Is this our new draft strategy?

Rate this topic
General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
Hcallahann44
Starter

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:26 am

Dumping high picks for established stars and boat loads of lower round picks...Starting to think that maybe this makes sense given that fully half of first round picks don't pan out. Maybe it makes sense to give up the number 1 every year for a seasoned veteran ...dump the 2 pick for a couple of 4s and 6s....its like getting a lot of tickets at the raffle...and i think this draft will produce a few starters...I am guessing Noteboom , OO , Kizer....not a bad haul...if we had taken a flyer on maurice hurst in the 4th i would be happy. Like moneyball....maybe it makes sense to pass on the high picks...makes for a boring draft day for rams fans though

Clovis
Veteran

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:17 am

I think the RAMS were looking to reshore the OL and build a more proper 3-4 for Wade. I like the players that were let go but the scheme fit wasn't exactly the right match. I was bummed we let Tru Jo walk but I'm over it now.

DOOM357
Starter

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:40 am

Hcallahann44 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:26 am
Dumping high picks for established stars and boat loads of lower round picks...Starting to think that maybe this makes sense given that fully half of first round picks don't pan out. Maybe it makes sense to give up the number 1 every year for a seasoned veteran ...dump the 2 pick for a couple of 4s and 6s....its like getting a lot of tickets at the raffle...and i think this draft will produce a few starters...I am guessing Noteboom , OO , Kizer....not a bad haul...if we had taken a flyer on maurice hurst in the 4th i would be happy. Like moneyball....maybe it makes sense to pass on the high picks...makes for a boring draft day for rams fans though
It's a great strategy if your picking late 1st or 2nd. There's no guarantee what and who you want will be there.

HellRam
Veteran

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:09 pm

It won't be a strategy they use long term. The Rams are in a perfect position to make a Superbowl run. Similar to how the Seahawks did it, having a Superbowl level QB on his rookie contract, along with having other pieces.

Once we pay Donald and other players. There won't be much cap room to trade for established players.

49RH8R
Starter

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:59 pm

i'm thinking it's the opposite and started a thread about that on the old PD rams talk a few months ago. we got a lot of bodies for depth this year so i think they will start loading up on 2nd and 3rd round picks in the future. combine those lower risk rookies with marquee players like peters and gurley while we still have everybody. if we trade our 1st and get some 2nds and 3rds we can get our long term answer at CB and LT.

because of projected comp picks, won't we already have (3) 3rd rounders? if we can trade our 1st for a 2nd and 3rd we'll have (2) 2nd rounders and (4) 3rd rounders. that is a lot of good football players to team with peters, donald, gurley, goff, cooks, while we can.

i would love to bring suh back again for another 11-12 mil.

malibu
Starter

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:33 am

We did fantastic this off-season, but it wouldn't have worked as well without several keys. Wade gave credibility to many of the Defensive players coming. Also a massive one year turnaround by McVay. The first year off-season acquisitions and draft Kupp, Whitworth, Woods, Johnson etc. The nucleus Goff, Gurley, Donald, Joyner a great STs.

It was like the perfect storm potential FAs like Suh, Talib ( I know he was traded, but had a choice where he was going to go), Sheilds saw the benefits of being a Ram. Cooks and Peters were traded so technically they had no option. Lastly the location of LA is a plus.

I am not sure this success in an off-season can be obtained unless the team is projecting upward or is a perennial playoff contender like NE, Pitts, GB etc.

Clovis
Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:51 am

malibu wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:33 am
I am not sure this success in an off-season can be obtained unless the team is projecting upward or is a perennial playoff contender like NE, Pitts, GB etc.
This is some Tony Robbins stuff. I like stuff that makes me think. Why do rich people get richer and why to poor people stay poor? Mindset has a bunch to do with it. It's why lottery winners squander their winnings- how one thinks.

How do playoff teams keep making good moves on players, and how do perennial cellar dwellers stay in the cellar even with high draft picks? I think everyone wants to win. I also think when a winning culture is created it's contagious.

It looks like and I hope it's real that the RAMS are creating that winning culture that players want to be part of. Great time to be a RAMS fan. Make room on the bandwagon please.

D-GenerationX
Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:37 am

It doesn't work over time, because you need to eventaully get some blue chip players on cheap deals.

So long as they lock up Cooks for sure, and Peters probably, I think these were good moves. Not locking up Cooks is a disaster. And Peters, we'll have to see how he behaves. But so long as he doesn't go off the reservation, he needs to be re-signed too.

crazy-legs
Veteran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:00 am

Each year is different. I have no issues trading away the number 1 pick if you can land a franchise QB or if you're getting a potential HOF player. I'm okay with trading any pick in any round. I still can't believe Peters only cost us a 2nd and 4th round pick. Your chances of hitting on a player of his caliber with one of those picks is slim...

With that said...

IMO you have to be careful how you go about it. Give away a #1 pick for a 25 year old player with no injury history you'll probable be okay. Do that too often for a 32 old player and you'll sink your team over time (like in 3 years if not less)...

Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...

Rate this topic