DO WE HAVE A VON MILLER AT LINEBACKER ON OUR TEAM ALREADY? 6'3" 245 LBS. 4.45 40 YARD AND 24 BENCH REPS!!!

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
sanbagger
Veteran
Posts: 1733
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:38 pm

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:19 pm

What separates Von Miller is what's above the shoulder pads....combine numbers are cool to look but the really great players digest info quicker than everybody else.



User avatar
Wildflecken
Veteran
Posts: 1856
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:07 am

Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:31 pm

Rams addressed the EDGE in the draft an[*]d now that they have, think Wade has sufficient talent to work with.

Unsure I am ready to declare Ebukam a talent equal to Von Miller, but Wade was involved in his selection and his development from day one, and Wade knows how to find the talent he needs in the draft to make his defensive system a success.

If Donald, Suh and Brockers remain relatively healthy throughout the season, Ebukam should have a monster season. He wont face double teams, and players normally make thier largest leap in season two.

Ebukam proved in 2017 he belongs in this league. He quietly had an effective rookie campaign. I agree with the OP in that the physical traits and athleticism are present for him to develop into a pro bowl talent.
However I expect Wade to develop the depth behind him to play a game day role in Wade's sub packages



toast49
Veteran
Posts: 1681
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:26 am

Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:41 pm

One of the great things about Miller is his ability to bend, get underneath the blocker as he turns the corner. I think that's what separates the good edge rushers. Ebukam looked good when he was on the field last year so it will be interesting to see how good he is this year.



User avatar
69RamFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6207
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:19 pm
Location: LA-CA By way of NY/NJ

Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:41 pm

Wildflecken wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:31 pm
Rams addressed the EDGE in the draft an[*]d now that they have, think Wade has sufficient talent to work with.

Unsure I am ready to declare Ebukam a talent equal to Von Miller, but Wade was involved in his selection and his development from day one, and Wade knows how to find the talent he needs in the draft to make his defensive system a success.

If Donald, Suh and Brockers remain relatively healthy throughout the season, Ebukam should have a monster season. He wont face double teams, and players normally make thier largest leap in season two.

Ebukam proved in 2017 he belongs in this league. He quietly had an effective rookie campaign. I agree with the OP in that the physical traits and athleticism are present for him to develop into a pro bowl talent.
However I expect Wade to develop the depth behind him to play a game day role in Wade's sub packages
Correct, we will see plenty of rotating Young and OO (once he comes back from his injury) sprinkled in as our speed rusher....



User avatar
Safety Blitz
Veteran
Posts: 1669
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:07 pm

Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:42 pm

Not worried about our LB corps. We have Longacre, Hager, and Samson who each played well last season. We have Barron and the KC import. I think Littleton and Ebukam, step up big time.

Eager to see what Kiser can do.


"In McVay We Trust!"

sanbagger
Veteran
Posts: 1733
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:38 pm

Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:56 pm

RamsChamps2018 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:40 pm
sanbagger wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:19 pm
What separates Von Miller is what's above the shoulder pads....combine numbers are cool to look but the really great players digest info quicker than everybody else.
When you look at Lawrence Taylor...arguably the best ever to play the game...what I see is not his ability to digest info but his raw athleticism and physical dominance to destroy opposing teams and run over everything they put in front of him. There are some things that can not be learned or taught...you are either born with it or not...LT was born with that ability...physical dominance and speed, agility, athleticism and power to overcome offensive lines.

If you look at Aarron Donald's combine numbers you see that same physical dominance...it was also there with JJ Watts combine numbers as well as the greats I mentioned above...they have that born physical trait and "gift" to dominate opposing offensive lines. Something that can not be learned or taught...what I would call football "instinct"...the great ones have "physical" dominance and the "instinct" to go with it. LT had that "instinct" to know where the ball was going and he had the "dominance" to stop it by running over or through offensive lines!

From what I have seen on film of Ebukam in college he has that "instinct" and from his combine numbers...he also has the physical "dominance"...so this season we will see if I am right in what I see.
I think you are selling great players, like LT, short by saying they were able to dominate because of instinct and a "gift".....I would say they had great instincts but that was because they were gifted with football smarts and an ability to see things others just couldn't see in a quicker fashion. That is something that is learned.

While I think great players have things come very easily for them I also believe they put in the time and effort learning how to be better.



User avatar
Dick84
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7725
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:31 pm

toast49 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:41 pm
One of the great things about Miller is his ability to bend, get underneath the blocker as he turns the corner. I think that's what separates the good edge rushers. Ebukam looked good when he was on the field last year so it will be interesting to see how good he is this year.
This.
I’m a big Ebukam guy.. but he doesn’t have that special bend. Quinn used to have it. No more.


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

toast49
Veteran
Posts: 1681
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:26 am

Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:50 pm

It doesn't matter how good Suh and Donald are inside, the other team will still use their OT to block Ebukam. Can he be a great edge rusher? We will see. WIll the Rams even use Ebukam off the edge in nickel defenses or will they use Easley and Westbrooks in combination with Donald and Suh.



Clovis
Veteran
Posts: 1993
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:59 am

Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:10 pm

RamsChamps2018 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:26 am


Von Millers combine numbers:
6'3" 246 LBS. 4.5 40 YARD AND 21 BENCH REPS

Samson Ebukams combine numbers:
6'3" 245 LBS. 4.5 40 YARD AND 24 BENCH REPS

He is almost exactly the same size and speed as Miller and as another great OLB...Lawrence Taylor who also ran a 4.5 40 and was 6'3" and 237 lbs. Ebukam has the size, strength and speed to be a great OLB...we will soon see as this should be the year he proves his ability on the field!


We will see this season...I think we have a future all pro in Ebukam and that the linebackers we have are going to take the NFL by surprise this year!

Rams Champs 2018!!!
That's an encouraging comparison. I'm not as big on combine numbers as some are but at this point we don't have much else to go on other than Wade wanted him and he had a solid rookie year.

As Tony Dungy once said to his scouts "Leave your stopwatch at home and find me some football players." Wade wanted him and Wade was obviously confident in letting go of Quinn and Ogletree. I'm feeling good bout this D.



RadRacerRams
Veteran
Posts: 697
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:48 pm

Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:19 pm

RamsChamps2018 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:26 am
DO WE HAVE A VON MILLER AT LINEBACKER ON OUR TEAM ALREADY? 6'3" 245 LBS. 4.5 40 YARD AND 24 BENCH REPS

Von Millers combine numbers:
6'3" 246 LBS. 4.5 40 YARD AND 21 BENCH REPS

Samson Ebukams combine numbers:
6'3" 245 LBS. 4.5 40 YARD AND 24 BENCH REPS

Ebukam has run a 4.4 40 at his pro day and is a little faster than Miller and stronger than Miller with 24 reps vs. Millers 21. He has the size and strength to be a great OLB.

He is almost exactly the same size and speed as Miller and as another great OLB...Lawrence Taylor who also ran a 4.5 40 and was 6'3" and 237 lbs. Ebukam has the size, strength and speed to be a great OLB...we will soon see as this should be the year he proves his ability on the field!

Here are some other great linebackers with similar size and speed at the combine:

Luke Keuchly's combine numbers:
6'3" 242 LBS. 4.58 40 YARD AND 27 BENCH REPS

Kahlil Mack's combine numbers:
6'3" 251 LBS. 4.65 40 YARD AND 23 BENCH REPS

Ebukam's numbers are better than these great OLB'rs and almost identical to Lawrence Taylors numbers...

We will see this season...I think we have a future all pro in Ebukam and that the linebackers we have are going to take the NFL by surprise this year!

Rams Champs 2018!!!
if Ebukams can average 10.43 sacks a season for the next 8 years :shock: then we'll have a Von Miller clone on the Rams team...... :!: :!: Until then he's just gonna have to be good at his position.... :arrow: Von Miller has 83.5 sacks over the Last 8 years :o .......that's a Special player right there....,. to have that many Sacks as a LBer/edge rusher is pretty crazy........!!!!

Go RAMS : that's what separates Aaron Donald from the rest .... he's consistently playing at a very high level....... :!: :!:



User avatar
CierraRam
Veteran
Posts: 656
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:24 am
Location: Oregon

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:16 am

RamsChamps2018 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:40 pm
sanbagger wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:19 pm
What separates Von Miller is what's above the shoulder pads....combine numbers are cool to look but the really great players digest info quicker than everybody else.
When you look at Lawrence Taylor...arguably the best ever to play the game...what I see is not his ability to digest info but his raw athleticism and physical dominance to destroy opposing teams and run over everything they put in front of him. There are some things that can not be learned or taught...you are either born with it or not...LT was born with that ability...physical dominance and speed, agility, athleticism and power to overcome offensive lines.

If you look at Aarron Donald's combine numbers you see that same physical dominance...it was also there with JJ Watts combine numbers as well as the greats I mentioned above...they have that born physical trait and "gift" to dominate opposing offensive lines. Something that can not be learned or taught...what I would call football "instinct"...the great ones have "physical" dominance and the "instinct" to go with it. LT had that "instinct" to know where the ball was going and he had the "dominance" to stop it by running over or through offensive lines!

From what I have seen on film of Ebukam in college he has that "instinct" and from his combine numbers...he also has the physical "dominance"...so this season we will see if I am right in what I see.

I will never take anything away from Lawrence Taylor... EVER... Growing up I love to watch him dominate. There were 4 players from that era... Dickerson, Taylor, Reggie White and a bit later Derrick Thomas who were what I call modern NFL players. In other words players who had the athleticism, strength. size and speed to play in todays game. That's why they dominated.. they played in a time where they were freaks and not the norm. And also the passing games were not evolved as they asre today. Making Dickerson stand out even more. These guys were the pioneers of the modern NFL in terms of what teams looked for. I'll put it in another way.... Taylor dominated while often being high as a kite on cocaine during games... Today's game you have to have the mind going too as I think a poster alluded to.. that is what makes a Pro Bowler in todays game because the physical attributes of a Taylor et. all is common these days.



Ants
Veteran
Posts: 2386
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:57 am

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:29 am

We can dream.
I am indeed excited to see what this team does this season. 8-)


:idea: Let's win some games.

Bones
Rookie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:07 am

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:11 am

I hope your assessment pans out, but remember this is football - not track and field. Football instincts are a lot harder to measure.



User avatar
Dick84
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7725
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:21 am

I want to get back to something...
The Rams don't *need* Ebukam to be a Von Miller. They just need him to be very solid, and I think we can fully expect that.
Remember Mike Wilcher? I'm thinking in those terms.. though I'm not expecting 12.5 sacks from Ebukam this season. I do see him as someone who can take in 8-10.


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

User avatar
CierraRam
Veteran
Posts: 656
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:24 am
Location: Oregon

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:50 pm

Dick84 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:21 am
I want to get back to something...
The Rams don't *need* Ebukam to be a Von Miller. They just need him to be very solid, and I think we can fully expect that.
Remember Mike Wilcher? I'm thinking in those terms.. though I'm not expecting 12.5 sacks from Ebukam this season. I do see him as someone who can take in 8-10.
I suppose if AD let Ebukam hang out with him and learn those hand techniques of his, then Ebukam can get those 12 plus sacks. I do remember Wilcher and the one knock on him was that he didnt have the aggressiveness consistently and if had, then his career would have been something special. MW had all the tools though for sure.



User avatar
29TheBest
Starter
Posts: 440
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:57 am

Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:06 pm

Well to me its what inside that organ pumping the blood!! But I'm hoping his coach is taking him under his wing and showing him the same numbers and asking him what is the difference between those players and himself. Then lets spend plenty of time in the film room and see what he is made of.......



Clovis
Veteran
Posts: 1993
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:59 am

Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:13 pm

With those 3 monsters up front I don't think Ebu is going to have many sack opportunities. Offenses are not going to let a QB hang around long in the pocket. IMO it's going to be a lot of runs and quick passes this D is playing against. Offenses need to milk the clock to keep the RAMS O off the field.

Ebu needs to take advantage of the limited opportunities he gets.



User avatar
69RamFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6207
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:19 pm
Location: LA-CA By way of NY/NJ

Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:28 pm

Clovis wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:13 pm
With those 3 monsters up front I don't think Ebu is going to have many sack opportunities. Offenses are not going to let a QB hang around long in the pocket. IMO it's going to be a lot of runs and quick passes this D is playing against. Offenses need to milk the clock to keep the RAMS O off the field.

Ebu needs to take advantage of the limited opportunities he gets.
With our three headed monsters up front,,, they will be able to rush the pass and stop the run...

If they are going to be double team both Suh and AD,,, that will leave our ILBers free to hit the holes untouched and make tackles on the runs or blitzes to the QB.

On passing situation,,, , our smother brothers will hold down those WRs from the LOS in which it will give enough time for our front line to make sacks on the QB...

at the same time,, our front three monsters,, they will push the pocket,, right into our OLBers...

This is going to be a fun time to watch our Defense this year... :D :D :D



User avatar
harkin
Pro-bowler
Posts: 2558
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:58 pm

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:53 pm

Physical gifts regarding strength and speed are great and essential to even get in the league. But if combine numbers were all it took, RGIII and Mike Mamula would already be preparing their HOF speeches.

Since Von Miller and LT were mentioned, don’t forget the one thing both have/had that separates the great from the good, motors that never quit.

29thebest calls it that thing pumping the blood and that’s what it is, HEART. The absolute inability to slack off or quit.

If Ebu has that, he has a chance at being exceptional. Without it there’s no chance. Sure hope he has it.



Clovis
Veteran
Posts: 1993
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:59 am

Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:21 am

harkin wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:53 pm
Physical gifts regarding strength and speed are great and essential to even get in the league. But if combine numbers were all it took, RGIII and Mike Mamula would already be preparing their HOF speeches.

Since Von Miller and LT were mentioned, don’t forget the one thing both have/had that separates the great from the good, motors that never quit.

29thebest calls it that thing pumping the blood and that’s what it is, HEART. The absolute inability to slack off or quit.

If Ebu has that, he has a chance at being exceptional. Without it there’s no chance. Sure hope he has it.
Since Ebu was picked up under Wade's watch, and kept during this season's turnover it makes me feel pretty good about the guy.



User avatar
Dick84
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7725
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:46 am

I was thinking about a better Rams comp for Ebukam...
and found him.

Kevin Greene.

Both started football later... both mid-round picks... both physical beasts who love to play.

Ebukam is just really going to need to be a quick learner.


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

User avatar
CierraRam
Veteran
Posts: 656
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:24 am
Location: Oregon

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:06 am

Dick84 wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:46 am
I was thinking about a better Rams comp for Ebukam...
and found him.

Kevin Greene.

Both started football later... both mid-round picks... both physical beasts who love to play.

Ebukam is just really going to need to be a quick learner.
It was great watching Greene explode as a player in Fritz' exotic 'Eagle defense". That defense was drawn up from scratch by Fritz specifically to mask a number of weakness' on his defense and it worked like a dream. And it's no wonder that Greene continue to shine in Lebeau's then new 3-4 zone blitz defense in Pittsburgh. It's no surprise either that the then cheap Rams fell apart after the season in which Greene blossomed because they didnt draft well to fill growing holes and didnt want to pay anyone.



User avatar
Dick84
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7725
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:08 pm

CierraRam wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:06 am
Dick84 wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:46 am
I was thinking about a better Rams comp for Ebukam...
and found him.

Kevin Greene.

Both started football later... both mid-round picks... both physical beasts who love to play.

Ebukam is just really going to need to be a quick learner.
It was great watching Greene explode as a player in Fritz' exotic 'Eagle defense". That defense was drawn up from scratch by Fritz specifically to mask a number of weakness' on his defense and it worked like a dream. And it's no wonder that Greene continue to shine in Lebeau's then new 3-4 zone blitz defense in Pittsburgh. It's no surprise either that the then cheap Rams fell apart after the season in which Greene blossomed because they didnt draft well to fill growing holes and didnt want to pay anyone.
Fritz’s Blitzes!!!


Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

EastBayRamsFan
Starter
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:28 pm

Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:46 pm

All that glitters is not gold...case in point:

Former Ram and workout warrior Anthony Hargrove, also 6'3" and full of potential but Von Miller he was not.



Clovis
Veteran
Posts: 1993
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:59 am

Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:20 am

I remember being greatly disappointed the RAMS did not draft Vernon Gholston. Hahahaha



Post Reply
Rate this topic