Walter's McVay Grade

General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
Ram Man
Starter

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:10 pm

Rams hire HC Sean McVay: C- Grade

The worst thing you can do to a bad situation is overreact by going the other way too much. That's exactly what the Rams are doing with this hire. They've employed Jeff Fisher for far too long, as Fisher was a tired coach with no new ideas. In fact, he was so bad that it appeared as though he was intentionally trying to sabotage the Rams. By 2016, he was so worn out that he didn't bother watching film, as evidenced by his press conference in which he said Danny Woodhead was a play-maker for the Patriots. The Rams fired Fisher, and so they went from an old coach to the youngest one ever. Sean McVay, former offensive coordinator for the Redskins, turns 31 in a couple of weeks.

I think this is a mistake. While McVay certainly has more upside than Fisher, it's unlikely that he'll get some of the Ram veterans to listen to him. Some are about as old as he is; some even older. The Rams are comprised of a bunch of lazy players who need to be motivated, and I'm not sure they'll be willing to listen to someone in their age group.

The one positive about McVay is his brilliant offensive mind. It'll be nice to have someone who, unlike Fisher, is actually innovative, but the problem is that it probably won't matter. Jared Goof is a lost cause. Everyone, including some in the Rams' organization, had Carson Wentz ranked ahead of Goof. I'm sure McVay will get the most out of him, and Goof won't be a complete abomination, but sometimes, a quarterback is an unsalvageable sunk cost, and that's what the Rams have. Then again, the Rams are an unsalvageable sunk cost themselves, so all of this is probably irrelevant

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/coachfirehire ... QMY0Czc.99

UplandRam
Site Admin

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:15 pm

Is Safety Blitz writing for Walter? (JK)

RamFanDave
Veteran

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:17 pm

B/S alert-fake news perpetrator!!

Timking124
Veteran

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:20 pm

Walter hates NFL in LA. He has to root against us to make his predictions right. He continues to say that LA won't support the team even with the attendance numbers this year.

Rams fan from Connecticut since 99

Underdog
Bench Warmer

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:22 pm

Yeah, Walter is definitely biased. Last year he said the QB's in this years class were going to be leaps and bounds better than last years class. How is that prediction working out? Even QB starved Cleveland and SF may pass on QB's this year. You can have concerns about McVay's age but based on what all the football people are saying, he isn't a C-.

sdram
Pro-bowler

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:23 pm

"If that is Walter's Grade, then Walter is a ass."

Ram Man
Starter

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:33 pm

Timking124 wrote:Walter hates NFL in LA. He has to root against us to make his predictions right. He continues to say that LA won't support the team even with the attendance numbers this year.
He actually took the Rams to cover about a dozen times last season. I had to tell him to stop :)

The Rams have absolutely murdered me recently, but I guess I'm a glutton for punishment because I'm betting on them once again.

I just can't get over how bad this line is. In what universe do the Falcons, with two key injured offensive players, deserve to be favored by six on the road against a team with one of the top defenses in the NFL? My line for this was Falcons -3. This spread is three points off!

---- And they didn't cover again, of course ----

The bad pick was mostly about the Rams. I can't believe I bet on them again. They're a dead team, much like the Browns. I'm going to have to ask my developer to crunch the numbers, but I imagine that if it weren't for the Rams and Browns, I'd be up close to 50 units this year. I'm so stupid for betting them almost every week. I've definitely improved my handicapping this year by not looking at trends anymore, but identifying and avoiding these horrible, poisonous teams is something I'll have to work on for 2017.

Ramborumble
Veteran

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:34 pm

"Walter" is obviously a fuckin moron. The one thing the Rams DONT have is veterans. In fact they NEED them. And he talks about others not watching film. This guy should study before shooting his mouth off.

HellRam
Veteran

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:36 pm

Seem's Walter's only knock from what I've read was about Mcvay's age. I was hoping for some substance not some personal opinion nonsense. Poor article. Plus Fisher was a older coach, did the team listen to him?

NorCal RF
Veteran

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:37 pm

Walter doesn't like the selection........... Proof the Rams may have gotten it right.

Cornell29
Starter

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:42 pm

First of all McVay have just as much, and maybe more than Mike Tomlin had.

Second of all Fisher was experienced as they come and he didn't fix the so called lazy players. So it's pretty clear age has nothing to do with success.

Third of all, Walter should wait until he see who the staff is. The rams could sign a highly experienced OC and DC, to help the young guy out.

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:44 pm

UplandRam wrote:Is Safety Blitz writing for Walter? (JK)
I thought it was Popular,,, Oh no, he has is own website,,,, :lol: :lol: :lol:

RamFanDave
Veteran

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:45 pm

Just the fact that it says Jared Goof proves this guy is an ass

Massimo
Starter

Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:53 pm

RamFanDave wrote:Just the fact that it says Jared Goof proves this guy is an ass
umm it's intentional, and it's accurate, Goff is a Goof and will doom whoever coaches this franchise.

Commish
Veteran

Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:01 pm

Massimo wrote:
RamFanDave wrote:Just the fact that it says Jared Goof proves this guy is an ass
umm it's intentional, and it's accurate, Goff is a Goof and will doom whoever coaches this franchise.
That you agree with him strongly indicates that the guy has an intensive anti-Rams agenda, doesn't it...?? :roll: :P :?:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish

McCOY: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

TBUX
Veteran

Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:02 pm

Some fair points honestly- and my biggest concern is the youth and earning the respect. He didn't play, and players tend to listen to experienced coaches more and those that have played. That said, if he gets this offense going early- they will fall in line. Key is experienced assistants= I think it is crucial for him to have success. I think this is a swing for the fences- and although not my top choice, they know way more about him than any of us and I trust they think he is the right guy and he has my support!! Turn this O around- I hope he can- D will do its job if the O can. Like that it was offensive guy. Hope he is the real deal, like what little I have read so far. Lot more research to do.

Timking124
Veteran

Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:03 pm

Massimo wrote:
I take it you're not a fan of Goff lol.

Rams fan from Connecticut since 99

Kindablue
Veteran

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:46 pm

I'd wonder more about the older coaches listening to him.
Wade Phillips for example.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:51 pm

Kindablue wrote:I'd wonder more about the older coaches listening to him.
I doubt that will be a problem... as long as the kid knows how to listen himself.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

Kindablue
Veteran

Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:32 pm

Dick84 wrote:
I doubt that will be a problem... as long as the kid knows how to listen himself.
The "kid" is the head coach.
His word is final.
He's not here to be mentored.
He's here to coach the coaches on his methods and vision for this team.
They are here to coach the players to carry that out.
They can make suggestions. He will listen and decide if it fits his philosophy.
There is no separation of powers. The head coach is the power.
The OC and DC operate within his parameters.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:06 pm

Kindablue wrote:
Dick84 wrote:
His word is final.
Funny world you live in.

3-24-16

Commish
Veteran

Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:52 pm

Dick84 wrote:
Kindablue wrote:
Dick84 wrote: I doubt that will be a problem... as long as the kid knows how to listen himself.
His word is final.
Funny world you live in.
Apparently it's a "world" wherein a very young, brand-new head coach hires a much older guy with considerable head-coaching experience as his top lieutenant but then, presumably out of stubborn egotism, bizarrely refuses to benefit from the guy's guidance and input.

At least that's the inference I'm drawing from the assertion that "He's not here to be mentored," whereas IMHO mentoring Sean McVay RE his functioning as a head coach figures to be one of the roles which Wade Phillips will be expected to fulfill... :) ;) :idea:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish

McCOY: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:59 pm

Commish.. you get it.

Also.. *great* leaders know when to talk.. and when to listen.

3-24-16

DeeMoney
Starter

Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:04 pm

So the big gripe is the age thing and how older players won't respect him because of his age? Asinine and reaching for straws. Quick anecdote- I had a buddy who took a job coaching in the NFL some years back. He was very young (30s) and was hired to be a position coach for a team with veterans and future HOFers at the position.

1st meeting and a future HOFer (who was older than him) scoffs at him and states out loud, "man, I've forgotten more football then you know." Now my friend never played in the league, and this guy was a big name, but he didn't back down. He called him out on mistakes he had already seen him make in his breakdown of his film from years and years back; and pointed out how when this player is out partying, at charity events, or making commercials and extra cash he'll be up to 3 am working to make him a better player.

Player backed down (eventually they became close) and my buddy is still coaching. So McVay may have to stand up intially, but in the end respect is given to talent, not simply longevity. From what I've read I don't think age will matter.

Kindablue
Veteran

Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:13 pm

Commish wrote: Apparently it's a "world" wherein a very young, brand-new head coach hires a much older guy with considerable head-coaching experience as his top lieutenant but then, presumably out of stubborn egotism, bizarrely refuses to benefit from the guy's guidance and input.

At least that's the inference I'm drawing from the assertion that "He's not here to be mentored," whereas IMHO mentoring Sean McVay RE his functioning as a head coach figures to be one of the roles which Wade Phillips will be expected to fulfill... :) ;) :idea:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish
McVay will coach Wade Phillips who in turn will coach the players.
The head coach's job is to coach the coaches.
That's just basic coaching 101. That's the set up.
Of course he will listen to WP and hear suggestions. If what he says goes hand in hand with SM's defensive philosophy he will adopt it.