Outdoor Headquarters - Only The Best In Outdoor Gear
Unique Rams Merchandise

McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

General Discussion Forum
NDIrishRam
Posts: 180
Joined: 18 Jan 2016, 10:19

McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby NDIrishRam » 11 Jan 2017, 10:27

Adam Schefter tweeted about an hour ago that McVay is expected to meet with the Rams for a 2nd interview this afternoon. We wouldn't offer him without even talking to Shanahan first would we? Especially with it looking like Denver will offer Vance Joseph, I would imagine we could get Shanahan if we wanted him.



User avatar
Dick84
Posts: 4028
Joined: 12 May 2015, 18:13

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby Dick84 » 11 Jan 2017, 10:32

Read one tweet that said he would take Wade Phillips with him and Wades son, who is a TE coach in DC.
I hope he brings Callahan and makes him OC/Line Coach....

I'm scared of how young he is.. but if he brings in older guys with that kind of experience *ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL*.. I'll be happy.


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

User avatar
Dick84
Posts: 4028
Joined: 12 May 2015, 18:13

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby Dick84 » 11 Jan 2017, 10:34

Interesting tweet...



Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

NDIrishRam
Posts: 180
Joined: 18 Jan 2016, 10:19

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby NDIrishRam » 11 Jan 2017, 10:41

Dick84 wrote:Read one tweet that said he would take Wade Phillips with him and Wades son, who is a TE coach in DC.
I hope he brings Callahan and makes him OC/Line Coach....

I'm scared of how young he is.. but if he brings in older guys with that kind of experience *ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL*.. I'll be happy.


I wouldn't hate it if they hired McVay, but I had not heard that about Wade Phillips being on board. If true, I'd be all in! Especially with Callahan as OC/Line coach.



Henry VIII
Posts: 732
Joined: 12 Sep 2016, 22:10

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby Henry VIII » 11 Jan 2017, 10:46

NDIrishRam wrote:
Dick84 wrote:Read one tweet that said he would take Wade Phillips with him and Wades son, who is a TE coach in DC.
I hope he brings Callahan and makes him OC/Line Coach....

I'm scared of how young he is.. but if he brings in older guys with that kind of experience *ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL*.. I'll be happy.


I wouldn't hate it if they hired McVay, but I had not heard that about Wade Phillips being on board. If true, I'd be all in! Especially with Callahan as OC/Line coach.


Done deal, This will be exactly what the Rams need !



bigklein
Posts: 122
Joined: 30 Jan 2016, 08:06

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby bigklein » 11 Jan 2017, 10:50

McVay-Callahan-Phillips
--Could be a strong power trio
--Add Fassel for the quartet



NDIrishRam
Posts: 180
Joined: 18 Jan 2016, 10:19

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby NDIrishRam » 11 Jan 2017, 10:53

bigklein wrote:McVay-Callahan-Phillips
--Could be a strong power trio
--Add Fassel for the quartet


And Bill Musgrave at QB Coach.....



User avatar
sdram
Posts: 1683
Joined: 12 Jan 2015, 03:42

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby sdram » 11 Jan 2017, 10:56

McVay seems like someone with a lot of potential. He's young, but as long as he has a proven successful experienced staff to give support he should be able to grow into the job of a head coach. He does seem like a prodigy. Maybe we'll get lucky if he is indeed hired.



bigklein
Posts: 122
Joined: 30 Jan 2016, 08:06

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby bigklein » 11 Jan 2017, 10:58

I definitely don't see Musgrave leaving his sweet Oakland OC position for that. Another East Bay resident/coach, Sonny Dykes, might do it though...



User avatar
Dick84
Posts: 4028
Joined: 12 May 2015, 18:13

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby Dick84 » 11 Jan 2017, 10:59

bigklein wrote:I definitely don't see Musgrave leaving his sweet Oakland OC position for that. Another East Bay resident/coach, Sonny Dykes, might do it though...


Musgrave was let go by Raiders.


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

bigklein
Posts: 122
Joined: 30 Jan 2016, 08:06

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby bigklein » 11 Jan 2017, 11:00

Holy crap! How did I miss that? Sorry. Crazy. Thank you.
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/10/r ... norton-jr/
Last edited by bigklein on 11 Jan 2017, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
la ramsfan jsj
Posts: 246
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 23:27

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby la ramsfan jsj » 11 Jan 2017, 11:02

To echo your guys' sentiment, I'm MUCH more on board with a young guy in McVay with those assistants as is being reported.

This would also be a bit different than our past few hires. Obviously different than Fisher, but think back to the previous coordinators we hired: Linehan & Spags.

Those 2 are much more in the mold of Kyle Shanahan in that they're the "hot shot" coordinators who everyone says is ready, so they just kinda got the Rams gig by default moreso than having a good clear plan for success in the interviewing process. Having a candidate like McVay come out of nowhere because he's so strong in the interviews would be a different route for the Rams to take than any previous hire I can recall.

Maybe it's just the optimist in me, but I do like the sound of that staff. Plus, we have a young roster, so a 30-year old HC might not be as big of a deal with our squad.

GUUUUH, I'm 32, and the Rams coach might be younger than me. So weird.



User avatar
Dick84
Posts: 4028
Joined: 12 May 2015, 18:13

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby Dick84 » 11 Jan 2017, 11:03

That being said... they still haven't spoken with Shanahan.


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

NDIrishRam
Posts: 180
Joined: 18 Jan 2016, 10:19

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby NDIrishRam » 11 Jan 2017, 11:03

If Wade Phillips then I'm assuming we would switch to a 3-4?



User avatar
Dick84
Posts: 4028
Joined: 12 May 2015, 18:13

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby Dick84 » 11 Jan 2017, 11:05

NDIrishRam wrote:If Wade Phillips then I'm assuming we would switch to a 3-4?


Read a Phillips quote... he's not so much a 3-4 guy as he is a guy who looks at his personnel and tries to get them into the best position to succeed.

I see a lot of Donald and Quinn being moved around next season with him as DC, if he comes.


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

User avatar
la ramsfan jsj
Posts: 246
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 23:27

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby la ramsfan jsj » 11 Jan 2017, 11:08

Dick84 wrote:That being said... they still haven't spoken with Shanahan.


True. And he's been my personal #1 choice, so I'd hope they get an interview done with him before making a decision.



TBUX
Posts: 1911
Joined: 27 Jan 2016, 14:32

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby TBUX » 11 Jan 2017, 11:12

Don't get the love for a 3 yr OC with one good year of offense to drool over. Don't get it. No thanks- 30 yr old HC? nah RARELY a recipe for success.



User avatar
Dick84
Posts: 4028
Joined: 12 May 2015, 18:13

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby Dick84 » 11 Jan 2017, 11:12

la ramsfan jsj wrote:
Dick84 wrote:That being said... they still haven't spoken with Shanahan.


True. And he's been my personal #1 choice, so I'd hope they get an interview done with him before making a decision.


I would be surprised if they didn't.

I'm not feeling bad about the Rams options, at this point.


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

User avatar
la ramsfan jsj
Posts: 246
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 23:27

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby la ramsfan jsj » 11 Jan 2017, 11:14

Dick84 wrote:
la ramsfan jsj wrote:
Dick84 wrote:That being said... they still haven't spoken with Shanahan.


True. And he's been my personal #1 choice, so I'd hope they get an interview done with him before making a decision.


I would be surprised if they didn't.

I'm not feeling bad about the Rams options, at this point.


Agreed. Actually tough to believe how fortunate we've been with other teams' hires up to this point. Not a single guy I'd have wanted us to hire.



Timking124
Posts: 383
Joined: 13 Jan 2016, 08:27

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby Timking124 » 11 Jan 2017, 11:16

We have the pieces to move to a 3-4 if we want to. Brockers-nose, donald &hayes ends, tree & barron middle, quinn lb. We need another lb regardless. I can also see us being a hybrid multi front


Rams fan from Connecticut since 99

User avatar
la ramsfan jsj
Posts: 246
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 23:27

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby la ramsfan jsj » 11 Jan 2017, 11:21

Timking124 wrote:We have the pieces to move to a 3-4 if we want to. Brockers-nose, donald &hayes ends, tree & barron middle, quinn lb. We need another lb regardless. I can also see us being a hybrid multi front


We have Brockers & the best 3-technique in football in Aaron Donald. We should stick with the 4-3, and Wade has said in the past that he's adaptable to fit his personnel. Not a straight 3-4 guy.



User avatar
Dick84
Posts: 4028
Joined: 12 May 2015, 18:13

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby Dick84 » 11 Jan 2017, 11:23

I think you would just see a ton of different looks under Phillips.


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

User avatar
oregon ram
Posts: 195
Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 14:50

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby oregon ram » 11 Jan 2017, 11:31

I know Mcvay is only 31, but he has been around the game his entire life, so in terms of experience he has been around some of

the great minds in the game. Young yes, inexperience no, that's the main thing I see in this selection. GO RAMS :R



Massimo
Posts: 390
Joined: 09 Mar 2016, 06:55

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby Massimo » 11 Jan 2017, 12:27

TBUX wrote:Don't get the love for a 3 yr OC with one good year of offense to drool over. Don't get it. No thanks- 30 yr old HC? nah RARELY a recipe for success.

me neither, but Rams are married to Goff, who will be an anchor around whoever's neck Rams choose as next head coach.



User avatar
CalexicoRam89
Posts: 926
Joined: 27 Jan 2015, 11:41

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby CalexicoRam89 » 11 Jan 2017, 12:43

NDIrishRam wrote:If Wade Phillips then I'm assuming we would switch to a 3-4?


I love this. Mcvay perfect young coach. His top players all early 20's. This could be a very nice long relationship that could last if things work out. Now the Wade thing is AMAZING!!!!. I said before that this team is probably in prime position to switch to a 3-4 if needed. Quinn is probably trade bait this year or next one for sure. We wont need that many high price DLinemen if we get a 3-4 going. Brockers and AD will be fine with a solid rotation. The thing about having a 3-4 is that you bring speed to a defense. 4 linebackers gives us more speed and flexibility in scheming. Im all in on WADE if it happens.


LA Rams Fan since 89. Go RAMS!!!!!!!
Image


Return to “Rams Talk - Open Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests