So how did it begin for you?

History of the Los Angeles Rams
Kenny

So how did it begin for you?

Postby Kenny » 20 Apr 2016, 04:30

Your RAM love, I'm talking! I'm a long-time LA RAMS fan, BRAND NEW NERD to this site, and so COMPLETELY stoked they are back home where they belong. I wanna hear your stories!

For me it was 1977, and I was in the 4th grade. We were a military family, and had just moved from Virginia to Kansas.

Now, as a kid in Virginia, we followed baseball. Every kid played little-league baseball from basically the time they could walk. We played wiffle-ball on the street corners, and in back yards, and actual baseball wherever we could.

But for whatever reason, in Kansas it was different. Football was the thing. Which was weird; in 1977 the George Brett-fueled Royals were dominant, and the Chiefs stunk. But no, for my class of 4th graders, it was all about pro football. Recess was all about two-hand touch (or two-hand shove-into-the-dirt), and half of my classmates were all Dallas Cowboy fans. Even my dad loved Roger Staubach.

By the third week I realized I would have to choose a team to be my own.

And there was no way it was going to be the Dallas Cowboys.

(Or the Chiefs. They really stunk!)

I knew a LITTLE bit of the Rams. I knew they had Joe Namath, even if he didn't play much. Every kid knew Joe Namath. But he wasn't enough to draw me to them.

The playoffs rolled around, and I decided to actually WATCH a game. As it happened, it was Vikings vs. Rams, in what would later be termed the "Mud Bowl," and ... let me tell you, if you can take yourself back to those days... A kid, watching on a black-and-white television set... and absolutely captivated by what was unfurling before my eyes. Two teams, drenched in rain, caked in mud... two teams with cool HORNS on their helmets, SLAMMING into each other, over and over again, sliding all over the field...

It was crazy. And it was like a religious experience. By halftime I realized ONE of these teams would be MINE. I just had to choose.

I chose the Rams.

They lost. (Maybe shoulda took the hint, no?)

(Though hindsight being what it is, thank god I didn't choose the Vikings. Zero rings and a hatred for one's own kicker that is real.)

(Ring? Why yes, thank you. God bless you, Greatest Show on Turf; God bless you, Mike Jones.)

Followed 'em ever since. Jack Youngblood, Jim Youngblood (no relation). Vince Ferragamo, Lawrence McCutcheon. Wendell Tyler and his fumbles and his end zone prayer. Tony Zendejas. John Robinson and Ground Chuck. Erik Dickerson. Crissy Everett. Dieter freaking Brock. Jerome Bettis, Isaac Bruce (who I just KNEW would be great, not lying)!

As an adult I moved to Los Angeles--well, Orange County, to be precise...

... but it was two years after the Rams had already left for St. Louis. Timing is everything, right?

Doesn't matter where they play; I'll love 'em. They're my Rams, and clearly they are your Rams. I bleed blue and gold and... millennium blue... or whatever that ugly color is.

And they're home again.

So how'd it begin for you?

--Kenny

Autumn is Coming.

EkernMLB

Re: So how did it begin for you?

Postby EkernMLB » 22 Apr 2016, 10:54

Lineage. My dad was a LA Ram fan, he brainwashed me at an early age. :D Plus we are distantly related to a former Ram great, so it was like rooting for family.

England Ram

Postby England Ram » 23 Apr 2016, 12:00

22 October 1989 at Anaheim Stadium v Saints. 21-40 loss. I'd seen exhibition games in London, but this was the real thing, a real NFL game.

ltrcar1958

Postby ltrcar1958 » 24 Apr 2016, 07:26

My first memory of following the Rams was in the playoff game in 1969 against Minnesota. I was 11 years old at the time and went to all our local high school games with my Dad. This was the first time that I can remember watching a pro game on TV. I remember I was pretty upset with the loss against the Vikings, but I was hooked and pretty much became loyal fan until they left Los Angeles. That was the last Ram game I ever watched with my Dad as he passed away in the summer of 1970. Later in life I have moved to Ohio and became a Browns fan, as I didn't want to become a band wagon Steelers fan! I guess I am now a fan of two teams as the Rams have moved back to LA. I remember listening to Dick Enberg describe the game at home games on KMPC, which never came in real clear in the San Gabriel Valley. Home games were never on TV as it was almost impossible to sell out the Coliseum in those days with 100,000 seating capacity. It is going to be a learning experience learning the Rams players at this time, as after they moved to St. Louis I was done.

Classic Rams

Postby Classic Rams » 25 Apr 2016, 20:01

1975. Playoff game vs Dallas. I almost became a Cowboy fan when it was over, was wanting them to win that SB after the Rams were eliminated. But the next season I was back with the Rams again to stay and never again liked the Cowboys. In fact I hated them along wtih the Vikings and 9ers.

http://s1110.photobucket.com/user/rams_lakers/media/rams/Goff NEW.jpg.html]Image

Back in L.A.!
Safety Putz and Vinny the vegetable are on my ignore list.

ram2456

Postby ram2456 » 03 May 2016, 19:33

I remember watching a game in the mud vs the Colts . I think it was 1971 on a Monday night. I was only 7 at the time but I was hooked

:geek:

LARams_1963

Postby LARams_1963 » 28 Jun 2016, 19:01

I BARELY remember the '69 season. I was just 6, but my dad was getting me going early. I do remember watching Gabriel , Snow, and Ellison We lived in Buena Park and at the end '70 we moved to San Jose. All of the sudden me, a super young LA fan, was amongst the dreaded enemy in NorCal! I spent the next 9 years there, surrounded by Whiner and Giants fans. I stood by my roots and was an avid Rams/Dodgers/Lakers/Kings fan. We finally moved back to Huntington Beach when I was a Freshman and I breathed a sigh of relief! The 70's were an awesome time to grow up a Rams fan, frustrating as hell... but still great! Watching the games when we could in NorCal on TV. Never got to go to a live game during the 70's, because of family $$.

Claremontram

Postby Claremontram » 16 Jul 2016, 13:19

My step-father was a big LA Rams fan and began taking me to an occasional Rams game at the Coliseum starting in 1963. I remember one of the defensive linemen for the Rams was wearing white shoes and that created quite a buzz among the crowd.

I've always been a Rams fan, regardless of where I lived.

Welcome to the forum.

Go Rams!

Cones n' Half Sticks

Postby Cones n' Half Sticks » 16 Sep 2016, 12:20

My earliest memories of football games are of my dad pounding the armrest of the recliner as we watched the Rams on TV. I was probably 6 or 7 at the time.

Prothro

Postby Prothro » 14 Dec 2016, 09:40

I was born in Canoga Park but we moved when I was about two to a place with no pro sports teams around. Since I knew I was from near LA, I naturally became a Rams/Lakers/Dodgers fan. Back when I started watching football on TV (about 1970), we only got to see a couple of games on Sundays and MNF was just beginning. It was a rare treat when I got to see the Rams play, usually on Monday night. If they weren't playing, I'd watch to see them during the halftime highlights. Those white Rams horns on a blue helmet were about the coolest thing I had ever seen. Then, later in the 70's, I started to see a lot more of them when they were in the playoffs every year. True, there were a lot of heartbreaking losses to bear but they were always in the mix and finally played one of the most exciting Super Bowls up to that time against the Steelers in Pasadena. Still the only team to play a Super Bowl in their hometown.

Return to “Rams History”