McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

General Discussion Forum
TBUX

Re: McVay - 2nd Interview Today!

Postby TBUX » 11 Jan 2017, 13:37

First time very young HCs that have done great is a VERY short list in NFL history- I'm totally against it. 3 years as OC does not cut it IMO- such a big transition.

Claremontram

Postby Claremontram » 11 Jan 2017, 13:52

I'm not sold on a 3-4 scheme with our LBs. I would prefer to stick with a 4-3.

The focus must be on offense. I hope we don't screw this up.

Henry VIII

Postby Henry VIII » 11 Jan 2017, 14:03

TBUX wrote:First time very young HCs that have done great is a VERY short list in NFL history- I'm totally against it. 3 years as OC does not cut it IMO- such a big transition.

We get it you don't like the choice how many more times are you going to repeat it, aren't you late for Fisher's back rub.

Ramsfan08ny

Postby Ramsfan08ny » 11 Jan 2017, 14:03

TBUX wrote:Don't get the love for a 3 yr OC with one good year of offense to drool over. Don't get it. No thanks- 30 yr old HC? nah RARELY a recipe for success.

I guess I gotta ask the obvious. When has it been a recipe for failure? What are you comparing it to?

Cornell29

Postby Cornell29 » 11 Jan 2017, 14:09

Claremontram wrote:I'm not sold on a 3-4 scheme with our LBs. I would prefer to stick with a 4-3.

The focus must be on offense. I hope we don't screw this up.

It's already been reported that Wade can coach 3-4 or 4-3. He picks a scheme based off of personnel.

Timking124

Postby Timking124 » 11 Jan 2017, 14:19

TBUX wrote:First time very young HCs that have done great is a VERY short list in NFL history- I'm totally against it. 3 years as OC does not cut it IMO- such a big transition.

Great coaches is a shortless regardless of years of experience. If you look at just coaches who made the super bowl (not all coaches who have appeared in the sb are great and there are coaches who never made that can be considered great) its only 53 coaches out of hundreds (possibly a thousands) who have been name a HC of NFL team that made it to atleast 1 sb and 22 coaches represent 68% of sb appearances.

Great is rare in any profession

Rams fan from Connecticut since 99

la ramsfan jsj

Postby la ramsfan jsj » 11 Jan 2017, 14:36

Fair to have concerns, but at the end of the day we don't really know how anyone will turn out until they're given the shot. I applaud the Rams for casting a wide net, and then from there whittling down to "their guy".

Not quite apples-to-apples, but the Lakers hired the youngest HC in their league, and that seems to be working out just fine. We shall see.

NorCal RF

Postby NorCal RF » 11 Jan 2017, 15:06

Ramsfan08ny wrote:
TBUX wrote:Don't get the love for a 3 yr OC with one good year of offense to drool over. Don't get it. No thanks- 30 yr old HC? nah RARELY a recipe for success.

I guess I gotta ask the obvious. When has it been a recipe for failure? What are you comparing it to?

Was thinking the exact same thing. There is no precedent for 30 year old NFL coaches. It's simply him not liking such and making it sound like this goes on all the time in the NFL to support his stance.

He wants McDaniels which is fine. But there is nothing to indicate JM would be any better than McVay. And if McVay can bring Wade Phillips...........

TBUX

Postby TBUX » 12 Jan 2017, 07:12

WEll since you mentioned JM- he is one that had his first shot while very young and failed miserably first time out.

NorCal RF

Postby NorCal RF » 12 Jan 2017, 07:51

TBUX wrote:WEll since you mentioned JM- he is one that had his first shot while very young and failed miserably first time out.

Yep it must have been his age on why he failed and sucked. It had nothing to do with his 11-19 record, or whatever his losing record was, as well as him being a snake straight from the New England mode and not reporting that a member of his staff actually filmed another team's practice leading up to them playing them that week. Nah it was his age why he failed and Denver can his ass.

Show me be one example where this guy has done anything away from New England that states he should be the guy more so than anyone else. My God this is the same person who thought Tebow was an NFL QB!

Cornell29

Postby Cornell29 » 12 Jan 2017, 08:00

Mike Tomlin didn't have any more NFL experience than McVay. He even has less coordinator experience than McVay.
Mike turned out to be very good

CanadianRam4Life

Postby CanadianRam4Life » 12 Jan 2017, 08:08

....a 31 year old OC who has been around football his whole life, has a lot of experience (all in the NFL), been successful, highly touted by everyone thats worked with him, including John Gruden, has killer interviews (which means he must have a plan the rams love), is extremely well liked and respected but also extremely detail oriented, has no family or kids to tend to (so can be 100% focussed on football, and surrounding himself with very experienced and successful coaches to support him.

I don't see what's not to love. We need to lock this guy and Phillips up today !

I like Kyle Shannahan in terms of football acumen but the stories about his personality issues might be polarizing for our players and fellow coaches. It's a big red flag to me but I could still get behind Shannahan on a short leash.

NorCal RF

Postby NorCal RF » 12 Jan 2017, 08:57

You are on record in stating your first choice is Gruden but you want nothing to do with the coach he is recommending and states would be a good hire..............

sdram

Postby sdram » 12 Jan 2017, 10:01

Yep. It's obvious that Gruden likes McVay and the Demoff/Snead seem to be heeding his advice.

rams74

Postby rams74 » 12 Jan 2017, 10:30

Look at it this way -- they're going offense, with a young, hot, highly recommended OC. Isn't that pretty close to what you wanted? It is for me. I'll get onboard, even if I'm not quite there yet.

TBUX

Postby TBUX » 12 Jan 2017, 13:30

NorCal RF wrote:

You are on record in stating your first choice is Gruden but you want nothing to do with the coach he is recommending and states would be a good hire..............

When does Gruden not say good things about anyone?

Listen- none of us know how good or bad he will be- giving opinions- mine is he probably isn't ready yet- there is SO MUCH more to being a HC than a OC and I doubt he is ready. Who knows but that is my opinion.

Return to “Rams Talk - Open Discussion”