Outdoor Headquarters - Only The Best In Outdoor Gear
Unique Rams Merchandise

Van Brocklin or Waterfield?

History of the Los Angeles Rams
RhinoRam

Van Brocklin or Waterfield?

Postby RhinoRam » 20 Feb 2016, 13:44

I gave my son some Ram history 2 days ago on a Thursday that blew his mind. I'm sure that the old school Ram fans or the new schoolers that have done their homework know this FACT. OUR LA RAMS, are the only team to have starting AND backup QBS to be named pro bowlers in the same year. Norm van Brocklin and Bob Waterfield. That's just amazing and unheard of, especially in these days. THAT my friends, will never, ever, ever ever, ever be duplicated. We are indeed a unique group with ALOT of history.

RamsFan1966

Re: Van Brocklin or Waterfield?

Postby RamsFan1966 » 20 Feb 2016, 20:04

RhinoRam wrote:I gave my son some Ram history 2 days ago on a Thursday that blew his mind. I'm sure that the old school Ram fans or the new schoolers that have done their homework know this FACT. OUR LA RAMS, are the only team to have starting AND backup QBS to be named pro bowlers in the same year. Norm van Brocklin and Bob Waterfield. That's just amazing and unheard of, especially in these days. THAT my friends, will never, ever, ever ever, ever be duplicated. We are indeed a unique group with ALOT of history.

I couldn't agree more. There is no way that will be replicated. I wasn't born yet, but I have always read about what the Rams were like b4 I followed them. That was a great offense back in the early 50's. Van Brocklin still holds the single game most yards in the air at 554 yards or something like that. With today's game where everybody throws well (except the Rams) you would think it would get broken but it still hasn't.

Rampager66

Postby Rampager66 » 21 Feb 2016, 13:00

In an era where players played both sides of the ball and 3 yards and a cloud of dust football ruled the day these guys put up GSOT type numbers. They were great players on great offenses.

EkernMLB

Postby EkernMLB » 21 Apr 2016, 19:12

And in 1951, when they won their championship, the coach Joe Stydahar purged his offensive line. So that may be the only season in NFL history when the champion started 5 rookies on the line.

Of course it helped that the draft was 30(!!!!) rounds back then, and the coach was a Chicago Bears Hall of Fame lineman, back when the Monsters of the Midway were winning championshps on a regular basis. And their oline coach was Mel Hein -the legendary center for the Giants, probably the best lineman of the first quarter century of the NFL.

They also drafted Hall of Fame DE Andy Robustelli in the 19th round. He ended up on the great Giant defenses of the late 50s, winning a 2nd championship in '56 and playing in the 'NFL's Greatest Game', the famous OT game versus Johnny U's Colts.

Crazy Legs Hirsch might have had the greatest season of any WR for the Rams in 51. He had 66 catches for 1495 and 17 TDs in 12 games! Back when you could tackle the receiver off the line. If you project that over a 16 games season its just insane.

That was one heck of a fun team - wish I could time travel to go to their games.

Return to “Rams History”