HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE FOR UDFA

General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
DOOM357
Starter

Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:31 pm

One of the biggest advantage the Rams will have is we will be a magnet for local UDFA's. I truly believe this will be a lasting advantage over the years like it was many years ago.

Ramsfan08ny
Veteran

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:03 pm

That isn't really how it works with undrafted free agents. My nephew went through that process. His agent explained the process to him. Teams have a limited bucket of money for udfa's. The player gets a call from a team. They're told "we're interested in you, here's what we 're offering" . It's now, yay or nay from the player. An udfa does not have the option of saying "I'll let you know". Once a team contacts a player, they decide then, or the team moves on to the next guy on their list. It's typically first come, first serve with these guys. To give an example. If the Bengals make an offer to an udfa, he doesn't have the option to see who else is interested. Otherwise, he could miss out all together. The rams, regardless of location, or anything, are at an even playing field with undrafted free agents. They need to do their himework, and act fast.

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:12 pm

Ramsfan08ny wrote:
That isn't really how it works with undrafted free agents. My nephew went through that process. His agent explained the process to him. Teams have a limited bucket of money for udfa's. The player gets a call from a team. They're told "we're interested in you, here's what we 're offering" . It's now, yay or nay from the player. An udfa does not have the option of saying "I'll let you know". Once a team contacts a player, they decide then, or the team moves on to the next guy on their list. It's typically first come, first serve with these guys. To give an example. If the Bengals make an offer to an udfa, he doesn't have the option to see who else is interested. Otherwise, he could miss out all together. The rams, regardless of location, or anything, are at an even playing field with undrafted free agents. They need to do their himework, and act fast.

Where they have the advantage,,,

They don't have to set up and encluded through the NFL for the list of 30 draft visits.....

So they have two Major local schools in the area the RAMs can visit.....

Ramsfan08ny
Veteran

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:21 pm

69RamFan wrote:
Ramsfan08ny wrote:

They don't have to set up and encluded through the NFL for the list of 30 draft visits.....

Good point.

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:18 pm

Ramsfan08ny wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:21 pm
69RamFan wrote:
Ramsfan08ny wrote:

Good point.
And there is one other exception from an UDFA,,,
a lot of times a team can contact a player a head of time, being informed..
If they dont get drafted in the lower rounds,,, we will sign you to a UDFA contract....
basically a heads up....

Ramsfan08ny
Veteran

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:51 pm

Yes, I have heard of that, in fact once you hit the 7th round, and a player knows that a team wants him, but has no pick, they are sometimes better off not to get drafted.