What season-ending injury could sink Rams in 2018?

General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
Dick84
Hall of Famer

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:24 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Clovis wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:18 am
Dick84 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:59 pm
Clovis wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:21 pm

I'd be surprised if anyone played LT better than Saffold. Pleasantly surprised but I think you man the LT position with the best available. If Saffold had to fill in I think it would be the best OL the RAMS can muster.
Well... I’m just gonna say the Eagles went with the philosophy I’m suggesting.
I think the Eagles went with the best OL the Eagles could muster. So that would mean (to me) that both philosophies were used.
Many Eagles fans/followers assumed Lane Johnson would be moved to left tackle when Peters was injured.
Instead... the Eagles went with an unproven middle round pick in Vaitai and kept the rest of the line intact.
Let’s just say you grade OL in a 1-5 scale with 5 being best. Rams current OL might look like this..

5-5-4-2-3

You move Saffold to LT and maybe it becomes this...

3-2-4-2-3

You also lose the GREAT teamwork of Sullivan & Saffold.
My scenario?

2-5-4-2-3

And before you hit me with outside rush importance... please refer to all the posts in here discussing Donald’s dominance & why an interior pass rush is crucial.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:27 am

69RamFan wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:53 am
Dick84 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:15 pm
69RamFan wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:53 pm

I totally understand what you mean about size, but look what happen to GRob,,,,,
he had all the physically tools but just was missing it mentally...

Lucas, in my eyes,, I kind of see the same thing...

Just getting beat around the corner or a spin move on the inside....
and his footwork is really bad...

As I stated,,,, both Noteboom and Demby, I see better technique and footwork...
they just need some strength in their upper body...
a year or two, I see the both of them will be ready to be starters...
Night and day.
GRob was a lazy slob.
A guy like Lucas has to fight for a roster spot. He keeps doing it.
GRob made his money and didn’t give a fuck.
We see guys like Nsekhe and Remmers develop once in a while. No, they don’t turn into Whitworth, but they can be functional. I’m not saying Lucas will develop, I’m saying guys *like* him develop into reasonable backups all the time.
Ok,,, I see what you're saying,,, but From what I saw last year, McVay only kept eight linemen, for backups, two OT and C/G....

This year they drafted three linemen.... two OT and C....
personally I don't see either Williams or Lucas beating out our two OT rookies... IMO

I see McVay only keeping eight to nine linemen... definitely not ten....
so with our three O-linemen rookies making the team... if they go nine spots...
that's a battle between Blythe, Lucas and Williams... and my pick making it will be Blythe...
8? You’re talking active roster, right?

I think 9.

Lucas or Williams will survive.
Allen is going to have to be better than Blythe to survive, I think.
If that happens... I could see Blythe not making final roster because I think Demby might beat him out for guard depth.
But... Blythe was solid & backed up 2 positions. Noteboom will be a guy who can play Guard/tackle.
Lucas or Williams are pure backup tackles.

3-24-16

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:04 pm

Dick84 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:27 am
69RamFan wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:53 am
Dick84 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:15 pm

Night and day.
GRob was a lazy slob.
A guy like Lucas has to fight for a roster spot. He keeps doing it.
GRob made his money and didn’t give a fuck.
We see guys like Nsekhe and Remmers develop once in a while. No, they don’t turn into Whitworth, but they can be functional. I’m not saying Lucas will develop, I’m saying guys *like* him develop into reasonable backups all the time.
Ok,,, I see what you're saying,,, but From what I saw last year, McVay only kept eight linemen, for backups, two OT and C/G....

This year they drafted three linemen.... two OT and C....
personally I don't see either Williams or Lucas beating out our two OT rookies... IMO

I see McVay only keeping eight to nine linemen... definitely not ten....
so with our three O-linemen rookies making the team... if they go nine spots...
that's a battle between Blythe, Lucas and Williams... and my pick making it will be Blythe...
8? You’re talking active roster, right?

I think 9.

Lucas or Williams will survive.
Allen is going to have to be better than Blythe to survive, I think.
If that happens... I could see Blythe not making final roster because I think Demby might beat him out for guard depth.
But... Blythe was solid & backed up 2 positions. Noteboom will be a guy who can play Guard/tackle.
Lucas or Williams are pure backup tackles.
I'm talking about making the 53 man roster...

McVay had 8 total linemen last season,,,
but I feel he will keep 9 this year having the three rookies and one vet on the roster,
that will be Blythe, in which he could cover two position C/G, IMO

The word on the rookie Center Allen here locally,,,
has a mean streak in him...
and he will make this team...

If Noteboom gets up to speed, to were he can fill the backup role as a swing OT...
I just don't see either Lucas or Williams making this team.... IMO..

I guess we will see more during training camp starting in July....
then I can give a better assessment.

But for now just from watching tape on the rookies and knowing what I saw last year from our O-line,,,
The Rookies are here to stay.... with one Vet for the backup roles to start the season... IMO

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:14 pm

Okay.
I don’t remember them carrying only 8 last year. Williams & Lucas
Demby is very interesting to me, got some reason. I feel like he’s gonna be a solid starter at some point.

Yeah... I’m not sure about 8 on roster. I think that’s wrong.
They went into season finale with Sullivan & Whit inactive... and I really doubt they went into that game with 6 active linemen.

3-24-16

Clovis
Veteran

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:44 pm

Dick84 wrote:
Clovis wrote:
Dick84 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:59 pm

Well... I’m just gonna say the Eagles went with the philosophy I’m suggesting.
I think the Eagles went with the best OL the Eagles could muster. So that would mean (to me) that both philosophies were used.
Many Eagles fans/followers assumed Lane Johnson would be moved to left tackle when Peters was injured.
Instead... the Eagles went with an unproven middle round pick in Vaitai and kept the rest of the line intact.
Let’s just say you grade OL in a 1-5 scale with 5 being best. Rams current OL might look like this..

5-5-4-2-3

3-2-4-2-3

My scenario?

2-5-4-2-3

And before you hit me with outside rush importance... please refer to all the posts in here discussing Donald’s dominance & why an interior pass rush is crucial.
I'm saying the best 5 making the best OL without Whitworth could be Saffold at LT. I'm talking about 5 RAMS OL and you keep pointing to a different team. You seem to have a weak inner self that flames when someone has a different opinion than you. I'm sorry you have that.

69RamFan
Hall of Famer

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:46 pm

Dick84 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:14 pm
Okay.
I don’t remember them carrying only 8 last year. Williams & Lucas
Demby is very interesting to me, got some reason. I feel like he’s gonna be a solid starter at some point.

Yeah... I’m not sure about 8 on roster. I think that’s wrong.
They went into season finale with Sullivan & Whit inactive... and I really doubt they went into that game with 6 active linemen.
My mistake, I forgot about Donnal He got cut after the 8th game

The RAMs started out the season with Nine Linemen then drop to eight linemen after their 8th game.
Then in their last game they brought up Neary for nine linemen...

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:46 pm

Clovis wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:44 pm
Dick84 wrote:
Clovis wrote:

5-5-4-2-3

3-2-4-2-3

My scenario?

2-5-4-2-3

I'm saying the best 5 making the best OL without Whitworth could be Saffold at LT. I'm talking about 5 RAMS OL and you keep pointing to a different team. You seem to have a weak inner self that flames when someone has a different opinion than you. I'm sorry you have that.
Who am I flaming? I’m talking about philosophy as much as personnel.
I gave you a real scenario and reason for my approach. I think it’s unwise to weaken 2 positions.
I also showed an example of that approach.
How is that “flaming” anyone?

By any measure of my, “flaming” ability... this wouldn’t even measure up to a match, much less the flamethrowers I’ve brought out.

3-24-16

clevelandrams
Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:42 am

Safety Blitz wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:27 am
1. Gurley
2. Suh
3. Donald
4. Whitworth
5. Talib
6.Joyner
7.Goff
8. Sullivan
9.Havenstein
10. Zeurlein
11. Cooks
12. Woods
13. Kupp
14.Bockers
15.Johnson
16. Tavon Austin (joke)
17. Write In
LOLOL not a single one. not one at all. They are raising money for a new stadium. Nothing bad will happen.
it doesnt even matter if Goff or who ever goes down. By some miracle.. because youll be dumb enough to think its a miracle.. theyll keep winning

Rammer
Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:12 am

Getting back to the main topic of the post, it's hard to tell. Last year you would have thought the Eagles couldn't win it with Foles , let alone all of the other injuries on both sides of the ball. that they had to deal with. It's like every replacement played near as well as the injured starter and the players around them stepped up their game even more. When Wentz went down, it kind of put the team into a super focused mode. Everybody around him played better.

On paper, it looks like Rams need Goff and could probably handle only one key injury to the oline. I also don't know what they look like without Gurley. Most teams, like the Eagles last year, can do just fine without their best rb but Gurley is just so important to the Rams offense, I don;t know if they could cope. I'm thinking this year they will be in a much better position to cope with and win despite injuries than last. Rams think they are good now, they expect to win. Rather than be an excuse for losing, hopefully replacement starters will just be expected to come in and do their job.

crazy-legs
Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:07 am

#1. Goff by a mile. We have no one close to his caliber on the roster...

#2. Gurley - would be a major drop off if he went down...

#3. Woods and or Kupp - they're Goff's go to guys...

#4. Whitworth - it all starts with him on the OL. He doesn't give the D squat\keeps Goff's backside clean...

#5. Any of our LB's - our weakest unit can't get weaker...

Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...

Rampager66
Pro-bowler

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:38 pm

crazy-legs wrote:

#4. Whitworth - it all starts with him on the OL. He doesn't give the D squat\keeps Goff's backside clean...

I'll take door #4 Monty.

I have this vision that LT went down and the passing game suffered bigly to the point that the opposition is once again putting 8 in the box and we are all pissed because TG30's #'s are sucking shit again

As for goff going down, funny how no one has faith in Mannion.
Reminds me of 2 years ago when we had Keenum, Foles and Goff all on the team and nobody thought any of them were worth spit.
1 year later they are the starting QB's on the top 3 seeds in the NFC final seedings.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:33 pm

Rampager66 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:38 pm
crazy-legs wrote:

I'll take door #4 Monty.

I have this vision that LT went down and the passing game suffered bigly to the point that the opposition is once again putting 8 in the box and we are all pissed because TG30's #'s are sucking shit again

As for goff going down, funny how no one has faith in Mannion.
Reminds me of 2 years ago when we had Keenum, Foles and Goff all on the team and nobody thought any of them were worth spit.
1 year later they are the starting QB's on the top 3 seeds in the NFC final seedings.
I think it’s funny that you’re comparing Mannion to Keenum & Foles.
Keenum, at least, had real game experience.
Foles? Well... there was that. 27 TD 2 int season that showed, if nothing else... when everything around him was really good, he could deliver.

3-24-16