our defense sucked last season

General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
Safety Blitz
Veteran

Wed May 16, 2018 7:48 am

They ranked 28th in rushing yards allowed, 30th in yards per carry allowed and were 25th in percentage of drives allowed that ended in scores (30.6 percent). Those aren’t great numbers, and while the pass defense was decent, there was certainly room for improvement.
alden gonzales

6 new starters will help...

"In McVay We Trust!"

Clovis
Veteran

Wed May 16, 2018 8:02 am

I watched 17 games. From that experience I don't need to find statistics to explain to me what I saw. I saw a defense that was pretty good overall but not great. Considering it was the first year in a 3-4 defense using players that were drafted to play in a 4-3 defense it was not bad. The frustrating thing to me was teams ran the ball down our throats at times. I expect we will see something totally different this year

crazy-legs
Veteran

Wed May 16, 2018 8:23 am

Our LB play killed us last year hence why you'll see at least 2 new starters this year and I like the guy a lot but Quinn has always sucked against the run. He would get washed out time and again. I expect us to be a lot more stout against the run this year and our pass D should also improve...

We'll be a top 5 defense this year IMO...

Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...

Safety Blitz
Veteran

Wed May 16, 2018 9:44 am

The run defense was pitiful and we really didn't force many TOs. McVay rightly believes winning the TO battle is the royal road to wins.

The defense didn't help the offense much: Talib, Peters, Kiser, Suh will help this come about.

Rams often had trouble putting teams away early because the defense kept giving up points right after we scored.

We will have a well-rounded team this season if Greg the Leg is available.
Last edited by Safety Blitz on Wed May 16, 2018 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

"In McVay We Trust!"

HellRam
Veteran

Wed May 16, 2018 9:44 am

LBer play last year was a killer. That playoff game against ATL was just atrocious from those guys.

I don't think the D was terrible last year, but it certainly wasn't good. I mentioned last season that the D would have performed better under the 43. That wasn't a shot at Wade even though some saw it as that. But looking back I still think that holds true. Our players last year were not great fits for the 34 ( particularly the LBs).

Scheme wise we should be much better at LB this year. Still lots of question marks though.

Ants
Veteran

Wed May 16, 2018 9:59 am

From what I recall, the Rams defense was pretty bad in the 1st half of games, but really played will in the 2nd half - which I found encouraging.
But yeah, their defense was a bit disappointing - but not unexpected, considering they went from a 4-3 to a 3-4.

:idea: Let's win some games.

sanbagger
Veteran

Wed May 16, 2018 11:07 am

Ants wrote:
From what I recall, the Rams defense was pretty bad in the 1st half of games, but really played will in the 2nd half - which I found encouraging.
But yeah, their defense was a bit disappointing - but not unexpected, considering they went from a 4-3 to a 3-4.
I thought the same thing....Wade did a terrific job making adjustments at half time. I was so used to the Rams playing worse in the 2nd half that it was refreshing and I also made a couple of mentions of that.

RamPower
Veteran

Wed May 16, 2018 11:13 am

sanbagger wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:07 am
Ants wrote:
I thought the same thing....Wade did a terrific job making adjustments at half time. I was so used to the Rams playing worse in the 2nd half that it was refreshing and I also made a couple of mentions of that.
Agree.

Run defense needs to improve we can all agree. But partial examining of stats tells partial stories. How many points (avg) does a defense give up per game? (esp. point differential with the offense). Turnovers/turnover margin? And yes, in-game adjustments for our defense (did we look better as the game got down to crunch?). Again, we also gave up quite a few explosion plays via our run defense, but late in games seemed a kinda different story, etc.

REGARDLESS, look at what we've added to the D so far this off season anyway…

sanbagger
Veteran

Wed May 16, 2018 11:18 am

RamPower wrote:

Agree.

Run defense needs to improve we can all agree. But partial examining of stats tells partial stories. How many points (avg) does a defense give up per game? (esp. point differential with the offense). Turnovers/turnover margin? And yes, in-game adjustments for our defense (did we look better as the game got down to crunch?). Again, we also gave up quite a few explosion plays via our run defense, but late in games seemed a kinda different story, etc.

I think the adjustment to a 34 wasn't that bad....If you look at still photos of the Rams D pre-snap it looks eerily similar to the 43.....I lean more towards having different pieces to the puzzle so Wade could exploit some things and the Rams spent the majority of their picks on offense last year.

I tend to think they are going to a more dynamic defense this year....not so sure they are top 5 yet but I certainly can see them top 15 and a slight chance they are top 10.

Safety Blitz
Veteran

Wed May 16, 2018 12:17 pm

Pass rush wasn't that great either. And to watch opponents gain hit 3rd and long pass completions regularly was hard to take. McVay and Wade did a helluva job to get 11 wins.

It will be fun to see teams try to catch us from behind in the second half this season.

Watching opposing rushers gash our defense for long runs again and again was hardt o take. Truth is, I delight in watching a defense throttle an offense more than an offense beating up on the defense. Hope to see Suh and Donald smack Jimmy G around.

"In McVay We Trust!"

Ants
Veteran

Wed May 16, 2018 12:43 pm

Safety Blitz wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:17 pm
Pass rush wasn't that great either. And to watch opponents gain hit 3rd and long pass completions regularly was hard to take. McVay and Wade did a helluva job to get 11 wins.

True, but those 3rd and long conversions were even worse the previous 2 seasons as I recall. So to me, last year was an improvement in that regard. 8-)

:idea: Let's win some games.

RamPower
Veteran

Wed May 16, 2018 2:31 pm

sanbagger wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:18 am
RamPower wrote:

Agree.

I think the adjustment to a 34 wasn't that bad....If you look at still photos of the Rams D pre-snap it looks eerily similar to the 43.....I lean more towards having different pieces to the puzzle so Wade could exploit some things and the Rams spent the majority of their picks on offense last year.

I tend to think they are going to a more dynamic defense this year....not so sure they are top 5 yet but I certainly can see them top 15 and a slight chance they are top 10.
Yep. D strong in the back, strong in the front with top proven players. Youth on the edge/in-between flying around with Wade making the calls sounds potentially very impressive...together with Rams O and D complementing each other via consistently winning the field position battles.

Not to mention our League best special teams...

Safety Blitz
Veteran

Thu May 17, 2018 7:09 am

Yes, we should be getting much better field position by forcing more 3 and outs.

"In McVay We Trust!"

bigklein
Starter

Thu May 17, 2018 9:49 am

Ants sums it up nicely:
1) Those first half gashes through the gut most weeks formed a painful pattern, despite the often amazing second half adjustments. (I often wondered why they couldn’t have made those adjustments sooner.). That must—and should—change with the new personnel.
2) The 3rd and long burns painfully common in the Fisher-Williams days certainly decreased this past year. No reason to think that progress won’t continue.

DOOM357
Starter

Thu May 17, 2018 2:47 pm

Safety Blitz wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:48 am
They ranked 28th in rushing yards allowed, 30th in yards per carry allowed and were 25th in percentage of drives allowed that ended in scores (30.6 percent). Those aren’t great numbers, and while the pass defense was decent, there was certainly room for improvement.
alden gonzales

6 new starters will help...
The thing that saved our defense was our offense. When we played from ahead it was very good. When we allowed them to stay in the game by keeping it close. It allowed them to run the ball and we sacked at stopping the run