Cooper Kupp? Convince me

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
Clovis
Veteran
Posts: 2009
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:59 am

Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:30 am

I'm not a big Kupp fan. Not as much as others seem to be. Not as much as I like Woods and Cook.

I'm not bashing the guy at all, I'm being open minded here. Yes I've seen him do well and make plays but I've also seen him drop important passes. Maybe I'm just hyper focused on some mistakes?

Seems like Kupp is a focal point of the O and sometimes I wish those touches went elsewhere. We have speed and talent on this team and we keep feeding the ball to Kupp. Can someone explain why?



User avatar
CierraRam
Veteran
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:24 am
Location: Oregon

Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:38 am

Clovis wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:30 am
I'm not a big Kupp fan. Not as much as others seem to be. Not as much as I like Woods and Cook.

I'm not bashing the guy at all, I'm being open minded here. Yes I've seen him do well and make plays but I've also seen him drop important passes. Maybe I'm just hyper focused on some mistakes?

Seems like Kupp is a focal point of the O and sometimes I wish those touches went elsewhere. We have speed and talent on this team and we keep feeding the ball to Kupp. Can someone explain why?
Yes and No. You should be convinced he's the real deal because he gets open in the first place with precise route running and scheme. We know he isnt the fastest guy as a WR. His drops do seem to happen at the worst times. So maybe this is a anxiety problem with focus when he knows he has to be clutch. because the guy is money otherwise.



JerzyRam
Starter
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:17 am

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:25 am

He’s always open.



war room warrior
Starter
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:21 am

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:10 am

I don’t mean anything bad, but; how could you not like KUPP? Specially a Rams fan.
Last year as a rookie other wr’s were asking him where they were suppose to lineup.



rong
Veteran
Posts: 1371
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:14 pm

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:12 am

The way I think of it is this..a young QB needs a security blanket, especially early in his career, with the lack of a TE to fill that position, the job goes to Cooper. As he grows, Goff's got to spread that ball around more to the other receivers...and I think that will come....he fit's the bill for now



Timking124
Veteran
Posts: 775
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:27 am

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:27 am

Kupp is a great route runner, has good hands 6'2, and is getting paid less than a million I love the guy.

As far as why we scheme for him to get the ball is very simple, he is normally better than the 3rd/slot cornerback on every team. How many teams have 3 great corners?


Rams fan from Connecticut since 99

User avatar
bigklein
Veteran
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:06 am

Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:04 am

“Cooper Kupp. Cooper Kupp.”
—Marcus Peters miked up
9/10, Oakland



User avatar
Dick84
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7800
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:30 am

He does have more drops than I’d like.
But he is always open and is where he’s supposed to be and regularly picks up yardage after the catch.

I love him.


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

toast49
Veteran
Posts: 1730
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:26 am

Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:33 am

Cupp looks good on those sweeps as well. 5 catches, 2 rushes, 68 yards and a TD. Good production.



Ramsfan08ny
Veteran
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:30 pm

Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:34 am

Clovis wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:30 am
I'm not a big Kupp fan. Not as much as others seem to be. Not as much as I like Woods and Cook.

I'm not bashing the guy at all, I'm being open minded here. Yes I've seen him do well and make plays but I've also seen him drop important passes. Maybe I'm just hyper focused on some mistakes?

Seems like Kupp is a focal point of the O and sometimes I wish those touches went elsewhere. We have speed and talent on this team and we keep feeding the ball to Kupp. Can someone explain why?
Explain why? Because he produces. He moved the chains, and he scores. Why would you NOT like that? The offense would feel it if he wasn't in the field.



Clovis
Veteran
Posts: 2009
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:59 am

Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:37 am

war room warrior wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:10 am
I don’t mean anything bad, but; how could you not like KUPP?
I like Kupp but I'm not as high on the guy as some others. I just cringe a little at times.



NorCal RF
Veteran
Posts: 2046
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:11 pm

Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:04 am

Yes I think in the red zone he is at times too much of the focus of Goff's but that being said what's not to like about him. Hell of a draft pick who is going to be a big part of this offense for years. One could make the arguement best 3rd receiver in the league right now. I'm damn glad we have him and I'm not concerned at all about others not getting enough looks/touches. Kupp will have a huge role in Cooks and Woods having good seasons. You don't think the Raiders wished they had him after Monday night? We will again tomorrow be playing a team that he right now is as good as any AZ receiver. Not the past Fitz but the current Fitz.



rong
Veteran
Posts: 1371
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:14 pm

Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:19 am

Clovis wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:37 am
war room warrior wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:10 am
I don’t mean anything bad, but; how could you not like KUPP?
I like Kupp but I'm not as high on the guy as some others. I just cringe a little at times.
I think I know what you're sayin...I cringed on that drop for sure the other night



User avatar
LouisvilleRam
Veteran
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:18 am

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:20 pm

The Kupp is full of potential



User avatar
69RamFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6215
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:19 pm
Location: LA-CA By way of NY/NJ

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:29 pm

Timking124 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:27 am
Kupp is a great route runner, has good hands 6'2, and is getting paid less than a million I love the guy.

As far as why we scheme for him to get the ball is very simple, he is normally better than the 3rd/slot cornerback on every team. How many teams have 3 great corners?
In a lot of cases,,, how many teams have more than one great corner, besides us... and Jax….. and you're trying to mention three??? :D :D :D

Let alone which LBer is going to cover Gurley coming out the Back field..
Not too many...

We will be using a lot of 11 personnel this season than any other package such as in the 12 personnel, because of our 4 main skill players such as Gurley, Cooks, Woods, and Kupp. these are the top four skill players that will get the most touches and snaps.

Our main four skill players all have hands and speed for their positions,,, they all have something special about their abilities.....

both Higbee and Everett will be on the bottom feeders of our skill players as far as touches... to include WRs Reynolds, Thomas and now JoJo Natson….



User avatar
Dick84
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7800
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:02 pm

And Kupp’s blocking at the line of scrimmage is EXCEPTIONAL.


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

User avatar
69RamFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6215
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:19 pm
Location: LA-CA By way of NY/NJ

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:08 pm

Dick84 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:02 pm
And Kupp’s blocking at the line of scrimmage is EXCEPTIONAL.
Yep,,, that got Gurley to go to the outside untouched,,,,,,



Idaho_Ram
Starter
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:07 am

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:24 pm

This is what I see - nobody told Jared Goff to make Kupp his security blanket. It evolved because a) he's really sharp, b) he always seems to be in the right spot, c) he finds ways to get open. Translation, throwing his way is a HIGH percentage play for Goff.

Yeah the drop the other night was unfortunate...but Goff also made him turn back and try to catch it in a full backpedal. Just like the "drop" to beat Seattle last year would have been an AMAZING catch. It's not like it was right in the bread basket and he just flubbed it. Kupp is a perfect 3rd receiver for this group. And he is a consumate professional. Mature beyond his age.



User avatar
harkin
Pro-bowler
Posts: 2643
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:58 pm

Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:31 pm

but Goff also made him turn back and try to catch it in a full backpedal.
It was low too and hit Kupp just as his butt was bouncing off the turf, not the easiest grab.

To OP: Think of him this way, Belicheat would LOVE to have him.

He works hard on every play. He’s a good blocker. He finds ways to get open. Goff loves him and if anything favors him over other receivers to a fault, but that should decrease as he builds trust with Cooks and whomever finally steps up at TE.

And remember this, quite a few people here said Sammy Watkins was the answer and would immediately be Goff’s number one target last year because of his size and strength......but when we lost Woody for three games it was Kupp who stepped up and led the way while Sammy did worse each game.

Guy is an absolute gem. And he’s just getting started.



User avatar
NN1Badboy
Veteran
Posts: 1410
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:51 am
Location: Virginia

Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:11 pm

What’s not to like? Kid is smart, runs good routes, and has good hands. Sure he’s had a few drops but he’s still young. Overall he’s a good player and is only going to get better. Right now we don’t have any big receiving targets like a Calvin Johnson, but we have three really reliable guys. I’ll take that any day.

Cooks, Woods, Kupp is nearly as talented of a group as Bruce, Holt, and Hakim. They could end up being better if they stick around for a while.



Timking124
Veteran
Posts: 775
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:27 am

Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:18 pm

69RamFan wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:29 pm
Timking124 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:27 am
Kupp is a great route runner, has good hands 6'2, and is getting paid less than a million I love the guy.

As far as why we scheme for him to get the ball is very simple, he is normally better than the 3rd/slot cornerback on every team. How many teams have 3 great corners?
In a lot of cases,,, how many teams have more than one great corner, besides us... and Jax….. and you're trying to mention three??? :D :D :D

Let alone which LBer is going to cover Gurley coming out the Back field..
Not too many...

We will be using a lot of 11 personnel this season than any other package such as in the 12 personnel, because of our 4 main skill players such as Gurley, Cooks, Woods, and Kupp. these are the top four skill players that will get the most touches and snaps.

Our main four skill players all have hands and speed for their positions,,, they all have something special about their abilities.....

both Higbee and Everett will be on the bottom feeders of our skill players as far as touches... to include WRs Reynolds, Thomas and now JoJo Natson….
You are right. If you look back at the Raiders game and think how many times Robert Woods beat his man and Goff just missed him. If we get our TEs going there is absolutely no way to stop us. I still think Gerald Everett will have a good season this year (450+ yards)


Rams fan from Connecticut since 99

Raminec
Veteran
Posts: 1180
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:21 pm

Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:11 pm

Kupp runs great routes and is open because teams are focusing more on stopping Woods and Cooks who run the intermediate and deeper routes clearing space underneath for Kupp who usually has a better matchup. Rams move the chains taking what the defense gives them. If the safeties come up to take that away Rams will hit Woods or Cooks for bigger chunks. Defense has to pick their poison. Kupp is like Goff’s security blanket right now and seems to help him get in rhythm and settle in.



User avatar
Skyhook
Starter
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:44 pm
Location: Santa Monica

Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:48 pm

Kupp is the total professional. Other than a couple of bad drops, he is a huge part of this offense. Basically our possession TE.

I love Kupp and hope he's here for the next 10 years.

You don't come across too many WRs with his character and football intelligence.

You win with players like Cooper Kupp.


:R

RamsFanSince89
Bench Warmer
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:25 am
Location: Central California

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:42 pm

I can see your point. I just think you over notice his drops and under value his blocking & precise route running. Maybe you think his good catches are an expectation and drops seem to outweigh the good? Just a thought.



armyram
Veteran
Posts: 506
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:36 pm

Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:27 pm

He drops some passes, Goff misses some throws! But the connection between the two are more hit than miss



Post Reply
Rate this topic