Proud to be a Ram fan

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
NN1Badboy
Veteran

Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:11 am

Growing up in the 70’s and 80’s it was tough to be a Rams fan. As a kid I caught constant ribbing from my friends about how bad of a team the Rams were. And as much as I didn’t want to admit it, our team was awful. I can remember QB’s like Vince Ferragamo, Pat Haden, Jim Everett, Tony Banks, Deiter Brock and a few others. Aside from Ferragamo who took us to our first Super Bowl they were terrible. We had some pro bowl players from time to time, but the whole organization was pitiful. Georgia Frontiere let her minions run the organization into the ground and it seemed as if nothing would ever change. At least not in my lifetime.....

Then along came Stan Kroenke, a billionaire businessman. The part owner who decided to exercise his right to buy the team after Shahid Khan tried to buy the team from Frontiere’s kids after she passed. Now the rest is history. After bringing in Fisher to facilitate the move to Los Angeles, Stan got wise and kicked him to the curb. We went out and found the latest and greatest in head coaching talent. Sean McVay is a football genius. The man draws up plays that make everything so unpredictable. I used to be able to sit on my couch and guess the next play. And I did it pretty accurately. NOT ANYMORE!!!! This team is so talented and so fun to watch. It’s exciting to crack open a beer and sit down for a game on Sundays. Knowing that our team has a shot to win every game makes football exciting again. Now I know it’s hard to run the table in the NFL these days, and I don’t expect that to happen, but I do believe that we are going to be in every game this year until the very end. The future is bright, and I for one am really excited about what the future holds. It’s time for Rams fans to buckle up and hang on. It’s going to be a fun ride!!!!!

Iamtheram
Bench Warmer

Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:58 am

Very well said

SoCalRam78
Veteran

Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:34 am

NN1Badboy wrote:
Growing up in the 70’s and 80’s it was tough to be a Rams fan.
Rams were actually good back then

Fan since 80s

EastBayRamsFan
Starter

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:17 am

Very nice post NNBadBoy....I moved up North from LA to just east of Oakland, CA area in 1978. A Rams Fan die-hard but then the Raiders beat Minny for their first Superbowl and I had to endure the Kenny Stabler Raider fans then the Joe Montana/Steve Young Niner fans (worse) for the next 20 years. Your post came from the heart and reflects the sentiments of many of us. The 70' and 80's Rams were good, but never good enough.

We must be about the same age.

Back in LA for good and loving them Rams!

Utah Rams Fan
Veteran

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:32 am

No longer the same same ole sorry assed Rams.

Fan since 1969

Raminec
Veteran

Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:37 pm

SoCalRam78 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:34 am
NN1Badboy wrote:
Growing up in the 70’s and 80’s it was tough to be a Rams fan.
Rams were actually good back then
Exactly what I was thinking. In the 70's from 1973 through 1979 Rams were NFC West Champions. Those were some great Rams teams.

Claremontram
Veteran

Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:01 pm

Rams had great teams in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, they just couldn't put it all together.

NN: I agree with you that their current offense is really unpredictable. That makes watching these games so damn fun. It's not Fisher silly-ass trick plays; it's a consistent unpredictable offensive scheme that puts points on the board and drives DCs nuts.

Go Rams!

rong
Veteran

Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:06 pm

I've been watching them since the late 60's...the 70's were tough, great teams but always got beat in the playoffs, took alot of shit from my buddies...particularly the Cowboys friends...Ground Chuck killed me...was at the game in Buffalo when Pat Haden got hurt and Vince Farrgamo came in and took his place....this team has a different feel to it tho, for sure.....they are built for a run,...and I think that's exactly what we're gonna see....dynamic is how I would describe them

sloramfan
Starter

Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:44 pm

wait a fucking minute!!!

im glad i read a few replies as i scrolled down...

sorry my friend, the rams were pretty good through the '70's and 80's...

they started sucking after JR was canned, ...

maybe you weren't really there?

go rams

slo

sloramfan
Starter

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:04 pm

better check your memory..

1973 through 1979...playoffs every year..
1974 through 1979... NFC championship game 5 out of 6 years..went 4-1
1979 we went to the superbowl... damn, im like you, i almost forgot that one... lol

1983 through 1989 six playoff appearances...
twice we made it to the NFC championship, only to lose to the bears and 49's, both of those guys won the superbowl those years...

so ya... we sucked

go rams

slo

D-GenerationX
Veteran

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:16 pm

How the hell are we this many posts into the thread without a mention of the GSOT era?

NN1Badboy
Veteran

Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:18 am

DX, The GSOT was fun to watch. By seasons end the team we have now may equal or be even better. That’s where we really turned things around. We should have won two Super Bowls in three years. Had it not been for the cheating of Belichick, and a last second field goal we would have. But we can’t go back and change the past.

And as many have said on here, we did win some playoff games, but we never could make it to the game that counted until the 79 season when we got rocked by Pittsburgh. I guess I should have said late 70’s (since I became a fan in 1977 before I was even out of grade school). The 80’s were the worst. How many times did we lost twice to the 49ers annually?

Glad to see how far we have come. It’s exciting to watch McVay work his magic. .

Rate this topic