Overreactng?

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
RamsForever
Starter

Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:48 pm

All of the guys here who thought those of us who expressed concerns--if not panic--about the Rams defense, were over reacting, wringing our hands, "never satisfied," should enjoy our 8-1 start, should shut up because Wade knows best, we'll, are you starting to believe we have a problem. Do you think we can beat a play-off team with this quality of defense. Once again, we barely beat the Seahawks, who are better than their record, but not a post-season team. I can't believe what's happening with our d given the pre-season expectations.

armyram
Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:06 pm

Our defense is terrible... crazy thing is they step up at important times... is that bad coaching or player execution?
Suh has been getting blown off the line but did have some contributions...that personal foul was purely frustration
AD was right to be frustrated, he was being held... when they started looking at that crap, he started making sacks, the refs suck! Wish he would of been smarter on the personal foul when they decked him on the sidelines but that would of pissed me off too
Fowler made up for his multiple mistakes, that’s ok, still getting situated
Peters wasn’t targeted much, either his coverage was better or Wilson just didn’t look that way. Did get that penalty on the Wilson scramble but it’s hard to cover that long, should of been a sack
Run issues, big run stopping issues... and
Kupp, injury prone, hate to say that! Love the kid

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:48 pm

I think fighting for a win with the week they have is pretty fucking impressive.

You don’t?

Okay.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

LouisvilleRam
Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Dick84 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:48 pm
I think fighting for a win with the week they have is pretty fucking impressive.

You don’t?

Okay.
Last edited by LouisvilleRam on Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LouisvilleRam
Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:59 pm

RamsForever wrote:
All of the guys here who thought those of us who expressed concerns--if not panic--about the Rams defense, were over reacting, wringing our hands, "never satisfied," should enjoy our 8-1 start, should shut up because Wade knows best, we'll, are you starting to believe we have a problem. Do you think we can beat a play-off team with this quality of defense. Once again, we barely beat the Seahawks, who are better than their record, but not a post-season team. I can't believe what's happening with our d given the pre-season expectations.
Don't worry according to the old guard on here Wade is just toying with everybody and he's going to put together his great defensive schemes these last 6 or 7 games.National media and everyone else is surprised how bad our defense is but when we point it out we're just whiney bandwagon fans.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:13 pm

LouisvilleRam wrote:
RamsForever wrote:
Don't worry according to the old guard on here Wade is just toying with everybody and he's going to put together his great defensive schemes these last 6 or 7 games.National media and everyone else is surprised how bad our defense is but when we point it out we're just whiney bandwagon fans.
Yeah... the Rams D is bad at the moment.
But.. each game, there are glimpses.

To win, you have to make plays. Plays like Fowler made.

Oh.. and they came up with the stop at the end... the Seahawks didn’t run out of time.

Am I happy with the D? No.

Do I think people suggesting wholesale changes are RIDICULOUS???

Absolutely.

3-24-16

Raminec
Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:18 pm

LouisvilleRam wrote:
RamsForever wrote:
Defense has had its share of troubles but nonetheless the Rams are 9-1. Wade is working to incorporate an edge presence in Fowler and has been toying with a secondary that has missed one of their top corners for about 7 weeks. Factor in the fact that the Rams have yet to have their bye week which will be valuable for resting some of the banged up players and possibly getting Talib back for the last 5 games. Saints hung 45 at home on the Rams and then they dropped 51 on Cincinnati on the road. Rams have an outstanding offense and they have 8 weeks to round their defense into a complimentary defense. When you have one of the top offensive teams in the league you don’t need a top 10 defense to win football games. I think Wade has the talent and with Talib’s return they will have enough defense to be a Super Bowl contender.

LouisvilleRam
Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:56 pm

Dick84,Raminec and Henry VII I love that you guys stay positive and I hope you and the Rams defense prove all of us fans so worried about the defense wrong, I just keep waiting week after week for them to put it together,I will say they do seem to make big plays with the game on the line.With all the moves we made in the offseason I thought teams would have a hard time running the ball and passing it but so far this year they've had a pretty easy time at both.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:06 pm

I thought they’d be better too. No doubt!

I just feel that they will keep getting better. Today was kinda weird. Fucking penalties made it a game, imo.
And I think at least a couple were dubious.

3-24-16

Idaho_Ram
Starter

Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:27 pm

I don't think anyone is "happy" with the defense...but I'm darn sure happy with this win. Seattle is now to us as we were to them during the Fishers years, never an easy out. Not thrilled with 31 points allows and million rushing yards...but this is the NFL in 2018. The Patriots with their genius head coach just allowed 34 points to a very average Tenn team. The stat that matters most is the number under the W column.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:03 pm

Idaho_Ram wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:27 pm
I don't think anyone is "happy" with the defense...but I'm darn sure happy with this win. Seattle is now to us as we were to them during the Fishers years, never an easy out. Not thrilled with 31 points allows and million rushing yards...but this is the NFL in 2018. The Patriots with their genius head coach just allowed 34 points to a very average Tenn team. The stat that matters most is the number under the W column.
Amen

3-24-16

Henry VIII
Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:23 pm

Look its absolutely obvious now to most, the NFL is now a high scoring league, strong defensive teams and low scoring games are out, this has to be a league directive bank on it for sure with all the bad calls and non calls against defenses throughout the league. It's in the NFL's best interest i.e. to keep scores high = more interest and protesters on the down low = less headaches.That's why there really isn't a dominant defense or team like in years past. It's sad but that's just the reality right now.

Get ready, little lady. Hell is coming to breakfast.

NorCal RF
Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:34 pm

LouisvilleRam wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:56 pm
Dick84,Raminec and Henry VII I love that you guys stay positive and I hope you and the Rams defense prove all of us fans so worried about the defense wrong, I just keep waiting week after week for them to put it together,I will say they do seem to make big plays with the game on the line.With all the moves we made in the offseason I thought teams would have a hard time running the ball and passing it but so far this year they've had a pretty easy time at both.
Fine the D isn’t what we thought it would be. McVay and Wade for now made the wrong decisions on the young LB Corp which is the damn problem with this team plus Barron. They could actually cost us a Super Bowl appearance(don’t think they will). But to come on here everyday and continue to state such when nothing is going to change this year well is pointless. And again point proven again today you are not beating this team unless you score over 30 with our offense and again another team could not out score us. May just be the reason why we are 9-1, may just be the reason why we will end up 13-3 / 14-2 hell maybe 12-4, may just be the reason why we will have a first round bye, and may just be the reason why again unless a team scores 30+ against us in those two playoff games why this team will end up in the Super Bowl. Even with the defensive flaws this team is damn hard to beat and it continues to be proven week after week. But hey let’s continue to focus on the negative.

Oh by the way our D probably won’t look great again against KC. Still going to take 35+ to beat us and I guarantee we still have more play makers on D then their D does.

NorCal RF
Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:35 pm

Add Hill to the problem. But someone named Talib I heard is coming back.........

NorCal RF
Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:39 pm

Henry VIII wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:23 pm
Look its absolutely obvious now to most, the NFL is now a high scoring league, strong defensive teams and low scoring games are out, this has to be a league directive bank on it for sure with all the bad calls and non calls against defenses throughout the league. It's in the NFL's best interest i.e. to keep scores high = more interest and protesters on the down low = less headaches.That's why there really isn't a dominant defense or team like in years past. It's sad but that's just the reality right now.
As Steve Young said just this week you keep an offense around 30 you have a good chance of winning if your QB is Brees, Brady, Goff......... Sad the league has come to this but pretty damn accurate.

Raminec
Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:06 pm

Dick84 wrote:

I just feel that they will keep getting better. Today was kinda weird. Fucking penalties made it a game, imo.
Today everything seemed out of sync early. The early penalties hurt and extended two Seahawks scoring drives. I believe that the Rams team is pretty worn down at this point of the season. I saw some good things today with Fowler and I think he will help down the stretch. It seemed that the Rams were playing their safeties deeper to avoid big chunk plays but it prevented them from helping a lot in run support. I know I maybe overly optimistic but the addition of Fowler and with the return of Talib and the MUCH needed rest the bye week will bring will allow this Rams defense to prepare for the stretch run. This defense doesn’t have to be the 85 bears defense but rather a similar unit like the 99 Rams Defense. Play complimentary football to one of the leagues best offenses. I think that’s possible.

RamsForever
Starter

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:13 am

Raminec wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:06 pm
Dick84 wrote:

Today everything seemed out of sync early. The early penalties hurt and extended two Seahawks scoring drives. I believe that the Rams team is pretty worn down at this point of the season. I saw some good things today with Fowler and I think he will help down the stretch. It seemed that the Rams were playing their safeties deeper to avoid big chunk plays but it prevented them from helping a lot in run support. I know I maybe overly optimistic but the addition of Fowler and with the return of Talib and the MUCH needed rest the bye week will bring will allow this Rams defense to prepare for the stretch run. This defense doesn’t have to be the 85 bears defense but rather a similar unit like the 99 Rams Defense. Play complimentary football to one of the leagues best offenses. I think that’s possible.
The problem is our d isn't anywhere close to the '99 d. God forbid, we need "The Tackle 2" to get to the SB. This d needs to be a whole lot better to be as good as the 99 crew was. Hope it happens.

RamsForever
Starter

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:21 am

LouisvilleRam wrote:
RamsForever wrote:
Exactly. You're Chicken Little or bed wetter or not a real fan if you take your team or part of it to task for consistently poor play. I'm amazed at the excuses guys throw out for the d's performance. "A lot of the points came because of penalties that extended drives." No shite. Poor defenses give up yardage and points due to penalties because they're undisciplined or because they can't do their job without holding someone. Or "a lot of the run yardage came in passing situations." I guess we'll be fine as long as offensive coordinators don't call a run play in an obvious passing situation. Fortunately for us, OC's probably won't be looking at the tape of the two Seahag's games. Amazing.

brasilrams
Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:30 am

RamsForever wrote:
LouisvilleRam wrote:
RamsForever wrote:
Exactly. You're Chicken Little or bed wetter or not a real fan if you take your team or part of it to task for consistently poor play. I'm amazed at the excuses guys throw out for the d's performance. "A lot of the points came because of penalties that extended drives." No shite. Poor defenses give up yardage and points due to penalties because they're undisciplined or because they can't do their job without holding someone. Or "a lot of the run yardage came in passing situations." I guess we'll be fine as long as offensive coordinators don't call a run play in an obvious passing situation. Fortunately for us, OC's probably won't be looking at the tape of the two Seahag's games. Amazing.
some of the excuses are pretty pathetic I have to agree . the thing is some guys are really optimistic about this defense , they do think by playoff time they will be ready . I am not pessimist but i am REALIST , I think they will not . At the end , we will see if I am being too pessimistic or they are being too optimistic

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:04 am

I’m a realist.

The Rams are 9-1.

That’s real.

3-24-16

RAMFAN71
Bench Warmer

Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:15 am

AT 9-1, we are finding ways to win. Not sure about the D going forward. we have holes, and thats just it. Talib should help, but wont be the salvation. Fowler now looks like a menace. Peters still looks like- he just quits on plays and just doesn't want to hit anyone. Does anyone else see this? He just looks at guys run out of bounds. Not a huge deal, just can't figure what the F he is thinking? Looks like he doesn't want to work. He had a better game, but I just don't think he has it all together in his head. The LB core need to stop the run, and they didn't. But we won the game, and got stops when needed, and points when needed. So still positive. You can't be upset at 9-1. Period.

"60% OF THE TIME........IT WORKS EVERY TIME"

Idaho_Ram
Starter

Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:20 am

RamsForever wrote:
Again, nobody is saying the defense is playing great. Yes, I think we are all disappointed that teams putting up 30 on us seems to be the norm.

But look around. NONE of the top teams are shutting people down. The question in the OP was "do you think we will beat playoff teams with this defense?" The answer is YES, and we have already several times this year. In fact we've won every game except one, which took place against the hottest team in the hardest place to play at the moment. And even then we stormed back from 21 down and were a play away from getting the ball back for the go ahead score. Side note, THAT team gave up 48 points to a non-playoff team with a career back-up at QB to open their season.

So - Overreacting? Yes. The Rams are for real and will make noise in January.

brasilrams
Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:44 am

Dick84 wrote:
I’m a realist.

The Rams are 9-1.

That’s real.
It is also real this defense ranks 24th against the run. It is also real if they don't improve we are not going to the super bowl ( let alone win it). You guys keep saying it is gonna get better by playoff time. It is week 11 and I am still waiting.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:47 am

brasilrams wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:44 am
Dick84 wrote:
I’m a realist.

The Rams are 9-1.

That’s real.
It is also real this defense ranks 24th against the run. It is also real if they don't improve we are not going to the super bowl ( let alone win it). You guys keep saying it is gonna get better by playoff time. It is week 11 and I am still waiting.
Shrug.
Y’know... I’d love for them to win a Super Bowl, but it may/May not happen.

They made enough plays yesterday to win.

That’s real.

3-24-16

brasilrams
Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:47 am

RAMFAN71 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:15 am
AT 9-1, we are finding ways to win. Not sure about the D going forward. we have holes, and thats just it. Talib should help, but wont be the salvation. Fowler now looks like a menace. Peters still looks like- he just quits on plays and just doesn't want to hit anyone. Does anyone else see this? He just looks at guys run out of bounds. Not a huge deal, just can't figure what the F he is thinking? Looks like he doesn't want to work. He had a better game, but I just don't think he has it all together in his head. The LB core need to stop the run, and they didn't. But we won the game, and got stops when needed, and points when needed. So still positive. You can't be upset at 9-1. Period.
Atrocious coverage from Peters is not his only problem. I wish it was. He can't tackle and sometimes just like you said, he shows no effort at all. It is almost like he doesn't wanna get his uniform dirty. But I believe in Snead / mcvay, they will release him in the off season. That is the only move to do regarding him.

Rate this topic