The draft and in the opinion of this board

Draft Discussion Forum - Draft Needs, Prospects, Mock Drafts, etc
ADonaldBeast
Starter

Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:11 pm

It has been my experience when the majority of the board is for or against a player or a draft the board is almost one hundred percent right. I can take you all the way back to the trung candidate draft pick to Jacoby Shepherd to Adam carriker to Thai Hill to Greg Robinson. Most of us have been following Rams Our Lives. So we know this team.

All Snead did was draft for depth. I concur with those that are against this draft that we had a chance at least with our first pic to get a playmaker difference-maker and we traded out of that option.

God I'm so tired of the Isaiah pead and Joe klopenstein type pics

Henry VIII
Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:22 pm

Hear! Hear! But I'm not sure its all on Snead.

Get ready, little lady. Hell is coming to breakfast.

Ramsfan08ny
Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:03 pm

Was it a draft for depth? Or is the new regime not as high on last year's rookie crop of receivers that the rams drafted. I will admit, thus years wr's intrigue me more than last years. Maybe the have a crop of UDFA offensive linemen they are planning on bringing in. I like the offensive guts drafted. Just disappointed that it appears that the likes of cooper, thomas, spruce and Hemingway may have been for naught.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:21 pm

Okay.
Personally... this draft looks like they entered it with a plan and moved on that.
Is it a good draft? A bad draft? Heck... none among us knows until they actually play.

But I like what I've read and seen about the players they've chosen. I think Everett and Kupp, specifically, are guys who will play and play early.

I understand people being disappointed about not doing more for the Oline.. but, it's not as if they have not worked to improve the Oline this offseason.

Massive... MASSIVE upgrade to the LT position.. even if it is for one or two years. Solid improvement at Center. Saffold graded out above average last year, so factor that into the criticisms of him. Havenstein was dinged up last year and I like him. GRob? I'm not counting on him. But I think they have enough guys to work with to solve that potential RT/RG problem. This was *not* the year for Tackles.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

Henry VIII
Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:38 pm

Dick84 wrote:Okay.
Personally... this draft looks like they entered it with a plan and moved on that.
Is it a good draft? A bad draft? Heck... none among us knows until they actually play.

But I like what I've read and seen about the players they've chosen. I think Everett and Kupp, specifically, are guys who will play and play early.

I understand people being disappointed about not doing more for the Oline.. but, it's not as if they have not worked to improve the Oline this offseason.

Massive... MASSIVE upgrade to the LT position.. even if it is for one or two years. Solid improvement at Center. Saffold graded out above average last year, so factor that into the criticisms of him. Havenstein was dinged up last year and I like him. GRob? I'm not counting on him. But I think they have enough guys to work with to solve that potential RT/RG problem. This was *not* the year for Tackles.
But Dick, you have to agree if any of our first string offensive lineman suffer a major injury we are screwed. I expect Havenstein to bounce back big time but Saffold is always getting hurt and Sullivan is coming of his 2nd major back surgery, we really should have added Lamp or Elflein who can play at all 3 interior positions.

Claremontram
Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:39 pm

I'm singularly unimpressed with this draft. I expected to get a high impact WR at 37, although the trade down is real typical of Snead.

This new TE better be the real deal.

I'm surprised we did not go after any Olinemen.

We will see.

RAMS 1974
Starter

Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:05 pm

Claremontram wrote:I'm singularly unimpressed with this draft. I expected to get a high impact WR at 37, although the trade down is real typical of Snead.

This new TE better be the real deal.

I'm surprised we did not go after any Olinemen.

We will see.

+1000 :?

RAMS FAN
DURHAMVILLE, NY
(JMF, 1974 xoxox)

Commish
Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:26 pm

Ramsfan08ny wrote:Was it a draft for depth? Or is the new regime not as high on last year's rookie crop of receivers that the rams drafted. I will admit, thus years wr's intrigue me more than last years. Maybe the have a crop of UDFA offensive linemen they are planning on bringing in. I like the offensive guts drafted. Just disappointed that it appears that the likes of cooper, thomas, spruce and Hemingway may have been for naught.
Well, at least it's indicative that the McVay/LaFleur offensive 'brain trust' thus far hasn't been very impressed with them as potential starting receivers, I'd venture. While I do expect a few of them (Tyler Higbee, Pharoh Cooper, possibly Nelson Spruce) to be retained and develop into solid contributors, they *were* after all third-day draft selections (except for Spruce who was undrafted) last year, which doesn't favor them having successful NFL careers.

I'm also figuring it's quite possible that the McVay/LaFleur/Kromer 'triumvirate' has been fairly impressed with our team's returning veteran O-linemen, at least to the degree of believing that guys like Greg Robinson, Jamon Brown and Andrew Donnal can be developed into reliable performers with improved position coaching.

"Nope, that wasn't Jeff Fisher you spotted in the Rams' drafting 'war room' yesterday, not at all..." :? ;) :idea:

RAM POWER!!

--The Commish

McCOY: "Do you think that's all they ever had?"
KIRK: "No, but it's all they had left."

Cat-A-Ram
Starter

Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:41 pm

Another draft done. We didn't have any high pics this year so the plan to move down was good giving us another player. I don't know much about the tide end they picked but I do know quite a bit about Kupp. He was a stud in college and I watched him too many times thread my bobcats defense. He will be the star of this draft. I wish we could've gotten the Center for the future but looks like he was taken a few pics before our pick in the 3 round - our 2nd pick in the 3rd round. I guess they favored Kupp over the center. I can't think of his name right now. The lower picks are always gambles. About a 20% chance they become solid starters.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:45 pm

Henry VIII wrote:

But Dick, you have to agree if any of our first string offensive lineman suffer a major injury we are screwed. I expect Havenstein to bounce back big time but Saffold is always getting hurt and Sullivan is coming of his 2nd major back surgery, we really should have added Lamp or Elflein who can play at all 3 interior positions.
If like more depth.. But the Rams didn't even have good starters last year. I mean.. There's already big improvement, no?
Over under on Saffold is 12 games. He beat that last year.
Depth? I happen to think Donnal is a nice, versatile backup. Are we completely writing off Wichmann & Brown? As I said elsewhere... Kromer & McVau have had the chance to evaluate the guys on tape and in person.
At worst, if healthy, they've improved markedly over last season and have young veterans who *may* improve. Maybe not.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

NN1Badboy
Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:58 pm

WhIle I do agree with you I think Everett and Kupp will play for years. But for the record I would have taken Lamp.

harkin
Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:47 pm

I liked Adam Shaheen more than Everett but holy cats no one will catch the ball if we can't protect the guy we traded the store for.

Henry VIII
Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:25 pm

harkin wrote:I liked Adam Shaheen more than Everett but holy cats no one will catch the ball if we can't protect the guy we traded the store for.

^^^This^^^

Cornell29
Starter

Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:11 pm

It's pretty obvious that Mcvay feels that the rams have enough ol talent on the team and wasn't happy about the WR or TE position. Time will tell if his eaely evaluation is right.

Cornell29
Starter

Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:20 pm

Ramsfan08ny wrote:Was it a draft for depth? Or is the new regime not as high on last year's rookie crop of receivers that the rams drafted. I will admit, thus years wr's intrigue me more than last years. Maybe the have a crop of UDFA offensive linemen they are planning on bringing in. I like the offensive guts drafted. Just disappointed that it appears that the likes of cooper, thomas, spruce and Hemingway may have been for naught.
Who said it was a draft for depth. Its pretty clear that Mcvay didnt like what he seen from Spruce, thomas and hemingway. It's pretty clear that he didn't like the idea of Austin in the slot, and I don't either. Mcvay didnt draft those guys and will be just fine with moving on from them if need be. Mcvay runs a 2 TE set, so another RE was needed.

Cornell29
Starter

Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:23 pm

Henry VIII wrote:

So draft Lamp in case Saffold get hurt? Is that what you are saying?

99rams
Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:45 pm

I wanted WR, OL and CB followed by LB, more WR and Safety. Did not want to trade up but disappointed for what we passed on for what we got on both trade backs and the draft in general.

We didn't have a 1st R, I get that but I'd trade our entire draft for the Chargers top 5 minus Mike Williams right now. No one is excited about this draft and if we get starters out of the top 4 picks all will be forgotten. Gee, what are those odds?....

Ramsfan08ny
Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:46 pm

Cornell29 wrote:
Who said it was a draft for depth. Its pretty clear that Mcvay didnt like what he seen from Spruce, thomas and hemingway. It's pretty clear that he didn't like the idea of Austin in the slot, and I don't either. Mcvay didnt draft those guys and will be just fine with moving on from them if need be. Mcvay runs a 2 TE set, so another RE was needed.
Read the OP. It was suggested that this was a draft for depth. For the record, I disagree with that suggestion.

SoCalRam78
Veteran

Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:36 pm

You think McVay was happy with the remnants Snisher left behind?

This off season they signed a new LT, Center, WR, and backup RB. Then they used their first three picks on TE, WR, WR.

They did what they felt was needed to upgrade a hideous offense. Look, a lot rests on Goff. They didn't have a first round pick. Salary cap space wasn't as much as first thought. McVay and his staff deserve the opportunity to draft their own guys and install their own system. They sure as hell impress me more than Snisher.

Wade Phillips will have this defense playing at a high level, but this team won't win shit without offensive production.

Fan since 80s

Cat-A-Ram
Starter

Wed May 03, 2017 2:47 pm

Since most are down and we got poor grades, that means we have two pro bowl from this draft.