Z. Martin 84m = A. Donald Fran. Tag

General Discussion Forum n The Los Angeles Rams
99rams
Veteran

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:26 am

The Rams obviously don’t want to and don’t intend to sign Donald long term, at least not until they exhaust the franchise tag options. I don’t need a math lesson and this can’t a be shock to Donald despite the talk year after year about how badly they want to get this done. They will pay the man. It’s just unfortunate it may be like Tru Johnson and there is no upgrade over AD, not even Suh.

I just wonder, how many (if any) players have been signed to long term contracts or even retention contracts after multiple tag years? I’m betting you can count them on Mickey Mouse’s hand. Enjoy AD while he’s here and healthy!

Ants
Veteran

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:54 am

I don't think anybody is in any rush.

:idea: Let's win some games.

Rammer
Veteran

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:58 am

Maybe you are right but I don't think anything is obvious. Earlier this week, there was rampant speculation that he was waiting until Mack got his contract. Waiting for top dollar. Also, he hasn't had a single tag year yet. He's just playing under the terms of his contract. It's not too late for them to get something done. Rams have to bargain in good faith and he needs to be reasonable.

I think it is mostly Donald's fault. It's not like he is in a franchise tax year and doesn't have a contract. He can be trying to renegotiate his contract and still go to camp. The little leverage he has over them isn't enough to change anything. Regardless of all this "it's a business" talk, holding out is accomplishing nothing but slowly causing bad feelings on both sides. He probably gets a little more bitter as time goes by. The Rams have to feel a little bit like he doesn't care so much about the team anymore. Saying it's cool but inside their minds, looking at other options and making it work without him. Probably, a big reason why we have Suh.

Dick84
Hall of Famer

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:18 am

I think you meant to say Donald has no interest in signing a long term deal.

Okay, okay, okay.... I'll stop being a dick.
3-24-16

crazy-legs
Veteran

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:52 am

We don't have any money to sign Donald this year. Zip. Not a penny. Therefore no contract will be agreed upon which makes me wonder why Donald is holding out. Reduce his injury risk I suppose...

Cooks is in the same boat. Next year we have 72 million in CAP space. IMO they'll both get huge signing bonuses with a lot of the contract guaranteed and the rest will be spread out evenly over the terms of the contract or back loaded...

Donald 5 years 25 million signing bonus, 80 million guaranteed for a total of 110 million. Cooks 4 years 20 million signing bonus, 50 million guaranteed for a total of 80 million...

Judge our new coach in his third year. After all our last coach was to game strategy what Yoko Ono was to the Beatles...

D-GenerationX
Veteran

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:18 pm

Don't see the Martin connection.

NN1Badboy
Veteran

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Rammer wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:58 am
Maybe you are right but I don't think anything is obvious. Earlier this week, there was rampant speculation that he was waiting until Mack got his contract. Waiting for top dollar. Also, he hasn't had a single tag year yet. He's just playing under the terms of his contract. It's not too late for them to get something done. Rams have to bargain in good faith and he needs to be reasonable.

I think it is mostly Donald's fault. It's not like he is in a franchise tax year and doesn't have a contract. He can be trying to renegotiate his contract and still go to camp. The little leverage he has over them isn't enough to change anything. Regardless of all this "it's a business" talk, holding out is accomplishing nothing but slowly causing bad feelings on both sides. He probably gets a little more bitter as time goes by. The Rams have to feel a little bit like he doesn't care so much about the team anymore. Saying it's cool but inside their minds, looking at other options and making it work without him. Probably, a big reason why we have Suh.
I agree with what you said here. I really think they have the money. I think it’s about waiting out Mack. AD wants to and should be the highest paid defensive player in the league. If he signs and Mack tops him, then he still won’t be happy.

Clovis
Veteran

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:11 pm

99rams wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:26 am
The Rams obviously don’t want to and don’t intend to sign Donald long term,
Perhaps I'm dense but what makes it obvious? Not long ago people thought it was obvious that Suh wasn't joining the RAMS

sanbagger
Veteran

Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:35 pm

crazy-legs wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:52 am
IMO they'll both get huge signing bonuses with a lot of the contract guaranteed and the rest will be spread out evenly over the terms of the contract or back loaded...
Rams really don't back load contracts....last one I can remember that even comes close to being considered "back loading" would be Chris Long's last contract...BTW....the Rams are in excellent shape, cap wise, because of this management system in place and I agree with it....could be one of the reasons AD isn't signed yet.

99rams
Veteran

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:24 pm

yeah keephopealive. Not obvious at all. Same this as last year. Same results. D-Gen X doesn’t see the Martin connection? An OG gets 84mil and that has no impact on AD’s value? right