Chargers shouldn’t look for a welcome wagon in L.A.

General Discussion Forum
RamBill

Postby RamBill » 11 Jan 2017, 23:30

By Bill Plaschke

Every relationship is built on honesty, so the San Diego Chargers should hear this as their moving vans are chugging up the 5 Freeway on their noble mission of greed.

We. Don’t. Want. You.

The news broke Thursday that Chargers owner Dean Spanos has informed NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell he is moving the team to Los Angeles, which is pretty much dreadful news for Los Angeles.

Wow, just what we need, the return of a professional sports team with no buzz, no tradition, few local fans north of south Orange County, limited success, and an owner who just stole them away from a place where they were loved unconditionally for 56 years.

What was the NFL thinking? What are the Chargers thinking? I know what Spanos is thinking, that he is leaving behind those unwashed heathens who didn’t want their tax dollars to pay for a football stadium and sliding into Stan Kroenke’s Inglewood palace to ride piggyback on the Rams.

What a guy. What a joke.

The problem is not that Los Angeles must now be asked to support two NFL teams after 22 years of somehow surviving with none. We knew this would happen. This was the deal when the Rams returned last year. This is what the NFL has always wanted for Inglewood, so there was no avoiding it.

The problem is, the second team should have been the Raiders. The Southland is filled with Raiders fans everywhere. I have still never met a single Chargers fan.

The NFL will feel the full embarrassment of this move next fall when the Raiders play the Chargers here and the stadium will be painted in silver and black. At least that game will be sold out. Whether they initially play in the giant Coliseum or the tiny confines of StubHub Center, it’s hard to imagine the Chargers selling many tickets for any of their other games in the next two years before the Inglewood palace opens.

The Chargers aren’t even the second team in town behind the Rams. The Chargers aren’t even the third team of interest here behind the Rams and Raiders. The Chargers might not even be in the top-five favorite NFL teams in Los Angeles.

And now they’re going to play their home games here? It’s difficult to imagine many people really caring. Look at how many fans fled the Rams after they won only four games in their dismal return season here. Are those fans now going to get behind a team that has advanced to one Super Bowl since the Super Bowl began being played 51 years ago? The Chargers have won four playoff games in 22 years and, like, don’t we already have one of those teams?

The Rams have been awful, and are currently terrible, but because they played here for 48 years, they still feel like “our” Rams.

The Chargers will brag about how they were born here in 1960, but, seriously, they stuck around only one year before fleeing south.

The Chargers are San Diego’s team. The Chargers are beloved there. The Chargers belong there. And in coming days, don’t listen to all these NFL experts moan that because of stadium issues, the Chargers couldn’t make it work there.

Sure they could. According to a recent Forbes ranking, the Spanos family is worth $2.1 billion. They could have made it work there if they weren’t insistent on using public money that the people of San Diego smartly refused to give them.

Read Complete Article
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-cha ... story.html

Rams News Now!
All the Rams News of the Day
http://www.rams-news.com

RamsFanInMO

Re: Chargers shouldn’t look for a welcome wagon in L.A.

Postby RamsFanInMO » 12 Jan 2017, 04:15

Bill Plashke. What a guy. What a joke

Was that written by a 5-year old who went to his very first Rams game this year with daddy and fell in love?

Maybe columns like this garbage are the reason the media has a 1% approval and trust rating. We can't get single objective news report or opinion from anyone, without their emotional political slants or favorite sports team slants getting in the way.

The only columnist worst in the entire US is Bernie Miklasz.

sdram

Postby sdram » 12 Jan 2017, 06:50

The only good thing about the Chargers moving to LA is that they will prevent Plaschke´s angry ¨mayhem fans¨ team from Oakland from invading LA. There´s already enough violence in the stands without bringing in raider fan.

Dick84

Postby Dick84 » 12 Jan 2017, 09:03

Welp.. unless there's a weird hail mary.. I was dead wrong on this.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

sdram

Postby sdram » 12 Jan 2017, 09:43

Dick84 wrote:Welp.. unless there's a weird hail mary.. I was dead wrong on this.

Me too. I think the Raiders forced Spanos hand. I think Spanos did not want to get shutout of LA's market, and had to commit, but still wants a chance to somehow keep a toehold in SD IF a new stadium is built. Yes, it's a fantasy, but I think Spanos thinks like that.

RamPower

Postby RamPower » 12 Jan 2017, 09:46

It's a lose/lose.

The Rams have their old loyal fans sure, but are also trying to build a NEW fan base obviously. Another NFL team certainly can't help.

And for the Charger fans, they hate LA (city). It's see ya and don't let the door hit ya in the ass on your way out. Sure, they can eventually build a fan base in LA…or not (that's the gamble). But I would expect the "homecoming celebration" to fall well short of what we saw with the Rams return this season (1st preseason game vs. Dallas).

Chargers might think, hey, we can "win" fans over obviously (on-field success), esp. if the Rams continue to suck.

But lose/lose still seems very likely = huge risk for the Chargers (they can always move again I suppose)…maybe they think playing in the new stadium will be enough? Not if it's empty (seats won't be cheap).

sdram

Postby sdram » 12 Jan 2017, 09:55

It's hard to see how the Chargers will win over LA for sure, but Spanos had to protect the LA market from the Raiders, and their value just went up a billion dollars, too.

SoCalRam78

Postby SoCalRam78 » 12 Jan 2017, 10:03

Dick84 wrote:Welp.. unless there's a weird hail mary.. I was dead wrong on this.

Chargers were never going to allow the Raiders to move to LA, their worst scenario. Playing in an empty stadium in LA is better for them.

Fan since 80s

Commish

Postby Commish » 12 Jan 2017, 10:14

sdram wrote:

Me too. I think the Raiders forced Spanos hand. I think Spanos did not want to get shutout of LA's market, and had to commit, but still wants a chance to somehow keep a toehold in SD IF a new stadium is built. Yes, it's a fantasy, but I think Spanos thinks like that.

Actually, that doesn't strike me as too far-fetched, the Chargers being the second NFL team in Los Angeles while the Raiders commit to Las Vegas and move there with a new stadium being constructed.

Five or so years later, their situation vis-a-vis San Diego might have changed and the Chargers could return there, with the Raiders then fully committed to Las Vegas.

I'm hardly claiming that this scenario is probable, but to me it does seem plausible... :) :| 8-)

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish

McCOY: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

Ram Fan in U. City

Postby Ram Fan in U. City » 12 Jan 2017, 10:19

Bad news for San Diego and NFL traditionalists everywhere. The Rams moving back to LA made sense because a team was returned to its long time fan base but this move to LA by Spanos is reprehensible. Nobody in LA should support Spanos or his crappola team.

sdram

Postby sdram » 12 Jan 2017, 10:25

Commish wrote:
sdram wrote:

Actually, that doesn't strike me as too far-fetched, the Chargers being the second NFL team in Los Angeles while the Raiders commit to Las Vegas and move there with a new stadium being constructed.

Five or so years later, their situation vis-a-vis San Diego might have changed and the Chargers could return there, with the Raiders then fully committed to Las Vegas.

I'm hardly claiming that this scenario is probable, but to me it does seem plausible... :) :| 8-)

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish

We're on the same page Commish. Once the Raiders commit to a 30 year lease somewhere, the Chargers could move back to San Diego and leave the spot open in Kroenke's Palace as a bargaining chip the NFL loves to use to get new stadiums built. :)

Kindablue

Postby Kindablue » 12 Jan 2017, 10:53

They will be playing in Stub Hub the next two years
What does that seat? About 25000?

Kindablue

Postby Kindablue » 12 Jan 2017, 11:17

Chargers' L.A. move reflects their history: mistake-prone and misguided
Dan Wetzel

The San Diego Chargers are no more. Franchise owner Dean Spanos announced Thursday they are begrudgingly headed to Los Angeles. This is a classic Chargers maneuver. It’s a decision based more on being boxed into defeat than escaping for victory.

There have been some ugly relocation dramas in NFL history, hurt feelings and double crosses. Robert Irsay had the Colts load up 15 moving trucks in the dark of night and slip out of Baltimore. Art Modell had his once-good name become mud in Cleveland. In St. Louis, cursing the Rams is part therapy, part entertainment. It’s never easy.

“An exciting new era,” Spanos dubbed it in the announcement before acknowledging the challenge to “earn the respect and support of L.A. football fans.” See, when you relocate, it’s supposed to be easy. You don’t have to tell the new city it’s “exciting.” It’s already excited.

Spanos believes he has to go right now. The franchise has a window to join the Rams in Los Angeles that ends next week.

The Rams arrived last year when owner Stan Kroenke’s plan to privately fund a palatial development on land he acquired in Inglewood beat out the Chargers’ joint deal with the Raiders to get something built in Carson, Calif. It was an owner-vs.-owner contest of competence. Of course, Kroenke won. That was victory.

As a consolation prize, the Chargers can move into Kroenke’s stadium as a tenant for $1 per year. That’s a term of surrender. They had to decide now, though. If not, the option goes to the Raiders, who have far, far more fans in L.A., where they once played.

Spanos will cry that he had no other option because San Diego wouldn’t agree to his demands over the past decade and a half. Moreover, voters rejected a ballot proposal in November on a hotel tax that could have funded a new stadium. That’s sort of true. The vote, however, was a hastily arranged proposal and came directly on the heels of Spanos’ effort last year to move to Carson with the Raiders.

That didn’t exactly excite the masses. What did he think was going to happen? Come back in 2018 with a different proposal, and who knows?

Besides, if Kroenke can spend his own money, why not Spanos? The local government was willing to help some. And the NFL offered its most assistance ever, $300 million to help on a $1.2 billion stadium. The league doesn’t want this either. This is certainly easy to say when it isn’t your hundreds of millions, but was this really impossible?

Instead, Spanos is going to pay a $550 million relocation fee to the league (Why not put that into the stadium?) and head off to what exactly?

Los Angeles went 22 years without an NFL team, and locals were pretty cool with that. If nothing else, they always got the best national games on television. With two franchises, that’s gone.

The Rams returned last year from St. Louis and there was a measure of excitement. It was a homecoming from the franchise’s early days and plenty of football fans gobbled up season tickets. Fans packed the mammoth L.A. Coliseum (temporary home) for both the preseason and regular-season opener.

Yet by season’s end, when the team was skidding to a 4-12 finish, struggled to score touchdowns and played with a general malaise, the fans stayed home. Good for them. Maybe any other city getting a new team would have a longer honeymoon, but this is L.A. It’s a winner’s town.

That’s about the Chargers’ only hope – that they can become winners (don’t laugh) and earn swing fans. It’s about all they have because nothing else is working in their favor.

The Rams have already identified the most passionate of local football fanatics, inked the best local media and sponsorship deals, and sold the most initial merchandise. It’s the Rams who will control the stadium, with an owner who is investing billions in an Inglewood community that needs it. It’s not a franchise that’s glomming on for a buck a year.

And it’s the Rams who will play two more seasons in the Coliseum, just south of downtown and close to all the Westside money, until the new place is built.

The Chargers will set up shop in Orange County (once the Rams’ old base). They are expected to play temporarily in a 30,000-seat soccer stadium up the road in Carson, which is still a Raiders stronghold. The small venue is about their only hope of making crowds look decent. They are hoping to retain some of the fans from Orange County who used to trek to San Diego for games, but that’s no guarantee, especially for displaced San Diego natives who see Spanos as a traitor to their old hometown.

That’s the move, though, rushed and ridiculous. The Chargers leave anger behind and find apathy ahead. They better do what they never have … win and win big. Spanos knows it, knows it desperately.

“We must get back to winning,” Spanos said.

They say there’s always room for another star in Hollywood. The Chargers will put that to the test.

SK Ram

Postby SK Ram » 12 Jan 2017, 11:26

Commish wrote:
sdram wrote:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish

I agree. I can see them going back to San Diego in the near future.

Return to “Rams Talk - Open Discussion”