1963 Rams autograph question
  • flick
    Rookie

1963 Rams autograph question

by flick » 24 Jul 2016, 02:41

I recently acquired a book on boxing that was autographed at the August 1963 annual dinner of Darlington Record Club, in Florence SC. As was typical of the "rubber chicken" circuit, many sports figures were invited to these dinners, many times persons without an obvious link to the event.

My book has an autograph from someone whose name I cannot read. If I had to guess at the last name, I would say "Smith", but I am not at all sure about that. In any case, under his name, the person has written "LA Rams 1963". In checking the rosters for the 1962-64 teams, I don't see any name that looks like a possible match to this signature. Does anyone have a possible guess as to who the signature might be?

autograph.JPG
    autograph.JPG (146.9 KiB) Viewed 461 times

• Rhino Ram
    Rookie

Re: 1963 Rams autograph question

by Rhino Ram » 24 Jul 2016, 19:22

It looks a lot like Les Richter's pen, but he played for the Rams until 62'. The capital "T"s in the personal message are kind of a dead give away.

• flick
    Rookie

by flick » 25 Jul 2016, 04:56

Thanks for the reply. I think Les Richter is at least plausible, though the letter at the start of the first name does not look much like an "L".

As far as the 1963 date, it occurred to me (after my initial posting) that to be able to attend a August 1963 dinner, a player on the active roster would be at training camp, not at a dinner in South Carolina. So the "1963" could just be the signer writing down the date of the signature.

I did go back and look at older rosters, and did not see other possible matches.

Also, more importantly, after he retired Richter had a NASCAR affiliation, serving as the General Manager of the Riverside International Raceway starting in 1962. So it actually makes sense that he would have attended this Darlington Record Club event.

I believe you have solved the mystery! Thanks so much for your help.

• Rhino Ram
    Rookie

by Rhino Ram » 25 Jul 2016, 07:08

NP, yeah I reside in Riverside so I know a little bit about him. He signed the L real similar to a B, my mother in law was his nurse when he stayed in Loma Linda hospital in Redlands. She said he was one hell of a guy.