Tavon Austin - Now What ??

General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Uplandram2

eas-ram
Rookie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:13 pm

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:25 am

With the trade for Sammy Watkins I don't see how he fits anywhere... Could the Rams be working on another trade, maybe we get that 2nd round draft pick back ?



Ram Man
Starter
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:54 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Contact:

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:27 am

The best part of this deal is that Tavon--if he isn't traded (that contract though)--will now be installed as the team's 4th WR/gadget guy, where he should have been playing basically since he was drafted.
Last edited by Ram Man on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.



TBUX
Veteran
Posts: 2165
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:32 pm

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:29 am

I have to think Tavon is on the block- Love to get a corner back, or a Olineman if we don't or cant get a draft pick back. If I am NO, NE, Oak, Det I am absolutely inquiring about TAVON.



Ram Man
Starter
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:54 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Contact:

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:30 am

TBUX wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:29 am
I have to think Tavon is on the block- Love to get a corner back, or a Olineman if we don't or cant get a draft pick back. If I am NO, NE, Oak, Det I am absolutely inquiring about TAVON.
I don't think anyone in their right mind would take on that contract. Thanks, Demoff. Thanks, Snead.



User avatar
Safety Blitz
Veteran
Posts: 1015
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:07 pm

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:48 am

Woods-Watkins-Tavon in the Slot
Woods-Watkins-Kupp in the Slot
Woods-Watkins-Cooper in the Slot
Thomas-Watkins-Kupp in the Slot


Tavon as Gurley's Back-up? LOL


If I were a Ram WR I'd be worried about finding playing time. Maybe Tavon's injury is worse than stated?


"In McVay We Trust!"

Henry VIII
Veteran
Posts: 1172
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:10 pm

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:51 am

TBUX wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:29 am
I have to think Tavon is on the block- Love to get a corner back, or a Olineman if we don't or cant get a draft pick back. If I am NO, NE, Oak, Det I am absolutely inquiring about TAVON.
Wow how quickly you have abandoned Tavons sinking ship. No one is going to pay him that kind of money to run back returns or be a gadget player only your dumb ass Head coach did and now we will be lucky to get a team to eat his contract.


Get ready, little lady. Hell is coming to breakfast.

TBUX
Veteran
Posts: 2165
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:32 pm

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:04 am

Henry VIII wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:51 am
TBUX wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:29 am
I have to think Tavon is on the block- Love to get a corner back, or a Olineman if we don't or cant get a draft pick back. If I am NO, NE, Oak, Det I am absolutely inquiring about TAVON.
Wow how quickly you have abandoned Tavons sinking ship. No one is going to pay him that kind of money to run back returns or be a gadget player only your dumb ass Head coach did and now we will be lucky to get a team to eat his contract.

I haven't jumped ship at all. I like Tavon- but I'm a realist and where does he play now? and If I am a NO or NE I would absolutely try for Tavon- with those type QBs and systems- Tavon would be huge. So lets see what happens. I have never doubted TA's ability- I think they have been thwarted by our system, oline and QB play.



toast49
Veteran
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:26 am

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:08 am

Ram Man wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:30 am
TBUX wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:29 am
I have to think Tavon is on the block- Love to get a corner back, or a Olineman if we don't or cant get a draft pick back. If I am NO, NE, Oak, Det I am absolutely inquiring about TAVON.
I don't think anyone in their right mind would take on that contract. Thanks, Demoff. Thanks, Snead.
I think the team has already paid his roster bonus, so his total compensation is 8 million for this year if he's traded. I don't think that would be a problem for most teams. He's tradeable



User avatar
SoCalRam78
Veteran
Posts: 1618
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 8:53 am
Location: Southern California

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:10 am

Austin is an expensive toy. Guy was a reach, was over drafted and then overpaid, and let's face facts, that's on Fisher. Pretty sure McVay and company would have realized his limitations if they had 3 seasons to work with him before deciding to extend him like Fisher did.

But hey, we can't all be offensive geniuses like Rod Boras.

Idiots.


Fan since 80s

EkernMLB
Starter
Posts: 460
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:50 am

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:12 am

Yep, he's tradeable, and I'd assume he's either traded or cut by next season to make cap room open to sign Watkins to a long term deal.

This year though he might stick around, we'll see. He's a huge matchup problem as the #4 for most teams. Remember the Greatest Show on Turf when Az Hakim was making huge plays?



User avatar
Raminator
Bench Warmer
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:04 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:22 am

Saw this on ROTOWORLD:
According to Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports, the Rams aren't shopping Tavon Austin.
There was speculation Austin could be dealt after the Rams acquired Sammy Watkins from Buffalo on Friday, but multiple outlets have confirmed that isn't the case. Obviously Watkins' presence will mean fewer targets for Austin, whose fantasy appeal was flimsy to begin with. A glorified gadget player (despite ludicrous comparisons to DeSean Jackson), the former eighth overall pick ranked 123rd out of 154 qualified receivers in yards per reception last season.



Idaho_Ram
Starter
Posts: 302
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:07 am

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:31 am

wrote: A glorified gadget player (despite ludicrous comparisons to DeSean Jackson)
I love comments like this. Why is it ludicrous? They aren't similar in size and speed? We're not comparing offensive systems, but athletes.

At any rate, we now have a bevy of serviceable talent at the WR position. For that I am glad. Our CB depth however did take a big hit.



User avatar
Commish
Veteran
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:00 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:47 am

Idaho_Ram wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:31 am
wrote: A glorified gadget player (despite ludicrous comparisons to DeSean Jackson)
I love comments like this. Why is it ludicrous? They aren't similar in size and speed? We're not comparing offensive systems, but athletes.

At any rate, we now have a bevy of serviceable talent at the WR position. For that I am glad. Our CB depth however did take a big hit.
I'm figuring that Wade Phillips has been at least moderately impressed by young backup CBs like Troy Hill and Michael Jordan.

My #2 concern with Sammy Watkins (after his injury issues) would be our team's ability to re-sign him next year, should he perform effectively this season... :? ;) :idea:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish


McCOY: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

Henry VIII
Veteran
Posts: 1172
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:10 pm

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:47 am

TBUX wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:04 am
Henry VIII wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:51 am
TBUX wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:29 am
I have to think Tavon is on the block- Love to get a corner back, or a Olineman if we don't or cant get a draft pick back. If I am NO, NE, Oak, Det I am absolutely inquiring about TAVON.
Wow how quickly you have abandoned Tavons sinking ship. No one is going to pay him that kind of money to run back returns or be a gadget player only your dumb ass Head coach did and now we will be lucky to get a team to eat his contract.

I haven't jumped ship at all. I like Tavon- but I'm a realist and where does he play now? and If I am a NO or NE I would absolutely try for Tavon- with those type QBs and systems- Tavon would be huge. So lets see what happens. I have never doubted TA's ability- I think they have been thwarted by our system, oline and QB play.
Thwarted by our system = Fisher, Poor Online = Fisher, QB play = Fisher. The 2 teams you mentioned won't trade for him unless its very heavily favors them. Tavon has a bunch of talent, but he is a twenner and now has a big fat contract hanging around our neck it will be nearly impossible for us to get an equal trade for him.


Get ready, little lady. Hell is coming to breakfast.

TBUX
Veteran
Posts: 2165
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:32 pm

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:52 am

If they think they can use him properly at wr/rb to go with his punt return skills, I don't think they will be scared of his contract.



Ramsfan08ny
Starter
Posts: 486
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:30 pm

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:01 pm

Commish wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:47 am
Idaho_Ram wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:31 am
wrote: A glorified gadget player (despite ludicrous comparisons to DeSean Jackson)
I love comments like this. Why is it ludicrous? They aren't similar in size and speed? We're not comparing offensive systems, but athletes.

At any rate, we now have a bevy of serviceable talent at the WR position. For that I am glad. Our CB depth however did take a big hit.
I'm figuring that Wade Phillips has been at least moderately impressed by young backup CBs like Troy Hill and Michael Jordan.

My #2 concern with Sammy Watkins (after his injury issues) would be our team's ability to re-sign him next year, should he perform effectively this season... :? ;) :idea:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish
As far as resigning Watkins. I think we have a better chance if he has a big year. If the offense crashes and burns again he'll get outta town as fast as he can.



Ramsfan08ny
Starter
Posts: 486
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:30 pm

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:02 pm

My #2 concern with Sammy Watkins (after his injury issues) would be our team's ability to re-sign him next year, should he perform effectively this season... :? ;) :idea:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish
[/quote]

As far as resigning Watkins. I think we have a better chance if he has a big year. If the offense crashes and burns again he'll get outta town as fast as he can.



sanbagger
Veteran
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:38 pm

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:06 pm

Henry VIII wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:47 am
TBUX wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:04 am
Henry VIII wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:51 am


Wow how quickly you have abandoned Tavons sinking ship. No one is going to pay him that kind of money to run back returns or be a gadget player only your dumb ass Head coach did and now we will be lucky to get a team to eat his contract.

I haven't jumped ship at all. I like Tavon- but I'm a realist and where does he play now? and If I am a NO or NE I would absolutely try for Tavon- with those type QBs and systems- Tavon would be huge. So lets see what happens. I have never doubted TA's ability- I think they have been thwarted by our system, oline and QB play.
Thwarted by our system = Fisher, Poor Online = Fisher, QB play = Fisher. The 2 teams you mentioned won't trade for him unless its very heavily favors them. Tavon has a bunch of talent, but he is a twenner and now has a big fat contract hanging around our neck it will be nearly impossible for us to get an equal trade for him.
He does not have a big fat contract hanging over his head....in fact, his contract is very team friendly next year.

The Rams have been front loading all of their contracts so they can get out of them if need be. TA's contract for the next couple years would be something another team would find attractive after this year....very real possibility they move TA next year if they can get something done with Sammy.



RamFanFor55
Veteran
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:30 am

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:16 pm

Several spot on comments. Agree with SoCalRam re Austin being a horrible over-reach on draft day (and said so), and an even more stunning mistake paying a 'trick play/punt returner' $42 million bucks. No way had he proven he was worth even half that. Now, who's going to take that absurd contract? And if he's on the team they'll HAVE to play him, since he's making what, $700,000 a game, more than several other WRs on the team make in a season. So guys who have a future, with playing time, will have to sit on the bench while the tiny 'slot' guy gets five yards a catch. Bad situation.
Not sure what Sanbagger's saying. Austin's salary is $15 million this year (DEAR GOD!!), with similar cap hit; "only" $8 million next year, but is OVER $9 mill a year 2019-20-21, with a similar cap hit. That doesn't seem trade friendly.
And Watkins? Two questions: Can he stay healthy, and can the OL give Goff time to increase his downfield throws to make use of him? One throw out of seven 15+ yards is beyond ridiculous, and much of why Gurley bombed last year--zero downfield threat and a stacked box. Back to the OL's ability.



sanbagger
Veteran
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:38 pm

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:46 pm

RamFanFor55 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:16 pm
Several spot on comments. Agree with SoCalRam re Austin being a horrible over-reach on draft day (and said so), and an even more stunning mistake paying a 'trick play/punt returner' $42 million bucks. No way had he proven he was worth even half that. Now, who's going to take that absurd contract? And if he's on the team they'll HAVE to play him, since he's making what, $700,000 a game, more than several other WRs on the team make in a season. So guys who have a future, with playing time, will have to sit on the bench while the tiny 'slot' guy gets five yards a catch. Bad situation.
Not sure what Sanbagger's saying. Austin's salary is $15 million this year (DEAR GOD!!), with similar cap hit; "only" $8 million next year, but is OVER $9 mill a year 2019-20-21, with a similar cap hit. That doesn't seem trade friendly.
And Watkins? Two questions: Can he stay healthy, and can the OL give Goff time to increase his downfield throws to make use of him? One throw out of seven 15+ yards is beyond ridiculous, and much of why Gurley bombed last year--zero downfield threat and a stacked box. Back to the OL's ability.
Contracts are all about GTD money....the Rams have already paid TA's Roster bonus for this year so that counts against the Rams...If they traded him this year the other team would only be responsible for his 3.5 mil salary and next years salary and roster bonus 8 mil....nothing after that is GTD....meaning they keep him if they want to pay, renegotiate, cut, or trade.

I would think he could be moved fairly easy especially next year if they pay the roster bonus and all the team owes is his salary.



User avatar
majik
Starter
Posts: 455
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:27 pm

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:00 pm

Two words: Darren Sproles



User avatar
Wildflecken
Veteran
Posts: 1301
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:07 am

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:30 pm

Of course the Rams are not stating they are shopping TA. Lets talk about this again when a team suffers a camp injury in which TA could be the solution. Sanbagger good post concerning the status of the contract.

If TA does play 2017 with Rams, key will be keeping him in the right frame of mind while he occurs a dramatic reduction in the number of touches. As crazy as it sounds, his production could very well rise as his touches are reduced. TA's largest value is what he can provide out of the backfield. McVay loves the power running attack. Gurley, Brown and TA could be a dynamic triple headed threat when Rams go power, and they will have room to run with Woods, Watkins, Kupp and Higbee as receiving threats.



Robocop
Starter
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:37 pm

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:47 pm

Everyone loves to play GM. Tavon's not going anywhere yet. They just want to surround Goff with as many weapons as possible and see what he does with it. And let the pieces fall where they may as the season goes.



pmill66
Starter
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:03 pm

Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Tavon is not participating in camp as of now. Might as well keep him and see how he does in an offense with a quality coaching staff. Dump him at the end of the year if he is not productive. If he is productive, move him in 2018 for a draft pick.



User avatar
69RamFan
Pro-bowler
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:19 pm
Location: LA-CA By way of NY/NJ

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:18 pm

All of these bloggers are saying what is going to happen with TA.

This is how I see it,

The RAMs would look really good spreading the offense in a four WR set.... of Woods, Kupp, TA, and Watkins.

During that play I posted; Goff to Kupp TD, it was in a four wide set...

I love this move, just more weapons for Goff, and the league Defense won't be stacking the box like they did in the pass...

Gurley is licking his chops...

:D :D :D



Post Reply