Scratch Sean Payton off the list

General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams

Ramborumble
Veteran

Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:07 pm

From rotoworld.com

When asked about his future in New Orleans, Saints coach Sean Payton said, "I definitely plan on being back here."
Payton has four years remaining on his contract and plans on "honoring that." It was natural to think Payton might want a change of scenery with six head coaching jobs open and New Orleans coming off its third straight 7-9 finish. But the Saints still have Drew Brees and also have an exiting young receiver in Michael Thomas. In the end, that was more appealing than starting over somewhere else. Payton has been with the Saints since 2006.

Bakoramfan
Starter

Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:43 pm

If we had 4 7-9 seasons we would be calling for his firing!

Rhino Ram
Veteran

Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:22 am

PhxRam wrote:
Ramborumble wrote:From rotoworld.com

When asked about his future in New Orleans, Saints coach Sean Payton said, "I definitely plan on being back here."
Payton has four years remaining on his contract and plans on "honoring that." It was natural to think Payton might want a change of scenery with six head coaching jobs open and New Orleans coming off its third straight 7-9 finish. But the Saints still have Drew Brees and also have an exiting young receiver in Michael Thomas. In the end, that was more appealing than starting over somewhere else. Payton has been with the Saints since 2006.
Payton says "he" plans on being back. Management might have other ideas.

Fisher planned on being back with the Rams next year as well.
Good point, what'd we expect him to say? "I'm outta here!"

Ram Man
Starter

Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:57 am

Woo hoo!

Ramborumble
Veteran

Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:01 am

If you listen to the interview he sounds like he isn't going anywhere nor does he want to. Loomis won't trade him if Payton says "I dont want to be traded" they have that kind of relationship. That being said, its a crazy world we live in so we'll see.

sanbagger
Veteran

Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:05 am

PhxRam wrote:
Ramborumble wrote:From rotoworld.com

Payton says "he" plans on being back. Management might have other ideas.

Fisher planned on being back with the Rams next year as well.
Exactly...unless he has a no trade clause he really has no choice.

Well..he does have 1 choice, he could tell the teams he won't coach for them if they trade for him and that might convince teams not to risk giving up draft capital to a guy who sits at home...he does hold that card.

SK Ram
Starter

Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:40 pm

Bakoramfan wrote:If we had 4 7-9 seasons we would be calling for his firing!
Exactly. He basicly had 1 season better than Fisher's 7-9 yrs.

Ramborumble
Veteran

Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:06 pm

We'll see on Payton but certainly sounds like the Saints went to him and said "we have people interested in trading for you, are you interested in leaving? Sounds like Payton said "no" and Saints then went back to other teams and said no interest. Simple as that. Payton is a huge part of the New Orleans "family" after hurricane Katrina and the Saints will do what he wishes. If he wishes to stay in N.O., he's staying. Shit, would you want to exchange Drew Brees for Goff? Neither would I. And I like Goff now, but still... As the post said, imo, scratch Payton off the list.