Outdoor Headquarters - Only The Best In Outdoor Gear
Unique Rams Merchandise

McVay is not ready..another dumb move

General Discussion Forum
Dick84

Re: McVay is not ready..another dumb move

Postby Dick84 » 11 Jan 2017, 10:42

I don't like the idea of a 31 year old HC.

What I do like is that I've heard he'll bring Wade Phillips as DC. As I said on another thread.. if he brings in Callahan as OC/Line Coach? And has a *smart* veteran staff on *both* sides of the ball?

I'd be cool with that.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

Commish

Postby Commish » 11 Jan 2017, 11:30

Timking124 wrote:This too young notion is ridiculous. He is either a good coach or he is not. If he is believed to be the best out of the bunch, lock him up. With any Rookie HC, regardless of age, is a toss up and most will fail.

Shannahan, Patricia and McVay all have the same amount of experience as a HC who knows if anyone is Ready. There have been coaches sons who failed, hot targeted pats coordinators who have failed, so who knows.

Agreed--there's obviously no 'certainty' RE any of these top head-coaching prospects, is there?

Five years ago, I thought that there was quite a bit of 'certainty' for our team with a veteran head coach like Jeff Fisher, yet in retrospect the guy clearly lacked intensity and was way too 'laid back' to be successful with the Rams.

To me, the 'upside' here is that even a halfway decent head coach should end up being a distinct improvement over Fisher... :) 8-) :idea:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish

McCOY: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

SK Ram

Postby SK Ram » 11 Jan 2017, 11:43

Massimo wrote:just seems an unnecessary risk. Plenty of good options with less unknowns.

Do you have your interview lined up? Then SHUT UP!!

oregon ram

Postby oregon ram » 11 Jan 2017, 11:47

Here are some people in their 30's and younger who made it very big in the business world. Was age a factor, you be the judge.

Mark Zuckerberg, 32. Worth: At least $50 billion. ...
Lukas Walton, 29. Worth: At least $11.2 billion. ...
Dustin Moskovitz, 32. Worth: At least $10.5 billion. ...
Eduardo Saverin, 34. Worth: Around $7 billion. ...
Yang Huiyan, 35. Worth: At least $5.5 billion. ...
Scott Duncan, 33. ...
Nathan Blecharczyk, 33. ...
Brian Chesky, 34.

Zuckerberg made it at the age of 23. GO RAMS :R

Kindablue

Postby Kindablue » 11 Jan 2017, 12:21

Rammer wrote:I think I might like this kind of a choice. It's bold. Young, capable, energetic and hungry. The team that screwed up with the RGIII trade could have been the Cleveland Browns for years. Instead, that team has a good offense. And somehow, he turned cousins into a quality qb. He must be doing something right.

It's a great story. Cousins is a special guy.

Nothing is improbable about Kirk Cousins’s rise

...........Cousins works with a private throwing coach in the offseason. To improve his overall fitness, he also works six days a week with a personal trainer, whether in Northern Virginia or Atlanta, his wife’s home town.

“He came in by himself, sat on the couch and said, ‘I’m probably the worst athlete on the team,’ ” Pat McCloskey, director of training at One To One Fitness in Tysons Corner, recounted of their first conversation in 2014. “He wanted his body and athletic performance to be as efficient and effective as possible. He said, ‘If you direct me as to what to do, I’ll do the best I can and I’ll do it every day.’ ”

So they launched into a program of dynamic jumps, stretching and resistance work to improve his balance, agility and quickness — which Cousins showed off in his 13-yard dash past Buffalo defenders on Dec. 20 for his fifth rushing touchdown of the season.

He also sees a chiropractor and applied kinesiologist weekly and uses a computer-based form of brain training, devised by Michigan-based Neurocore, to sharpen his decision-making under pressure. And he grinds while on vacation, too, calling a local high school while visiting relatives in Fort Myers, Fla., last February for permission to use the Estero Wildcats’ field and borrow a handful of the team’s receivers for passing practice.

To improve his time management, Cousins devised a spreadsheet while vying for the starting job in late August that spells out each day’s activity in 15-minute, color-coded blocks. He still follows it faithfully.

“There is no entitlement in the NFL,” Cousins said. “You’ve got to prove it every day. Even Tom Brady had to compete; he had to earn his spot, day in and day out, year in and year out. So I just felt like I’ll keep competing and showing what I could potentially do, and let [the Redskins] do what they want to do.”........................

McVay never doubted.

Throughout the regular season, they met each Friday afternoon to review the roughly 100 pass plays in the mix for the upcoming game. Cousins didn’t simply report for the meeting with an understanding of his role in each play; rather he’d devised two or three variations on what he should do if something went awry or the defense countered with an unexpected move.

“He was thinking through all these different scenarios, because inevitably something’s going to come up that surprises you, to give him a chance to react,” McVay said. “He’s doing a great job of playing the game before the game.”

But Cousins’s No. 8 jersey will be far from ubiquitous at FedEx Field. The team’s 16th starting quarterback in the past 16 years — and the first since 2009 to play all 16 regular season games — he is not yet beloved in his NFL home town.

So if the Redskins’ faithful want to see a bit more staying power before throwing their arm around Cousins, that’s fine.

Kirk Cousins will keep working, whether embraced or not. He has a plan for getting better each game, each NFL season.

And he has a schedule to keep.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/r ... 41ddef4934

I remember when he was made 3rd string. He said that 3rd string QB's get no attention, no work. There just isn't time during the season.
So he took matters into his own hands. Every waking second is devoted to becoming great QB.
If McVay can impart that kind of focus and methodical approach to Goff, then I'm all in.

KBLOCK

Re: Goff is no Cousins....

Postby KBLOCK » 11 Jan 2017, 12:36

Massimo wrote:Goff is no Cousins....

And so u would happily tell us a million times, Mr. Talent Scout!

Pj50

Postby Pj50 » 11 Jan 2017, 12:43

Why don't the Broncos want Shannahan?

SoCalRam78

Postby SoCalRam78 » 11 Jan 2017, 12:50

Pj50 wrote:Why don't the Broncos want Shannahan?

So far the Jags and Broncos have passed him over

Fan since 80s

Timking124

Postby Timking124 » 11 Jan 2017, 13:43

Who would have guessed that the 2 hottest Coordinators going in may not even get a HCing job this year. Chargers are reportedly looking at defensive guys, its possible that we pass, and the 9ers are always a question mark when it comes to personnel moves. Obviously we haven't interviewed Shanahan yet, but it's interesting.

Also, any word on how Mcdaniels interview went? Seems pretty quite on that front.

Rams fan from Connecticut since 99

TBUX

Postby TBUX » 11 Jan 2017, 13:44

Sounds like Cousins did it mostly on his own- which most who are very good- great do. Giving the OC the credit? He couldn't do the same for RGIII? even when healthy. Players dedicated to being the best they can are self motivated individuals. Cousins seems to be that type. Brady was that type= BB didn't make Brady great- Tom Brady did- he was going to be great regardless of where he went. IE if Goff doesn't have that mindset, the new HC isn't going to be able to make him great- that comes from within. So thinking what happened with Cousins will happen to Goff because of the OC_ I don't buy it. Some things sure- but you cant teach drive, dedication, intelligence, will, competitiveness etc.

Timking124

Postby Timking124 » 11 Jan 2017, 13:51

TBUX wrote:Sounds like Cousins did it mostly on his own- which most who are very good- great do. Giving the OC the credit? He couldn't do the same for RGIII? even when healthy. Players dedicated to being the best they can are self motivated individuals. Cousins seems to be that type. Brady was that type= BB didn't make Brady great- Tom Brady did- he was going to be great regardless of where he went. IE if Goff doesn't have that mindset, the new HC isn't going to be able to make him great- that comes from within. So thinking what happened with Cousins will happen to Goff because of the OC_ I don't buy it. Some things sure- but you cant teach drive, dedication, intelligence, will, competitiveness etc.

Who knows? It's one of those things that is impossible to figure out. Would kirk be the same qb or better without McVay im not sure but the thing is you and make that argument with any player-coach.

Remember Shanahan was the oc of the redskins with Griffin and also Kirk.

Rams fan from Connecticut since 99

Ramsfan08ny

Postby Ramsfan08ny » 11 Jan 2017, 14:11

crazy-legs wrote:He's too young IMO. Being a HC in the NFL is like running a major company. 18 to 20 hour days. I know I wouldn't hand it over to him...

The smart money IMO is either Matt Patricia (my favorite out of the bunch) or Shanahan...

Hopefully we'll get it right...

Let me play devil's advocate. Who is better fit for an 18 hour work day? A 31 year old man? Or a 57 year old man? If you're saying youth isn't ready for an 18 hour work day I will tell you, I'm 57 and I'll pass on the 18 hours. Maybe 25 years ago, but not at this stage of the game. You have an argument with experience or leadership. But how can you say a 31 year old isn't ready for long work days?

Cornell29

Postby Cornell29 » 11 Jan 2017, 14:14

TBUX wrote:Sounds like Cousins did it mostly on his own- which most who are very good- great do. Giving the OC the credit? He couldn't do the same for RGIII? even when healthy. Players dedicated to being the best they can are self motivated individuals. Cousins seems to be that type. Brady was that type= BB didn't make Brady great- Tom Brady did- he was going to be great regardless of where he went. IE if Goff doesn't have that mindset, the new HC isn't going to be able to make him great- that comes from within. So thinking what happened with Cousins will happen to Goff because of the OC_ I don't buy it. Some things sure- but you cant teach drive, dedication, intelligence, will, competitiveness etc.
cousins fell apart the year before McVay got there. Now Cousins is playing as a top qb. The skins offense as a hole.improved greatly under McVay.

Rg3 was done when McVay got there. Hugh Jackson can't even fix FG3.
Last edited by Cornell29 on 11 Jan 2017, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.

Ramsfan08ny

Postby Ramsfan08ny » 11 Jan 2017, 14:14

I guess it's a fact. Coaches only job is to call a play and then get outta the way.

Henry VIII

Postby Henry VIII » 11 Jan 2017, 14:27

He was RG3 coach for 1 year and only 9 games. And he wasn't healthy that year.

Montanaramfan

Postby Montanaramfan » 11 Jan 2017, 14:57

My problem with McVay is his age. He might be a great X's and O's guy but trying to earn the respect of the players at his age is going to be an uphill battle. I think that was one of the problems McDaniels faced in Denver. I read an article the other day that showed how coaches in their second head coaching jobs fared much better than they did the first time around. That's the reason I'd really like to see Todd Haley. Instead of McVay, I'd like to see Shanahan (yes, I know it would be his first HC job) but with his dad as GM who could help groom him into being the disciplinarian we need. After the Fisher regime, this team needs a leader who will hold them accountable. I just think that would be hard for a 30 year old. I may be wrong but...

Ants

Postby Ants » 11 Jan 2017, 15:36

KBLOCK wrote:

Well, he IS The Putz II :lol:
In true Safety Putz fashion, one must repeat the same thing - over and over and over again like a child with tourette's, all hopped up on sugar. :roll:

Safety Blitz is to this forum what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles

Henry VIII

Postby Henry VIII » 11 Jan 2017, 16:40

Ants wrote:
KBLOCK wrote:

Well, he IS The Putz II :lol:
In true Safety Putz fashion, one must repeat the same thing - over and over and over again like a child with tourette's, all hopped up on sugar. :roll:

Well then I nominate TBUX for The Putz III, because he just repeats his love for Fisher over and over.

Kindablue

Postby Kindablue » 11 Jan 2017, 16:45

Jon Gruden gave Rams organizational assessment; did he discuss McVay?

Gruden has told the Rams that he is not interested in their head coaching vacancy. The ESPN analyst did, however, speak with Los Angeles to provide an “organizational assessment” about the team.

McVay also coached under Jon Gruden with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, so Gruden knows about the Washington offensive coordinator firsthand — not just via his brother.

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2017/01 ... assesment/

NorCal RF

Postby NorCal RF » 11 Jan 2017, 16:46

I actually hope you are correct. Don't need an average QB.

NorCal RF

Postby NorCal RF » 11 Jan 2017, 16:48

Pj50 wrote:Why don't the Broncos want Shannahan?

Great question! He is the can't miss candidate according the fan forums. LMAO!

NorCal RF

Postby NorCal RF » 11 Jan 2017, 16:51

What a bleeping joke! Yea but your boy McDaniels made Brady! Have you even taken a second to read what Cousins has said about McVay? Again bleeping clueless.

I tried to stay cool but can't with such statements.

Return to “Rams Talk - Open Discussion”