, via a $6.892 million salary in 2018 and two years of the franchise tag (and roughly $15 million in 2019 and $18 million in 2020).

Under the Rams’ calculation, that’s a three-year haul of just under $40 million. If Donald is looking for $20 million per year, that’s a $20 million gap over the first three years.

The Rams may want to meet in the middle. Donald may be trying to hold firm. His leverage (other than holding out and losing real money) comes from going year to year and forcing his way to the market in 2021, when his franchise-tag number would be close to $26 million (a 44-percent raise over 2020) or the quarterback franchise tender, whichever is greater.

Of course, the Rams may decide to pay whatever it takes to keep him in 2021. Even if the quarterback franchise tag gets to $30 million by then (unlikely), the Rams will have paid $70 million for four years — and that’s still $10 million less than what Donald likely wants over four years.

So then the can gets kicked to 2022, which is an eternity as far as NFL teams are concerned. By then, the player will be closing in on 31, with four more years of wear and tear and Father Time possibly commencing the process of making Donald mortal.

NN1Badboy
Veteran

Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:43 pm

I think Donald is just waiting to see what kind of contract Khalil Mack gets and then top that. Donald wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the league. If he signs before Mack then I think Mack will try to top him. I hope we can come to an agreement and keep him, but if his demands are that outrageous then i’d do exactly like 69RamFan said and play hardball.

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:17 pm

NN1Badboy wrote:
I think Donald is just waiting to see what kind of contract Khalil Mack gets and then top that. Donald wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the league. If he signs before Mack then I think Mack will try to top him. I hope we can come to an agreement and keep him, but if his demands are that outrageous then i’d do exactly like 69RamFan said and play hardball.
The problem for AD waiting out,,,

He will lose his FA eligibility for 2019 if he doesnt show up by Aug 8th.....
So the RAMs hold all the cards.
Plus AD will lose paychecks and get fines...

To where as Mack, can sit out longer because he didnt sit out last season...
So he has more flex time available to sit out...

rong
Veteran

Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:05 pm

If AD is talking to friends about a deal before camp...then, they gotta be close, may be just a little tweaking to get it done.

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:09 pm

rong wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:05 pm
If AD is talking to friends about a deal before camp...then, they gotta be close, may be just a little tweaking to get it done.
Well camp starts on the 26th,, so he has five working days left before camp starts if that's the case.....

Clovis
Veteran

Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:24 pm

I would not be surprised if the two sides were closer together than people are giving credit for. Just because not much has been said there's not always mean not much has been done. Suh is a prime example of keeping the talk out of the media
Last edited by Clovis on Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dispatched
Veteran

Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:44 pm

I've no idea what AD's reps want. Apparently a lot! What I don't want is what was first reported way back when, a clause allowing AD an out after 2 years. How dumb would that be. If he'd signed 2 years ago it seems to me he would have been that much closer to a second, no third contract. I don't think his reps are doing him right. Being the highest paid is momentary bling. Getting the most over your career is smart business.

Clovis
Veteran

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:59 am

Clovis wrote:
I would not be surprised if the two sides were closer together than people are giving credit for. Just because not much has been said does not always mean not much has been done. Suh is a prime example of keeping the talk out of the media

rong
Veteran

Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:57 pm

Clovis wrote:
I would not be surprised if the two sides were closer together than people are giving credit for. Just because not much has been said there's not always mean not much has been done. Suh is a prime example of keeping the talk out of the media
Agreed, a Wednesday announcement should be in order.

clevelandrams
Veteran

Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:11 pm

oh god.. yeah like theres really a problem lol. they are just prolonging the drama. he'll be a Ram regardless.
whether he is or not ,theyll still win.

UK Rams Fan
Starter

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:00 am

I've got a question..

If a deal isn't done and the Rams opt for the cheaper option of going down the route of retaining his services via the FT, what happens if Donald isn't happy with what he could potentially earn via the Franchise Tag next season 2019/20 and doesn't sign it?

Does he simply just sit out the entire season unpaid?

I know no player in their right mind would just give up $15m approx., but like 69 said? It just appears the Rams are in the driving seat here and have Donald right where they want him.

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:57 am

UK Rams Fan wrote:
I've got a question..

If a deal isn't done and the Rams opt for the cheaper option of going down the route of retaining his services via the FT, what happens if Donald isn't happy with what he could potentially earn via the Franchise Tag next season 2019/20 and doesn't sign it?

I know no player in their right mind would just give up $15m approx., but like 69 said? It just appears the Rams are in the driving seat here and have Donald right where they want him.
He is not going to sit out the whole season, because if he does, he loses that money plus fines,,,
and the RAMs still control his rights....

He is not going to make the same kind of money any where else beside playing in the NFL....

So I wouldn't worry so much,,,,,

RamsFan1966
Veteran

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:01 pm

69RamFan wrote:
UK Rams Fan wrote:
I've got a question..

He is not going to sit out the whole season, because if he does, he loses that money plus fines,,,

He is not going to make the same kind of money any where else beside playing in the NFL....

I sure am hopeful it doesn’t go the FT route though. I don’t have the numbers in front of me to back this up, but it seems the players that go thru the FT route are very unhappy and turn to leave thru FA or get traded down the road.

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:51 pm

RamsFan1966 wrote:
69RamFan wrote:
UK Rams Fan wrote:
I've got a question..

I sure am hopeful it doesn’t go the FT route though. I don’t have the numbers in front of me to back this up, but it seems the players that go thru the FT route are very unhappy and turn to leave thru FA or get traded down the road.
Well so far we haven't heard any bad leaks from either our front office or from Donald,,,
So that should tell you,,, they are close to a contract....

With the Steelers and Bell, all you heard was bad news....

Even with tagging TruJ last year and Joyner this year...
You really haven't heard any bad feelings with these players....

So I give the front office/Coaching staff some good credit in negotiating with our players...

toast49
Veteran

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:58 pm

69RamFan wrote:
RamsFan1966 wrote:
69RamFan wrote:

Well so far we haven't heard any bad leaks from either our front office or from Donald,,,

So I give the front office/Coaching staff some good credit in negotiating with our players...
You've been telling us Donald and the front office have worked this out. And yet you know nothing.

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:00 pm

toast49 wrote:
69RamFan wrote:
RamsFan1966 wrote:

You've been telling us Donald and the front office have worked this out. And yet you know nothing.
I haven't been telling anyone they have it worked out...
All I said, it should tell you that they should be close to a contract agreement since you don't here any negative feed back from Donald like you hear from Bell,,,, use your common sense....
Oh wait, you don't have any, since you think AD is going to sit out a year... :lol: :lol: :lol:

He could actually go into this season without a contract extension and still be negotiating,,,
But if they don't sign a contract, then he'll go into 2019 season being tagged....

Clovis
Veteran

Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:08 am

^^^^ I believe it's a "mindset". Some people look for what could go wrong and some people look for what could go right. There's been no news with AD and the RAMS. Is that a bad sign? I don't think it is. There was no news about Cooks or Suh either. RAMS players seem happy to be RAMS. I think AD will show up on or before Aug 8 ready to play football.

CierraRam
Veteran

Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:26 am

All I know is the more work people named Brockers, Suh and Donald have together, the worse the news gets for opposing backfields. So you know what I am hoping for in all of this.

RamsChamps2018
Starter

Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:07 pm

NN1Badboy wrote:
Donald is proving he is a "NOT WE BUT ME" type of guy. He also is rolling the dice big time because if he sustains a career ending injury he is going to be up the creek without the proverbial paddle. That is an awful lot of cash he is gambling with, when he could agree to terms and have like 60 million guaranteed!

toast49
Veteran

Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:20 pm

69RamFan wrote:
toast49 wrote:
69RamFan wrote:

All I said, it should tell you that they should be close to a contract agreement since you don't here any negative feed back from Donald like you hear from Bell,,,, use your common sense....
Oh wait, you don't have any, since you think AD is going to sit out a year... :lol: :lol: :lol:

He could actually go into this season without a contract extension and still be negotiating,,,
But if they don't sign a contract, then he'll go into 2019 season being tagged....
Donald won't report without his garaunteed money like I told you again and again.

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:05 am

toast49 wrote:
69RamFan wrote:
toast49 wrote:

Donald won't report without his garaunteed money like I told you again and again.
No,,, you said he'll sit out the season....
I said he won't miss the season,,,
cause he not gonna piss away 7mil out the window and still be under obligation with the RAMs
He'll report before the 8th of Aug...

toast49
Veteran

Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:55 pm

69RamFan wrote:
toast49 wrote:
69RamFan wrote:

cause he not gonna piss away 7mil out the window and still be under obligation with the RAMs
I disagree, Donald will not report by Aug. 8th.

toast49
Veteran

Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:24 pm

69RamFan wrote:
toast49 wrote:
69RamFan wrote:

What time on Aug. 8th do you believe he will report? I want to set my watch.

D-GenerationX
Veteran

Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:53 am

I question if he reports by August 8th. He seems dug in.

Rate this topic