NFL Path to the Draft show segment - Hit, Miss or Meh!

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
malibu
Starter

Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:52 pm

The NFL Path to the Draft show has most nights a segment on each team as to their first round selection going back 6-10 years depending on the team. This segment analyizes the level of success versuses failure of their first round draft picks.

Overwhelmingly most teams HIT on less than 50% of their first round picks. Consistently every team thus far has more misses or Meh (meaning the player has had a so so career).

This is an illuminating sobering fact. This gives a ton of creedence to the Rams taking the guesswork out of the Cooks trade.

It also takes away the need for a learning curve and gives a good snapshot of their off the field demeanor.

I have always endorsed this draft alternative.

Sure if you hit you get a player on the cheap for 5 years but with a less than 50% hit ratio I am really glad in Snead's decision.

Ants
Veteran

Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:45 am

Totally agree...except that Cooks isn't signed long term.
But good post.
I like that segment on the NFL Network.

:idea: Let's win some games.

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:40 am

Exactly,,,,

Its just like some posters on here,,,

Think if we draft a LBer over a OL in the 3rd round,

that they are going to start right off the bat...

They are under estimating our backup players from last season moving up to our starting roles and being under Wades system for a year now....

At best,, the drafted players will be part of our ST and possibly in the rotation with the OLBers..

NN1Badboy
Veteran

Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:22 pm

malibu wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:52 pm
The NFL Path to the Draft show has most nights a segment on each team as to their first round selection going back 6-10 years depending on the team. This segment analyizes the level of success versuses failure of their first round draft picks.

Overwhelmingly most teams HIT on less than 50% of their first round picks. Consistently every team thus far has more misses or Meh (meaning the player has had a so so career).

This is an illuminating sobering fact. This gives a ton of creedence to the Rams taking the guesswork out of the Cooks trade.

It also takes away the need for a learning curve and gives a good snapshot of their off the field demeanor.

I have always endorsed this draft alternative.

Sure if you hit you get a player on the cheap for 5 years but with a less than 50% hit ratio I am really glad in Snead's decision.
Nice post Malibu. I couldn’t agree with you more bro. I think you hit the nail on the head.

29TheBest
Starter

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:02 pm

Excellent post Malibu thanks. It has made me feel better about the trade for Cooks, but I wont be completely sold until we get him locked up long term. 69 brings up good points with some thinking an Edge taken in the 3rd will step right in, I hope not many actually believe that, which means we must rely on our backup's at the linebacker position. Its obvious our coaching staff believes in them paving the way to trade that #1 for Cooks. And I have complete confidence in our staff and back their call.

I think the most important thing in all this is to bring in the BPA's at positions of need and develop these player for a year or 2 down the road. The more I look at things, there are some potential finds in both the Edge, ILB, OL and even Safety in the later rounds with players that will thrive under the tutelage of our staff.

crazy-legs
Veteran

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:13 pm

Cooks was a great trade IMO but I can't believe how little we had to give up to land Peters. To get All-Pro players, who are just hitting their prime, for what we gave up is a freaking steal and I'd do it every day of the week...

Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...

Rate this topic