Thoughts on Tavon

General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Uplandram2

AlamoRamFan
Bench Warmer

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:02 am

Hate to beat this old dead horse but I just don't think Tavon is worth that rare wow moment he gets occasionally. All that dancing in the backfield yesterday just digging himself deeper holes on every chance he got. I know people say he draws attention from opposing teams when he is in there, but does he really...more than any other receiver we could run those plays with. I don't know...maybe I'm not seeing his true value.

Clovis
Veteran

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:08 am

Rough day yesterday for sure. It seems someone sees some value in the guy. They looked like they were trying to get him involved. No need to make a decision now, I'll wait and see what happens.

Robocop
Veteran

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:41 am

Clovis wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:08 am
Rough day yesterday for sure. It seems someone sees some value in the guy. They looked like they were trying to get him involved. No need to make a decision now, I'll wait and see what happens.
They weren't trying to hard he had some standards runs. Nobody blocked for the dude every single time!

Ram Stien
Starter

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:11 am

I would like to see them target him down field some.

harkin
Veteran

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:51 am

Use him on some screens and outlet passes.

If it has to be a run from the backfield, don’t hand off, pitch it to him.

69RamFan
Pro-bowler

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:11 pm

He didn't have a very good game yesterday,

But he is still a value,,, on the little things he does...

RadRacerRams
Starter

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:45 pm

AlamoRamFan wrote:
Hate to beat this old dead horse but I just don't think Tavon is worth that rare wow moment he gets occasionally. All that dancing in the backfield yesterday just digging himself deeper holes on every chance he got. I know people say he draws attention from opposing teams when he is in there, but does he really...more than any other receiver we could run those plays with. I don't know...maybe I'm not seeing his true value.
Hey he's just running the plays McVay is calling :shock: .......!!!

Did that finally wake you Up :!: Don't forget Tavon is the Guy who Ran a hand off for a TD against the She-hawks.........!!! and has plays gone for positive yardage......and on top of that He don't B!tch about a diminished roll as a backup gadget running back...... 8-)

Go Rams : don'tcha think it's time to remove that pad between your legs and move on , Cuz you've really PMS'd about this long enough doofus......... :!: Rams 7-2 .........So what you moaning about

Raminec
Veteran

Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:31 pm

Teams that have good speed really shut down his sweep game and he spends too much time juking sideways instead of getting upfield. That being said his presence still draws coverage responsibly and opens up lanes in the running game. Like him as a decoy but would rather have someone else carrying the ball with the game on the line.

NorCal RF
Veteran

Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:37 pm

At times I wish they would ditch the plays they have for him and just run a more traditional passing offense with Reynolds as the 4th WR.

rong
Starter

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:52 pm

harkin wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:51 am
Use him on some screens and outlet passes.

If it has to be a run from the backfield, don’t hand off, pitch it to him.
Yeah, I agree....get him in space...I'd love to see him on a screen pass with some blockers out front....def pitch the ball to him, he's not a traditional running back

29TheBest
Starter

Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:11 pm

Well I am sorry, he is not worth the $$ we are dishing out to him. I think his fate is sealed and he will be someone else's problem next year. Sorry all you folks trying to hang on!!!

sanbagger
Veteran

Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:22 pm

29TheBest wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:11 pm
Well I am sorry, he is not worth the $$ we are dishing out to him. I think his fate is sealed and he will be someone else's problem next year. Sorry all you folks trying to hang on!!!
Actually, next year it's fairly cheap to keep him so I don't think the money would be the deciding factor....I think it's more of a does he fit with what McV and Co. are trying to do and at this point I don't think he is as he is relegated to jet sweeps at this point and they weren't all that successful against Houston.

rong
Starter

Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:34 pm

One or two jet sweeps a game are good for me, unless they're working well...haven't seen too much evidence of that yet. I'm honestly a little disappointed crazy McVay hasn't designed the way to fully utilize his unique talent....it seems obvious...why not stretch the field with him....haven't seen any traditional screens other than those stupid flanker screens that go no where

NN1Badboy
Veteran

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:17 pm

AlamoRamFan wrote:
I agree. He has some value to the team in some situations, but there is no way that he deserves the amount of money that he is being paid. We need to cut bait if he won’t take a pay cut, and use that money to get Donald in a long term contract. He has definately earned it.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:21 pm

You save 3 million dollars cutting him.

Is cutting him worth that. Can you replace his impact for that amount?

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

Clovis
Veteran

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:17 pm

Dick84 wrote:

No

CierraRam
Starter

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:43 pm

Dick84 wrote:

As of right now that answer would be no you cant. The only player on the roster right now that can do all that Tavon does is Cooper. Thing is, Cooper doesnt have Tavon's speed and change of direction. Which is exactly what opponents have to be mindful of every time Tavon is on the field.I still think Cooper can do all of those things and be effective. But not to the point of always having to be watched. And for 3 million savings it's not worth the release.

Henry VIII
Veteran

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:52 pm

rong wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:34 pm
One or two jet sweeps a game are good for me, unless they're working well...haven't seen too much evidence of that yet. I'm honestly a little disappointed crazy McVay hasn't designed the way to fully utilize his unique talent....it seems obvious...why not stretch the field with him....haven't seen any traditional screens other than those stupid flanker screens that go no where
The main problem with Tavon is his route running, he isn't good at it that's why McVay can't design a bunch of options for him. McVays whole offensive scheme is about precision and timing and Tavon doesn't have the mental capacity to learn and execute what is asked of him. I'm sorry but that's just the cold hard truth.

Get ready, little lady. Hell is coming to breakfast.

harkin
Veteran

Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:33 pm

His value would be higher if he was any good at what his speed and elusiveness are tailor-made for, punt returns, but he has shown he’s a turnover machine.

Rammer
Veteran

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:12 am

Dick84 wrote:

Yep, I think this is the issue. Of course he isn't worth the contract. But the contract is there now.

Robocop
Veteran

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:25 am

With his injuries in training camp I don't think McVay really got a chance to figure him out. It's not like he has time during the season to do that stuff a lot. Little reason to cut him next season. I think McVay would like to get a better look at him first.

69RamFan
Pro-bowler

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:30 am

Those that hate the contract,,

Get over it... :lol: :lol: :lol:

TA isn't going any where.....

Henry VIII
Veteran

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:25 pm

69RamFan wrote:

Unless he agrees to restructure his contract to help the Rams out he probably won't be back. He is great as a decoy and he keeps the defense on its heels but that contract is going to be a problem whether you want to admit it or not.

69RamFan
Pro-bowler

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:54 pm

Henry VIII wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:25 pm
69RamFan wrote:

Unless he agrees to restructure his contract to help the Rams out he probably won't be back. He is great as a decoy and he keeps the defense on its heels but that contract is going to be a problem whether you want to admit it or not.
He is guarantee 5 mil and there is nothing we can do about that,,, and his salary is 3 mil... for next year.

If we cut him, we still eat the 5 mil and save just 3 mil in salary,,,,

so for 3 mil, what player is out there that we can get to his skill sets for 3mil?

But right now, I'm not thinking about next year,,,,

I'm all in for this year...

TA is being ask to do certain things to help out the offense and it working well... It keeps the Defense from cheating and being honest..... that helps every other skill players that we have including the O-line....

So as far as I'm concern,,,, that's money being well spent.....

7 and 2

Henry VIII
Veteran

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:08 pm

They can draft a hot shot speedy WR in the fourth or 5th round next year to do what he is only doing now and it's not going to cost us 5 million per year. He already was benched on punt returns so we lost him doing that.