“The Professionals”

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
User avatar
Dick84
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7801
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:30 pm

That’s my nickname for Cooks, Kupp & Woods.

Show me a group of receivers who execute the position better than those three.

You can’t.
Last edited by Dick84 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

User avatar
69RamFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6215
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:19 pm
Location: LA-CA By way of NY/NJ

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:49 pm

As I stated in the past,,,,,

We have the best starting WRs trio group in the league...

Starting with Professionalism, then they have Hands, great Route running, two with speed, and one a chain mover...

Now we have a 4th WRs that has speed for our PR/KR....

and all of our players are pulling for each other....

As Colin Cowherd would say,,, from the coaching staff all the way down to our Kicker and punter.... we are loaded from top to bottom...

I want to say during the 99 season,,, we were a great team.... but I see this team could be greater in my eyes...

The 99 rams caught everyone off guard... No team was ready for that type of fire power back then... eventually the league caught up...

With this team... in a passing league,,, I feel we have the players that surpassed everyone.... with our high powered offense,,, and we build our high powered defense to Wades liking,,,

We have the best ST in the league,,, cause we have both the best Kicker in the league and Punter,,, and out of the blue, could be one of the best PR/KR... If he keeps that up from Sundays game...

I see no weakness in our team... period...

Our first two games,,, I feel you can call those our spring training games...

Now starting this Sunday,,, I feel we will come out blazing...

on all cylinders....



Henry VIII
Veteran
Posts: 2438
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:10 pm

Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:54 pm

Dick84 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:30 pm
That’s my nickname for Cooks, Kupp & Woods.

Show me a group of receivers who execute the position than those three.

You can’t.
You absolutely nailed it Dick84.


Get ready, little lady. Hell is coming to breakfast.

User avatar
NN1Badboy
Veteran
Posts: 1410
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:51 am
Location: Virginia

Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:36 am

I like it. After many years of searching since the Greatest Show on Turf days we finally have some respectability at WR.



crazy-legs
Veteran
Posts: 1851
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:49 am

Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:48 am

I too think we have the best set of WR's in the league. They all compliment each other too...

Cooks really sealed the deal. It's nice to actually have a deep threat instead of throwing it deep once a game in an attempt to keep a D honest. Cooks keeps the D honest from the opening snap which in turn opens up the middle for Woods and Kupp which also opens up shorter routes\slants. DB's have to cover all 3 areas of the field. That's why it will be hard to stop any facet of our passing attack. Play deep we'll beat you with screens to passes over the middle. Press us at the LOS and we'll go over the top. Freaking love what Snead\McVay have done...

Gurley is going to go off soon too. You just can't let Goff come in and shred you for 350 yards per contest. At some point teams will try to shut him down which will open up lanes for Gurley. This O has every piece of the puzzle. They all work hand in hand with each other and it's freaking awesome...


Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...

User avatar
Rampager66
Pro-bowler
Posts: 4662
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:46 pm

Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:29 am

With regards to the 99 GSOT and nobody saw them coming... everyone knew who they were 2 years later when they went 14-2 and were robbed of a 2nd SB in 3 years, Barely, by the cheating Patriots. Nobody else has come close since imo to that era of the team.
I'm OK with the nickname the OP has come up with but before we go on anointing them the 2nd coming, lets wait and see how it goes. Many things can happen at any time during games that can and have derailed seasons and careers. Fingers crossed that we get to see their real potential for a few years to come, and then we'll know for sure.



User avatar
Dick84
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7801
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:32 am

I’m just comparing them to who is in the league now and I chose my description carefully.
People can debate “the best” unit in the league because you have true superstars like Julio, Brown & Hopkins out there to tilt things.

My description is about their precision and dependability and effectiveness... in all aspects of WR play.

I don’t think another group matches them... and Cooks may be closer to a guy like Brown than we realized.


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

toast49
Veteran
Posts: 1730
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:26 am

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:39 am

The current group is very nice in Cupp, Woods, and Cooks. How they compare to Bruce, Holt, and Proehl only time will tell, but they have a long way to go.



User avatar
Dick84
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7801
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:41 am

toast49 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:39 am
The current group is very nice in Cupp, Woods, and Cooks. How they compare to Bruce, Holt, and Proehl only time will tell, but they have a long way to go.
Again... I never suggested comparing them.

Talking about the now.


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

Idaho_Ram
Starter
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:07 am

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:41 am

Love the nickname. It's the perfect description. There are individuals out there with more WOW factor. But as a whole, through the ups and downs of a game/season, the dynamics of a sideline/meeting room/locker room, the PR aspect...all of it, this is hands down the most desirable trio to have on your team.



User avatar
Dick84
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7801
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:47 am

Idaho_Ram wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:41 am
Love the nickname. It's the perfect description. There are individuals out there with more WOW factor. But as a whole, through the ups and downs of a game/season, the dynamics of a sideline/meeting room/locker room, the PR aspect...all of it, this is hands down the most desirable trio to have on your team.
That’s what I’m talking about... and, yes, their demeanor as well.
They are here to work.


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

toast49
Veteran
Posts: 1730
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:26 am

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:55 am

Let's wait until Cooks faces some adversity in this offense. Teams have been loading up on Gurley early, but the more sophisticated defenses will maybe try and take away Cooks by scheme, probably starting with the Vikings. If the Rams are winning but Cooks isn't getting his targets then let's see.



Idaho_Ram
Starter
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:07 am

Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:35 am

toast49 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:55 am
Let's wait until Cooks faces some adversity in this offense. Teams have been loading up on Gurley early, but the more sophisticated defenses will maybe try and take away Cooks by scheme, probably starting with the Vikings. If the Rams are winning but Cooks isn't getting his targets then let's see.
Fair, but I just don't see anything in BC that leads me to believe he would be disruptive in such a scenario. Certainly not compared to the other elite #1's in the league.



toast49
Veteran
Posts: 1730
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:26 am

Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:40 pm

Idaho_Ram wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:35 am
toast49 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:55 am
Let's wait until Cooks faces some adversity in this offense. Teams have been loading up on Gurley early, but the more sophisticated defenses will maybe try and take away Cooks by scheme, probably starting with the Vikings. If the Rams are winning but Cooks isn't getting his targets then let's see.
Fair, but I just don't see anything in BC that leads me to believe he would be disruptive in such a scenario. Certainly not compared to the other elite #1's in the league.
Ok



User avatar
Dick84
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7801
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:00 pm

But seriously... someone put these guys in dark suits, shades and some weaponry and take a picture.

"The Professionals"


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

User avatar
69RamFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6215
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:19 pm
Location: LA-CA By way of NY/NJ

Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:04 pm

Dick84 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:00 pm
But seriously... someone put these guys in dark suits, shades and some weaponry and take a picture.

"The Professionals"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can see that,,, and have this stern looking faces...… :D :D :D



Clovis
Veteran
Posts: 2009
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:59 am

Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:03 am

They do seem quite professional and methodical in their approach. Catch the ball, make the play, do it again.



User avatar
CierraRam
Veteran
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:24 am
Location: Oregon

Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:50 am

toast49 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:55 am
Let's wait until Cooks faces some adversity in this offense. Teams have been loading up on Gurley early, but the more sophisticated defenses will maybe try and take away Cooks by scheme, probably starting with the Vikings. If the Rams are winning but Cooks isn't getting his targets then let's see.
For one game Goff just showed he can beat you without Gurley getting 50 yards. I think that's what the Cards were betting on. That Goff couldnt do 4 quarters of Grade A football without making mistakes to the Cardinals advantage. That didnt happen. Why? Because the Rams have arguably the best starting 3 WR's in the game and the best receiving threat RB. The Cards and the rest of the league just got put on notice.... The Rams have it all, choose your poison to try and stop if you want because it wont matter.



User avatar
Safety Blitz
Veteran
Posts: 1683
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:07 pm

Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:21 pm

People keep saying Kupp is slow. Is he really? Slow? Always add YAC on every opportunity.

What strikes me about the Professionals is their high football IQs and their we first ethic.

The Professionals Rock!


"In McVay We Trust!"

toast49
Veteran
Posts: 1730
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:26 am

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:24 pm

I saw Watkins carry 4 players into the endzone for the Rams last year to score a touchdown. Then I've seen Cooks dive into the turf to avoid a hit this year. It's just opinion, but I'd rather have Watkins.



User avatar
harkin
Pro-bowler
Posts: 2643
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:58 pm

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:45 pm

I haven’t seen Cooks yet dog a route or fail to fight for a contested ball. I saw Sammy do both numerous times last season.

BC’s already leading the Rams’ receivers. He’s got 12 catches for 246 yards, 20 yards per catch. He seems as in sync with Goff as Woods and Kupp, if not more so.

When Woods missed three games last year Kupp took over and Sammy regressed each game.

If he wanted to stick around he would have tried harder.



User avatar
Dick84
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7801
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:13 pm

harkin wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:45 pm
I haven’t seen Cooks yet dog a route or fail to fight for a contested ball. I saw Sammy do both numerous times last season.

BC’s already leading the Rams’ receivers. He’s got 12 catches for 246 yards, 20 yards per catch. He seems as in sync with Goff as Woods and Kupp, if not more so.

When Woods missed three games last year Kupp took over and Sammy regressed each game.

If he wanted to stick around he would have tried harder.
^^


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

User avatar
CierraRam
Veteran
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:24 am
Location: Oregon

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:12 am

toast49 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:24 pm
I saw Watkins carry 4 players into the endzone for the Rams last year to score a touchdown. Then I've seen Cooks dive into the turf to avoid a hit this year. It's just opinion, but I'd rather have Watkins.
There was once two Ram receivers named Bruce and Holt who got what they could before hitting the turf to save themselves from unnecessary wear and tear. Both will be in the Hall of Fame.



Clovis
Veteran
Posts: 2009
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:59 am

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:42 am

CierraRam wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:12 am
toast49 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:24 pm
I saw Watkins carry 4 players into the endzone for the Rams last year to score a touchdown. Then I've seen Cooks dive into the turf to avoid a hit this year. It's just opinion, but I'd rather have Watkins.
There was once two Ram receivers named Bruce and Holt who got what they could before hitting the turf to save themselves from unnecessary wear and tear. Both will be in the Hall of Fame.
There's a certain level of confidence that comes when you know you've made your play and position yourself to make your next play. It's called "professionalism". In baseball they say "Don't try to hit a 5 run home run."

I would agree with toast that I like that 1 play by Watkins compared to that 1 play by Cooks but overall Cooks has shown to be an enormous upgrade over Watkins.



User avatar
harkin
Pro-bowler
Posts: 2643
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:58 pm

Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:02 am

I have no problem with any ball carrier fighting for extra yards, I love it, as long as they wrap that ball up and don’t get stripped.

I also love receivers you can count on every play delivering big time.

Here’s what PFF had to say about Cooks against the Cards:

“Cooks might not have found the end zone but he still had a huge day. He led all wide receivers with an average of 4.68 yards per route run on the afternoon, picking up 159 yards from 34 routes run. From the seven catchable passes thrown his way, he caught every single one.”



Post Reply
Rate this topic