Players all hint fisher was not Tough Enough

General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Uplandram2

ADonaldBeast
Starter

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:15 am

It seems pretty clear when you hear the player interviews after the game. They all say they need a new culture change. And most say they need a coach is going to be tough on them.

Rammer
Veteran

Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:56 am

Agree about the needed culture change but the players should be looking in the mirror. Fisher was too easy and treated them like they were self motivated professionals. They aren't.

Commish
Veteran

Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:28 am

ADonaldBeast wrote:It seems pretty clear when you hear the player interviews after the game. They all say they need a new culture change. And most say they need a coach is going to be tough on them.
Well, plenty of the Rams' veteran players who failed to provide leadership this year, especially in not 'leading by example,' almost certainly won't be around to experience having a hopefully much more demanding head coach, will they?

"What do you mean I've been released? All I needed was a kick in the butt so I'd be motivated to make a true effort!"

"You couldn't motivate yourself, so you've been kicked to the curb, loser!"

Jeff Fisher totally sabotaged this team, didn't he...?? :? :x :?:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish

McCOY: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

rong
Starter

Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:47 am

I agree on both counts Commish, the culture obviously needs changing but these so called veterans were useless in their leadership role...this was truly a ship with no sails or rudder.

Henry VIII
Veteran

Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:50 pm

We all know that Fisher never held anyone accountable, players or coaches let alone himself. Stan absolutely better get this next hire right or this Franchise will be set back for another 10 years and his palace will be empty. This locker room is missing what the great old Rams teams had, what very few teams have now like the Patriots, Denver, Raiders had when Al was alive or Redskins under Allen and Gibbs, this is a team sport and you play and die for your team and your city not for yourself, you play with pride and love of the sport you play for the guy next to you. Fisher screwed this Franchise over so bad with his boys club attitude hiring all his little coaching buddies and loser son, it will take a very strong coach to bring us back to the top. But I'm hopeful Stan will get this right and our new GM and Head Coach will set things straight. Go Rams Pride!

Get ready, little lady. Hell is coming to breakfast.

HighDesertRam
Bench Warmer

Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:55 pm

I think you get a glimpse of the current Ram "culture " when the team gets embarrassed , loses every week and you look at the sidelines where the players are laughing and dancing .
Meanwhile we're all pissed and they laugh all the way to the bank

Classic Rams
Veteran

Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:11 pm

Oh Fisher's really tough on scrub players, like the guy he let go on hard knocks during the "7-9 bullshit" tirade. "Are the cameras rolling? Okay... 'That's 7-9 bullshit!'" :lol:

armyram
Bench Warmer

Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:11 pm

HighDesertRam wrote:I think you get a glimpse of the current Ram "culture " when the team gets embarrassed , loses every week and you look at the sidelines where the players are laughing and dancing .
Yep, that's exactly the way it is!

rammingithard
Bench Warmer

Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:20 pm

the penalties and lack of discipline clearly show haha. Whenever the offense seems to gain some sort of rhythm, there's always a drive killing penalty or when the rams are on defense in a tight game, boneheaded penalites extend the opponents drive. Glad Fisher is gone, he needed to go, Please God, make the next coach a good one

TBUX
Veteran

Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:23 pm

Tell me how a coach is making players commit penalties? love to hear it. You say they don't know better? You say they were not told not to do those things? be real.. How about put it on the players. They know better, and still commit them. Most think Carroll is a good HC and look at their penalties the last 4 years.

NorCal RF
Veteran

Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:36 pm

TBUX wrote:Tell me how a coach is making players commit penalties? love to hear it. You say they don't know better? You say they were not told not to do those things? be real.. How about put it on the players. They know better, and still commit them. Most think Carroll is a good HC and look at their penalties the last 4 years.
Making players commit penalties....... No.

Tolerating such when all said and done.......... Yes.

Listen I admit poor comparison but if I have a High School player who isn't running the bases properly after addressing it over and over again during practice then his ass is going to end up with me on the bench period. His inability, no matter what the reason, to do it correctly is at some point going to cost us games and as HC I can't tolerate such period.

Rampager66
Pro-bowler

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:08 pm

The high school baseball thing is also a bad comparison. As you are not straddled with, Big $$$, a salary cap , a CBA or a players union, etc... things that influence many decisions in the NFL.

99rams
Starter

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:25 pm

What I did not expect from FISHER was the deer in the headlights look throughout camp, post game and post season interviews. Maybe the RELO took the biggest toll on FIsh. He always looked lost when each season was unraveling and his inability to look anyone in the eye seemed out of character for him but as I said, he seemed lost at the end of every season, especially this one.

Maybe it was the continued need (job requirement) to the lie to everyone, the fans, the players, the press, about the RELO that he now admits knowing about back in 2012 Maybe it was the pressure of trying to hold together a team too young to manage and keeping them the youngest team in the NFL year after year. That’s by design folks. He may not have chosen to lose certain FA or not sign others but the youth movement which has never matured into a veteran team over 5 years is the biggest reason for the same mental mistakes again and again.

He was the veteran HC, enough so to tie the NFL record for losses yet he seemed so uneasy and under pressure he never found his groove. I’m not talking about job security. His job was never threatened from what I know until Stan had finally had enough. More a move motivated by embarrassment than trying to build a SB franchise. Jack Del Rio just lost his All Pro QB a week before the playoffs and now lost his backup and is down to Conner Cook. He was relaxed, joking and obviously comfortable with the challenge at hand thanking Carr for getting them this far and going into the playoffs with every intention of being competitive but we all know the odds of that. Conner lost a fumble and looked very much like Goff in his first game Quarterbacking the Raiders. Either Fisher really knew the huge mistake he made with Goff or he never really saw any of this coming. I think it was the latter, just hoping things would work out but it will be a long time before the Rams are competitive again. The Fisher era is over but the legacy will be here a LONG, LONG time.

NorCal RF
Veteran

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:31 pm

Rampager66 wrote:The high school baseball thing is also a bad comparison. As you are not straddled with, Big $$$, a salary cap , a CBA or a players union, etc... things that influence many decisions in the NFL.
As I stated not a great comparison. That being said Bill Bellicheck doesn't seem to have a lot of issues with benching, cutting, or trading players mid season. Is he not straddled with the same issues?

jerrythepro
Bench Warmer

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:45 pm

Not only not tough enough, clearly not smart enough to coach in today's league. This cat was stuck in the 80's, including the moustache. So glad he's gone

Commish
Veteran

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:54 pm

99rams wrote:Either Fisher really knew the huge mistake he made with Goff or he never really saw any of this coming. I think it was the latter, just hoping things would work out but it will be a long time before the Rams are competitive again. The Fisher era is over but the legacy will be here a LONG, LONG time.
Ahhhh, I have to disagree on this point, since AFAIC our team overall has much better playing personnel than was demonstrated this season--I'd venture that at least 80% of the Rams' issues were poor discipline/leadership from Jeff Fisher and inept coaching on "O," especially by Rob Boras and Paul Boudreau.

As for Fisher's legacy lasting "a LONG, LONG time," in the NFL superior coaching leadership/organization and several well-considered free-agency signings and/or draft selections can turn a struggling team around quite quickly, especially if there's a core of potentially solid players to build upon.

IMHO you've gone beyond legitimate disappointment and skepticism into deep pessimism and even defeatism RE the Rams... :roll: :? :|

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish
Last edited by Commish on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

McCOY: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

Rampager66
Pro-bowler

Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:42 am

NorCal RF wrote:
Rampager66 wrote:The high school baseball thing is also a bad comparison. As you are not straddled with, Big $$$, a salary cap , a CBA or a players union, etc... things that influence many decisions in the NFL.
As I stated not a great comparison. That being said Bill Bellicheck doesn't seem to have a lot of issues with benching, cutting, or trading players mid season. Is he not straddled with the same issues?
No hes on to of his game as he is firmly entrenched in one of the leagues most sound franchises, a HOF career and organizational achievements which he deserves alot of the credit for.
However I wonder how he would have done thru the Rams relo and accompanying circumstances, these last couple years. Or any other coach, for that matter.
We can kid ourselves but..
Another unfair comparison ;)

crazy-legs
Veteran

Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:54 am

HighDesertRam wrote:I think you get a glimpse of the current Ram "culture " when the team gets embarrassed , loses every week and you look at the sidelines where the players are laughing and dancing .
+1

I've written here several times that I'm sick of seeing Tavon get up after being tackled for little gain laughing and smiling all the way back to the huddle. And that's when we're down 20+ points...

We need a coach that will come in and kick ass and take names...

Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...

RamPower
Veteran

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:07 am

TBUX wrote:Tell me how a coach is making players commit penalties? love to hear it. You say they don't know better? You say they were not told not to do those things? be real.. How about put it on the players. They know better, and still commit them. Most think Carroll is a good HC and look at their penalties the last 4 years.
Fisher's gone for a reason. Who around the League was in disagreement with his being fired? He had a lot of draft picks in his 5 years and the Rams remained…well, worst team in the League currently says a lot.

Procedure calls and defensive offside (for example) is coaching. It's practice and discipline, so with that we'll have to agree to disagree. It's about players being prepared (coached). If they aren't capable of executing and being prepared, why are they on the field? Who chose these players as well? (complete rebuild).

Penalties of the emotional sort (aggressive/physical play), sure, that's not all bad…but look, when a team has the worse offense in the League (again), one penalty can be a drive killer. Other teams can blow right by some mistakes. The Rams do a lot of punting for many reasons, poorly coached play certainly among them…poorly coached was probably the biggest reason IMO.

It's always hard to say what degree is player talent and what part is coaching, but coaching was a big big problem with the Rams. Playbook, game plan and execution. If it didn't matter much, there wouldn't be so much concern/discussion regarding our next HC ;)
Last edited by RamPower on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

TBUX
Veteran

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:09 am

I also think his time has passed here- no issue with him being gone. I just think people put more on him than is justified- he had his issues- mostly with who he put in place on the O side of the ball, but some of the things put on him is just untrue and unwarranted made up BS imo.

RamPower
Veteran

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:15 am

TBUX wrote:I also think his time has passed here- no issue with him being gone. I just think people put more on him than is justified- he had his issues- mostly with who he put in place on the O side of the ball, but some of the things put on him is just untrue and unwarranted made up BS imo.
Agree.

The natives are restless of course (been a looooooong stretch of losing years). Natural-born whiners and Kool-Aid drinkers alike are all pretty fed up with this shit-show. Winning is all that will help at this point as the finger pointing keeps gaining traction I'm afraid...

TBUX
Veteran

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:18 am

No need to discuss Fisher anymore IMO- hes gone now- time to move on. Some thought as soon as he was gone things would be way better- they see that isn't the case. Doesn't matter now what anyone's opinion of him is- now lets just see who we end up with and move on. Whats the point of Fisher bashing now? Lets all hope we get a good HC here and we fix our issues- mostly Oline.

lakeram
Bench Warmer

Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:44 pm

How about Belichick trading players when they don't follow team rules or Nick Saban sendIng players to the showers for taking cheap shots.
Two of the best coaches in any sport.
That's how you keep athletes in line.

NorCal RF
Veteran

Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:59 am

Rampager66 wrote:
NorCal RF wrote:
No hes on to of his game as he is firmly entrenched in one of the leagues most sound franchises, a HOF career and organizational achievements which he deserves alot of the credit for.
However I wonder how he would have done thru the Rams relo and accompanying circumstances, these last couple years. Or any other coach, for that matter.
We can kid ourselves but..
Another unfair comparison ;)
So you are saying Bellicheck isn't "straddled" by the things you mentioned? Just asking.

I think Fisher was a bit " entrenched" don't you think after 20+ years as a HC as well as going into his 5th year with this team.

Other replies in this thread seem to suggest that those "straddled" issues shouldn't come into play.............

oregon ram
Starter

Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:16 am

You can't be everyone's best friend and be the boss. If you are, you hands are tied and you can't make the hard decisions.

Rex Ryan is another example, pretty much the same results, but everyone loves him. GO RAMS :R